Continental first class question

Hdog76

I am getting married in hawaii next friday. I used miles for one ticket on continental and we paid for the other. I couldnt imagine spending 5000 for airfare in 1st class, and am unable to even pay for an upgrade for both of us due to my ticket having been bought with miles. I will be boarding with my wedding dress even though every agent has told me they WILL NOT put it in a closet.....I really have no choice. Is there anything we can do to up our odds of being upgraded? I plan to wake up at 5am 24hrs before the flight to check in and see what options there are, even if we pay for the more legroom seats......at least thats something! I did have an agent who was so nice change our seats into the "reserved for elite members" seats. I just miss those days people talk about where they upgrade honeymooners on occasion!

My Experience Only

I have NEVER been given the opportunity to purchase an upgrade to first class when checking in on line.

I HAVE been given the opportunity to purchase a first class upgrade about 10 - 20% of the time when checking in at the airport. I usually check in at the airport about 3 hrs early.

Only once has an airline announced at the gate that they were looking for people to purchase an upgrade to first class in my personal experience.

Disclaimer: This has only happened with American Airlines. It's only ever been offered to me on my return trip home. Probably only coincidence.

Having said all that, since you're flying to Hawaii,,,,,,, ain't happinin. HUGE vacation destination. EVERYONE has saved for years for that 1st class flight to Hawaii.

Odds are you are going to be told to check your wedding dress. Not trying to harsh your wedding buzz, but it's very likely that will happen. Make sure it's packed carefully. I wish you the best, and you never know...ask when you check in at the airport. Sometime good things happen to nice people.

Its so odd because I know numerous people who have flown various airlines and ALL were accomadated in terms of their dress being hung in one of the closets.......I can't check my dress for 14 hours.....so it will have to sit on my lap which will be a huge issue hahahahah

Closets on airplanes are very limited in number and in size. They are not full length as you have at home. Most certainly they are not gown length.

Be prepared to check that dress or you may find that you are begging for overhead bin space to try to lay it down flat (on top of people's bags!)

A very good bridal shop should be able to advise you on how to take care of your gown for air travel. Don't just hope someone will help you. Plan!

Remember you have to go through the TSA inspection with the gown as well. Can you see it folded up in one of those filthy bins?

First, congratulations!

Don't be too excited about the "elite seats" on CO. They are exactly the same as the rest of economy; just closer to the front. If you can pay to have exit row or bulkhead seats, advise you do this.

CO has many, many elites who are already waiting in line to upgrade. The odds on this routing that you will be able to upgrade for cash are pretty much close to zero.

That said, here's what I would do. Make sure your dress is an appropriate sized carryon. Bring some type of treat for the flight attendants; some sort of wedding themed bag with small wrapped treats (candy is always popular), for example. I'm sure you can come up with a cute idea. Give your gift to the FA at the door when boarding and tell them you are getting married and want to share this with them. Then ask them nicely if they would please help you hang up your dress. Remember, you can have it pressed when you arrive.

Best of luck.

There are containers specifically designed to pack wedding dresses in. Do a google search for these. Get one, use it, and check it. It's more likely than getting an upgrade or them allowing your wedding dress to be hung in a closet. Many airlines have reduced or eliminated closets onboard. With limited space, they are not very likely to allow someone not in first class to fill it up with something of theirs.

We are flying on a 767 which has 3 closets......1 in first and 2 in the mini cabin which I am seated in. I am going to take my chance, we are getting there VERY early..we have a 5am flight. I will ask the gate agent if I CANT use a closet, could I get on first to put in an overhead.....the plane as of now has numerous empty seats and the flight is this coming wednesday

I actually think you have a good shot of getting access to the closet, but you are taking a chance. Hawaii flights aren't business heavy, which typically is what takes up all the closet space (think of the business class flyers and their suits, etc.). That said, look at the time of year you're flying--if its colder in NJ and people have heavier coats, that will take up space too--if its warmer, there will be less usage. Most flight attendants will be helpful, but again, you are taking a risk.

As for upgrades, I have bad news--you are going to be out of luck. Firstly the award ticket will not be permitted to upgrade under any circumstances under their policies, with the exception of you cancelling the award and re-booking it at a first class redemption level.

For the paid ticket, you have a number of ways you can try to upgrade, but they are generally going to be limited if you're not elite.

