Caribbeans experts... need feedback

gunnercade

My husband and I would like to take a weeklong cruise to the Caribbeans during the first half of December (before the holiday crowd). We enjoyed a first cruise to Alaska with HAL, but HAL does not have the dates we'd like. Which company would you recommend for a Caribbean itinerary? We are in our 40s and have little interest in party ships or in being surrounded by kids. We do like nature more than shopping.We are reasonably fit and are interested in activities such as snorkeling, biking and hiking rather than nightlife. Any recommendation is welcome. Thanks.

You would probably like Celebrity. They don't focus on partying but instead have a bit more subdued experience. We are in our late 40s and find that most of the passengers are mid-30s and older. There are generally fewer children onboard, but not nearly as many as you will find on Carnival or Royal Caribbean who both promote the family atmosphere.

As to the activities that's more related to excursions than life on the ship.

Check out the Celebrity board and read some of the reviews. Good luck with your research!

That time of year you would not likely encounter many kids on any line. We've cruised on Carnival with and without our kids; like you, we're not interested in nightlife. Carnival had plenty to keep us busy and interested - if you don't want to party, you just don't - you're not going to feel "left out " or not part of the in-crowd!

I have been to the caribbean many times and my favorite lines are Princess and HAL (in that order). Celebrity would also be a good choice, just not mine. I find them a bit on the "stuffy" side but, I have had some nice cruises with them.

If either you or dh smoke than avoid Celebrity which has a very strict smoking policy. Because you enjoyed your HAL cruise I know that you would enjoy Princess or Celebrity.

We certainly have enjoyed Princess but suggest that you look at the intineraries of both Princess and Celebrity and chose the one that meets your date and the ports you would like to visit. There is not much of a differnce between either of the lines.

Another vote for Celebrity or Princess. I like Celebrity and my husband, Princess. The swing vote for him was the desserts and International Cafe as he has a sweet tooth and perfered the Princess menu.

I very highly recommend the Celebrity Solstice Western Caribbean route, going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, and Roatan. We did that cruise in April and thought it was fantastic, not only the cruise and itinerary, but the ship also.

By the way, we are a mid-30's couple. :)

That time of year you would not likely encounter many kids on any line. We've cruised on Carnival with and without our kids; like you, we're not interested in nightlife. Carnival had plenty to keep us busy and interested - if you don't want to party, you just don't - you're not going to feel "left out " or not part of the in-crowd!

Additionally to the above, the week you said you plan to go, most kids are still in school, so even on Carnival, there won't be a lot of kids. That being said, from what I've seen on 2 previous cruises, the teens and early 20 somethings, who pretty much have the same run of the boat that adults do, can be more irritating than the younger kids (U-12), who are monitored more closely. As for the party aspect, we just got off Carnival, and aside from a lot of kids in the midships pools, I was not aware of any "partying". Just pick the lounge/entertainment venue that appeals to you.

Any ship will be fine...week long cruises have less "partying" than 3 or 4 nighters, anyway. And, if someone else is partying, there's no need for it to affect you at all! That's what's nice about cruising...do as much or as little as you like...it's up to you!

I'd pick by itinerary, since you seem to be interested in the port stops the most! Get a guidebook on the Caribbean Islands and find out which suits the things you like to do the best! Then pick the ship by whichever goes to as many islands as you want to visit!

• 1 year later...

Based on what you say interests you, I would choose a cruise that goes to Dominica, St Kitts, St Lucia and the like. These islands are more geared for eco-tourism than just shop and go to the beach that some of the other islands are known (and very popular) for. For snorkeling, St John is my favorite and although most ships don't stop there, it's a short ferry ride over from St Thomas, where a lot of ships do call at, on their Caribbean runs. Any ship is going to have a certain amount of nightlife , festive evening atmosphere, and "partying" but for what you say you want to go on a cruise for (snorkeling, biking, hiking), those are what you are going to be doing during the day and I would think where you are is going and where you are going to be spending the day at is more important then the ship you are going there on. I'd get a Caribbean guide book and see what islands offer what, then choose your cruise by which ship goes to most of the islands that appeal to you the most.

Archived