RevNeal LIVE! From the ms Prinsendam

RevNeal

I almost have pity for you ... having to come home. It's so stinking hot here ... with more to come. Oh, well. Let's just hope your A/C at home is working!

Yessiree....hot as hell pretty much sums it up. :eek:

Safe travels to you, Rev!

Send some heat to Calgary. This has been the coldest summer I remember having in a long time. I had the heat on in my vehicle last night:eek:.

Send some heat to Calgary. This has been the coldest summer I remember having in a long time. I had the heat on in my vehicle last night:eek:.

The heat was on in my car last night too....until I realized I had a window down. ;)

We would gladly share 30 or so degrees of our heat with you if we could only figure out how to do it.

Send some heat to Calgary. This has been the coldest summer I remember having in a long time. I had the heat on in my vehicle last night

*****>

We would gladly share 30 or so degrees of our heat with you if we could only figure out how to do it.

Hey,

We have more than enough here to share as well . . . .

Any takers ?????

Greg:

Well Done & Well Written, Smooth skies and the wind at your back,

r.

I have landed in London and am sitting in the Admirals Club, eating a sandwich and clearing emails I had allowed to pile up when internet was at a premium.

WARNING ... the check-in process for British Air at the airport in Amsterdam is horribly inefficient. We were waiting in a deceptively short line for an hour and 15 minutes just to check in. The automated check-in system wasn't working and so they were having to process boarding passes at the counter. They only had 4 counter people, half of whom didn't know what they were doing and the other half didn't appear to care. They were diverting everybody on the 10:45 am flight ahead of everybody else, meanwhile we on the 11:45 am flight were backing up and falling behind. HAL did a GREAT job disembarking us from the Prinsendam and getting us to the airport by 8:45 am, but it was well past 10:30 am when we finally cleared through passport control and had the 2 mile walk to Gate D12 for our flight. I'm not kidding, my pedometer recorded 2.1 miles from the security check-point to the gate. We arrived at gate security and check-in (they do security at EVERY gate with a metal detector and a scanner for your bags) and then, had to stand and wait for a half hour before boarding in a crowded waiting room (which only grew more crowded with many passengers from the Prinsendam!)

I guess the point to be garnered here is that disembarking the ship at 8 am, it IS possible to make it to the airport, make it through check-in, and make it to and through the departure gate with 30+ minutes to spare. That's the good news. The bad news is that it was a whole lot of hurry-up and wait, combined with "now run." :D Hey, it's a way to work off those wonderful meals aboard ship!!!!!

The really good news was that BA had us all aboard the aircraft and we were backing away from the gate nearly 15 minutes EARLY, meaning we landed at Heathrow at straight-up noon. It took a while to go from Terminal 5 to Terminal 3 (due to people-traffic), but it wasn't that bad. Now, we wait. But, we wait in comparative comfort in the Admirals Club. Traveling by air is always such a hassle, but it's a necessary hassle in order to get to make these kinds of cruises!

Blessings!

I'll have to read this all later, after we get home tomorrow. It was just a few hours ago we said our good-byes to Greg and Christopher. We disembarked an hour after them and it was the smoothest we've ever encountered. We walked right off the ship, no waits for the elevator, to be scanned, or for a taxi, and were checked-in at our hotel here in Amsterdam within an hour after departing our cabin.

We talked to a number of people here at the hotel who are heading to the Prinsendam. Our (and Greg/Christopher's) favorite server in the Ocean Bar will be surprised when new passengers already know her name.

While Greg was making his way to LHR, we were taking a great canal cruise arranged through our hotel. He would have loved it, being on a smaller boat and getting places the larger tour boats coudn't go.

We're already looking forward to our next cruise with Greg, Christopher, along with others - next year.

Thank you so much for taking us along with you on this wonderful cruise, Greg. Thinking of you and Christopher and wishing you a safe journey home. We did enjoy meeting you in Rotterdam and on the Eurodam Prelude cruise in 2008.

