Navigator 18August sailing. Overbooked

ChandyMan

Hi all-

I continue a new thread from our discussion regarding a gauranteed cabin (GTY). Here is what TA received from Regent. Have you experienced this? Are there usually takers on overbooking offers on Regent?

While we have a sophisticated inventory management system, it is not an exact science and there

are times when we look to our guests to assist us. We are currently in an oversold position on our

August 18th 7-night sailing of the Seven Seas Navigator. We would like to present your clients

with a completely VOLUNTARY OPPORTUNITY to either move to an alternative sailing

date or cancel their existing booking with a choice of a cash back bonus or a future cruise

credit. This offer is intended for those guests with flexibility in their travel plans. The number

of volunteers will be limited so this offer is on a first-come, first-served basis!

Should your clients agree to cancel, they will receive a full refund plus their choice of either an

additional CASH BACK OFFER of $2,238.00 per suite or a FUTURE CRUISE CREDIT

(FCC) of $3,357.00 per suite. If selected, the FCC will be valid for any available Regent cruise

within two years from the date of issuance.

-ORIf

your clients agree to change to one of the extraordinary alternative voyages listed below, we

will offer the accommodations indicated for the rate already paid, subject to remaining

availability (including free shore excursions),

ALASKA

· September 8th Seven Seas Navigator 7-night, Northbound Vancouver to Seward in a

Master Suite (limited quantities, based on availability)

NORTHWEAT PASSAGE: 18-NIGHTS

· September 15th Seven Seas Navigator Seward to Beijing in a Master Suite

BLACK SEA: 10-NIGHT CRUISE

· August 26th Seven Seas Mariner Athens to Istanbul in a Penthouse Suite

AEGEAN WONDERS AND ISREAL: 10-NIGHT CRUISE

· September 5th Seven Seas Mariner Istanbul to Athens in a Penthouse Suite

AEGEAN AND ADRIATIC EXPERIENCE: 7-NIGHT CRUISE

· September 15th Seven Seas Mariner Athens to Istanbul in a Mariner Suite

CLASSIC MEDITERRANEAN: 10-NIGHT CRUISE

· September

Leaving Dallas TX on MOnday for Anchorage for a couple days and then down to Seward Wednesday. I hope they have some takers and we have a cabin

I received a similar letter for my clients sailing in July. They were not flexible in their plans, and thus did not take advantage of the offers. I assured them that they would not have any problems, their cabins were theirs and they did not have any issues. Don't know how many passengers were able to take advantage, and the offers were very nice I thought. I have heard of people who have done "move overs" not just on Regent but other lines as well and were quite happy with the deal.

I'm sure that if you cannot be flexible and thus need to sail on the date you booked you will not have any issues, but if you are flexible and this sounds like a good deal to you go for it. There are several options to choose from which makes it very nice as well.

So basically, yes this is not uncommon, on all cruise lines, not just Regent.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

I am curious as to when the message regarding the overbooked August 18 sailing was received from Regent. If it was sent within the past couple of days (less than a week before the sailing) I would think some people at Regent are sweating a bit. The sweeteners are of course attractive, but they would probably be much more attractive to people a few weeks ago than on the very eve of the cruise.

We received this from TA last night, A very good TA, but were they sitting on it for a couple days? Possibly. I had inquired with TA about suite assignments last Thursday so I know it was not prior to that.

This raises the question in my mind, "Why so late?"

Regent had final payments months ago, with stiff cancellation penalties.

I would have thought that they would have known a good while ago that they were seriously overbooked. Do that many people really cancel after final payment and within weeks of departure? Perhaps.

They just up the ante. If you were in a G or H category going to Alaskan a 7 day itinerary for $3500 and you could do 18 days on another itinerary on a better ship because you were flexible, I think it would be a great opportunity and I would jump at the chance to do that.

Some very attractive offers there, but again, why so late? The final payment time is long past. Were they just waiting, hoping for cancellations after the final payment? Very hard for most people, even those retired, to change plans a week prior to the cruise considering airline reservations, hotels, etc. I would think a lot of people would already be in Alaska for pre-cruise.

As I recall, this happened on several sailings last summer. Some notices went out as close as 2 days prior to sailing. As has been mentioned, they will keep raising the ante until they find people that are able to change their plans. It seems there are always people willing to make changes for the right price.

If a sailing is overbooked and it's Alaska - a very easy trip to take, offered all summer, that is fairily easy to do another vacation during the time period we've scheduled. We figured that if we were bumped, we'd be happy to take off work and do a car trip in it's place for the right offer. We'd still vacation.

