Can't bring water on Royal Caribbean

trizzou

Actually, you are correct that your original post of this thread was your fourth post on Cruise Critic.

That's because your first post was: (highlighting added by me)

And you had a dozen people telling you that although you seem to be able to bring it on board, the water on board is excellent.

To which you replied: (again, highlighting added by me)

So you got your wish! :D

Seems he followed CC advise.

Please find a "non-alcohol" policy in your next cruise contract. Doesn't exist, it is in the FAQ on the website and that is all. RCCI can expect upset peopel with completely inconsistant rules and enforcement.

Please find on the same page in Post #78 where I came back and posted the cruise contract and apologized to trizzou. ;)

When I am wrong, I can easily admit it. :p

Please find a "non-alcohol" policy in your next cruise contract. Doesn't exist, it is in the FAQ on the website and that is all. RCCI can expect upset peopel with completely inconsistant rules and enforcement.

Page 16 of the contract for my 9/25 cruise says this

" Beverage Policy

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-

alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any

other use."

Please find on the same page in Post #78 where I came back and posted the cruise contract and apologized to trizzou. ;)

When I am wrong, I can easily admit it. :p

Yeah, I replied as I was reading through and saw your response later. It really seems like the lack of policy and enforcement creates more animosity than anything. MOST people want to follow the rules, but when you think something is ok and then you get your stuff taken you feel bad. Alot of people would be embarrassed or offended by being called to the naughty area for water they thought was ok to bring.

" Beverage Policy

other use."

Well, that was fast. My sailing is 9/11. So the contract is different from the 9/11 sailing to the 9/25 sailing.

Woohooo we can bring huge amounts of soda and water on my cruise and you can't! It says it in my contract! :p;)

" Beverage Policy

other use."

That is from the FAQ section of your ticket booklet. The Contract starts on page 18, this is the only section you are legally bound to. And it states in section 9 "Passenger further agrees that Carrier may prohibit or

restrict Passenger from bringing any alcoholic beverages for consumption onboard the Vessel and agrees to comply with any Carrier policy covering such matters."

Although this is probably what they are using and this is what is going to upset a lot of people from section 3

"Carrier reserves the right to refuse to permit any Passenger to take on board the Vessel or on any mode of Transport any item Carrier deems inappropriate."

That is from the FAQ section of your ticket booklet. The Contract starts on page 18, this is the only section you are legally bound to. And it states in section 9 "Passenger further agrees that Carrier may prohibit or

restrict Passenger from bringing any alcoholic beverages for consumption onboard the Vessel and agrees to comply with any Carrier policy covering such matters."

Although this is probably what they are using and this is what is going to upset a lot of people from section 3

"Carrier reserves the right to refuse to permit any Passenger to take on board the Vessel or on any mode of Transport any item Carrier deems inappropriate."

Honestly, I don't care what you call it, the "policy" is in writing and it is clear. They don't want me to bring ANY beverages with me. So be it, I won't bring any. No big deal to me. Mama taught me manners. :p

Just my $0.02 worth...

I can understand the no alcohol including wine policy. I don't like it, but I can understand why it's there. I do think that banning bottled water and soda for personal consumption is getting a little ridiculous. I read the post about the refillable bottles...beyond absurd!:rolleyes:

I understand the cruiselines are businesses and they have an obligation to the stockholders to improve their bottom line. I just think they need to be more reasonable with some of the bannings and charges. At some point even the dedicated cruisers are going to start to look at what their other options are for their vacation $$$. Have you ever heard of being prohibited from using your own refillable bottle at a land based resort? I haven't either.:(

I'm glad I found this post. We are going on the Oasis in December and we were planning on bringing a small case of water on board. We usually take a couple bottles off board on the islands while we are on a tour or on the beach. And it's nice if your thirsty in the middle of the night to keep a bottle by your bed.

We went on the Carnival Freedom in April 2010 and had a case of water and a 12 pack of diet pepsi for my mother-in-law and both were delivered to our cabin without a problem. We also carried on 3 bottles of wine. They allowed 1 bottle of wine for each 21 or older person boarding. No problems. The only thing that was confiscated was our power strip which was delivered to our cabin the last day of sailing.

We still rack up a bunch on our sail card too.

