Who tips the maitre 'd ??

sweetlouise

The only time we tipped was when we were on Disney. They didn't add the gratuities to the bill the way Carnival and NCL do. They gave us envelopes with guidelines on how much we should tip each staff person, so we did. Since then I've never done so, none have ever introduced themselves or done anything that warranted a tip

We always tip the maitre'd. I am curious why people think they do nothing. [...] And since I always tip my servers, I always tip the maitre'd.

As some have already said, it's not that they do "nothing," it's that often they do nothing beyond that job for which they are already paid. (And, if I understand correctly, paid better/differently than the servers.)

Like I said before, it's a very weird system Carnival has, letting you pre-pay gratuities but then springing an extra, surprise tip for the maitre d', right down the the customized envelopes with your stateroom number written on one side. If the maitre d' does something special for me, I could use the same envelope I might use to give someone else a little extra. Mixed messages, definitely. (And I still want to know what's up with tracking the tip by writing your stateroom on the side - lol.)

On most nights the Maitre'd came over to our table and made sure everything was ok. I got suckered in and gave him an extra $20. For the record the wife didn't want to but being the softy that I am.....

On one cruise we had a special needs person at our table, it blew me away to see the Maitre'd work so hard to insure this person had everything each evening. I have made few special request like a particular desert and actually ask for and got lobster the last night of our cruise once, just by asking the Maitre'd. If they do something for me, I will tip them, if I never see them and they don't do anything for me, I don't. One thing I learned is, if you want something special in the dining room, go down during the day and ask, most times they will come through for you.

what the heck is ...lagniappe?:confused:

"something given or obtained gratuitously or by way of good measure."

bonus stuff not asked for - maybe a free bottle of {cheap} champagne, or sometimes a special dinner the chef prepared for some real VIPs, but there was plenty to serve our table too. Actually we got to eat it on two nights cause I guess bought lots to make sure there was enough.

The second night the maitre d' just left a whole platter on our table.

P1080496.JPG

another time, I asked the assistant maitre d' for a "surprise" b-day cake for the maitre d'. It was a real surprise because it wasn't his b-day and we knew it. :p

I was expecting a little something to be brought out, but...

IMG_1129.JPG

and he sat down and joined us for a bit...

IMG_1140.JPG

The cake lasted for a couple of days even after we shared with anyone who wanted some. I finally just gave it to the waitstaff to finish.

Most of the maitre d's are hard working, good people - there are a few exceptions. If you treat them like people, you might be surprised. You can start by introducing yourself to them and saying hello every night as you enter the dining room and good night when you leave after dinner.

But no, there is no real need to tip them unless they do something special for you, above what they do for everyone else. We always tip.

Never tip them, probably never will. If Carnival wants me to, have them put it as part of the prepaid tips. In 5 cruises, never had one that did anything for me or my group, or that I could even pick out.

On most of our first cruises we tipped the MD, but on the last few, I bet we didn't see the man after the first night. This annoys me. If we only get a one-time visit from our MD, we don't tip. To me it's just like asking for money, and for doing absolutely nothing! I would much rather tip our servers more as they are the ones who really do the work and treat us like royalty!

what the heck is ...lagniappe?:confused:

Lagniappe is a little something extra and unexpected, usually delightfully so. Its origins are Cajun, and of course, Cajun's origins are Acadian for the French who, long ago, were expelled from Acadia when France lost the hundred years war. Most of them ended up in Lousiana.

Paul

OK....well by showering, getting plenty of water, at the right temp, consistantly, the water flow engineer has done his job. Do I tip him too? Come on.

I was merely answering the question the poster asked as to what did the MD do that would warrant a tip. Tips are geared towards postions classified in the "service" industry. The MD is such a classification and is entitled to consideration of a tip. They are not there to take up space. They do serve a purpose. Whether you tip or not is up to you, but at least be informed enough to make a decision.

Do you tip the engineer, the captain, the security folks? Do you tip the janitor who cleans the floors at night at your local restaruant, the cooks, etc? No, because those are not service classification positions, they are considered hourly, contract, or salaried. Some service positions, such as the waiters and MD's, are considered contract plus tip.

People can find justification to tip the MD as much as those who find justification not too. I'm just surprised by some of the attitudes on this board regarding the MD.

Tips are geared towards postions classified in the "service" industry. The MD is such a classification and is entitled to consideration of a tip.

There's the disconnect right there. The MaitreD' is actually Management, which goes back to my previous statement. If you tip the DR Manager at Olive Garden, Applebee's or even Ruth Chris, then by all means, feel free to extend a gratuity to the MD aboard ship.

I never have tipped the maitre d. First off all I have never asked the maitre d for anything. I usually never even see the maitre d until the last night when he stand there waiting for tips. Also the maitre d is considered an officer. I'm sure he makes good money, especially compared to the wait staff. I'd rather any extra tipping money go to my waiters or cabin stewards

"something given or obtained gratuitously or by way of good measure."

bonus stuff not asked for - maybe a free bottle of {cheap} champagne, or sometimes a special dinner the chef prepared for some real VIPs, but there was plenty to serve our table too. Actually we got to eat it on two nights cause I guess bought lots to make sure there was enough.

The second night the maitre d' just left a whole platter on our table.

P1080496.JPG

another time, I asked the assistant maitre d' for a "surprise" b-day cake for the maitre d'. It was a real surprise because it wasn't his b-day and we knew it. :p

I was expecting a little something to be brought out, but...

IMG_1129.JPG

and he sat down and joined us for a bit...

IMG_1140.JPG

The cake lasted for a couple of days even after we shared with anyone who wanted some. I finally just gave it to the waitstaff to finish.

Most of the maitre d's are hard working, good people - there are a few exceptions. If you treat them like people, you might be surprised. You can start by introducing yourself to them and saying hello every night as you enter the dining room and good night when you leave after dinner.