Having enjoyed a fantastic Eastern Mediterranean cruise on the Noordam last September, we have booked a Eurodam Baltic cruise next June and are now seriously considering the Arctic Explorer on the Prinsendam in July, which has a very similar itinerary to the one you have just completed. Your fantastic descriptions and photos have convinced us that it's a 'must-do'!

However, we are deserting HAL in November to do a 5 night cruise on Cunard's new Queen Elizabeth. It's very convenient for us as we live close to Southampton. When we enquired recently our TA told us it was completely sold out when the QE maiden itineraries went on sale in April 2009! Amazingly she has managed to find us a cabin, which we're thrilled about. It looks as though she's going to be a very beautiful ship, but we're still sure that HAL will suit us better than Cunard!

Cheryl and Peter

Thank you so much for sharing the cruise with all of us dreamers. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts, you really did give a true picture of the ship and the cruise.

My 9 year old son and I both drooled over the pictures, he kept saying "wow, that' unbelievable!". DH and I are definately adding this trip to our 'what-to-do-when-we-retire' list.

Home.

It's GOOD to be home.

As wonderful as the cruises are, when they're over it's GOOD to be home.

I'm exhausted. It's nearly impossible to do more than just nap on a west-bound flight from Europe to the USA. It makes for a SUPER LONG DAY, but at least it will be easier to adjust to this than it is going the other way.

Bed will come early tonight, followed by work tomorrow.

Again, it's GOOD to be home.

Dear Greg:

When you've had time to rest up and answer other more pressing questions, could you tell me about the formal nights, some of which seemed to be "themed" from your posts?

We're on the P-dam 24-night FLL-AMS with 6 formal nights next May-June (2011), and we just need to know what to pack. (Our other 3 HAL sailings didn't have a "Black and White Ball," etc. Sounds FUN!)

Many thanks,

Mary-Lou (and group)

Welcome home!

You did a splendid job on your blog, and had us all enjoying cruising along with you.

With all the detail you provided on HAL, I was just curious how well AA treated you on the flight home? Did you have one of those F-Class 'suites'?

... could you tell me about the formal nights, some of which seemed to be "themed" from your posts?

We're on the P-dam 24-night FLL-AMS with 6 formal nights next May-June (2011), and we just need to know what to pack. (Our other 3 HAL sailings didn't have a "Black and White Ball," etc. Sounds FUN!)

While I'm not Greg, I can try to answer from a woman's perspective. The only themed night where passenger clothing was tied in was the 'Black & White Ball'. It is easy for the men as tuxes are B&W. Ladies wore pretty combinations of black, white, and silver. As on other formal nights the VAST majority we saw wore suits/tuxes and dressy dresses/pants-sparkley tops. The very few who didn't, did stand out.

You will have a great time, wish I were with you.

We were with Rev Neal on this cruise, and we did have a great time. Rev Neal is great companion for any voyage, he has done several cruises and so knows some useful ropes and if the conversation flags for a moment he can usually find a suitable anecdote.

This was a great cruise and when I have recovered I'll do a blog on the highlights. I can recommend this cruise to anyone who can take cooler weather, we had pretty good weather the whole cruise.

just curious if Thom, Tina and Frank are on board as CD, future cruise consultant, and port lecturer???? What a bunch of crazies if they are...............

ENJOY!!!!

Yes, we had Tom and Tina as CD and CC and Frank as CGuru.

It is wonderful to know we will not be disappointed in booking it.

It is impressive. We were astonished to find that the mildly strenuous excursion that we booked online (2 people) had turned in to strenuous (3 people). However you can elect to stay at the wheel and miss out the Antoine wall bit. This in fact gives a good opportunity to see the wheel in action and photograph it from outside the water tank. Many of our group took this option as it allows time for a coffee and cake as you watch the wheel do its stuff.

