Rccl v Princess Emerald

Princess Emerald v RCCL Jewel

We can't make up our minds between 10 nights on the Emerald or the Jewel. One is mainly Caribbean the other is classed as the ultimate Caribbean and Panama. We have done the ports before. So here is the question which do we go for? We are Diamond plus with Royal and Platinum with Princess. Which one do you think I would get the most benefits from? We love both cruiselines. Just unsure with these two ships. Thanks Kimberley

Having been on both ships, I would vote Jewel hands down.

Especially if you are D+, you can use a Balcony Discount or Savings Certificate as a discount. The discounts for Platinum Princess are hit and miss, and not offered on every sailing.

You will have access to the CL on the Jewel, on the Emerald they have a Cocktail Hour for Platinum and Elite with reduced rate drinks and nibbles.

In terms of the ship, I prefer Radiance class design to the Emerald design.

Don't get me wrong, the Emerald is a lovely ship, but as a D+ with RCI and Platinum with Princess, I believe your best bet is Jewel. The itinerary is also a fabulous one too.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise.

Radiance class ships are super - very sleek design - lots of glass to view outside - glass elevators that face the ocean - the Windjammer (buffet style restaurant for b'fast / lunch / dinner) has both indoor and outdoor dining tables - excellent speciality restaurants (Chops and Portofino's) - beautiful two floor main dining area - super solarium for adults onlt.....this is our favorite class ship (have been on all RCCL ships at least once)...but the Oasis is a strong second!!!!

Have been on the Sapphire Princess but not the Emerald Princess but if their deck plans are at all similar, I would recommend the Jewel. Sapphire traffic patterns were terrible. All too often it was not possible to get from one location on a deck to another on the same deck without going up or down a deck over and then back down or up to the original deck. The atrium on Sapphire was attractive but only a few decks high, while the Jewel Centrum soars 11 decks high and really delivers the WOW factor when you first board the ship. I, personally, prefer the traditional and My Time Dining arrangements of RCI to the traditional (assuming you can even get it) and Anytime Dining arrangements on Princess ships. In many other regards both lines offer very similar cruise experiences, but if the itineraries are so similar as to make your choice that difficult, I would strongly recommend Jewel of the Seas.

Have been on the Sapphire Princess but not the Emerald Princess but if their deck plans are at all similar, I would recommend the Jewel. Sapphire traffic patterns were terrible. All too often it was not possible to get from one location on a deck to another on the same deck without going up or down a deck over and then back down or up to the original deck. The atrium on Sapphire was attractive but only a few decks high, while the Jewel Centrum soars 11 decks high and really delivers the WOW factor when you first board the ship. I, personally, prefer the traditional and My Time Dining arrangements of RCI to the traditional (assuming you can even get it) and Anytime Dining arrangements on Princess ships. In many other regards both lines offer very similar cruise experiences, but if the itineraries are so similar as to make your choice that difficult, I would strongly recommend Jewel of the Seas.

AGREE!! The Sapphire was really narrow. We noticed this on all the decks, and especially the outside promenade deck.

Can't believe that someone that has the experience with both cruise lines would have to ask what cruise line to sail and which gives the most benefits.

I could understand if someone never cruised before but not a experienced cruiser.

Been on the Emerald (twice) and the Brilliance (sister ship to the Jewel) and if based on ship preference only would hands down choose the Jewel (which we are on in March!) That is my favorite class of ship! The Emerald was nice and very beautiful but felt very crowded.

We sailed on the Ruby, a sister ship to the Emerald, and more than once on the Radiance, a sister ship to the Jewel. Both have their pluses and minuses. I don't think you can go wrong with either ship. Having sailed on the Ruby less than a year ago, I give a slight edge to Princess since the food was outstanding.

Thanks everyone for their replys. Yes I have cruised on both lines sometimes you can become blinkered on you are my fresh eyes. Normally I only have myself and hubby to please this time I have my 20 year old daughter and her boyfriend to also please. Many thanks Kimberley

When you post this type of question on the RCI board you are generally going to get most folks telling you to go with RCI. If you post it on the Princess board they will tell you to go with Princess (this is the "Cheerleader Syndrome") We are Diamond with RCI and have always loved the Radiance Class ships (they are our favorite class). We are Elite with Princess and happen to love their Grand Class ships...especially for their amazing balconies on the Caribe Deck. Platinum on Princess is not going to get you the same level of bennies you get as a Diamond Plus...especially if you take advantage of the Concierge Lounge. On the other hand, if you go on Princess you can bring aboard some wine to enjoy in your cabin, you can bring aboard all the water and soda you please, your wine prices (in the dining room) are going to be somewhat less expensive for comparable wines, you will have MUTS, and arguably we think the food on Princess is somewhat better than on RCI since RCI made so many budget reductions (we have seen some similar signs on Princess). Given that you are traveling with young adults we think they would probably find more to like on the larger Princess ships then on the Radiance Class ships.

Hank

When you post this type of question on the RCI board you are generally going to get most folks telling you to go with RCI. If you post it on the Princess board they will tell you to go with Princess (this is the "Cheerleader Syndrome") We are Diamond with RCI and have always loved the Radiance Class ships (they are our favorite class). We are Elite with Princess and happen to love their Grand Class ships...especially for their amazing balconies on the Caribe Deck. Platinum on Princess is not going to get you the same level of bennies you get as a Diamond Plus...especially if you take advantage of the Concierge Lounge. On the other hand, if you go on Princess you can bring aboard some wine to enjoy in your cabin, you can bring aboard all the water and soda you please, your wine prices (in the dining room) are going to be somewhat less expensive for comparable wines, you will have MUTS, and arguably we think the food on Princess is somewhat better than on RCI since RCI made so many budget reductions (we have seen some similar signs on Princess). Given that you are traveling with young adults we think they would probably find more to like on the larger Princess ships then on the Radiance Class ships.

Hank

thanks Hank

Archived