1) You can do what's called a REV-UP. Its only "sometimes" available on Hawaii flights (CO does not do this for its other flights). There's a fee and if its available (its limited) you need to call 24 hours before the flight and ask for it. I don't remember the cost, but it was generally favorable--like $500 or so. Results are mixed.

2) You can use mileage + co-pay and upgrade the paid ticket. This is subject to capacity controls too and you're waitlisted generally behind elites who would get priority.

3) At check-in, CO sometimes offers "buy-ups." These are generally just paying the difference in your fare to the lowest first class fare though--in other words, if you paid $800 for your round trip and the lowest first class ticket is $5000, you might be offered to buy up for $2,100 (which sounds good when you compare it to the $5000, but when you realize its one way its really a wash). They only offer these if the difference is reasonable though--and I don't know what that exact number would be.

CO also audits its gate agents on handling upgrades. They promise these benefits to elites and therefore they have to follow their policies. Doing the "upgrade flirt" or trying to find away around their policies will likely not work.

Short story--if you want first class, unfortunately you have to pay for it in some way (sorry, I know that might sound rude) but you still might have a shot at the closet, but be prepared for them to say no.

could I get on first to put in an overhead.....the plane as of now has numerous empty seats and the flight is this coming wednesday

1. IF you are using the airline seat map to judge empty seats, VERY unreliable way to do so. A lot of those seats may be already sold to tour operators, cruise line air passengers, others who have merely NOT chosen a seat. The plane MAY be close to capacity.

2. Boarding first with the intention of taking an entire overhead bin can be a VERY bad idea. If you can't hang your dress (hope you can), you want your dress laying flat ON TOP of everyone's luggage. If bin space gets tight, passengers and FA start moving stuff around. Even if you have to lay your dress flat in a bin far away from your seat, that to me is a far superior solution than trying to commandeer a bin first.

3. I would really, really worry about a full length gown going through the security scanner. The bag could get caught in the conveyor belt which could start off your trip very badly. Those belts and tubs, as PennyAgain posted, are dirty and nasty. Even if you don't check your dress, I would certainly look into options wrp96 posted about getting some kind of box or container. Would be a darn sight easier than trying to move a dress on a hangar through check in, security, etc. Would be much more secure in the overhead bin. What happens if something in someone's luggage in the bin spills (like a bottle of makeup)? Could be a real mess. As someone already posted, most ships have better dry cleaning and pressing facilities than cleaners on land for very little money. I ALWAYS have all my dry cleaning done on the ship-costs about 1/2 to 2/3 of what it costs in Phoenix.

As to getting on first, the airlines have an order that they follow to board the plane. Usually, first class and frequent travelers board first and also passengers needing help to board. Then most board from the back of the plane. You can't just get to the front of the line to board first.

We are flying on a 767 which has 3 closets......1 in first and 2 in the mini cabin which I am seated in. I am going to take my chance, we are getting there VERY early..we have a 5am flight. I will ask the gate agent if I CANT use a closet, could I get on first to put in an overhead.....the plane as of now has numerous empty seats and the flight is this coming wednesday

As to getting on first, the airlines have an order that they follow to board the plane. Usually, first class and frequent travelers board first and also passengers needing help to board. Then most board from the back of the plane. You can't just get to the front of the line to board first.

Already posted, you can't tell how full a flight is by looking at the seat maps! CO is no different than any other carrier; they have a strict boarding procedure as paul929207 has stated. CO's elite flyers will certainly complain if you are allowed to board first. Do not think a gate agent will let you cut the line to hang up your dress in the limited closet space. The GA doesn't control closet space; that's up to the FAs.

I know when I am in line to board, I know the boarding order and I'm not happy if people try to board out-of-order. Your wedding is a big deal to you; it's not important to anyone else.

You've already received good suggestions. If you insist on carrying on your dress, make sure it's securely packed, and be prepared to have it pressed on your arrival. You are already stressing way too much about this. Perhaps you should have shipped the dress last week and saved yourself all this hassle.

I fly on 767's frequently. At best if you get to hang your dress, assuming it is a long gown, you can bet that the skirt will be every which way. The FA's bags are on the floor of the closets.

