Can't bring water on Royal Caribbean

trizzou

BTW-last time at PC,I had a bottle of Vitamin Water.I had drank some of it and they made me throw away the rest..........what do you think the theory of that was??Maybe they thought I had liquor in there:confused:..............but jeez--it was half full and it was orange....not like it was a clear color and it was rum!

I think the issue is people trying to find every reason under the sun for the charges and policies that RCI puts into place instead of the obvious. RCI has a habit of doing that themselves. When they put new charges into place somehow they manage to twist it around to assure people that it is to enhance their cruise vacation enjoyment. They just don't seem to be able to actually say that they are trying to increase their bottom line. It makes it seem as though they think that their average customer is stupid.

The no alcohol policy is SUPPOSELY about controlling drinking. If that is the case how does one justify the soda and water policy? Simple, it is the money factor.

I agree completely that it is about money, but I am not so sure that they need to explain the reasons behind their policies. If they had to explain that, what about the color choices for the hallways or the doors? I have not seen it in this thread, but in the past I have seen the whining kid sydrome come out. RCCL just needs to start saying "because I say so", or how about "while you are under my roof"

I agree completely that it is about money, but I am not so sure that they need to explain the reasons behind their policies. If they had to explain that, what about the color choices for the hallways or the doors? I have not seen it in this thread, but in the past I have seen the whining kid sydrome come out. RCCL just needs to start saying "because I say so", or how about "while you are under my roof"

Correct, they don't have to give any reason. And in my opinion no reason would be much better than some trumped up "to enhance the customer's experience" reason. It just makes it look like they think their customers are stupid. I consider that rather disrespectful. As far as "when you are under my roof" yes I see your point. However, when I am paying several thousand dollars to be under their roof they had better be somewhat polite in how they say it.;)

Correct, they don't have to give any reason. And in my opinion no reason would be much better than some trumped up "to enhance the customer's experience" reason. It just makes it look like they think their customers are stupid. I consider that rather disrespectful. As far as "when you are under my roof" yes I see your point. However, when I am paying several thousand dollars to be under their roof they had better be somewhat polite in how they say it.;)

Well put! I am also a fan of giving no reason, even if they are 100% accurate I am sure there would be people who feel there is something else going on. I do think the the booze thing has some basis in safety, but that is most likely the excuse. It could be worse we could be talking about the federal government these days.

BTW-last time at PC,I had a bottle of Vitamin Water.I had drank some of it and they made me throw away the rest..........what do you think the theory of that was??Maybe they thought I had liquor in there:confused:..............but jeez--it was half full and it was orange....not like it was a clear color and it was rum!

three-olives-rangtang-vodka.jpg

The water on the ship is fine to drink....I'm not sure why anyone would want to lug a bunch of heavy water!

True, the rule that you can't bring potable liquids onboard is stupid, whether it's water or booze...

But the water on the ship is perfectly fine!

nope I only drink vitamin water

It is just so silly. I'm not going to pay for a water either way. Having a few water bottles in my room isn't going to make me pay $3 for a bottle of water - I will just go get a glass of water for free. I'll just have to go get one. So all they are doing is irritating me, not gaining money. I'm not going to be dramatic and say that I'm never going to cruise with them again, I like Royal Caribbean but if there get to be too many things that make me shake my head I am more likely to check out other lines instead of just automatically book with Royal.

Correct, they don't have to give any reason. And in my opinion no reason would be much better than some trumped up "to enhance the customer's experience" reason.

Gotta tell ya, it enhances my customer experience to not have to pay more for the cruise to make up for the lost revenue of folks bringing their own water/pop/booze onboard.

The cost of goods and services have gone up significantly but we're still paying rates that are very comparable - and in many cases lower - than when we started cruising 30-some years ago.

It's funny how this seems to be a cruise thing. You never see someone comment on a Disney World board that they weren't allowed to carry their cooler of pop and water through the gate so they will never return. I mean, we all go a heckuva lot of places that we can't take our own drinks into...wonder why folks get suprised that that same rule/business philosophy would also apply to cruise ships. :confused:

For me - and I know it's not for all of you - but for me, if I know I'll want a non-gratis drink on a ship (or at Disney or in a Maui restaurant...), I just budget that into the cost of the trip. btw - I also figure that they will add in the fuel surcharge prior to sailing as part of my budget, too. When they don't (and they have not exercised their option to for the past several months as they are certainly able to), that's just a bit more money in the vacation budget.

