Let talk about the restaurant reservation policy

caribbeansun

Do you like or dislike O's current restaurant reservation policy?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like or dislike O's current restaurant reservation policy?

• Yes, I like it
    • No, I don't like it
    • I can never make up my mind

Some of you just proved my point. You tend to be so pleased with things just the way they are you don't conceive in improvement. Thank godness the CEO of O is still looking at ways to improve the experience as exhibited by the new included soda/water. I'm not sure I would ever ignor 13 per cent of my customers; it's not like you have to pick one group or the other to please.

My guess is that the smaller restaurants (since O doesn't call them specialty any longer) could be 50 percent reservations and 50 percent first come first serve and still make sure all guaranteed reservations are allowed. Do away with the booth in the morning where you go to plead for a reserveation in an open seating restaurant; that implementation seems to be at times prohibiting many from getting into the restaurants. There are probably about 10 ways to make them more predictable than what many have reported; none of which would require making them a pay per visit spot.

Ok, I'm really finished on this topic. I think I'll just go read reviews until my Nov. cruise. No more polls for me.

Thanks and I'll do a trip report when I return if anyone cares. :)

It is easy for 13% to click on a button saying they are not happy with the way things are. It is much more difficult (and perhaps impossible) for that 13% to come up with ways to make actual implementable "improvements" to the system without alienating at least a similar percentage of those people who are already happy with the status quo.

One suggestion is to get rid of the ability to make an extra reservation and make it first come first served for unreserved tables. I would assume that those (such as myself) who have had great success getting extra reservations when desired with the system as is might not like turning things into a relative crap shoot. I could envision swarms of people around the reception area most of the evening attempting to be in the "first come" group, perhaps even the formation of lines. In my opinion, not the best way to start off a nice leisurely dining experience.

I don't recall anyone arguing against free water and soda. Some things are just no-brainers. Other things, not so much so.

I am ok with the present system, but perhaps a lottery system would work. Those that wish to dine in either Polo or Toscana would let the respctive restaurant know the night before and then a random drawing of stateroom #s . The staterooms would be notified in the am if they are chosen. Might work but know matter what system is used you will never please everyone.

Jill

....My guess is that the smaller restaurants (since O doesn't call them specialty any longer) could be 50 percent reservations and 50 percent first come first serve and still make sure all guaranteed reservations are allowed.....

I've been mulling over your proposal.

It seems to me that if only 50% of availability in the specialty / small restaurants is reserved each evening, Oceania could simply double the number of guaranteed reservations per stateroom which is currently offered to fill the extra capacity. This would undoubtedly be a crowd pleaser. I assume that this has not already been done because the actual percentage of reserved tables each evening is much higher than 50%. Or perhaps there is an error with my math?

I am ok with the present system, but perhaps a lottery system would work. Those that wish to dine in either Polo or Toscana would let the respctive restaurant know the night before and then a random drawing of stateroom #s . The staterooms would be notified in the am if they are chosen. Might work but know matter what system is used you will never please everyone.

Jill

I think a free lottery would just increase demand and potentially hard feelings.

Once you start giving things away, people will enter just for the sake of entering, after all a "prize" is being given away for free.

So many questions are raised as far as implementation. How many tickets per stateroom? Would the times be assigned or would there be separate entries for separate times? How does Oceania make sure that the lottery box is not stuffed by a particularly zealous cabin? How will the perpetually unlucky folks (such as myself) feel about continuously "losing" the daily lottery. Is a lottery really in keeping with the overwall ambience of an Oceania cruise?

As you say there is no pleasing everyone. The system as it is now seems to be quite suitable for the overwhelming majoirty. I am sure Oceania gives these things a modicum of thought. If there was a simple way to improve upon things, I would assume they would have done it long ago.

I've been thinking about your post since I first read it and you know you've possibly gotten to the root of the issue or at least an unsettling part of it.

I'm not a fan of the morning "may I have a reservation please" option. In particular the part where you are asked to hand over your room key or asked your cabin number so you may be judged before they decide to allow you in or not. Why is it necessary for them to determine what room you are in before they see if there is room available in the restaurants that night?

