Who tips the maitre 'd ??

sweetlouise

Just curious how many people actually tip the Maitre 'd in the dining room?? I have not been on one cruise in my adult life (the last 5 cruises) where a maitre 'd has done ANYTHING to warrant a tip. He comes out the first day and addresses the entire dining room (then leaves) ... then comes out the last night and sings to say goodbye. Where does he (or Carnival) get off thinking he deserves one ?? It is also annoying to me that they provide an envelope for it like it's expected to give him one ... yet they don't provide one to use for our room steward who work 100 times harder.

I did on my first cruise and haven't done it since.

I finshed my latest cruise a couple of days ago. On the last night, he was standing outside the MDR. I'm sure he was there to collect his tips, because I never saw his greet anyone. I did not see one person stop and give him anything.

Maybe we're missing something, but I'm not sure what he does to warrant a tip.:confused:

We have tipped them on occasion. One cruise we had years ago he actually took my arm in his and walked me to my dinner table each night...he also came around each night to make sure everything was OK...he was the only one that ever did anything like that though...

I have never cruised before (will be soon), but based upon what I have read on here, I plan to check out our dining room assignment when we first board and see where we are seated. I will tip the maitre 'd if I request a table change, but other then that, I see no need to tip them.

Your room steward already receives tips from the mandatory gratuity you pay (but you probably already know that)

On our last cruise the M'd pretty much behaved the way you described above, but I didn't want to feel awkward just walking by him without handing him the envelope (was our first cruise, wasn't sure what it would be like) so we wrote him a thank you note and put it into the envelope since we didn't figure he had done anything particularly special for our small party.

Out of six cruises Ithink we have tipped the maitre'd twice. If I only see him the first night and then the last night waiting for his envelope, I don't tip. A couple times we had really entertaining maitre'd s who talked to us every night and came by the tables. So we tipped them a little extra. We went on the galley tour on our first cruise and were told of all the responsibility that they have for ordering supplies for each cruise. But I would imagine (correct me if I'm wrong) that they are one of the employees who are paid fairly well.

We did on our first cruise, simply because we were caught off guard by the envelope. Didn't give him much, but did tip. But, he didn't do anything for us...we never even spoke to him. I don't doubt he worked hard, but in retrospect, we probably didn't need to tip him. I won't tip in future cruises unless we have a problem that he helps resolve.

I did it for the first time on our last cruise. Actually, it was the Assistant MD. Several nights he worked to sit our large group together for Your Time Dining and one night he opened my bottle of wine and poured a glass for all who requested one. No corkage fee. He was also very friendly and funny. He goes by "Chubby" and was in the Imagination DR on the Elation.

Most of the time the MD comes around to our table and makes small talk or cracks a joke. I've never seen the need to tip for that.

Yes, I know our room stewards already have the automatic tip but it would be nice to be provided with something to put a little extra in at the end of the cruise. Next one I'm bringing my own envelopes :-)

I guess times have changed. When I was growing up my Mom took us on a few cruises. Of course the ships were smaller then, but I still remember the Maitre 'd walking around from table to table EACH NIGHT to greet EVERYONE. He always made a fuss over my sister and I and everyone that had kids.

On our last cruise 2 weeks ago, DH wanted to take the tip envelope and put a piece of paper in saying something about how he's getting nothing because he DID NOTHING! I wouldn't let him. I figured it was better to just walk by and ignore him.

Yes, I know our room stewards already have the automatic tip but it would be nice to be provided with something to put a little extra in at the end of the cruise. Next one I'm bringing my own envelopes :-)

I guess times have changed. When I was growing up my Mom took us on a few cruises. Of course the ships were smaller then, but I still remember the Maitre 'd walking around from table to table EACH NIGHT to greet EVERYONE. He always made a fuss over my sister and I and everyone that had kids.

On our last cruise 2 weeks ago, DH wanted to take the tip envelope and put a piece of paper in saying something about how he's getting nothing because he DID NOTHING! I wouldn't let him. I figured it was better to just walk by and ignore him.

Not always, we have had cruises where the Maitre'd has walked around, asked if everything is OK ,c an (He/She) can do anything for us. Still think you can get envelopes at the Guest Relation desk.

Only tipped the M'd once. Last couple of cruises I couldn't even tell you who he was.

The one we did tip was one that gave us a cruise ship picture they used to pass out in the dining room on the last elegant night. They no longer give these out and the M'd was kind enough to dig one up and give to us.

Other than that I am not sure he deserves one. He makes well above what the otherstaff does and they(other staff) are the ones that work for us.

I tipped the Maitre'D on our first cruise , but not on the second.

Next Cruise I am going to put some Canadian Tire Money in the envelope.

LOL! I bet he will try to exchange it for USD!;)

IF the Maitre'D does me a favor like changing my table to a more desirable location or accommodating a large group at one or two tables next to each other, I'll give him an extra $20 or so at the end... Other than that, I'd really not tip him/ her.

We tipped a small amount on our first cruise- once again only saw him twice the whole cruise and didn't want to feel awkward. We tipped more on our second b/c the he came around every night and spent a great deal of time talking to everyone and asking everyone where they were from and what they did that day.

Just curious how many people actually tip the Maitre 'd in the dining room?? I have not been on one cruise in my adult life (the last 5 cruises) where a maitre 'd has done ANYTHING to warrant a tip. He comes out the first day and addresses the entire dining room (then leaves) ... then comes out the last night and sings to say goodbye. Where does he (or Carnival) get off thinking he deserves one ?? It is also annoying to me that they provide an envelope for it like it's expected to give him one ... yet they don't provide one to use for our room steward who work 100 times harder.

I tipped one this year for the first time in six cruises. I will explain to you why I did this. We had Anytime dining in the Da Vinci dining room on the Ruby Princess (12 days). He got us the table area we wanted on a consistent basis no matter what the time and helped with my wife's allergy. There was no envelope and there is generally no extra tipping in Anytime dining rooms since there are a couple of dining rooms and you can get multiple waitstaff. But since we were in the same are, we also had the same waitress and and assistant waiter and we tipped them extra as well. I think there are times when servers go beyond the call and that was the case.

We tip the MD if he does something to make our dining better or if he has changed our table at our request.

Some will come around the DR and talk to us several times during the cruise and than we will probably give him a tip.

Otherwise see no reason to do so.

However DW has some major food allergies and she will work with one of the asst's each night to order the next days dinner. She (usally a She) will get a very nice tip for this.

We do give a small tip to the Maitre 'D on each cruise. They are responsible for the entire food service operation on the ship, including the Lido restaurant. Our experience has always been, when we need something ~ they do their best to make it happen, so we gladly give them a little something for a job well done.

Archived