How much do you tip porters?

hihosilvers

From Carnival FAQ

Cruise Terminal -

You will then follow the signs to the terminal and continue on to the Baggage Drop-off area to hand your luggage to a porter. The porters will ensure your luggage is taken on board so that shipboard staff may deliver it to your stateroom. The customary tip for porter service is $1.00 per bag.

Are we talking about the guy who moves your luggage from the cab all of 15 yards to a bin or the guy who helps you get your luggage at disembarcation and rolls it to the taxi cab area for you? I will tip more for the latter and less for the former.

We usually tip a buck per bag and figure it is more than the service is worth.

If we could I would roll my bag about 20 ft more and than pick it up and put it in the cage and save myself the few dollars.

This IMHO is one of the worlds biggest ripoffs.

I see people tipping to put their stuff on a rack and wonder why? Some actually think their luggage won't make it onto the ship if they don't.

That's me.

It is an irrational thing, but I have had a bag lost by an airline once I curb checked, undertipped (I did not have many singles) and that absolutely ruined a vacation for me. So I guess in my mind the extra $2 or $3 is buying ME piece of mind, not insurance for bag delivery - LOL

I usually tip about $1 per bag, but if it's a larger party or group I'll just round it up to $10 or $20, depending on the number of bags we have.

Courtesy is also a big factor as well for me, since in a lot of ways the Porter can set the tone for things to follow as he's the first "representative" of the vacation I usually meet. If they're very polite and helpful (and smile, of course) then I'll usually tip a little bit extra.

One of the disadvantages of driving to the pier is that you tend to overpack...:D

My husband and I always have 2 large regular suitcases and 2 garment bags.

The porters take it out of the car at the drop-off area and move it from there to where it has to go.

Hubby has always given $10.00 for this service, so I guess we tip $2.50 a bag.

We usually tip a buck per bag and figure it is more than the service is worth.

If we could I would roll my bag about 20 ft more and than pick it up and put it in the cage and save myself the few dollars.

This IMHO is one of the worlds biggest ripoffs.

IMHO, I agree with you!!:D

Since we live in Fl., 99% of our cruises are drive to. The off loading areas for personal cars is never in the most convenient spot. So I stop, pop the trunk and step out and pull the money clip out of my pocket. In less than 10 seconds a porter is heading my way. Is it the money clip in hand??? Naaaww. But he arrives and I stand there while he takes the bags out of the trunk and loads them on his cart. I tip him $2.00 per bag. But if we only have 4 bags [1 for me, 3 for Barb] I hand him a $10. And say "Thanx!"

I am just curious about the level of resentment about how much money the porters make? They do not handle a ship every day and I am sure their hourly wages are not that high.

Here at Port Canaveral there are three days of shipping activity, possibly four - Sat and Sun and then a mid-week to accommodate the 3 day/4day Sensation cruises. Certainly not a 40 hour week worth of work. I tip and do it gladly not resentfully and I have never felt obligated to do it other then my own personal biases. If they can make 6 figures as a porter because of tips, I say more power to them and get me a job application.

My parents always drop us off at the port. They pull up to the building and as we are getting out there is always a porter heading over to us. The porter takes them right out of the back of the SUV and onto his cart. DH gives him $5 for our 2 bags. We've had good luck with friendly porters also!

I am just curious about the level of resentment about how much money the porters make? They do not handle a ship every day and I am sure their hourly wages are not that high.

Here at Port Canaveral there are three days of shipping activity, possibly four - Sat and Sun and then a mid-week to accommodate the 3 day/4day Sensation cruises. Certainly not a 40 hour week worth of work. I tip and do it gladly not resentfully and I have never felt obligated to do it other then my own personal biases. If they can make 6 figures as a porter because of tips, I say more power to them and get me a job application.

No one cares how much the porters make. The tip complainers are just complaining about any penny that anyone tries to squeeze out of them. I'd Guess, only a guess, that 95% of the time the porter tip complainers are also the auto-tip complainers.

Archived