Who tips the maitre 'd ??

sweetlouise

Do you tip the DR Manager when you eat at Applebee's, Olive Garden, or even Ruth Chris or Morton's?

There's your answer for if you tip the MaitreD'.

The Matire D' is responsible for assigning all guests to a table, trying to match age, couples, singles, teens, etc with the same. They also are responsible for all the training and overseeing of all the waiters and dining room operations, as well as many other things. They also are supposed to take care of any issues that arise, changing dining times, tables, etc for those who request them. If you have dinner in the MDR, you receive good service, food is delivered on time, and you have no issues, then the Matire D has done their done.

Hope this helps. :)

OK....well by showering, getting plenty of water, at the right temp, consistantly, the water flow engineer has done his job. Do I tip him too? Come on.

We just got off the Pride. I never saw the M'd at ALL. Seriously, not even on the last day. We received the envelope in our cabin, and when we went to dinner I looked at the wall (where the pictures of senior MDR staff are located) to see what the M'd looked like so I could pick him out. He was nowhere in sight.

So... nope didn't tip the M'd

We didn't tip the MD while on the Legend. He came around once, but we didn't know who he was until he addressed the entire dining room that evening. We had $20 set aside for extra tips, that would have gone to the MD if we felt compelled, but our waiter and assistant waiter were fantastic and felt they earned that extra tip. But the MD? Sorry, I don't just go around handing money to people because I'm told to (unless it's the IRS...they're special.)

Omur is who we had in the Silver DR a few weeks ago ... and that helllooooooooooooooo got really irritating. hahaha He said it like 20 times LOL. But never once did he even walk by our table. I'm glad to see that I'm in the majority of people who don't tip the maitre 'd.

We were on the same cruise. I had late seating table 420.

Normally, we don't tip the Maitre D', but on Glory we had a great Maitre D'. We were celebrating my dad's 96th birthday and the Maitre D' made an announcement to the dining room and was absolutely wonderful to us the whole cruise. We felt he deserved a good tip.

Other times, we have never seen him at our table and when we were on Dream and had my time dining or whatever it was called, we never saw him at all. I don't even know if there is one, but we didn't look for him to tip him or maybe it was a her, lol.

I tipped the MD on our first cruise because I thought we had to. I gave him $5.

On the Legend, we had Dessi as our assistant MD. She was GREAT ! She came over to the table every night and chatted for maybe 5 or 10 minutes. We tipped her well.

The last cruise on NCL, never saw the MD. No tip.

I tip them every cruise because I usually ask for something extra and they always provide. We almost always also receive lagniappe. The maitre d' is one of the people on the ship you want to know and remember you - assuming its for a good reason. We always say hello to them on the way into the dining room. It is absurd to avoid eye contact and try to sneak in.

For the cheap people who use perceived dress code violations as a reason to not tip the maitre d', I've never had one refuse a tip from me when I was wearing jeans - which is all I have ever worn on non-formal nights.

We have tipped only on our first cruise and our most recent. On the first cruise, the MD (Khani) was super attentive to us and our daughters through the whole cruise, he made them feel very special. On our last cruise, the MD (Yusuf) was an absolute hoot - he did things I've never seen an MD do before (see pic below of his bug-eye glasses - typical of the screwball stuff he did). He was at our table virtually every night and was extremely visible and friendly. All the MD's in between.... totally forgettable.

2635700590103596279S600x600Q85.jpg

On our last cruise on the Splendor out of Long Beach I tipped him. We were a party of 12 and when my brother and I boarded we immediately went to the dining room to find our table (s). That's when we found our reservations weren't tied together. All 12 of us were scatterred around the room. The MD showed up to make changes for everyone waiting and I'm not sure how he did it but managed to find a table for 12 right in back of where the hostess greets the passengers as they enter to eat. After the first night we all noted how slow the waiter was. We assumed it was because of the large party and didn't think any more about it. Well, the MD gave us a new waiter (we didn't ask) and we found the services so much faster after that. Finally, on 3 of the nights he brought out food samples he prepared from his home country (Romania).

