Elite Lounge Etiquette

We were on the Summit last week and enjoyed the cocktail lounge every evening at 5:30. The bartender and server were extremely gracious to us every evening and at the end of the week we provided a card with 20.00 in it for their kind efforts.

I can't believe someone would say that.....oh wait, I was just on the Summit last week and witness a whole bunch of people who felt they were "entitled" to be treated like kings and queens even at the expense of the crew.

I can't say enough about how wonderful and lovely the staff are during the Elite events in the Michael's Club. I have absolutely never seen a grim face no matter how run off their feet they may be.

quote=Xellent;25375403]On one voyage we were joined at our nightly table by one couple because they had noticed how well we were served. When he saw that I tipped the waiter he questioned why I did that when Celebrity owes us this perk... :eek::rolleyes:

There are some very nice people working Michaels' who work hard rushing from table to table, but they remember those who appreciate their efforts and their friendly service.

Absolutely, we tip each time. Have yet to see any server too busy to stick a buck or two in his/her pocket.

OK, they get an extra $10 for two hours. During that time, they would probably serve maybe 20 drinks if in a busy spot, and their 15% would be about $20. So, they would actually come up with less if they weren't tipped.

Have seen quite a number serve a great many drinks without getting a single tip from the groups. Their attitude never changed. I will say that we just might have gotten a bit better service, and a reminder that it was time to get a last drink before close-- and some lively conversations when things weren't busy or we saw them in other bars around the ship.

The tips are shared by the entire staff including the tips that you hand them in cash. They must turn over all tips or get in trouble. The staff is being watched. The only way to really tip is in a closed space with nobody else watching. You can tip your cabin attendant inside the cabin. The staff in Michael's lounge must pool their tips. We once told a cabin attendant that we wanted to give him an extra tip...and he told us the real deal. I like to tip if I know that the tip goes to that person who did something nice for me.

I have cruised Celebrity before. How do you become an Elite Member?

Thanks

You become elite once you have completed 10 cruise credits.

You can get a cruise credit for a 3 day to 11 day cruise, an extra point if the cruise is in concierge or suite, an extra credit for cruises 12 days or longer.

You need 10 cruise credits to become elite/discover. A cruise counts for 1 credit...longer cruises can get you 2. a suite can get you 2. Check the Celebrity or Azamara Captain's Club to see the qualifications. It took me a long time to make it to elite...but it's worth it.

We tip every few days with the largest tip at the end of the trip. We also try and frequent the bar "our server" works at and will add extra on some signed for drinks -

Just something for the tip by drink folks to remember, just because you do not see a fellow cruiser had over cash every day do not automatically ostracise them, though I totally agree if your further investigation reveals they believe they had a right to their drinks and no need to recognise service then I fully understand why you might not keep a seat for them

We had a small group meeting in Michael's Club on the Century. Gave an envelope with tip to our server and told him how much we appreciated his service. Went to Michael's Club later that evening for my usual Ginger Ale. Our waiter from Elite Hour served us and told us the drinks were on him. He wouldn't let me sign the guest check so I took care of it in another way.

We are sailing on the Summit August 1st and this is my first time cruising as an Elite Member. I read in other posts that there is an Elite Lounge that will serve breakfast with cocktails and an evening happy hour with cocktails and passed bites. I did not know about this until reading posts on cruise critic and I have a few questions.

1)Are the alcoholic drinks included in the elite lounge for breakfast and evening happy hour?

2)If so' date=' should I bring cash to tip servers since we will not be paying for our drinks and how much should I tip them?

My thought is that if we are not paying for our drinks, the servers are not getting gratuities I would hate for them to feel shorted. I have also found that on other cruises if you tip your servers, they are more likely to get you what you want faster. I guess I don’t want to be ignorant.

if we plan to use the lounge all trip long in the evening & have the same servers (usually you do) we tip at the end--either way is appreciated greatly...

have not done the am part yet so have to hear what other folks reply...

I forgot to mention - a slight off tangent to tipping - but one of the best rewards you can give these servers is a mention on an attention to detail card - the ultimate long term recognition that cannot be pooled. We put a card in as soon as we settle with a server and see regular good service from them - usually around Day 3. The individual usually knows you have done this by about day 6-7 anyway and we had one server who came and thanked us saying he had been given extra time off and a trip on a crew shore excursion to somewhere he really wanted to go during the next cruise and how he could not wait to phone and tell his family and send them pictures.

Its a really great personal way to give rewards where they are due (in addition of course to any cash you wish to hand over)

The tips are shared by the entire staff including the tips that you hand them in cash. They must turn over all tips or get in trouble. The staff is being watched. The only way to really tip is in a closed space with nobody else watching. You can tip your cabin attendant inside the cabin. The staff in Michael's lounge must pool their tips. We once told a cabin attendant that we wanted to give him an extra tip...and he told us the real deal. I like to tip if I know that the tip goes to that person who did something nice for me.
Where did you get this information? Sorry I believe you have been misinformed.:eek:

[quote name='teajak']Where did you get this information? Sorry I believe you have been misinformed.:eek:[/quote]

Tips are, in fact, shared. Just ask any bar tender or server after you get to know them during a sailing. Whether RCI or X, if you tip a bar tender on the bar tab slip under "additional tip" it will be shared with every bar tender on the ship! If you tip with cash, it will be shared with each bar tender and bar server working that bar at that time. In Michaels there is no bar tab from 4:00pm till 6:00pm so each cash tip is shared with the bar tender (usually one) and the servers. This is the way it has been on just about every one of our sailings. On two ships I got to know the Bar Managers very well and even tipped them for service beyond the call. Asked them if they had to share, since I wanted it to be just for them, and they said in their case it would stay in their pocket. Again, if you want information, just ask the crew members or officers. They usually love to talk about their jobs.

Archived