I know that folks are put off when they can no longer do something that they used to be able to (heck, I'd love to walk through security with my shoes on and not be questioned about whether the bottle I transfered my shampoo to was 3 oz or 4!) but at least there was a time when I could do that. And I can choose to be grateful that I've not had to dirty my socks all my life. ;) Which is a better way to live than being resentful that I have to remove them now.

You can either choose to celebrate what you do have or mourn what you don't. As for me, I enjoy a celebration.

(Ocean Boy - this is not directed to your post. I just wanted to address the "enhance the customer's experience" quote. Thought I'd picked it up from an earlier post but actually got it from yours. Didn't want you to think I was addressing you directly/specifically. :) )

I try to stay out of posts like this but geez I am sick of reading threads where folks are whining because they cant bring cases of water on their cruise. Its RCCL's policy..PERIOD!!:confused:

It appears that their are other cruise lines that allow it so it makes sense that if you are adamant about having your own water (for whatever reason)then why not cruise that line..it seems a simple fix to me...or am i over simplifying the situation (i have a tendency to do that):D

I am a body builder so I habitually drink a gallon of water a day, plus the water I use to mix my protein...all of which my DH and I managed to do on the Oasis. The purified water went down without a problem and we bought a bottles of water for poolside and to drink our protein in our staterooms. Easy!;)

I try to stay out of posts like this but geez I am sick of reading threads where folks are whining because they cant bring cases of water on their cruise. Its RCCL's policy..PERIOD!!:confused:

It appears that their are other cruise lines that allow it so it makes sense that if you are adamant about having your own water (for whatever reason)then why not cruise that line..it seems a simple fix to me...or am i over simplifying the situation (i have a tendency to do that):D

I am a body builder so I habitually drink a gallon of water a day, plus the water I use to mix my protein...all of which my DH and I managed to do on the Oasis. The purified water went down without a problem and we bought a bottles of water for poolside and to drink our protein in our staterooms. Easy!;)

No one is making you read the water threads, if you don't want to read them, then don't open them. There are many topics here that I don't want to read about so I don't, quite simple.

You never see someone comment on a Disney World board that they weren't allowed to carry their cooler of pop and water through the gate so they will never return.

It doesn't really matter but I wanted to let you know in case you ever go.

You can actually take your own drinks/food into the Disney Parks (At least Disney World you can). DH and I live close and we often pack a few cold water bottles and sandwiches in a book bag. I think you can take a cooler as long as it isn't a hard cooler - I've never had the inclination to cart a cooler around though lol

Has nothing to do with cruising, but thought I'd tell you in case you go :)

Gotta tell ya, it enhances my customer experience to not have to pay more for the cruise to make up for the lost revenue of folks bringing their own water/pop/booze onboard.

The cost of goods and services have gone up significantly but we're still paying rates that are very comparable - and in many cases lower - than when we started cruising 30-some years ago.

It's funny how this seems to be a cruise thing. You never see someone comment on a Disney World board that they weren't allowed to carry their cooler of pop and water through the gate so they will never return. I mean, we all go a heckuva lot of places that we can't take our own drinks into...wonder why folks get suprised that that same rule/business philosophy would also apply to cruise ships. :confused:

For me - and I know it's not for all of you - but for me, if I know I'll want a non-gratis drink on a ship (or at Disney or in a Maui restaurant...), I just budget that into the cost of the trip. btw - I also figure that they will add in the fuel surcharge prior to sailing as part of my budget, too. When they don't (and they have not exercised their option to for the past several months as they are certainly able to), that's just a bit more money in the vacation budget.

I know that folks are put off when they can no longer do something that they used to be able to (heck, I'd love to walk through security with my shoes on and not be questioned about whether the bottle I transfered my shampoo to was 3 oz or 4!) but at least there was a time when I could do that. And I can choose to be grateful that I've not had to dirty my socks all my life. ;) Which is a better way to live than being resentful that I have to remove them now.