Guess we won't be taking anything with us on this one. :(

Well, that was fast. My sailing is 9/11. So the contract is different from the 9/11 sailing to the 9/25 sailing.

Woohooo we can bring huge amounts of soda and water on my cruise and you can't! It says it in my contract! :p;)

I just did my online check in for our 10/9 cruise and the 8 page contract says no alcoholic beverages, non-alcoholic beverages are not listed at all. Not sure about what page 16 Whyrlygig has but the contract that I had to agree to so I could print my setsail pass does not mention anything other than alcoholic beverages.

It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but Heinz ketchup really is the best IMO. I always wonder about places that serve some other (cheap) brand. Is it really worth it for these businesses to serve some runny, strange tasting, off color ketchup-just to save a few pennies? Cheap, cheap, cheap. And it's only ketchup.

A lot of people here want to criticize the OP for even trying to board with water. I think it says a lot more about RCI for taking away pax's bottled water. Is RCI that desperate? It's WATER for crying out loud.

It isn't about water. It is a bout money. And considering the mark-up on a bottle of water it is about a lot of money.

Just my $0.02 worth...

I can understand the no alcohol including wine policy. I don't like it, but I can understand why it's there. I do think that banning bottled water and soda for personal consumption is getting a little ridiculous. I read the post about the refillable bottles...beyond absurd!:rolleyes:

I understand the cruiselines are businesses and they have an obligation to the stockholders to improve their bottom line. I just think they need to be more reasonable with some of the bannings and charges. At some point even the dedicated cruisers are going to start to look at what their other options are for their vacation $$$. Have you ever heard of being prohibited from using your own refillable bottle at a land based resort? I haven't either.:(

Why is it that you can understand it when it comes to alcohol and wine but not water and soda? It is all the same principle. The only difference is that with alcohol and wine they can pretend that the reason for the policy is to keep people from becoming overly drunk.

There aren't widespread reports about 'no water' so it could just be that one ship for now. I think it is idiotic that people can't bring water onboard. I can see them saying that we have to carry it on ourselves, in luggage, and they can inspect it, but to ban it is ridiculous. They are getting more annoying every day.

Wow, hard to believe there is already 4 pages about bottled water.

Hey, I'm not a big fan of paying RCI's prices for a bottle of water for my wife but, I'm not a big fan of checking cases of water in to be delivered to my stateroom for free and, I bet those delivering them aren't to thrilled about it either. Add to this the disposal costs and loss of income and RCI has little incentive to allow customers to continue packing in multiple cases of water.

Sure RCI has to pay to dispose of both bottle's they sell and bottle's brought onboard but, I'd be willing to bet that those who buy onboard buy the larger bottle's, which results in less plastic to be disposed of, and buy fewer of them vs having multiple cases of 24 smaller bottle's.

Considering that when I was a kid, we drank water straight out of the garden hose, it always amazes me that people will be particular to ONE brand of bottled water. I've given up on my wife, who insistes on drinking bottled water at home as well as on the road (I can almost understand on the road as tap water quality can vary greatly).

It just seems to me that, of all the things to complain about on a cruise, the inability to bring your own $3.95 case of water is one of those minor inconveniences that shouldn't even register on the scale of things that are wrong in this world.

Remember how good that hose water tasted and it didn't appear to hurt us too much as we are still alive and cruising.;)

Wait, is this new? Last November we saw several people checking cases of water (for our Monarch cruise) and when my parents went in 2008 (can't remember the ship - whatever FOS replaced at Port Canaveral) they checked a case of soda.
Must be new since I brought a case on in June(was on for a b2b)......never even drank half of it......left it for the steward......will never even bother again......

They can't even enforce dress/what to wear in MDR policies!;)

Thats cuz it is SUGGESTED attire.......cant enforce something suggested....

I read some posts a while back about people who were taking the water cases apart carefully, filling the center bottles with booze and then reassembling them to look as if the case had not been opened. Wonder if that thread had anything to do with the change???:confused:
Thats why i think they are cracking down....at least one of the reasons.........

Why is it that you can understand it when it comes to alcohol and wine but not water and soda? It is all the same principle. The only difference is that with alcohol and wine they can pretend that the reason for the policy is to keep people from becoming overly drunk.

