luggage tags

flimflubin

We are flying to LA and spending the night in a hotel before the Hawaii cruise. I don't want to attach the labels required for the ship before I leave home (for various reasons) but I also don't want to have to think about packing a stapler to take with me!!

Will there be some way for me to get the labels stapled at the hotel? Will the staff lend me a stapler or will I be able to get one from the Princess rep? As the hotel is included in the package, there should be a Princess rep there the next day to sort out the Brits who have arrived for the cruise and I assume it will be the same system as I have experienced before regarding transfers and reps being available.

Any advice from fellow cruisers who has experienced this is appreciated. Thanks.

I always travel with a few zip ties...they come in handy for all sorts of things, weigh nothing, and take up no space. If you punch a hole in your luggage tags before leaving home, they work great. For those who don't know what I'm talking about: http://www.9thtee.com/zipties.htm

Now, would I go buy them just for travel? Probably not, but they're so handy for other things around the house...

However, the hotel's front desk will have a stapler, as will the luggage handlers at the port.

Not so Neilrr. I have in fact cruised from Port Everglades many times and will be doing so again shortly, but the fact is that because we are from the UK and have overnighted in Miami the previous night, our luggage comes with us to the the ship and is loaded en bloc. So even if I wanted to tip, I wouldn't know who had handled my luggage anyway as it's taken directly from the luggage cart on to the ship.

hansi - In your case -- I can understand that tipping would not be required. Since I drive 30 minutes to Port Everglades and have my luggage in the car, I always tip the person that takes us from the parking area (takes the luggage right out of the trunk) and tip the porters as well...

I do feel that based on the response to these luggage tag changes it has caused a lot of unneccessary aggravation -- printing, laminating, stapling -- Princess --just send the darn tags as in the past... Whose bright idea was this to save money?:rolleyes:

To do the tags at the Port is crazy -- filling out 6-7 tags when there are a huge number of people and the Porters waiting on you; looking for pens etc...

Wait until the season starts in the Caribbean this year -- Princess will get a lot of flack about it...

Princess says to not put them on for your flight probably to prevent them from tearing off & possibly confusing the automated UPC code reading airport luggage system. We bring a mini-staple & put a lot of them in the tags & they've made it to our cabin.

Not So. This is what is printed on the luggage tag itself:

"Place a luggage tag on each piece of luggage before leaving home"

Wait until the season starts in the Caribbean this year -- Princess will get a lot of flack about it...
Since Princess started with the printed tags almost a year ago, I don't think there will be any more of a problem this year than last. The Caribbean season isn't any busier than Alaska, the Med, etc. and other than a few complaints on CC, I think it's probably working out well for Princess. I like being able to control how many tags I have, and the fact that they are all filled out compensates for printing them out, folding and stapling or securing them.

I fly to Florida so tape is the way I go. Once we get our bags we tape the luggage tags at the spot where it says staple here. Works fine for the short drive to the pier. And the tape is good to tape a tag on the case of water we buy en route to the pier.

Ter

Not So. This is what is printed on the luggage tag itself:

"Place a luggage tag on each piece of luggage before leaving home"

I realize that each Princess CSR isn't an expert however it "is so" that one told me not to put them on before a flight. They didn't explain why not to do this & we can each speculate why that's so. Maybe when they designed the tags the statement you refer to was the plan. Maybe their experiences indicate it can be a problem but they are not changing it on their luggage tag system.

In the couple of weeks of sharing experiences & learning some new things, I'm also "learning" there are some posters who enjoy contradicting others way too much. It's like their experiences are the only way things are done. Some of us have other experiences & shouldn't be scolded like school children by saying things like "not so". Well it is so that a Princess CSR said to not put them on before a flight. You read something, I was told something else & others can decide which way they prefer to attach luggage tags.

Each of us have different experiences we take the time to share with others & to learn from them. *LIGHTEN UP! *Try accepting others experiences that are different from your own.

I realize that each Princess CSR isn't an expert however it "is so" that one told me not to put them on before a flight. They didn't explain why not to do this & we can each speculate why that's so. Maybe when they designed the tags the statement you refer to was the plan. Maybe their experiences indicate it can be a problem but they are not changing it on their luggage tag system.

In the couple of weeks of sharing experiences & learning some new things, I'm also "learning" there are some posters who enjoy contradicting others way too much. It's like their experiences are the only way things are done. Some of us have other experiences & shouldn't be scolded like school children by saying things like "not so". Well it is so that a Princess CSR said to not put them on before a flight. You read something, I was told something else & others can decide which way they prefer to attach luggage tags.

Each of us have different experiences we take the time to share with others & to learn from them. *LIGHTEN UP! *Try accepting others experiences that are different from your own.