You are betting on the kindness of strangers and are not listening to the advice given to you here by some extremely experienced travelers. For example GreatAm has been about everywhere twice and often much more than that.

can you not fedex/ups the dress (packed appropriately) to a pick up point in hawaii, be it a hotel, or a store that handles fedex/ups (like mailbox etc or the ups store) or something? what's going to happen when you get the the plane and can't store it?

Good luck.

Beverly

can you not fedex/ups the dress (packed appropriately) to a pick up point in hawaii, be it a hotel, or a store that handles fedex/ups (like mailbox etc or the ups store) or something? what's going to happen when you get the the plane and can't store it?

Good luck.

Beverly

She can take a garment bag as her carry-on, but if she's talking about the type of dress bags you receive in a store, not a "real" garment bag, those are kind of flimsy. She'd have to cram it in the overhead bin if she couldn't find someplace to hang it. She would not be allowed to hold it in her lap.

This is not an end-of-the world problem. If she must bring the dress on the plane, get a real garment bag, and be prepared to fold it over and lay on top of the bin. Engage the FAs in her "problem" and be nice about it to try and get their help. I have seen FAs go out of their way to help someone, but you can't count on this. You may run into the FA who is in the middle of a bitter divorce and not too willing to engage in conversation about your wedding!

My dress is in a garment bag and protected inside the bag. I have a lot of thinking to do in a short period of time

As I posted previously, it would be pretty darn easy for the bag to get caught in the security scanner. The bag could get ripped, the dress could get ripped, there could be a hole in the bag. What happens if they make you take the dress OUT of the bag for secondary screening? Could have nasty smudge marks on your dress. IF the bag would happen to get ripped and something spills in someone's luggage (don't think makeup doesn't spill in luggage, those little bottles of booze and wine that break) your dress could be ruined or at least the bag is covered with "goo".

Either put the dress in a roller carryon (as 6rugrats suggested) where the entire bag can be screened at one time or find a box or something to put it in.

Not trying to rain on your parade-just trying to make sure your dress gets there in the best possible shape. Plan on pressing your dress upon arrival, even if you have to do it yourself at a hotel.

She can take a garment bag as her carry-on, but if she's talking about the type of dress bags you receive in a store, not a "real" garment bag, those are kind of flimsy. She'd have to cram it in the overhead bin if she couldn't find someplace to hang it. She would not be allowed to hold it in her lap.

This is not an end-of-the world problem. If she must bring the dress on the plane, get a real garment bag, and be prepared to fold it over and lay on top of the bin. Engage the FAs in her "problem" and be nice about it to try and get their help. I have seen FAs go out of their way to help someone, but you can't count on this. You may run into the FA who is in the middle of a bitter divorce and not too willing to engage in conversation about your wedding!

HAHAHAHAH good point! I cant go by my friends who had gr8 flight attendants who happily stored their dress in the closets. I should plan for the worst. I will fold and squish if need be...I called the Halekulani Hotel, and they said they could have the dress pressed/steamed when I get there. I will take my chance and carry on..if they wont hang, I will lay it in the overhead

HAHAHAHAH good point! I cant go by my friends who had gr8 flight attendants who happily stored their dress in the closets. I should plan for the worst. I will fold and squish if need be...I called the Halekulani Hotel, and they said they could have the dress pressed/steamed when I get there. I will take my chance and carry on..if they wont hang, I will lay it in the overhead

FAs are human, like the rest of us. They get treated so poorly by so many passengers, that they really respond to a kindness. I honestly think if you bring on a small gift (enough for everyone to share, such as wrapped chocolate), your odds go way up in having them willing to help you.

Anyway, have a great wedding, and I'm sure this will work out. Come back after your honeymoon and post what happened!

I just miss those days people talAk about where they upgrade honeymooners on occasion!

Keep in mind that Hawaii is a popular honeymoon destination, and there may be multiple honeymooning couples on your flight, so don't get too excited about getting upgraded because of your "special" status; you might have to take a number, so to speak.

Please think long and hard about your plan to board early and put your dress in an overhead bin. It sounds like you are planning to take up the whole overhead bin, and I can assure you that will not go over well with the other passengers who are looking for space for their bags. One or more of the is likely to just shove their bag into or on top of your dress. And with the size of rollerboards, the overheads get pretty full, so there's limited chance of having room to lay it flat on top of the other rollerboards.

Having said all that, I will offer two suggestions.