Actually, it's just about money! Otherwise, why would sister =X= still allow two bottles of wine as well as Disney and Carnival? It's similar to what the airlines are now doing. Keep the ticket price low to lure-in the uninformed, then charge for more of the incidentals.

I am recovering from throat cancer and after chemo and radiation my saliva glands were severely affected where I require water throughout the day and night to fill that void. On my last cruise in July after discovering that RCI was not allowing people to bring on water I just adapted. During the day I carry a 3oz bottle in my pocket and for shore excursions I bring an insulated thermos bottle. I like the insulated thermos better because it keeps the water cooler for shore excursions and I can also put coffee in it. As long as it is empty TSA or RCI didn't care if I carry it with me. I also learned a backpacker's trick by bringing some denture cleaning tablets along to clean and sanitize my bottles. The generic ones are very cheap.

Before going ashore I either take my thermos up to the Windjammer and fill it with the water with ice they put in glasses at the beverage station or take a couple of the ice water glasses to my room and fill it there. I actually thought this was more convenient than taking bottled water on board.

Shak

Wow, I had no problems to bring a case of 6 half liter bottles of water aboard the Oasis in May. I had them in my backpack and I was only asked whether they are sealed or not. A week later I boarded the Majesty and noone asked at all. I had 3 bottles in my backpack, two in the outside mesh pockets (clearly visible). Noone asked at all.

Actually I don´t like Evian water but I´m not picky and get along with the ice water, iced tea and lemonade. Main purpose of the water bottles is having a supply for the shore stops.

steamboats

I am recovering from throat cancer and after chemo and radiation my saliva glands were severely affected where I require water throughout the day and night to fill that void. On my last cruise in July after discovering that RCI was not allowing people to bring on water I just adapted. During the day I carry a 3oz bottle in my pocket and for shore excursions I bring an insulated thermos bottle. I like the insulated thermos better because it keeps the water cooler for shore excursions and I can also put coffee in it. As long as it is empty TSA or RCI didn't care if I carry it with me. I also learned a backpacker's trick by bringing some denture cleaning tablets along to clean and sanitize my bottles. The generic ones are very cheap.

Before going ashore I either take my thermos up to the Windjammer and fill it with the water with ice they put in glasses at the beverage station or take a couple of the ice water glasses to my room and fill it there. I actually thought this was more convenient than taking bottled water on board.

Shak

I used to do that until RC confiscated my personal water bottle three years ago because I "might" use it to smuggle alcohol. I didn't and wasn't going to use it for anything but water, but they still disagreed :rolleyes: The security people were the ones who said sealed bottles of water were okay so I started bringing those. I "might" do alot of things once onboard that are against their rules. I'm surprised they let anyone onboard.

Every bottle of water that I have ever seen has had a tamper proof seal on the cap just like almost everything else sold these days. So why do they even have to open a sealed bottle? They don't know how to tell when a seal has been broken? I would not drink what was in the bottle if the seal was broken so I would say that RCI owes you a few bottles of water.

See, not all of us who sail RCI are die hard cheerleaders!

Not quite tamperproof! I showed my wife a few weeks ago as I opened the bottle and replaced the cap using a small piece of aluminum.

I used to do that until RC confiscated my personal water bottle three years ago because I "might" use it to smuggle alcohol. I didn't and wasn't going to use it for anything but water, but they still disagreed :rolleyes: The security people were the ones who said sealed bottles of water were okay so I started bringing those. I "might" do alot of things once onboard that are against their rules. I'm surprised they let anyone onboard.

That is just one more example of RCI being just plain over the top ridiculous.

LIke it shouldn't be about money?

I think the issue is people trying to find every reason under the sun for the charges and policies that RCI puts into place instead of the obvious. RCI has a habit of doing that themselves. When they put new charges into place somehow they manage to twist it around to assure people that it is to enhance their cruise vacation enjoyment. They just don't seem to be able to actually say that they are trying to increase their bottom line. It makes it seem as though they think that their average customer is stupid.

The no alcohol policy is SUPPOSELY about controlling drinking. If that is the case how does one justify the soda and water policy? Simple, it is the money factor.

I have been taking my thermos on cruise ships and airplanes for a number of years now including last month. I had the thermos in my water bottle holder in plain view on my pack with the lid off and neither the TSA or RCI gave it a second look.

Shak

Archived