How important is it to pay final payment by date posted?

hartskys

I don't think this happened on RCL. RCL gives TA's 5 days past final to get payment from client and they don't over book.

It didn't - but I never gave the clients the chance to learn about any other line after that. RCL does overbook ships on occasion, and somebody has to go...

RC sent me an email saying my final payment is due on the 20th but when I log into my account on RC it says the 25th. ??:confused:

Same scenario here. My confirmation said Aug 25, but when I called them about something different they reminded me my payment was due Aug 16.

I did pay 3 days late (of the aug 16 date) with no problems, like you I wanted it on my next credit card statement.

Not sure how this applies but RCI recently changed it's final payment date from 70 days to 75 days out. We originally had an Oct. 1 final payment date for our upcoming Dec. cruise and after they changed the policy....my final payment was changed to Sept. 26 on the website. Not sure if they are grandfathering anyone in that booked prior to the policy change. Probably worth asking about, especially if you have the original documentation to back up your date.

RC sent me an email saying my final payment is due on the 20th but when I log into my account on RC it says the 25th. ??:confused:

Please see the above post.

If you use a CC, you should use a TA that submits your payment by CC directly to the cruise line, not to them. The cruise line should show on your CC statement, not the TA agency. There is one online TA that used to demand full payment at booking to get their "special deals", don't know if they still do since I won't use them.

Oops! After booking several cruises directly with the cruise lines, I used an online TA (just for the OBC after doing all the research myself) and was required to pay 100% up front. Booked around August 20 for December 24 cruise, and paid all on that date. The charge was made directly to RCCL, not the agency. We didn't mind paying in advance, but I am upset that we just believed it was done that way everywhere. I'm not usually naive about financial matters. It sounds like this is the same company; is there anything else I should know?

Oops! After booking several cruises directly with the cruise lines, I used an online TA (just for the OBC after doing all the research myself) and was required to pay 100% up front. Booked around August 20 for December 24 cruise, and paid all on that date. The charge was made directly to RCCL, not the agency. We didn't mind paying in advance, but I am upset that we just believed it was done that way everywhere. I'm not usually naive about financial matters. It sounds like this is the same company; is there anything else I should know?

Nope, It appears the cruise line are moving the paid in full dates out earlier and earlier.

The TA I was referring to wanted 100%, in my case, 8 months out, payable to them. I would not be concerned if the CC charge was directly by the cruise line, and not the TA.

Personally, I wouldn't book a cruise I couldn't pay in full right then. The interest lost on keeping that money in the bank is trivial these days. But if you carry a balance on the CC, the interest charges can be hefty.

I am now careful with these no-name, OBC promising TA's, one cruise, they neglected to give the promised OBC; had to fight for it after the cruise at which time I have no leverage at all.

Hmmm..I find it strange that "no" attempt was made by RCI to contact your friends..Just how many days are we talking about that "went by" :confused:

I don't know exactly how many days went by; they related the story to me some time after the fact, but before their cruise took place.

Stories like this make me so glad I got away from credit cards. I stash cash for mine then shift it to my debit card when I'm ready to pay it off. No worrying about card statements or worse, being in debt for my vacation!

It should be noted that you can have just one person on your reservation to hold the price, then add the second cruiser even after final if you need to juggle finances to make things work out. You just have to pay for the second in full when you add them. That's not much additional compared to your regular single rate either. Adding my GF to my upcoming cruise was a whopping $215 over the single rate.

Nope, It appears the cruise line are moving the paid in full dates out earlier and earlier.

The TA I was referring to wanted 100%, in my case, 8 months out, payable to them. I would not be concerned if the CC charge was directly by the cruise line, and not the TA.

Personally, I wouldn't book a cruise I couldn't pay in full right then. The interest lost on keeping that money in the bank is trivial these days. But if you carry a balance on the CC, the interest charges can be hefty.

I am now careful with these no-name, OBC promising TA's, one cruise, they neglected to give the promised OBC; had to fight for it after the cruise at which time I have no leverage at all.

We never pay a cent of interest, just use CC for the rewards and the advantage of the CC handling any disputed charges. It will be nice to have the Christmas cruise paid for in advance. I won't see the OBC until we are actually on the ship, will I?

Stories like this make me so glad I got away from credit cards. I stash cash for mine then shift it to my debit card when I'm ready to pay it off. No worrying about card statements or worse, being in debt for my vacation!

It should be noted that you can have just one person on your reservation to hold the price, then add the second cruiser even after final if you need to juggle finances to make things work out. You just have to pay for the second in full when you add them. That's not much additional compared to your regular single rate either. Adding my GF to my upcoming cruise was a whopping $215 over the single rate.

The advantage with a CC is even when you pay it off, you can dispute the charge if there is a problem, with a debit card...poof, it's cash, it's gone. The other advantage is I happened to track down a fare reduction. It was easy for the cruise line to credit my CC if I didn't use the OBC, getting cash back would be difficult.

No OBC until you are on the ship.

A related question....if you miss final payment date, and your reservation is cancelled, what happens to your deposit - do you forfeit? or is it refunded to your CC? (or whatever method of payment you used.)

The cruiseline treats it like just like a cancellation - u get your deposit back..:)

If you think about it, cruising is one of the few products/services you pay for in advance, now way in advance. Almost everything else you pay for after the service is rendered or when you take possession of the product. Your electric bill, an automobile, food, gasoline, even your funeral.

I'm suprised someone hasn't taken this on under the commerce act as they keep moving the paid in full date earlier and earlier. There must be some loop hole in there. I have no problem with deposits but requiring the full fare months in advance seems unreasonable.

Sure, I understand why they do it, including airfares, because there are only so many slots. But why isn't a deposit enough? Say 50%, and I'll pay the balance right before boarding. Or better yet, they don't bill my CC until the service is rendered and I'm debarking?

I'm suprised someone hasn't taken this on under the commerce act as they keep moving the paid in full date earlier and earlier. There must be some loop hole in there. I have no problem with deposits but requiring the full fare months in advance seems unreasonable.

If you book any discounted air fare, also for very large amounts, you'll also have to pay in full at the time of booking. Not even with the benefit of a partial deposit and later payment. That's also the case with train travel.

It seems all if not most things transport related where someone else does the driving you pay in advance. Cruising is the only one where you can regularly pay in instalments.

I just got off the phone with RC. They confirmed that my final payment is due on the 25th not the 20th like the email they just sent me. :)

We also use our credit card for the perks (free air miles) and also for the additional coverage we get for travelers insurance if we book our entire vacation on our credit card. We always pay it off so we never have to pay interest. It's like a game sometimes to balance everything out and watching your closing date each month can give you an extra billing period to pay it off especially if you are making a big purchase. We have had our credit card for many years and I believe this would give us leverage if we would happen to run into any problems with something we purchased.

I'm so glad it's the 25th - gives us time to pay off the unexpected furnace/ac we just put in and then an extra 30 days before our final cruise payment is due. :)

Archived