Do I have a solution - yes, and it's very simple. Make those open times truly open times - don't ask for my room number/key card BEFORE you determine if there's availability.

Think about it, we all read all the review and posts (even in this thread) where people have received additional reservations. Yet if you were not to (i.e. receive just the the guaranteed amount) after several days of presenting yourself at breakfast to the "make a reservation desk" to take any opening, you would feel put upon which most people do not like no matter that the alternative of the GDR or Tapas is acceptable.

Make those open times truly open times - don't ask for my room number/key card BEFORE you determine if there's availability.

Why would anyone object to giving ones' room number when inquiring about a reservation?

It is not a mystery why they do it. Have you forgotten that the suite guests are paying for "priority Specialty Restaurant Reservations"?

This reminds me of the boarding situation. It is printed in all of the literature that the Suite guests will be allowed onboard first, yet people arrive at the ship early and pretend to be surprised about having to wait.

We have never been a "suites" passenger but have always boarded early except for Miami.

We usually board about 11-noon.

Just because a passenger has early boarding doesn't mean their flight may not arrive until 5 or 6pm. With flights coming in all day and people who have stayed overnight in a local hotel having to be out of their rooms usually by 11 the staff has always been good about getting people on board. If there are two passengers in line they will give preference to the suite passenger but then process everyone else.

We have no problem giving our room number to the reservation desk. If we have already had 2 extra reservations above our allotment then I think it is reasonable to try and give an open table to someone who had not had any. They also need to send a card to the room if you have a successful reservation.

In reality we have found they always seem to juggle things pretty well but then again our cruise is not "ruined' if we do not get an extra reservation!

No, I'm not forgetting that suite guests have priority, however, is the stated policy not that once on board if there are spaces available then they are supposed to be open to all. FYI, I'm not referring to the first day, I'm thinking day 2 or 3 or later after those with priority have already presumably made their reservations.

If I have the above correct, and perhaps I've misunderstood, then I have no objection to providing my room number after I'm told there is or isn't space for that evening.

Why would anyone object to giving ones' room number when inquiring about a reservation?

It is not a mystery why they do it. Have you forgotten that the suite guests are paying for "priority Specialty Restaurant Reservations"?

This reminds me of the boarding situation. It is printed in all of the literature that the Suite guests will be allowed onboard first, yet people arrive at the ship early and pretend to be surprised about having to wait.

I'm not a fan of the morning "may I have a reservation please" option. In particular the part where you are asked to hand over your room key or asked your cabin number so you may be judged before they decide to allow you in or not. Why is it necessary for them to determine what room you are in before they see if there is room available in the restaurants that night?

<snip>...I have no objection to providing my room number after I'm told there is or isn't space for that evening.

I'll take it a step further...

The moment you walk up and ask them if there are openings, shouldn't they already know if there are or aren't, and at which times?

Mind you, I'm neither complaining nor criticizing the current policy - having not sailed on Oceania (yet) it would be silly for me to take such a position. I'm just trying to picture the specifics of how this works from reading the other posts in this thread, and wondering if I'm picturing it correctly...

It was our experience that they knew....though we did start to wonder...

About 5 days in a row, we asked in the AM for another Toscana reservation for that night. We were never asked our room number, were just told immediately that there was no space.

I started to wonder HOW everyone posting here was able to get extra times so easily, but on the very last night on board, we SCORED! My faith was restored.

When we booked our first cruise in 04 for May 05, the policy was 2 reservations in each restaurant for everyone. By the time we boarded, it had changed to 1 unless you were in a suite. We did get our 4 reservations plus maybe one more, I think.

So I'm thinking that in order to give more to the suites they cut the rest of us back to 1 in each restaurant. There are only so many to go around, after all.

I voted that I was satisfied because I can't see any other way to make it work and I do like that it is free, not an extra charge. And we do like the varied menu in the GDR. In fact I remember one night when the GDR menu was particularly tempting and we were booked to dine upstairs. Not bad if that is the worst thing to happen in your day.....

Mo

• 3 weeks later...

So happy to read this thread COMPLETELY. I was not going to complain, but one could think with only a quick read that you might feel a bit "second class citizen" if you were not in a suite. Sounds like we have many options, and the food that gets the most raves is the tapas. Go figure!