I booked a category M, inside guaranty. I am told they are VERY small

We booked N inside guaranty and got an MM, 509. It is smallish but well layed out, we were OK with two. The beds are arranged in an L shape head to head. We have heard of people trying to rearrange them but we don't see how that would improve anything. There is only one chair and for prolonged TV viewing it gets a bit uncomfortable but you could alternate with the bed. We had several DVDs with us to catch up on and we manged fine. If the TV was not so high up things would be better.

This info is from Wikipedia

Extreme oceanic climate is the main cause for no trees growing in Faroe Island. The climate has high winds which pick up large quantities of sea salt into the air, making unfavorable conditions for tree growth.

Maria

Wikipedia is usualy a good source but is a little off here I think. It may be some of the reason, but there are sheltered places where trees might get established, small glades and cwms, were it not for the sheep. The farmers seemingly use every inch of the islands to graze their sheep, they boat them out to the cliff faces among the sea birds, where they seem at home on very steep grass slopes.

With a high salt content in the grass and vegetation, Faroes Islands lamb should be especialy tasty. Sheep raised on some of the Welsh marshes (note not Marches) fetch good prices and are know as pre-seasoned sheep.

We will be cruising with Ellen and Avi- from Rome to Athens

Michelejill (Sue and Steve from Minneapolis) Include us in the meet and greet!

You have to register under ROLL CALLS for that specific cruise, not on this thread. Look for a the roll call for your cruise. You have posted in the wrong place.:eek:

Sorry. And welcome to cruise critic.

Glad you had such a great trip and made it home safely. Thanks for the wonderful reports that let me relive my trip from last year. It's always interesting to hear other peoples thoughts on a trip I've done. Can't wait to see more of your wondeful photos. This is another trip on my list of trips to repeat someday.

Home.

It's GOOD to be home.

As wonderful as the cruises are, when they're over it's GOOD to be home.

I'm exhausted. It's nearly impossible to do more than just nap on a west-bound flight from Europe to the USA. It makes for a SUPER LONG DAY, but at least it will be easier to adjust to this than it is going the other way.

Bed will come early tonight, followed by work tomorrow.

Again, it's GOOD to be home.

Greg, thank you for your great reports. I hope you weren't on the hook for a sermon today, although I assume that would have been work done while on the cruise.

I do have a question. I'm looking at this cruise for next year. I'm not afraid to fly but really detest long flights. The Prinsendam arrives in Amsterdam on August 15, and QMII leaves Southampton that evening for New York. I would need to arrive at Heathrow by early afternoon to make it work. Am I crazy for even thinking about this idea?

Again, thanks for a great report.

Roy

Greg, thank you for your great reports. I hope you weren't on the hook for a sermon today, although I assume that would have been work done while on the cruise.

I do have a question. I'm looking at this cruise for next year. I'm not afraid to fly but really detest long flights. The Prinsendam arrives in Amsterdam on August 15, and QMII leaves Southampton that evening for New York. I would need to arrive at Heathrow by early afternoon to make it work. Am I crazy for even thinking about this idea?

Thank you, Roy ... and, no, you're NOT crazy about thinking about that idea. I'd think of it too!

We flew from Amsterdam to London on the 11:45 am BA flight, arriving at London Heathrow at 12 noon London time (there's an hour time change between the two cities). So, it's CERTAINLY do-able. I imagine Cunard would have transfer service to get you to Southampton from Heathrow, so that problem would be solved.

Actually, it's a BRILLIANT idea ... if you've got the time and the money. DO IT!

Roy ... I forgot to answer this. Yes, today is a work day for me. I preached and celebrated the Eucharist. It was good. I enjoyed it. I had prepared the message for today before leaving on Vacation ... thank God for good notes. :)

Rev Neal

Thank you for your wonderful commentary on your most recent trip.

I just finished reading all 16 pgs--it is a rainy day in NY state--all I can say is WOW! Your comments about the Prinsendam, your pictures and in general your presentation was so special. Thank you for sharing and bringing so many along with you.

Welcome home to the USA

Archived