Stayed at Hilton Garden Hotel on Staten Island

flowers44

But only one in Staten Island.

Correct, if the address has Staten Island as the city and zip starts with 103 that's the one. Staten Island does not use towns in postal addresses (unlike Queens). Only Hilton of whatever type on Staten Island too.

Strongly recomend this hotel for New Jersey departures cruise or Newark Airport.

If anyone is going out of Bayonne, NJ, on a RCI ship, I would recommend an overnight stay at the Hilton Garden Hotel on Staten Island. The grounds are wonderful and the Hotel was very comfortable. I booked it online and with the early reservation, I was able to get a special package for the room and a hot cooked to order breakfast the morning of departure for $169. We had dinner the night before in Lorenzo's and met the owner and his little dog, the namesake of the restaurant. The Hotel Shuttle took us over to the pier the morning of departure and picked us up at the end of the cruise. It was a great value. Parking at the pier would run about $171 for the 9 day cruise. I would much rather have a nice hotel room, a good breakfast and a ride to the pier for the same amount of money. Traffic in the area can be so bad that I would not want to chance missing the ship because of a traffic jam.

I was researching Staten Island University Hospital and they had a link for places to stay and see in Staten Island. They recommended this hotel...I got so excited.....thinking I was the first to find this hotel.:o I was about to post the information and see if anyone stayed there........and found your post. So glad to hear it's a nice place.

Flowers44, how did the parking work?

Did they give you a tag that you left on the vehicle? Or did they tag the vehicle themselves?

We're booking a room for 4 people so they said we could park 2 vehicles. However, one vehicle is not arriving until the morning of the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
Note that they also have a complimentary shuttle from the Newark airport and a complimentary shuttle to the Staten Island Ferry (which is a free ferry into NYC).

Does anyone have any ideas for things to do near the ferry terminal in NYC if a first timer to NYC were to take the free ferry over there? IS there anything within walking distance and/or is it an area where I would want to attempt to walk around?

The Staten Island Ferry comes in at South Ferry at the lower tip of Manhattan. Battery Park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_Park) is right there where the boats leave for the Statue of Liberty. A few blocks north is Wall St. and the World Trade Center site. To the east is South Street Seaport. This whole area is the NY Financial District and it is just fine to walk around.

Talk to the hotel about getting back to the hotel. You can arrange for the shuttle to take you to the Staten Island Ferry terminal, but folks have reported problems getting back. The shuttle also goes to Newark airport and is not really at your beck and call. You may have to wait a while for return transportation if the shuttle is busy elsewhere.

Does anyone have any ideas for things to do near the ferry terminal in NYC if a first timer to NYC were to take the free ferry over there? IS there anything within walking distance and/or is it an area where I would want to attempt to walk around?

138 gave you great advice. I just wanted to add that if you go to Hopstop.com and then put in Staten Island Ferry terminal Manhattan, and then your destination, i.e. South Street Seaport, they will give you the exact walking directions plus a map. Print these out and take them with you. Also if you have a smart phone, download Google Earth, and Google Maps, and this will help you also.

If you are walking to Wall St, you can visit the NYC Police Museum:

http://www.nycpm.org/visit/directions/index.html

I live in Staten Island and our college uses the Hilton. Please also be aware, the Hampton Inn is also on the same property (although the restaurant is in Hilton but just across the parking lot) and owned by the same person Nicholas Nicotra. Both are clean and both would have their own website (Hilton and Hampton). The Hampton Inn would probably be a little cheaper but you would still get the shuttle service.

Happy Planning.

hi walleyes! my bf actually lives right down road from this hotel! it's very nice. to answer your question, there are a ton of things to do if you take the ferry to the manhattan side. i actually work across the street and can see it from my office window. when you get off the ferry, you can walk around in battery park (the park is pretty big and you can walk it and see the sights), the ferry to ellis island/statute of liberty/governor's island are all right there across the street from the ferry, there's a FREE shuttle that runs on water street to city hall called the connection (you can get it right when you come out of the ferry, it's on one of the corners so look for the signs that's on top of the bus stops), south street seaport is really close by like maybe a 10 minute walk, WTC/Century 21 is about a 15 min walk, there's a Daffy's/Borders/Fridays, lots of restaurants, City Hall is about a 15 min walk, chinatown is about a 20 min walk or you can take the M15/M103 bus, SoHo (shopping area) is a quick 10 min subway ride (subway is right there when you get off the ferry). on a nice day i usually walk from the south ferry to chinatown and/or soho (soho would be around a 30 min walk). the walk isn't as bad as it seems. most people that live in nyc usually walk everywhere, whether it's 5 minutes or more, so don't get scared!

there's a ton more. if you can be more specific as to what you want to do, i can try to steer you in the right direction :)

If anyone is going out of Bayonne, NJ, on a RCI ship, I would recommend an overnight stay at the Hilton Garden Hotel on Staten Island. The grounds are wonderful and the Hotel was very comfortable. I booked it online and with the early reservation, I was able to get a special package for the room and a hot cooked to order breakfast the morning of departure for $169. We had dinner the night before in Lorenzo's and met the owner and his little dog, the namesake of the restaurant. The Hotel Shuttle took us over to the pier the morning of departure and picked us up at the end of the cruise. It was a great value. Parking at the pier would run about $171 for the 9 day cruise. I would much rather have a nice hotel room, a good breakfast and a ride to the pier for the same amount of money. Traffic in the area can be so bad that I would not want to chance missing the ship because of a traffic jam.

Flowers: Does the Hilton Garden charge extra for parking (12 days) and also is there a fee for the shuttle service? Thank you !

parrotplay - the reason we recommend Hilton Gardens and the Hampton Inn is that they offer free parking and a free shuttle to the port. They are are only hotels in the area that do this.

From what we can figure out they offer these extras as an incentive to get more hotel business. The hotels are located in a lovely large corporate park on Staten Island. They are actually close to Newark Airport, but not really convenient to the airport like the "airport" hotels. They are also not convenient to Manhattan. The hotels share a shuttle bus so they can transport folks to and from the airport. Additionally, they offer transportation to the Staten Island Ferry and the port in Bayonne. They have lots of parking, so offering "free" parking for the duration of a cruise is not a problem. The airport hotels must be strict about their parking because they are near Newark, they have reasonable access to NYC, and folks would just dump their cars in order to fly or cruise or go into NYC.

• 1 month later...

This is the first report of bedbugs for this hotel on CC - the date was from Nov 2009. Don't know what to tell you - bed bugs have become a big problem in NYC hotels as well as elsewhere. From other postings we do know that the same family runs both the Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden and they take a strong personal interest in running these two hotels and addressing issues that come up.

There was a follow-up post in the same site saying they had no issue with bb, so it may have been an isolated thing. I'm not disinclined to avoid the hotel. Everything else looks too good. Was just wondering if anyone had a negative report. Thanks for replying.

Archived