Oasis - calling all NOOTS - never say never!

Was looking at 7-night caribbean cruises out of Florida for grandson's spring break (3/12-20/2011). We are used to cruising during peak times and prices, of course, were up there with Freedom the lowest, followed by Allure and then Oasis.

Grandson's school lets out a little earlier in 2011 (5/25), so then I checked for end of May cruises. Comparing the cost for the 3 of us in a D1 oceanview balcony on each (as well as in a D4 vs an E1), Oasis 5/28 was actually $102 cheaper than Freedom 5/29! Both are western itineraries with Freedom charging $100 more for the 3rd person. Allure 5/29, with it's eastern itinerary, charged $230 more for the 3rd and came in at over $1.5K more total!

I know the Oasis cruise had just had at least a $1k price drop but still - we are talking about Oasis being cheaper than Freedom! :eek:

And if I divide total by length of cruise, a D4 on this Oasis 7-night cruise is less than $10 more per day for all 3 of us than our E1 on our 2008 6-night cruise on the Independence.

While I am very hesitant to book far out because of RCCL's new price drop policy (ARGH!!! How low will prices go AFTER final???!!), I am somewhat restricted by needing a triple at peak times and this seemed like a good price. So, even though we initially thought we would never book Oasis class (and actually prefer the voyager class over the freedom class), here we go. And I must say I am more than a little bit excited. :D (Now if only I could only afford a true corner aft ... but Aqua suites are a little out of our league, unless grandson doesn't really need a college fund. :p;))

Have (or would) any other NOOTS been swayed by price or the mostly positive reviews of Oasis?

~ Judy

I would say book it and book it now if you like the price today. You are talking about the Oasis and it being cheaper than the Freedom for the same week. That may not last long. There is no guarentee that the price will drop after final payment or if they do drop, that they will drop to a lower price than they are now.

Yes, since it was cheaper than the Freedom (and any of the spring break ones), we were happy with the price so we did book it! :D

What I wonder is how many naysayers would be willing to try the Oasis if it was cheaper than a similar cruise they were looking at?

~ Judy

Nope, not a pricing error! It's been that price for a week.

Demand for Freedom higher? Possibly - especially since everyone would assume (and usually rightfully so) Oasis would cost more.

I imagine RCCL is trying to even out bookings by cutting price on Oasis - maybe hoping to get some Freedom cruisers to switch over, and then they will raise the price for this Oasis cruise, or Freedom will come down, in the very near future.

~ Judy

What I wonder is how many naysayers would be willing to try the Oasis if it was cheaper than a similar cruise they were looking at?

Great question Judy. The NOOTS I know vehemently insist that they'd never want to be on a ship with 8000 people. I wonder how much of a price drop will it require to get them over that dislike.

I'm a member of the NOOTS, and we have heard nothing but good remarks regarding the Oasis. So, we are giving it some serious thought. We may wait till the Allure comes out, just to see if there will be some pricing adjustment.

It's so interesting, because of the people that we know that had sailed aboard her, have had no real negatives, and they say that it's easy to board, and disembark, and the only real negative that I have heard, it's almost impossible to take the entire ship in, and enjoy it, in one week.

That is pretty impressive to me!!:)

Rick

windjamming - while I was not an official card-carrying NOOTS member, I thought the same. Until...

rubrrick - yes, it is the mostly positive reviews that swayed our thinking also. Especially how so many stated that because of all the venues the ship never really felt that crowded.

So when I saw we could sail on Oasis for less than the Freedom, same week and basically same itinerary (less Grand Cayman), I jumped on it!

~ Judy

Judy you will enjoy the Oasis so much. We sailed on her in April. We had a hump cabin on deck 6. Great location. Even that we were on her for a week we did not see the whole ship so we booked the Allure for March. The shows were fantastic. Hope you have as great a time as we did.

John :):D:):D

Another NOOTS here. We have kicked the idea of the Oasis around (primarily DH wanting to try it.) If the price is right (which is was last week for the week of September 18) we would have tried it. Couldn't because we are already committed to an Azamara and Celebrity cruise this year in addition to the Celebrity and HAL we've already done.

However, IF the Oasis or Allure were to have a price that we could live with I guess we would like it a try.

Judy I had the same issue as you. My wife and I will be taking our entire family next Dec. We have five grandkids, we looked at Freedom, Oasis, and Allure; Since we live out of state we will be flying to Florida; Freedom was way cheaper than the larger two ships. Airfare into Orlando, is also cheaper than FLL. I did check a week later for both ships; but always got the same price; Freedom was cheaper. We are going 4 Dec. if we waited until 15 Dec or later than you get into holiday period and the price doubles.