I don't want to start something, but why is it that those who do not book a suite which affords additional reservations, or priority embarkation feel that they are "second class citizens" entitled to the same. I have chosen a economy cabin on many ocassions and at no time ever have I complained that I didn't receive other benefits because I booked a lower deck cabin. I have been in cabins when first cruising where I was on the same deck as the crew and I didn't feel entitled to those who booked a more expensive cabin. I was pleased with the experience of the cruise. As I worked my way up to PH suites on Oceania, I simply received one or two nites extra but see this pop up all of the time. Trust me, I am not booking a suite because of additonal nights in the speciality restaurants. Oceania staff treat all passengers the same. Additional nights are perks for those who spent a thousand dollars more. Sorry for the rant. Feel much better now.

Oops... first cruise, first post and apparently I did not make myself clear. I was trying to say that I was happy many options were offered. Obviously, if you pay significanatly more for a cruise, you have more amenities. I do think it would be less confusing to make it clear that open dining is not really the case in two of the heavily advertised venues. I will eat with gusto and love this cruise because we love people and new places. Sorry A Knitter if I sounded like I was whining.

Oops... first cruise, first post and apparently I did not make myself clear. I was trying to say that I was happy many options were offered. Obviously, if you pay significanatly more for a cruise, you have more amenities. I do think it would be less confusing to make it clear that open dining is not really the case in two of the heavily advertised venues. I will eat with gusto and love this cruise because we love people and new places. Sorry A Knitter if I sounded like I was whining.

mamaclark, it wasn't just your rant which you are entitled to your opinion.(which is why I didn't quote your reply) Everyone has a choice to book the cabin of their choice. On a cruise to Europe several years ago, I booked a PH. Suites have a different color card. As I was getting out of the elevator, with my card in hand, a comment was made from another passenger who sarcastically bellowed to make way for royalty. He was rather stunned by my reply. People make decisions to fly business or first and board before others holding an economoy ticket. Again, a perk you pay for and a choice one makes to spend $$$. :):):)

mamaclark, it wasn't just your rant which you are entitled to your opinion.(which is why I didn't quote your reply) Everyone has a choice to book the cabin of their choice. On a cruise to Europe several years ago, I booked a PH. Suites have a different color card. As I was getting out of the elevator, with my card in hand, a comment was made from another passenger who sarcastically bellowed to make way for royalty. He was rather stunned by my reply. People make decisions to fly business or first and board before others holding an economoy ticket. Again, a perk you pay for and a choice one makes to spend $$$. :):):)

Aw, c'mon -- what was your reply to the smart aleck on the elevator?? Dish!!!

Aw, c'mon -- what was your reply to the smart aleck on the elevator?? Dish!!!

I told him being in the Penthouse was my reward for being a very, very good girl. :D Feeling the effects of my martini, then I did a sexy walk off the elevator. Looking back, I could have hurt myself throwing my hips out like that. :eek:

I told him being in the Penthouse was my reward for being a very, very good girl. :D Feeling the effects of my martini, then I did a sexy walk off the elevator. Looking back, I could have hurt myself throwing my hips out like that. :eek:

My mind works in wierd ways but, wouldn't it have been better to substitute bad for good!!:D That would have really shaken them up.

Love the response.

Going back to Cruise Critic 101 to see what in the world got you so exercised about a simple post! I have NEVER been on a cruise and made a simple observation. Seems you have a bit of a status issue -- I don't. I'm out of here!

Going back to Cruise Critic 101 to see what in the world got you so exercised about a simple post! I have NEVER been on a cruise and made a simple observation. Seems you have a bit of a status issue -- I don't. I'm out of here

Like u I am entitled to my opinion. My cabin status is what I choose it to be. It is my vacation. Perhaps this is not for u. My apologies.

Going back to Cruise Critic 101 to see what in the world got you so exercised about a simple post! I have NEVER been on a cruise and made a simple observation. Seems you have a bit of a status issue -- I don't. I'm out of here!

Jeez, Mamaclark, what are *you* so worked up about? A Knitter said her response was not aimed at you and that you were entitled to your opinion!

Knitter, loved your response to Elevator Guy. He had it coming -- and then some!!!

Archived