luggage tags

flimflubin

I laminate mine; easier than using packing tape IMO. When do they have time to read the bar code anyway? They pile up the luggage to put it on the ship, pile it up on the hand trucks and then sit by your door. I don't think they even scan the bar code...didn't even know they had a bar code!

First I was really surprised when I called looking for my tags and were told to print my own out. The price we're paying you'd think they would be included.

My suggestion is to also make a copy and put it inside your luggage in case it is torn off during transit.

25 more days until we sail trans-atlantic on the Ruby.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I'm on the same cruise. Come on over to the roll call thread -- it's a large and active group, and you can get to know some of your cruisemates before sailing. Here's the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=967923

Caro

For me we just put them out at the dock. I'd not put them on and put it thru the airline system etc.

Enjoy!

I noticed a lot of people putting packing tape on the luggage tags. Do you cover the barcode? I did on mine with creases noted on the barcode. Is this ok?

18 more days!!!!!

Thanks.

First I was really surprised when I called looking for my tags and were told to print my own out. The price we're paying you'd think they would be included.

My suggestion is to also make a copy and put it inside your luggage in case it is torn off during transit.

Almost all the cruise lines expect you to print out your own now, not just Princess.

You shouldn't put your luggage tags on until you reach your destination airport and find your bags. THEN put them on. This is what is suggested by the cruise lines themselves. Some don't agree and put them on ahead of time, letting everyone in the airport (baggage handlers, airline reps., truck drivers, other people hanging around the airport) know they're going on vacation.

Almost all the cruise lines expect you to print out your own now, not just Princess.

You shouldn't put your luggage tags on until you reach your destination airport and find your bags. THEN put them on. This is what is suggested by the cruise lines themselves. Some don't agree and put them on ahead of time, letting everyone in the airport (baggage handlers, airline reps., truck drivers, other people hanging around the airport) know they're going on vacation.

Well, if you're going through an airport with luggage, won't they kind of leap to that conclusion anyway?! That said, since the new tags do have a bar code on them, I wouldn't put them on until I arrived at my destination airport as it could cause confusion with the barcodes on the airline's luggage tags, causing one's bags to end up in Timbuktu.

We just did a cruise of Iceland and Norway in July. I printed the tags and inserted them into platic id sleeves that I bought at an Office supply store. I think there were 10 in a pkg. I then inserted velcro strips that I also puchased at the Office Supply store and probably 10 in a pkg. I inserted the velcro into the slot at top of plastic id holder wound around luggage handle and then slipped through the slot again. This was so secure that It was a little tough gettting off. It was superb, and resusable for many future trips, just remove the luggae tag and keep th holder and velcro. I put these on before leaving California and flying to Denver and then Heathrow. 2 days in London and then to Southampton and the ship. Perfect and tough and resuable.

I just followed the instructions & stapled. I did not have a problem.

Ditto for me; just did the tri-fold and stapled. I was very skeptical prior to printing the tags, but they are surprisingly durable. There are many threads on this which include a variety of arts and crafts projects, but they are really unnecessary in my expereience.

I print mine out, cut and fold as instructed and then take them to Office Max or Staples and have them laminated. I then punch a hole in each at end where it says "staple here".

I don't put them on our luggage until after our flight arrival and then attach them with a zip tie. This has worked perfectly for every cruise we've taken.;)

For me we just put them out at the dock. I'd not put them on and put it thru the airline system etc.

Enjoy!

You'd have a problem with that if your luggage goes straght to the ship which it sometimes does with Princess.

Now that Princess has "cheaped out" by not providing tags, we always put packing tape on them and put them on before we leave home as I don't want to have to carry a stapler and a roll of packing tape in my luggage. We have often found that with the cruise tags on the bags airline check-in agents and luggage handlers give our luggage priority.

Princess says to not put them on for your flight probably to prevent them from tearing off & possibly confusing the automated UPC code reading airport luggage system. We bring a mini-staple & put a lot of them in the tags & they've made it to our cabin.

I'm fine with printing out my own luggage tags. I have control over how many I print and can print them when I want to. After having a package from HAL delayed by Xmas mail a couple of years ago when I had a pre-cruise booked and didn't have vouchers or even flight info much less luggage tags until two days before leaving, I MUCH prefer having online access to tags, vouchers and flight info rather than wait for the cruiseline to send it snail mail just before leaving.

We use the clear-packing-tape/hole-punch/zip-tie/attach-just-before-handing-them-in-at-the-pier routine. Works great. I like being in control of making sure we have them in time, having enough, etc. It was even worth the agitta when our printer went to printer heaven two weeks before our upcoming cruise and forced me to run and replace it quickly.

I doubt that the bar codes would confuse the airlines' system. If the cruise lines don't use the same coding method as the airlines (and why not? I'm sure there is standardization across the airline industry, and it makes sense for cruise lines, railroads, and the like, to be part of that system) then when the code was read at an airport it would give an error indication (BEEP!!) and thus not be routed indiscriminately.

Archived