DesertCard - thanks for the good wishes. We chose deck 8 for Central Park and figuring it would be convenient for picking up a bite at Park Cafe. Do you happen to know what time Park Cafe closes?

Lynnees - funny, it was my DH also who first wanted to try Oasis and this from a guy who liked nothing better than to sit on our aft balcony and watch the wake. But he does enjoy strolling the Royal Promenade and, in a sense, with the addition of Boardwalk and Central Park, the Oasis has 3 of those. With Allure coming out, I think we might see RCCL offer more "price is right" cruises on these ships in the hopes of converting NOOTS to NSNOOTS (Never Say Never Oasis Of The Seas). Of course, once they get us hooked ...

AF-1 - Yes. Freedom class cruises should cost less than Oasis class. Yet for my 5/28/11 cruise, Oasis was less. The price for 3rd (and 4th) was $100 less. Like I said, I imagine RCCL is trying to even out bookings and then they will raise the price for our Oasis cruise or Freedom will come down (or both). While unlikely, this shows it is possible that they might drop the 12/3/11 Oasis to less than the 12/4/11 Freedom, but if you've booked your air, I wouldn't look back. Have a great cruise because to be able to cruise with five grandkids is priceless!

~ Judy

I'm actually now curious about the reasons why NOOTS. The NOOTS that I know say the Oasis is too large and difficult to get around. They also feel there's less of an intimate feel when there's 8000 onboard.

What are some other reasons? No judgment - I'm honestly curious.

unless grandson doesn't really need a college fund. :p;))

Would you like a granddaughter too? I'd be more than willing to show you around the Oasis... and i've already gone to college so you don't have to worry about that lol :D

The most logical reason I can think of for not wanting to go on the Oasis... once you go on it... nothing compares... I can honestly say that after doing my 1st cruise on the Oasis, 2nd on the little teeny tiny Grandeur - the rest of my cruises will be most likely Freedom/Oasis class

Judy - I think the same will apply to Robbie... you're going to entertain him so much that week on the Oasis and the next cruise all you'll hear is "i'm boreeeeed" You may be setting yourself up for a lifetime of Oasis/Freedom cruising!! :) lol

The cheap May Oasis/Allure prices have been around for 2-3 wks now, I had been watching the May prices for a long time for Freedom/Oasis....and when I saw the Oasis prices go down I BOOKED asap.

The Oasis D7 room is pricing out almost exactly the same as Freedom D1. both D class balconies...just different locals.

I am guessing they are trying to fill a few cruises...then those great prices will go POOF;)

I'm actually now curious about the reasons why NOOTS. The NOOTS that I know say the Oasis is too large and difficult to get around. They also feel there's less of an intimate feel when there's 8000 onboard.

That ship is way too big. (my reason - since you asked). I've been on the Independence, Mariner and Aventure. While I thought they were OK, I did determine that I much prefer the Radiance/Solstice classes of ships.

I don't feel that bigger is better by any means. I may be willing to try the Oasis once but I'm not really keen on it.

There is another reason as well - the number of children onboard is just too much for me. I'm not objecting to kids - that's what RCL wants, but these days there are too many kids who just don't know how to behave and I'm far past having the patience to deal with them, especially in high numbers,

Always good to hear from a NOOTS. :) I can't say that DH and I have changed our minds about sailing with quite so many of our "closest" 6000 or so friends. :D But I certainly can see why many people might enjoy cruising Oasis. Go and enjoy I would say.....

Well, so far I'm humouring him, but it's still highly unlikely :):D

Beth C: A granddaughter with a college degree, tempting, but afraid we have to pass (what if you decided to go for a doctorate?!). :D A "lifetime of Oasis/Freedom cruising" - yikes, I didn't think of that! :eek:

minnie00: I want to thank you for your great thread asking "For those who have sailed Oasis..would you do it again?". It helped in my decision making. Don't forget to check out the roll call for this cruise.

Lynnees: I would LOVE to try a Radiance class! Almost booked it for our Thanksgiving cruise. If it was just DH and I, I think that would be our favorite class of ship to cruise on since we are laid back and just love to look at the ocean. I am hoping that the reviews that say Oasis didn't feel that big and that it had many intimate venues are true. I know I will miss two of my favorite quiet spots - the helipad, especially at sunset, and watching & hearing the waves break against the ship from the Promenade deck. I wouldn't sail the Oasis if we didn't have an oceanview balcony. Once we are empty nesters again, you can bet we will be looking at cruises with far less children on board. Nothing against the little darlings, but, at our ages, we won't need any of the family friendly features or to be on a cruise where over one-third of the passengers are under 18. Rumor has it that RCCL's next class of ships might be a cross between Radiance/Freedom class. Hopefully they can take the best of both.

~ Judy

Archived