AstroFlyer - Amen.... You said it all... It is everyone's choice, but there could be major mix-ups with airline baggage tags and cruise line tags. Anyone go through Miami Int'l lately??? -- we are still looking for a Men's $80 yellow Tommy Bahama bathing suit...:p

We also have never put on cruise line tags on cruises that involve flights -- we always wait until we get to the port of departure to tag and wait until we see all of those bags on one cart all together... And then we still hope and pray for the best...

Bon Voyage...:)

This IS important. There are a lot of people who fly Princess Air and don't see their bags from airport check-in until they get to the cabin door. If they don't tag them before departure, they won't get another chance.

Following the advice of that CSR instead of the printed instructions on the tag could lose someone's bags and ruin their cruise.

This IS important. There are a lot of people who fly Princess Air and don't see their bags from airport check-in until they get to the cabin door. If they don't tag them before departure, they won't get another chance.

Following the advice of that CSR instead of the printed instructions on the tag could lose someone's bags and ruin their cruise.

No question at all that in the situation where the last time you see your bags is at airport before they're brought to your cabin...thanks for that input.

We haven't experienced that in decades so I wasn't aware that was still an option...nice to know.

For others not in this situation they can decide what is best for them...prior to airport check-in or before going to the pier.

There are a couple of reasons that one may consider putting the Princess luggage tags on before a flight. If your luggage doesn't arrive at your destination with you, having the Princess tags on the bags will help insure that your luggage will get to the ship and not make a round trip back to your home. Also, I have read that if a flight is overloaded, some bags may be removed and sent on a later flight. However, if the cruise luggage tags are on the bags, they will not remove that luggage from the flight. These are just a couple of things to consider.

First I was really surprised when I called looking for my tags and were told to print my own out. The price we're paying you'd think they would be included.

My suggestion is to also make a copy and put it inside your luggage in case it is torn off during transit.

25 more days until we sail trans-atlantic on the Ruby.

I also find it amazing that you have to print out your own luggage labels!! What happens if you don't have a printer? Kimberley

Just returned from a cruise and used the new luggage tags. I made do with something I found to make them more sturdy' date='but when I came home, after doing some research I found this online;

http://www.*****.com/luggage-tags/cruise-luggage-tag-holder.html[/quote']

Heh. Small world. I was sent a link to that site a few days ago. I looked at them with the intention of going back and placing an order later that day. But just plain old forgot until now.

I just ordered 8 of them. I figure I might need a few extra in the future for my daughters or whoever.

FYI for other Canadians: it looks like they gave me free shipping. The site said I'd have to wait for a finalized invoice so they can calculate the shipping charge to Canada. I got what appears to be a final invoice about an hour after placing the order and they didn't charge me shipping. But they're on the Pacific coast, and I placed the order about 5:30am their time. So perhaps when somebody shows up in the office they might notice the error.

I also find it amazing that you have to print out your own luggage labels!! What happens if you don't have a printer? Kimberley

You can get tags at the pier.... Some people do not put them on till they get to the dock anyway..... :)

OK ... so I'm a computer nerd. I LIKE the printed labels! Has my name and all the information on there clearly. I'm crummy with a Sharpie, but excellent with typing on a computer. I also like that they put your Captain Circle status on them.

So here's one vote FOR the luggage tags. Not only am I printing mine for our next cruise, but taking care of my sisters and my mom.

Just returned from a cruise and used the new luggage tags. I made do with something I found to make them more sturdy' date='but when I came home, after doing some research I found this online;

http://www.*****.com/luggage-tags/cruise-luggage-tag-holder.html[/quote']

As I already have a laminator, I laminate mine, I can fit 3 into a large pouch, at a cost of $0.24 per poch.

Enjoy cruising and don,t complain about things yu can't do anything about.

Cato

Do the porters have staplers at the pier?? I don't want to travel with a stapler and will be arriving the day the cruise departs so cannot use the stapler at a hotel.
Punch a hole in them and use a garbage bag twist-tie (or two) to secure. :) Simple and cheap to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sasha'smom viewpost.gif

Just returned from a cruise and used the new luggage tags. I made do with something I found to make them more sturdy,but when I came home, after doing some research I found this online;

http://www.*****.com/l...ag-holder.html

Heh. Small world. I was sent a link to that site a few days ago. I looked at them with the intention of going back and placing an order later that day. But just plain old forgot until now.

I just ordered 8 of them. I figure I might need a few extra in the future for my daughters or whoever.

FYI for other Canadians: it looks like they gave me free shipping. The site said I'd have to wait for a finalized invoice so they can calculate the shipping charge to Canada. I got what appears to be a final invoice about an hour after placing the order and they didn't charge me shipping. But they're on the Pacific coast, and I placed the order about 5:30am their time. So perhaps when somebody shows up in the office they might notice the error.

I think I read somewhere they contact you when it's an International order. Did you hear from them?

Archived