luggage tags

flimflubin

I also dislike the print-your-own tags and having to tape them up myself. It doesn't seem as secure as the pre-printed ones. I know all the lines are trying it now, but it looks awfully cheap to not send them out anymore IMHO. If you forget your tags or have issues with them, there is also the option of getting the old style tags at the pier from the porters.

You'd have a problem with that if your luggage goes straght to the ship which it sometimes does with Princess.

Thats not the case here in the US. There are no charters, you are required to retrieve your bags at the baggage claim regardless of whether you have a transfer or not. ;)

I print the tags, cover them in packaging tape on both sides. A stapler at the hotel works every time for us as we are waiting for the shuttle to the port at 10:30AM. They show very fast after we arrive at our room. When we have been carry on with an airline that charges for luggage, then we carry the bags up to our room to unpack & then go to lunch at the MDR.

Almost all the cruise lines expect you to print out your own now, not just Princess.

You shouldn't put your luggage tags on until you reach your destination airport and find your bags. THEN put them on. This is what is suggested by the cruise lines themselves. Some don't agree and put them on ahead of time, letting everyone in the airport (baggage handlers, airline reps., truck drivers, other people hanging around the airport) know they're going on vacation.

You can just put a rubber band or a piece of elastic at the top instead of using a stapler. Either use a hole punch at the top of the tag after you have covered the tag with packing tape. Slide the rubber band through the hole, then back through the rubber band. Do the same to secure to the luggage handle.

You can also just tape the rubber band to the top using the masking tape if you don't want to punch a hole in it. Then secure it to the luggage handle same as above once you are at the port.

• 3 weeks later...
I print mine out, cut and fold as instructed and then take them to Office Max or Staples and have them laminated. I then punch a hole in each at end where it says "staple here".

I don't put them on our luggage until after our flight arrival and then attach them with a zip tie. This has worked perfectly for every cruise we've taken.;)

Could not believe it when we called for the luggage tags. We are doing the same thing as you, but I still believe this is a poor effort to save money.

Now that Princess has "cheaped out" by not providing tags, we always put packing tape on them and put them on before we leave home as I don't want to have to carry a stapler and a roll of packing tape in my luggage. We have often found that with the cruise tags on the bags airline check-in agents and luggage handlers give our luggage priority.

I agree --- I think this is a TERRIBLE cost savings method. :mad: It causes the passenger a lot of extra work and just wait until those paper tags begin falling off and luggage is lost...

I 2nd this suggestion. I have never put the ships luggage tags on until we get ready and turn them over to the cruislines.

Totally agree... No one should ever put those cruise tags on until you are giving your luggage to the Porter (and don't forget to tip or you can really kiss your luggage bye-bye).:) We also make sure they do not separate the luggage on different carts...

Wait until Princess starts having major issues with lost luggage... I personally would not want all of the aggravation associated with this. As a big fan of Celebrity (as well), I am glad they are still sending luggage tags.

I agree --- I think this is a TERRIBLE cost savings method. :mad: It causes the passenger a lot of extra work and just wait until those paper tags begin falling off and luggage is lost...

When properly attached, the paper tags do not fall off. In fact, I find them harder to remove than the luggage tags which came from Princess in the mail (and which I still prefer).

However, if you have an inkjet printer, an arts and crafts project is required so that the print does not disappear in the rain.

Totally agree... No one should ever put those cruise tags on until you are giving your luggage to the Porter (and don't forget to tip or you can really kiss your luggage bye-bye). ...

Absolute nonsense! I have never tipped the guy who picks up my luggage, (anyway it goes straight on to a conveyor belt) and I have never lost my luggage. Some people are really obsessed with this tipping thing!

Since I work next to a printer I thought it would be easy to just print the luggage tags, have them laminated, punch a couple of holes and fasten with a couple of cable ties. My "arts & crafts" project was complete well ahead of time and standing-by ready to be attached to the luggage when we got to the dock. (Keep in mind - this is at least a month before the cruise.)

The only problem occurred when I did a last minute check on the Personalizer before leaving for the airport for Rome, to find out that our room assignment had been changed!

It turned out to be a great upgrade (so I was happy to not get to use my hurricane proof luggage tag!):D

I also cruise on HAL and yesterday, I got my Mariner magazine. Shrink-wrapped with the magazine were four luggage tag holders designed specifically for the printed tags. I'll try to take a photo of them later and post them. They can be used as luggage tags for any travel. Brilliant! Princess, are you listening?