But no, there is no real need to tip them unless they do something special for you, above what they do for everyone else. We always tip.

Nice post. Agree with it all. Most people never have that type of interaction, but it still hits home. We have had what I would call average ones and exceptional (because they love their jobs and it shows). While sometimes it did feel imposed to do something, there were others when we wanted to!

I'm not quite sure about tipping the maitre'd...sometimes there have been occasions when we have tipped them. The best maitre'd we ever had (and the very first that warranted a tip) was on Celebrity. It was a woman (first and only I have seen in all my cruises). Her name was Danuta. If I remember a crew member's name after all these years, you know she must have been good. She stopped at every table, every night during our 14 day cruise,and talked about the next day's port (or activities, if it was a sea day). She was pleasant, made sure our service was top notch and FULL of usefull information about the ports.

Unfortunately, she set the bar rather high. No one has come close to being as great as she was. We have tipped a maitre'd on NCL...When we cruised with a large group for 14 days and never waited more than 3 minutes for a table, well that certainly warranted a very nice tip. They do not travel around with their hand out on NCL, we actually seeked this woman out to find her at the end of the cruise...She was flabberghasted when we handed her the envelope. Because of the Freestyle thing on NCL, tipping of the Maitre'd isn't expected. Ironically, these maitre'd's probably work the hardest....

On CCL we have tipped one or possibly two....mostly I feel they walk around quickly and just introduce themselves in order to 'just make an appearance'...so I don't feel any desire to tip them. One or two seemed to make an extra effort...they were tipped. One was Ken Byrne (sp??) ....he serenaded his way to a tip :)

I am generous with tipping a service employee, especially if they make me feel like a princess when I'm cruising....but the maitre'd is NOT a service employee and is paid a salary..... If they aren't really special, I don't feel the need to tip them.

We have only on 2 of our cruises. they actually came around to the tables a couple of times during dinner and spoke with everyone there.
So what you're saying is that you paid them to talk to you? :confused:

The Matire D' is responsible for assigning all guests to a table, trying to match age, couples, singles, teens, etc with the same. They also are responsible for all the training and overseeing of all the waiters and dining room operations, as well as many other things. They also are supposed to take care of any issues that arise, changing dining times, tables, etc for those who request them. If you have dinner in the MDR, you receive good service, food is delivered on time, and you have no issues, then the Matire D has done their done.

Hope this helps. :)

Exactly, then the maitre D' has done his/her job, and gotten paid for it. Without some additional personal service, why should the maitre D' get a tip? As an earlier poster said, do we tip the CD, the Hotel Director, the Captain, etc?

Coming around to my table and saying hello or asking if everything is OK without actually providing some additional service does not entitle the Maitre D' to a tip.

Exactly, then the maitre D' has done his/her job, and gotten paid for it. Without some additional personal service, why should the maitre D' get a tip? As an earlier poster said, do we tip the CD, the Hotel Director, the Captain, etc?

Coming around to my table and saying hello or asking if everything is OK without actually providing some additional service does not entitle the Maitre D' to a tip.

I think you have hit the spot on what most people have commented on. Guess that begs the question, what would you consider meaningful enough to give them a tip?

On most of our first cruises we tipped the MD, but on the last few, I bet we didn't see the man after the first night. This annoys me. If we only get a one-time visit from our MD, we don't tip. To me it's just like asking for money, and for doing absolutely nothing! I would much rather tip our servers more as they are the ones who really do the work and treat us like royalty!

That's odd to me. Our MD was at the door every night greeting people as they entered the MDR. His 2 assistants were also with him.

(I'm not saying that warrants a tip, I'm just noting my observation that the MD was not invisible throughout the week).

I haven't tipped a Maitre'D yet. It isn't that I am not grateful for the "behind the scenes" work that they do. Most of the time I never see the Maitre'D and they never come to our table.

If the Maitre'D does something out of the ordinary, or comes to our table, or something like that, then I would consider tipping. Otherwise, I am fine giving an extra tip to our servers, who we see every night and often anticipate our needs, like having our drinks on the table before we arrive.

If the Maitre D actually made the rounds every night, at least made it to my table some nights to conversate, ask how we are enjoying ourselves and/or handled some special request I would tip him/her. As was pointed out by some other posters there have been times I never ever saw the Maitre D and the envelope was simply put in my room.....

There's the disconnect right there. The MaitreD' is actually Management, which goes back to my previous statement. If you tip the DR Manager at Olive Garden, Applebee's or even Ruth Chris, then by all means, feel free to extend a gratuity to the MD aboard ship.

According to my conversations with several staff members on my cruises, he is considered a "working supervisor", but is still listed in the customer services breakdown of personnel. I don't say that to dispute what you say because I do agree that he/she has management responsibilities, I'm just saying it's the way he/she is classified, thus the opportunity for tipping.

To me the disconnect is why the MD tips are separate from everyone elses. Why don't they just add that in to the daily allotment of tips and charge it to your S&S account? :confused: I don't see any reason to separate them. If you don't feel that the MD deserves a tip, then have it removed from your account like you can any of the others. Just my thoughts :).

There was one cruise when someone in our party mentioned to the maitre'd (who stopped by every night) how much they loved the lamb chops. The next night, the maitre'd stopped by our table and informed her she'd be getting another order of lamb chops tonight. Boy was she happy to hear that! Needless to say, the maitre'd that cruise got a tip from us.

I've found maitre'd's like that do be the exception though. Most that I've seen (or didn't see!) introduced themselves night 1, had their hands out the last night, and we never saw them in between. They don't get tipped. If they do something above and beyond their normal duties -- like in the story above -- we'll most definitely give them a tip!

Archived