Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You

philsfun

I hope we get some more Princess tips:p

After reading your list I was reminded of some things.

If you do laundry onboard I suggest you bring a roll of quarters and powder laundry detergent (can't fly with liquid in carry on and it may leak in checked bag) because sometimes the coin machine and vending machine are empty or don't work. I used Purex 3 in 1 laundry sheets. You throw it in the washing machine and it will release soap. Take the sheet out of the wash a place it in the dryer with the wet cloths and it's a fabric softener anti static sheet. If you can't find the Purex in Wal-Mart or the supermarket you can go to a Laundromat and purchase detergent there or you can just pack powder detergent in Ziploc bags.

If you purchase the coffee card and don't use all the punches for specialty coffee you can reuse the card on your next Princess sailing so don't lose it or throw it away.

I think the soda card is $4.50 a day plus 15% gratuity and the ultimate card is $9.00 a day plus 15% gratuity.

They usually have spa and salon specials on port days. These will be well advertised so it’s not a secret.

If you decide to eat in a specialty restaurant you may want to make the reservation for the last night. The Landfall menu is ordinary with choices like meatloaf and turkey dinner with stuffing. The only thing you will miss is the baked Alaska which isn’t that great. If you decide to eat in Sabatini’s I would make a reservation for the night that they are serving Italian food in the main dining room.

When we went on our Princess cruise I brought on a case of beer. I carried it in an open Sams Club bag and everyone could see that I had beer. I could hear peoples saying, "Does she really think she's gonna get that beer on?" Low and behold I didn't have any problems. As I was boarding the ship, one of the Princess employees even said, "Miller Lite, my favorite beer." No problem getting it on, at all. I also bought another 12 pack in one of the ports and no problem getting it on there either. We still ordered plenty of drinks on the ship but it was nice to have beer in our room to drink on the balcony. I have heard that it may depend on what port you are going out of but I took a chance and didn't have any problems in Miami.

When we went on our Princess cruise I brought on a case of beer. I carried it in an open Sams Club bag and everyone could see that I had beer. I could hear peoples saying, "Does she really think she's gonna get that beer on?" Low and behold I didn't have any problems. As I was boarding the ship, one of the Princess employees even said, "Miller Lite, my favorite beer." No problem getting it on, at all. I also bought another 12 pack in one of the ports and no problem getting it on there either. We still ordered plenty of drinks on the ship but it was nice to have beer in our room to drink on the balcony. I have heard that it may depend on what port you are going out of but I took a chance and didn't have any problems in Miami.

Question: How do you keep them cold once on board?

I bring detergent that is embedded in a "dryer sheet" like product. Very light weight and it is premeasured--unlike powdered detergents. The instructions recommend tossing it with the clothes in the dryer for the fabric softener product in it. Always do, because who would want to search around in the load of clothes for it.

On the topic of wine, check the wine list (it's posted online) prior to packing. It's not a bad list. I have a little collection at home and only bring what I am fairly certain will not be on board. You can bring a case.

Just be sure to tip when dropping your precious babies off at the port for embarkation. You don't want good wine to roast in the heat or be bounced around.

If you have brought a fabulous bottle or two or twelve on board, sharing is befenicial. Yes, it gives you karma points. If you offer a glass or bottle to the maitre d' and/or chef, the positive karma may result in interesting and delicious table surprises. Which in turn inspires more wine giving. ;)

The other secret is that if you have traditional dining and members of your party are under the weather (my parents caught colds on the last cruise), the dining staff can send an entire meal from the dining room to them. This is probably dependant on your relationship with your servers (see note about karma) but it was greatly appreciated.

No one has yet mentioned what we thought was a Big Secret! Our TV on the last 2 cruises wouldn't shut off so called pursars desk. They talked us through how to unplug it, leave it alone for a minute and then replug! Now that in itself was great but, when you open the little door under the TV for the plug, well, there are extra outlets not being used! This was great when the shortage of outlets to recharge everything we needed to recharge was a problem! Not any more.

