OK, last minute questions about sailing Glory out of NYC

OK, last minute questions before we sail the Glory out of NYC on August 9:

1) We are taking car service from our home in NJ to the cruise ship terminal. Is there only one terminal? I can't find ANYTHING about what pier to go to. Can anyone tell us where to have the driver drop us off?

2) How much would a soda card be for a 5-night cruise?

3) Is there a place where the limo can pick us up on the return?

4) I'm sure they won't let us use our own coffeemaker; is it possible to get room service coffee delivered REALLY early? And is coffee available any time (other than the paid coffee drinks)?

There may be more to come. :confused:

Coffee is available 24/7 though Iv found it luke warm at times around 3 am up on the Lido buffet.

soda cards are $6 a day plus tips pp so X 5 for adults. If you buy it before you leave port Iv heard they also will charge tax. children are $4.50 pp per day. You can wait a day and get it the first day at sea and prorate the amount on the soda card, so you have 4 full days of it.

1) We are taking car service from our home in NJ to the cruise ship terminal. Is there only one terminal? I can't find ANYTHING about what pier to go to. Can anyone tell us where to have the driver drop us off?

4) I'm sure they won't let us use our own coffeemaker; is it possible to get room service coffee delivered REALLY early? And is coffee available any time (other than the paid coffee drinks)?

1) I sailed on the Miracle in May, we both embarked and disembarked at Pier 90, on my sailing on the Glory a week ago we embarked at Pier 90, disembarked at Pier 88 as the Miracle was docking at Pier 90. I believe Pier 90 is where you will be going unless there are more than one Carnival ships in port, then it may be Pier 88

2) Soda card was $29 and change for a 4 day cruise while purchased still in NY, so probably around $35ish.

3) Yes

Hi. Just got back from the Glory cruise out of New York and had a great time...hope you do too!

1. Don't worry...there's only one series of Piers in NY...tell your driver the cruise piers in NY and your driver should definitely know where the Piers are (I recall they're in the 50s by the river...but not sure since we relied on our driver!) You'll know exactly what pier because the ship will be shiny and gleaming in its berth...your car pulls up and a baggage handler will cart all your bags away.

2. We bought soda cards just for 3 kids...with tax and gratuity it was around $80 for all three. Well worth the money.

3. Tell your driver to pick you up around 10:30 upon return. Usually, the car service is parked elsewhere and will drive to the pier. We called him when we had picked up our luggage and had just a 5 minute wait on the sidewalk. Your baggage handler will haul your luggage to the street and you just wait until your car comes up. You quickly load up (same place as you were dropped off) and are on your way. Very easy if you have a good car service.

4. You can get room service any time but coffee and drinks are available 24 hrs. per day up on the Lido Deck 9. You may not want to have coffee in your room but find one of the many quiet places to enjoy your coffee watching the ocean go by!

Ask anything else and I'll be happy to try to answer.

1-The Glory was docked at Pier 90. As your driver is driving down the road, look for the Glory sign. He can drop you there and they will take your luggage.

2- It was $55 for our two children. This included tax and gratuity.

3- There is an area where cars can pick you up. They will direct you. We actually crossed the street (to get away from the crowds) and was picked up on the corner of 12th and 50th.

1- The Glory is docked at Pier 90. As your driver is driving down the street, look for the Glory sign. You can get our there and the porters will take your luggage for you.

2-We paid $55 for the soda card for our 2 teens. This included tax and gratutity.

3-There is an area where cars, buses and taxis can pick you up. They will direct you. We actually went down the elevater to street level and crossed the street (to get away from the crowds) and had our driver pick us up on the corner of 12th and 50th. Several other groups did this as well.

4- You can have coffee delivered to your room any time you want. Just put the room service card on your door with what you would like to order with the time you want it delivered or you can call room service. There are also several drink stations with coffee, hot chocolate, lemonade, unsweetened ice tea and water on the lido deck. (deck 9) for free and it is open 24 hours.

We just got back from the Carnival Glory the exact cruise that you are taking on 7/12/10. It is a great cruise, but not long enough. Next time 7 days minimum.

It leaves from the Manhatten cruise docks, pier 90 and returns to the same pier. We took a town car (arranged through the hotel, they were great) from Soho from the Four Points Sheraton, which was only about 15 minutes. We left the hotel at 10:15 am and there was already about two hundred people ahead of us. Get there early and they will let you board early. They tell you noon but go early there are alot of people.

Like I said we got to the pier at 10:30 am and were checked in at 10:35 am., like only 5 minutes, walked right up to the attendant and got our sign and sail cards and then were in the third group to board. They were very organized. Then they started calling sections about 20 minutes later, we were on board and eating our lunch by around 11:40am.