You can either choose to celebrate what you do have or mourn what you don't. As for me, I enjoy a celebration.

(Ocean Boy - this is not directed to your post. I just wanted to address the "enhance the customer's experience" quote. Thought I'd picked it up from an earlier post but actually got it from yours. Didn't want you to think I was addressing you directly/specifically. :) )

Actually, what gets carried aboard, or not, has little to do with what you pay for your cruise. The cruise lines are going to charge whatever the traffic will bear for each cabin. They don't keep prices down because they are selling more soda and water by not letting you carry your own aboard. The object is to maximize revenue in each department and not to keep pricing in one department down by increasing sales in another department.

The reason you may be paying less that what you were thiry years ago is because 30 years ago there were far fewer cabins available and the cruise lines had enough demand for them to charge whatever they were getting. Just imagine what you would be paying today if the number of cabins was the same as thirty years ago along with today's demand.

As far as Disney goes, do they stop you from bringing soda back to your hotel room if you are staying on Disney property? I ask that seriously as I have no idea. My last trip to Disney was years ago and we did not stay on their property.

Well

1. My "$239" was "$339" which turned into $574 after the fees, taxes and misc other stuff.. then after their $40 for 8 bottles of water and 4 days of "adult" beverages it turned into $900+ (and that was ONE of 8 people in my party). The purpose was to DRINK.

2. It was 3 cases of water for 4 rooms (8 people)

3. I DID read the contract.. and water is NOT on the list of prohibited items. Both managers said they were sorry and would have it added ASAP.

I didn't mean to anger anyone here, just venting a little.. jeesh..

We were also on the Monarch August 16th. We had brought 1 case of water that they held from us but did deliver to our room after we expained that it was for our two year old. We also had looked and found nothing in our contract about water not being allowed.

As far as Disney goes, do they stop you from bringing soda back to your hotel room if you are staying on Disney property? I ask that seriously as I have no idea. My last trip to Disney was years ago and we did not stay on their property.

I have stayed at The All Music Resort and The All Star Resort and both time we were able to bring a 12 pack of Soda with us.

Their POLICY is vague at best and non existent at the worst. Enforcement of said lack of policy is all over the board. I think people have plenty of reason to be upset until a true policy is put into the cruise contract and enforced across the fleet.

That is standard Homeland Security policy since the liquid underpants bomber. No open liquids through security at any sea ports or airports.

My wife and I went to the American Airlines counter to redeem some vouchers yesterday. As we stood there waiting for them to figure out how to book $1k worth of flights for $70(fees) I watched a lady completely flip out on an agent because she was not allowed to pass through security with a baseball bat. I can understand why the TSA agents usually have a pretty sour attitude. Maybe if you are the first one through the screening for the day you will get a smile, but I am pretty sure after 50-60 people they are miserable.

We were on Jewel recently around the Baltic and took a 1L bottle of Evian onboard each... It was open but we only had had a couple of sips and no body stopped us....

So, at each port we did the same thing - and everytime we walked onboard with a 'opened' bottle of water and nobody took it off us.

My wife and I went to the American Airlines counter to redeem some vouchers yesterday. As we stood there waiting for them to figure out how to book $1k worth of flights for $70(fees) I watched a lady completely flip out on an agent because she was not allowed to pass through security with a baseball bat. I can understand why the TSA agents usually have a pretty sour attitude. Maybe if you are the first one through the screening for the day you will get a smile, but I am pretty sure after 50-60 people they are miserable.

So now we can't bring baseball bats on ship-board either??

Buying bottled water is environmentally insensitive, expensive, and less safe than the ship's public water supply. Using re-usuable water bottles is a great idea, but using bottled water just to throw away the plastic container imho is really thoughtless. If you do use bottled water, I certainly hope that you recycle the containers when back on ship.

The cruise line should be praised for enforcing it's written policy and forcing you to be smarter, more environmentally savvy, and hopefully better informed on your next cruise.

Archived