This would be an excellent example of a MD deserving of a tip! I know he did well with us!

I have tipped the M'd before for doing a few little extras. There are two I have been repeat and they are truly wonderful (and cute), so even if they don't do anything just remembering me is worth it!!!

Tip to leaving a tip for the room steward--I sometimes give it to them in person on the last night, but I also will be creative and use the previous night towel animal and leave the extra cash tip and somehow make it visible. I like to make it a suprise *BG*.....I am fairly generous cuz damn, they do work hard!!!!

Just got back from the Carnival Triumph and our Maitre 'd earned and received a tip from us. He accommodated us with a table for 2 upon request the first night and checked on us at our table twice and called us by name every night as we entered the dining room.

don't tip him...don't ask for anything....but if I did make a complaint..I still wouldn't tip him...think about it..tipping someone for correcting their own mistake...don't think so.

If I made a request..that was a reasonable and expected type of request...nothing extra special...still no tip

Now if we were irritating and obnoxious and made some outlandish request that very few make...I can't think of any right now...I guess we would have to tip him, right?

Remember the MD is an officer of the ship...just sayin'....and gets paid as such.

I tip them every cruise because I usually ask for something extra and they always provide. We almost always also receive lagniappe. The maitre d' is one of the people on the ship you want to know and remember you - assuming its for a good reason. We always say hello to them on the way into the dining room. It is absurd to avoid eye contact and try to sneak in.

For the cheap people who use perceived dress code violations as a reason to not tip the maitre d', I've never had one refuse a tip from me when I was wearing jeans - which is all I have ever worn on non-formal nights.

what the heck is ...lagniappe?:confused:

Normally, we don't tip the Maitre D', but on Glory we had a great Maitre D'. We were celebrating my dad's 96th birthday and the Maitre D' made an announcement to the dining room and was absolutely wonderful to us the whole cruise. We felt he deserved a good tip.

Other times, we have never seen him at our table and when we were on Dream and had my time dining or whatever it was called, we never saw him at all. I don't even know if there is one, but we didn't look for him to tip him or maybe it was a her, lol.

I hope I am still cruising at 96!!! God Bless him!!!

I have never cruised before (will be soon), but based upon what I have read on here, I plan to check out our dining room assignment when we first board and see where we are seated. I will tip the maitre 'd if I request a table change, but other then that, I see no need to tip them.

Exactly. After 9 cruises, for the first time we did tip as a request for a table for two was accommodated.

Yes, I know our room stewards already have the automatic tip but it would be nice to be provided with something to put a little extra in at the end of the cruise. Next one I'm bringing my own envelopes :-)

If you need extra envelopes, you can always get them at guest services. They put some out on the last night just in case.;)

Yes, we tip him.

But we tip him the first night, not the last. On our last cruise in May, we were able to change from a table of 10 at the late seating, to a table for 2 at the early seating.

We also got a table in the middle of the bank of windows....perfect for watching sunsets every evening.

We tip the maitre d' on every cruise because they make special arrangements for our son before we come onboard.

Funny you mentioned this because I was going to say that I tipped the maitre 'd on my last cruise for the exact same reason.

He went above and beyond to make sure my daughter got whatever she wanted, when she wanted it - including from room service. We just had to mention his name and we could order anything, not just from the room service menu. He would call our stateroom daily to see if there was anything we needed.

Fantastic service and worthy of a tip, just for him.

When I cruised for the 1st time with my daughter a few months ago the maitre'd went out of her way to make sure everything was handled as needed. They really did an outstanding job.

We always tip the maitre'd. I am curious why people think they do nothing. Would Carnival really have them taking up space and resources on a ship if they did nothing? I see it as they are responsible in a general sense for the quality of service I get in the dining room. And since I always tip my servers, I always tip the maitre'd.

Archived