When we got off 5 days later we did the early self-assist and were the first group called to get off. It wasn't that bad and when we docked early that morning I had called the same town car service and they were waiting for us when we got off the ship. There was a little confusion as to where to pick us up but they found us very soon. We had to walk across the street with our luggage and it is near where all the taxi's line up and we were at LaGuardia in about 20 minutes. Got to the airport and then of course had to wait for our flight. Time went fast and were home in Florida by 3:00pm.

We got room service every morning as we like to have our coffee out on the balcony. The first morning it came on time, the second day it was 15 minutes late, the third day it did not come at all and the fourth day it came on time. The coffee was actually pretty good, better than Princess coffee.

We did not buy soda cards, someone else can spout in about that.

Hope you have good weather but be prepared for alot of fog and if you have a forward cabin and there is fog then bring your earplugs because by Maritime law they have to sound the horn every few minutes if there is fog. We did not hear it at all at night but heard several people complain about it. Happy sailing. Make sure you go to Peggy's Cove it was fantastic and also the Titanic graveyard. We did a private tour I only wish we could have spent more time there. It is very crowded there.

In St. Martin we went to St. John's and saw the reversing tides and the market store in the town. Cut little town. We had rain but still enjoyed ourselfes.

I'll just comment you will get different opinions on the coffee..but those "in the middle on drinking need of fancy coffee" ie not pure fancy coffee exclusively types find the room service coffee better than lido..I'm in that group..it's good/fresh/black/strong enough coffee.

Thanks for all the great info. We were planning to get to the terminal around 11:30, mostly because of rush hour issues. My DH is so happy to not have to leave the house at 5 AM it's going to be hard to get him out earlier.

However, now we are thinking (and this is something only you fellow Joiseyites may be able to answer or comment on) of having our car service take us to the NY Waterway ferry in Weehawken and taking the ferry across, then either walking (We have FANTASTIC Samsonite Glide 4-wheeled luggage) or taking a taxi up to the cruise ship terminal. Same deal coming back. Anyone ever done this? I'm just thinking it's less hassle for the driver, and less traffic getting home. Anyone know if they have 24-hour or weekly parking on the Weehawken side and if it is safe?

Since you are paying the car service I would not worry about the hassle part because I am sure you are paying good money for it. Just my opinion but I would get there as early as possible. My sister did this cruise last year and if you don't get there early she said it was a nightmare.

Sounds like a hassle with the ferry.:D

Hi. Just got back from the Glory cruise out of New York and had a great time...hope you do too!

1. Don't worry...there's only one series of Piers in NY...tell your driver the cruise piers in NY and your driver should definitely know where the Piers are (I recall they're in the 50s by the river...but not sure since we relied on our driver!) You'll know exactly what pier because the ship will be shiny and gleaming in its berth...your car pulls up and a baggage handler will cart all your bags away.

2. We bought soda cards just for 3 kids...with tax and gratuity it was around $80 for all three. Well worth the money.

3. Tell your driver to pick you up around 10:30 upon return. Usually, the car service is parked elsewhere and will drive to the pier. We called him when we had picked up our luggage and had just a 5 minute wait on the sidewalk. Your baggage handler will haul your luggage to the street and you just wait until your car comes up. You quickly load up (same place as you were dropped off) and are on your way. Very easy if you have a good car service.

4. You can get room service any time but coffee and drinks are available 24 hrs. per day up on the Lido Deck 9. You may not want to have coffee in your room but find one of the many quiet places to enjoy your coffee watching the ocean go by!

Ask anything else and I'll be happy to try to answer.

Just to ensure future readers of this thread are not misinformed, your statement that there is only one set of piers in New York is not true. There is only one cruise ship terminal in Manhattan, piers 88, 90 and 92 on 12 Ave, running from 48th to 52nd St. (motor vehicle entrance at 54th St.) but there is also another cruise ship terminal in Brooklyn, and Brooklyn is very much part of New York City (although many residents of Brooklyn would likely prefer that was not the case ;)).

Explore the NY Waterways site. http://www.nywaterway.com/Commuters.aspx You can park at Port Imperial for $10/day. The consensus seems to be to confirm this with them and to let the parking lot attendent know you are leaving the car. Weekdays there appears to be a free bus service that goes up 12th to the port area.

If you're serious about driving to the ferry, post back to get other's comments.

We usually park at the ferry, then walk up to the boat. Like it was mentioned, let them know how long you'll be there and they'll direct you to the proper parking:) lot.

It's an easy walk from the ferry dock to the boat. We've done it in Sept, Oct and now will tryout August!

Archived