1. Talk to the airline about gate-checking your dress. It's more "secure," so to speak, than checking it like a regular checked bag, because there's less risk of it being lost or misdirected. You could pack it in a wedding dress storage box, and perhaps the airline can label it as fragile.

2. Even if you are able to do #1, and especially if you aren't, definitely plan on having your dress steamed/pressed upon arrival. I know you said the hotel said they can arrange this, but talk to them again and confirm details.....how much time to you have between check in and the actual ceremony? Hours? Days? Maybe the hotel can arrange it but it will be 24 or 48 hours and you are thinking it will be back in 4 hours. Get clarification! And are you talking weekdays? weekends? What is the charge? (Usually much more for a wedding dress than a regular dress). Are your sure their regular drycleaner handles wedding dresses? Not all of them do. Try to find out what drycleaner the hotel uses and contact them yourself to be sure. "Hi, I'll be staying at Hotel X, checking in on such and such date, and the hotel will be getting my wedding dress on such and such a day/time and will be sending it to you to be steamed/pressed. Can you confirm that you can accommodate that or do you foresee any issues I or the hotel haven't thought about. The dress has beading/rhinestones/whatever...is that a problem? Will you able to have it done in the timeframe the hotel has promised?"

You get the picture. The last thing you want is the hotel saying "sorry, we sent it out for 1 day service, we don't know why it's not back." And the dry cleaner saying "sorry, we require 48 hours for wedding dresses but we're closed on Sundays so there's no way we can have it done before Monday."

Whatever you decide, good luck; I hope it all works out.

We flew on Continental last fall to Hawaii. I checked the online seat plan and it appeared to be a half full flight. But when we checked in, each and every seat onboard was occupied, not one extra seat on the entire plane in any class available. I agree with whoever said not to count on half the seats being empty. Our flight was packed! Good luck though. And keep in mind, that I doubt they will allow you to keep your dress in your lap for take off and landing so I would find a way to pack it in something to store in the overhead bin. If the flight does happen to be full, those bins will be packed to capacity and everything there gets squished, so a dress bag would be a real problem. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Check the dress and avoid this mess. Like other posters have mentioned, the security scans can be disgusting. Personally, I'd rather risk a check (whether it be gate or curbside) of the dress in a secure box than bring it in that tiny aircraft with a bunch of a-holes from NJ and NY (I should know, I live here lol) and hope that everyone treats it with the respect that they'd treat their own stuff. You can be rest assured that they won't. If you're from around here, I'm sure you won't argue that point. Born and raised near Trenton, so...36 years of hardened NJer here. :-)

Ease your mind, check the dress, gate check it if you're afraid it won't get on the right plane, and avoid the potential for it to be squished any which way in an overhead or under a seat or even in a closet full of FA gear.

Just my 2 cents. :-) Have a great wedding and try not to stress the little things too much, it'll be over before you know it.

Having said all that, I will offer two suggestions.

1. Talk to the airline about gate-checking your dress. It's more "secure," so to speak, than checking it like a regular checked bag, because there's less risk of it being lost or misdirected. You could pack it in a wedding dress storage box, and perhaps the airline can label it as fragile.

This is exactly what I would be doing. Also, pack it in a box or carry on suitcase for the security check.

There is barely enough room in those overhead bins to store everyones stuff - there is no way you're going to be able to grab one just for your dress.

Other passengers will not care about your dress; what they will care about is making sure they can stick their stuff in an overhead bin as well, which could be disasterous for your dress.

Do your research now to find a company in Hawaii that can steam your dress. Check with the hotel you're staying at, see if there are any bridal salons in the area, etc. They should all be able to either do this for you or recommend a place that can. That way, if you can't hang your dress you'll have a back up plan.

Just because a lot of others have been able to hang their dress, doesn't mean that you'll have the same luck.

So it turns out my dress will NOT fit in the carry on........I called continental and got a very nice guy who told me to get to the gate EARLY...and talk to the gate agents who SHOULD be able to accomodate me. He said the flight are NOT full, and that worse case, they can gate check it if the closet is full or it wont get into the overhead bin. I will be double garment bagging it and cross my fingers. We are on a 5:30am flight, and plan to get to the gate at 3am which is 2 1/2 hours early for a non international flight....the 1st leg is ewr to houston....

Archived