If it were a longer trip offered annually and we'd paid for our own airfare, we might not have the same luxury to reschedule for a much longer period of time. But, we'd consider it if the offer were right.

As I recall, this happened on several sailings last summer. Some notices went out as close as 2 days prior to sailing. As has been mentioned, they will keep raising the ante until they find people that are able to change their plans. It seems there are always people willing to make changes for the right price.

I would hope that the 'right price' would be enough to cover the costs of airline cancellation fees, hotel bookings, private excursion bookings, etc. that would have already been paid for. Does Regent eat the cost of cancelled air bookings if you have your air booked (with deviations, BC upgrades, etc) through Regent? If they covered all of those costs, the sweeteners might be hard to pass up. 10 to 18 days in a Master suite, from an original 7-day itinerary got my attention!

I would hope that the 'right price' would be enough to cover the costs of airline cancellation fees, hotel bookings, private excursion bookings, etc. that would have already been paid for. Does Regent eat the cost of cancelled air bookings if you have your air booked (with deviations, BC upgrades, etc) through Regent? If they covered all of those costs, the sweeteners might be hard to pass up. 10 to 18 days in a Master suite, from an original 7-day itinerary got my attention!

That is what the "right price" would be. . . . . the longer cruise plus fees that have already been paid. Actually, we wanted to go on the cruise to Beijing. . . but, not on the Navigator and especially not on a high deck. If we were ever offered similar deals, we probably would take it since it is fairly easy to change our itinerary (everything really depends upon our kitties in terms of travel:-)

I found out right here on the Cruise Critic board that our Alaska cruise was overbooked last year. I called our TA and said we could change to the next week if they wanted to offer a bribe. :) It paid off beautifully - we sailed the following week on the Mariner in a huge aft cabin with butler service. The view off the rear of the ship in Alaska was fabulous!

Our TA agrees with TC2. Everyone has their price and Regent is shoring up their final cabin count and will ante up if neccessary.

I will let you know if I hear anything. Leaving Dallas, TX for Anchorage on Monday. We spend 2 days at the Sheraton, andI can not wait to review this hotel. (Lot's of comments on Trip Advisor.) On Wednesday, we will board the AKRR Coastal Classic in GoldStar service to Seward. I plan to review all. 5 days away :)

This offer was made to us last August when we went on our Alaska cruise. Our friends were supposed to go with us on the cruise but instead took the Baltic cruise. Regent even came them business class air! They loved it. We stayed with the Alaska cruise. It was wonderful too!

That's an interesting viewpoint - I'm not sure I would have been willing to break up a foursome who had planned to cruise together, but it's an interesting idea, and why not, if you're all in agreement? There's always next time. But if we're travelling alone and the opportunity presents itself, it might be worth considering. All those new "friends" found on the original roll call can hopefully be continued to another cruise.

CABIN ASSIGNMENT IN! - We booked E GTY. Received Suite- D837- a cat. upgrade :) I notice it may just over a small lifeboat. Would this be a concern? I am NOT complaining, just curious if you have had a suite over the lifeboats. I love the mid-ship location!!!

I can stop holding my breath, I was turning blue. lol

Haven't been on Navigator yet, but on Voyager, being near the lifeboats is not a problem. They don't stick out to obstruct the view. We have heard them being raised and lowered a few times when they are being used as tenders. But in Alaska, I don't think you will have many (?any) tender ports.

Haven't been on Navigator yet, but on Voyager, being near the lifeboats is not a problem. They don't stick out to obstruct the view. We have heard them being raised and lowered a few times when they are being used as tenders. But in Alaska, I don't think you will have many (?any) tender ports.

We had one tender port - Sitka.

CABIN ASSIGNMENT IN! - We booked E GTY. Received Suite- D837- a cat. upgrade :) I notice it may just over a small lifeboat. Would this be a concern? I am NOT complaining, just curious if you have had a suite over the lifeboats. I love the mid-ship location!!!

I can stop holding my breath, I was turning blue. lol

Congratulations! I know it was stressing you to no end, so glad to hear you've got your suite assignment.

I'm a nuts and bolts kind of guy and like to know how things work. I have some great pictures of tenders (lifeboats) being lowered and raised in one port or another. It's a fascinating process, and I like to be right above (or above and slightly behind) so I can lean over the rail and watch. If you have no such interest you can easily ignore them.

Archived