Want to change cabin...but purchased when it was on sale.

cmcsharon

I used a PVP for the first time when I purchased our latest cruise. He recommended a cabin that was near others in our party that we're cruising with. Now, that I've done some research, I've found the cabin he recommended for us is a handicap room, which we don't need. I don't want to take this room from others that may need it so I'd like to change cabins. The problem is, it was on sale when I first purchased it and now that same category is $150 more per person.

Would I be charged the higher price to move now?

If you move sideways within the category, you should have no problem. If someone gives you a problem, hang up and call back. Iv never had a problem.

Its only if you are changing categorys that the price you paid matters. (or if you booked a gty, and didnt choose the cabin, then they also dont let you change)

I think it might easier to hold onto your current room, you might get lucky and end up keeping the cabin if they are no handicap people that need that cabin. Worse to worse, i think if carnival does need that cabin then you will be automaticly moved or upgraded

I think it might easier to hold onto your current room, you might get lucky and end up keeping the cabin if they are no handicap people that need that cabin. Worse to worse, i think if carnival does need that cabin then you will be automaticly moved or upgraded

More than likely the HC person would be told they are booked up. Its rare they will actually move someone .. but it happens and the OP could be moved to a less desirable location without their consent.

I've found the cabin he recommended for us is a handicap room, which we don't need. I don't want to take this room from others that may need it so I'd like to change cabins.

I would not feel that way if I were you.

We just got off a cruise and had a handicap room, and are not handicapped. They have more of those rooms than they need, just like there are always more handicap parking spaces available than people will need.

So, when there are not enough handicapped people to fill the cabins, the cruise line very much wants you in them. They have to sail full, and cannot tolerate sailing with empty cabins, so the handicapped cabins will be filled with able-bodied people much of the time.

When we booked, we were notified that they did not have any record of a disability, and that they would take our cabin and assign it to a person who needed it, if necessary. In that case we would get another cabin in the same category, that they would pick.

So, in a way it is like a Guarantee booking. You may end up with a cabin that you did not get to pick.

The disabled people absolutely will be accomodated, no need to worry about taking something they need. If the cruise line needs to take your cabin they will. You won't have a say in the matter. If you don't care about being reassigned then I would just stay put. However if you want to ensure you get to pick your cabin, then I think you are making the right move.

FYI, we LOVED the extra room in the bathroom on our cruise (it was NCL's POA in Hawaii.)

It's important to note that this is not an attack on able body people booking HC cabins, rather just an attempt to shed light on the reality of what cruise lines say will be done and than not do it. Would also like to thank those of you who may have actually given up an HC cabin to a disabled person to have.

I would not feel that way if I were you.

We just got off a cruise and had a handicap room, and are not handicapped. They have more of those rooms than they need, just like there are always more handicap parking spaces available than people will need. Actually not true. Sometimes it just happens that a specific cruise has some vacancies. Most of us who need HC cabins actually have to book up to a year in advance because there are less than 1% of all cabins on a cruise ships that are HC. Average cabins on a ship 1200 Average HC cabins 11, Average able body cabins 1189, so in the scope of things there are very few HC cabins.

So, when there are not enough handicapped people to fill the cabins, the cruise line very much wants you in them. They have to sail full, and cannot tolerate sailing with empty cabins, so the handicapped cabins will be filled with able-bodied people much of the time. This is correct . Unsold HC cabins are generally release for sale after the final payment period.

When we booked, we were notified that they did not have any record of a disability, and that they would take our cabin and assign it to a person who needed it, if necessary. In that case we would get another cabin in the same category, that they would pick. The cruise line says this will be done but in actuallity they generally never do.

So, in a way it is like a Guarantee booking. You may end up with a cabin that you did not get to pick.

The disabled people absolutely will be accomodated, Not necessarily true. As perviously stated the Cruise Line generally will not move someone out of a HC cabin if already booked regardless of the circustances and regardless what the cruise line told you. In fact the passengers who booked the cabin can and do refuse to move even if there's a disable passenger that needs it. no need to worry about taking something they need. If the cruise line needs to take your cabin they will. This is what most able body people believe but not generally true. You won't have a say in the matter. Not always true most times you will be asked first if you will move. And yes people refuse particularly if final payment has been made. you don't care about being reassigned then I would just stay put. However if you want to ensure you get to pick your cabin, then I think you are making the right move.

FYI, we LOVED the extra room in the bathroom on our cruise (it was NCL's POA in Hawaii.)

BTW - I am disabled and speaking from experience.

We had a handicap cabin on the Fantasy. Booked 3 weeks out and there were not many cabins left, told we could get moved. Yes the bathroom had more room but the toilet was raised and it was "uncomfortable" using it. I was told it was only a modified handicap cabin but that was not true. It had an automatic door that closed very slowly and we had to use the old hard plastic key, so had to carry the key and our sail & sign card. I would never sail in a handicap cabin again.

OP I would call and get it changed before they move you somewhere you don't want to be.

Archived