I also cruise on HAL and yesterday, I got my Mariner magazine. Shrink-wrapped with the magazine were four luggage tag holders designed specifically for the printed tags. I'll try to take a photo of them later and post them. They can be used as luggage tags for any travel. Brilliant! Princess, are you listening?

Thank you for posting this. I too also cruise on HAL so I will be looking for these luggage tag holders with my Mariner magazine. I appreciate the heads up.

Totally agree... No one should ever put those cruise tags on until you are giving your luggage to the Porter (and don't forget to tip or you can really kiss your luggage bye-bye). ...

Absolute nonsense! I have never tipped the guy who picks up my luggage, (anyway it goes straight on to a conveyor belt) and I have never lost my luggage. Some people are really obsessed with this tipping thing!

I guess tipping varies by the country you live in...very common in the US but maybe not so often in the UK? I don't tip to ensure the delivery of my bags but as a 'thanks' to the porter for taking our heavy bags. If I recall correctly, in Southampton it's just a conveyor belt like at an airline ticket counter which I don't tip either.

But most times the porters have to lift heavy bags to put it on a cart to take to the ship. That's when I tip because after spending thousands on a cruise giving a couple of dollars is not going to break the bank.

Tipping is a personal decision & what works for me may not work for others. But being obsessed with tipping? No! Just a way to thank someone for helping me.

In Southampton, our luggage was collected by a porter from where our van dropped us off. Yes, we tipped. He was lifting large and heavy bags. My bag was in my cabin less than an hour later. :)

Unlike others, my attitude is not "They're just doing their job so they don't deserve a penny more." Some do so with a smile and you have confidence that your luggage will arrive intact. I like that feeling.

I guess tipping varies by the country you live in...very common in the US but maybe not so often in the UK? I don't tip to ensure the delivery of my bags but as a 'thanks' to the porter for taking our heavy bags. If I recall correctly, in Southampton it's just a conveyor belt like at an airline ticket counter which I don't tip either.

But most times the porters have to lift heavy bags to put it on a cart to take to the ship. That's when I tip because after spending thousands on a cruise giving a couple of dollars is not going to break the bank.

Tipping is a personal decision & what works for me may not work for others. But being obsessed with tipping? No! Just a way to thank someone for helping me.

Astro Flyer - I agree with you totally. Many Canadians have the same issues. I know many Canadians come down to S. FL and on several occasions have walked out of a restaurant without tipping. The waiter/waitress ran after them in the parking lot. Many say they were "unaware" of the tipping policy -- When we travel - we find out the tipping policies ahead of time - in many European countries they include tips in the price of the meal and if the service is very good/excellent you give a small extra sum...

As for the porters and baggage --Hansi - I do not suggest he leave from Port Everglades without tipping those guys or you will be in the same clothes for 7 beautiful days/nights.:p

Bon Voyage....

Not so Neilrr. I have in fact cruised from Port Everglades many times and will be doing so again shortly, but the fact is that because we are from the UK and have overnighted in Miami the previous night, our luggage comes with us to the the ship and is loaded en bloc. So even if I wanted to tip, I wouldn't know who had handled my luggage anyway as it's taken directly from the luggage cart on to the ship.

Not so Neilrr. I have in fact cruised from Port Everglades many times and will be doing so again shortly, but the fact is that because we are from the UK and have overnighted in Miami the previous night, our luggage comes with us to the the ship and is loaded en bloc. So even if I wanted to tip, I wouldn't know who had handled my luggage anyway as it's taken directly from the luggage cart on to the ship.
Hansi is correct if you are taking a Princess transfer or Princess has made the arrangements to the ship. It doesn't matter which port. Your luggage will be loaded on a trolley and wisked off before you are allowed off the bus or van. No one to tip. Something to consider when comparing the cost of a Princess transfer vs cab or shuttle.

Much ado about nothing. For my last couple of cruises I did not print luggage tags. The porters at the ship have blanks and you can fill them out as they load your bags on to the cart. Of course I always tip the porters for that service.

If i print mine out on paper that I am going staple..I use card stock paper which is a lot heavier and it holds up very well. I've put these on bags when they have traveled from Illinois to Florida on a motorcoach and no problems at all with them.

My second method is buying the laminating pouches, which are a selfseal luggage tag and strap at staples and inserting the paper tag in them. They are clear and I get 5 of them for $5. This method I did when we flew from Chicago to Fairbanks...tags were put on before we left home.

I just got back with a group from Alaska and i made the selfsealing tags for all 24 and they help up great!!

I don't mind printing my own tags...I like having control over when i get them and how many i can make!!

Archived