And beer. We were told beer is not considered alchol, go figure, and allowed to bring on board at every port. Once not even in a bag.

I love that! As I'm always looking for extra outlets. I usually have brought along foreign adapters to hook into foreign outlets that transfer to 110! I will look for these next cruise,

Lemonade, in addition to iced tea, is available free all day in the buffet area.

When my DS was younger, I would take a couple extra glasses of juice (and cartons of milk) back to my room after breakfast and stash them in the fridge for later in the day. Worked well for us.

Salami, cheese, crackers, and sometimes a few other delicious snacks are usually available in the buffet in late afternoon. Easy to make up a plate and take it back to the room, then enjoy with some wine on the balcony (particularly good for sailaways).

The compilation was certainly a useful posting! Thanks! I was just chatting with DH while cooking in the kitchen together and told him about the MDR for lunch on Embarkation Day... Gonna have to give that a try! I love the Welcome Aboard buffet because usually we're traveling day-of and after boarding a plane in the wee hours of the morning, I've usually worked up a good appetite by lunch/late lunch time. MDR sit-down lunch seems like it would be more relaxed and refreshing after a very long train ride this upcoming cruise morning-of, I'm going to be an antsy mess!

MDR on embarkation day closes at (usually) 1.30pm....so no late lunches there...we know...we missed out twice by about 5 minutes!!! Darn!!

You can buy brewed coffee or special teas at the IC for $1.25 for a large cup. It is far better than what they serve in the MDR or Horizon Ct. If you buy the coffee card, it is complimentary, but if you enjoy a good cup of coffee or tea and don't like the fancy coffee drinks that come with the coffee card, it's not expensive to buy a cup now and then.

No one has yet mentioned what we thought was a Big Secret! Our TV on the last 2 cruises wouldn't shut off so called pursars desk. They talked us through how to unplug it, leave it alone for a minute and then replug! Now that in itself was great but, when you open the little door under the TV for the plug, well, there are extra outlets not being used! This was great when the shortage of outlets to recharge everything we needed to recharge was a problem! Not any more.

And beer. We were told beer is not considered alchol, go figure, and allowed to bring on board at every port. Once not even in a bag.

Dang, didn't even know that. I'll have to do more shopping at each port I vist in the future.....:):):)

Bob

and it is called PUREX 3 IN 1. Use it with our FL washer so no pouring 2 TBSP detergent each load & softener for each load. Now just throw the sheet in & all goes into the dryer & use it to clean the dryer filter.

Be sure to clean the dryer filter on the ship too so no fire like we had on Carnival Ecstacy.

I bring detergent that is embedded in a "dryer sheet" like product. Very light weight and it is premeasured--unlike powdered detergents. The instructions recommend tossing it with the clothes in the dryer for the fabric softener product in it. Always do, because who would want to search around in the load of clothes for it.

Question: How do you keep them cold once on board?

DH sometimes will a bucket from the bar and keep it in the room full of beer and ice.

Also, on the Royal last month we had fresh squeezed OJ in the dining room at breakfast every morning and there was no charge,

Even though the outlet in the bathroom is marked for shavers only you can plug in a nightlight and it will work without any problems. Sure beats being blinded by the bright bathroom light in the middle of the night.

Also good for charging a camera battery

In May we were on the Caribbean Princess and they offer a Cocktail Hour in the Skywalker Lounge with great appetitzers and reduced cocktail (Ony one to choose from at $2.99) of course you could get anything else you wanted at reg. price. Don't know if it will be offered on the Grand 11-08 sailing...hope so, it is available to Platium and Elite as well as Suite (Not counting Mini- suites) They close off 1/2 the area and do check cards - but if even one in your group is platium just have them pay for the drinks. It is every night of the cruise except the captains party. There will be an invite in your room. We really enjoyed going there. :D

Ditto on the Purex 1 in 3 - saves a ton of hassel also we carry a roll of quarters change machines are often broken.

Archived