Ways to mark luggage for easier identification?

twoforcruise

I saw a show on TV one time about luggage. According to the host of the show and a very experienced traveller 92% of luggage is blue or black. Her theory was to buy luggage in the wildest colour possible so it would be noticable. Not just to you but the baggage handlers as well. So we did for my wife. Floresent Pink. First trip with it to Europe and sure a shooting one piece went missing on the return trip and we got it 11 days later! So much for that theory. I had custom luggage tags made up that standout and find it easy to spot our stuff now. Our current luggage was very expensive so I don't gum it up with tape and alike. She no longer has the pink stuff.

I was wondering how travels are marking their bags for easy identification off carousels, etc.? I know some people buy colored/pattern luggage, but for those that have plain old black luggage, what are some ways to mark them for easy identification without doing much damage or anything permanent to the bag?

crazy luggage tags. bright colors. funny shapes

Just as a note of caution - if you use anything that dangles (ribbon, shower poufs, etc), it can get caught in a luggage conveyor belt. It could just rip of the dangle, or if fastened really well, it will tear off what ever it's attached to or rip open your luggage. I've seen all of the above happen, including the luggage ripped open.

I've seen people hot-glue unique ribbon as an accent or actually in their initials. We use a brightly colored duct tape on the handles along with a certain color of zip ties. Just be careful in how you choose to mark your luggage so that it's not damaged.

Two Christmases ago the ribbon on my suitcase caught on something and I got my suitcase back with the zipper ripped right out. I don't know how my clothes etc. survived.

Now we use bright tape and neon luggage tags. Nothing loose that can get caught. DH has a black suitcase and we can always spot it.

Just as a note of caution - if you use anything that dangles (ribbon, shower poufs, etc), it can get caught in a luggage conveyor belt. It could just rip of the dangle, or if fastened really well, it will tear off what ever it's attached to or rip open your luggage. I've seen all of the above happen, including the luggage ripped open.

I've seen people hot-glue unique ribbon as an accent or actually in their initials. We use a brightly colored duct tape on the handles along with a certain color of zip ties. Just be careful in how you choose to mark your luggage so that it's not damaged.

My friends luggage was completely DESTROYED along with EVERYTHING inside of it on a business trip to Chicago after a bandana she tied on it got the whole mess caught in some sort of belt on a conveyor. The airline she used was very generous as nothing was slavageable. However, she had to take time out of a business trip to Shop for a whole new wardrobe. I'm sure that does not happen very often. But, if I'm on vacation - I would rather be safe than sorry... I don't imagine the cruise ship has a lot to offer to replace a wardrobe for 7 days.

I can tell our luggage from a distance, even though it is black. But I work part time in a luggage store and identify luggage better than most, even the black stuff.

We do have handle wraps on some of our pieces and I use a strap on my red. It seems I have a harder time finding which red case is mine moreso than the black ones.

Everyone seems to tie ribbon on their cases any more, just make sure if you do you make it interesting.

We also sell colorful luggage tags in the store, some of them are really fun, like "Take my luggage, do my laundry".

OMG I love that tag :)

I tie a bright colored scarf around the top handle and some lugggae has Disneyland name tag holders that are beyond garish, I can see my luggage coming a mile away.

Yes red luggage is so popular.....I fly alot for work and learnt about 5 years ago to leave the red suitcase at home, unless I am driving.

I have purple bandannas tied to the handles. (cut in half and make them small, they do not dangle) They have been there cruise after cruise and we know to look for them. Plus, we tell the porter what to look for too. You can take them off and wash them if you chose and tie them back on. I know a bunch of people that think tieing on BATH BODY PUFFS are absolutly disgusting. I figured i would throw that commentout here because folks that use them dont know that they are the target of many negative conversations and are being made fun of. Its like some older folks that tie them on a car antenna. :cool: Really, they're not that durable! lol

Edited by CruiseDivaNJ

We purchased a couple of straps (light blue) with our family nickname embroidered about 4 times throughout the strap. We also use a bright yellow plain strap to go the opposite way round the case. We have never failed to spot our cases from a distance.

That is interesting to note. I know people come in with their luggage thinking the zipper is broken when all that has happened is the zipper pull has come off. What a lot of people don't know is that zipper pulls are designed to come off with a certain amount of pressure, so your bag doesn't get caught up in the conveyor belt. Some of our better luggage manufacturers provide us with zipper pulls, others give a couple with the piece (I think this is best).

So be careful how you zip your bags. The zipper pulls should be at the top of the bag or at the side, aligned with the handles. Of course, there are no guarantees with machinery and rough human handling, but it gives you a better chance at saving your zipper pulls.

So really think about what you are dangling from your bag, you don't want your clothing/shoes/etc... torn apart on the conveyor belts due to colorful ribbons.

The worst we've ever had happen was a bag with 2 luggage tags and a luggage strap... gone. We waited a long time at the carousel before finally grabbing a bag we thought was ours...it was, since I could open the combination lock on it. The bag was perfectly fine thank goodness.

I'm from the same camp that could not do anything to our luggage to permanently mark it.

Edited by Happy ks
sp

While I'm at it (safety of luggage) it's also important to not lift your bag from the ground with the pull handle. Use the grab handle instead, that is what it is made for. Pull handles are designed to roll the bag, they are not strong enough to withstand the pressure from lifting a 50 lb. suitcase.

There should also be some give or wiggle to the pull handle, otherwise if rigid it would easily bend. When people come into the luggage store and "kick the tires" on luggage we tell them, many people assume it's faulty manufacturing. A stiff pull handle will easily bend or break with very little pressure.

Make sure the pull handle is fully depressed and engaged before checking your bag. Many times I've seen luggage thrown onto the conveyor belt with the pull handle extended. Most luggage repair we see come in is for the pull handle.

Most luggage repair we see come in is for the pull handle.

Not me! I kept getting top handle in front of the pull handle ripped off.

I Frankinstein'd my medium bag handle on from a carry-on that was staying home for our last cruise.

First cruise we got the handle missing from a large bag. The frame was all bent and luggage tags gone too, but the pull handle and wheels still worked.

Not me! I kept getting top handle in front of the pull handle ripped off.

I Frankinstein'd my medium bag handle on from a carry-on that was staying home for our last cruise.

First cruise we got the handle missing from a large bag. The frame was all bent and luggage tags gone too, but the pull handle and wheels still worked.

You have to wonder sometimes what the luggage gorillas are thinking about :rolleyes:

I've seen bent frames before, depending on the bend sometimes a bag cannot be repaired. For those who purchase Victorinox (most of their lines), Briggs and Riley, Eagle Creek you are in luck, they will repair or replace. Most other luggage companies only cover manufacturers defects.

I've seen a brand new Tumi bag ripped apart from being dragged by a forklift (the customer watched it happening from his seat on the plane. I've seen a Victorinox bag almost flattened, which was really weird since they have so much structure, we think that one must have gotten run over by a truck. In both instances, the contents miraculously were not harmed.

The only bags we see with handles ripped off now are the ones that are riveted onto the bag from the outside. Good quality luggage is now riveting from the inside, no more exposed screws or rivets to be pulled off.

• 5 years later...

Wrap your handle with a turks head knot in brightly colored...neon...or even reflective paracord using an easy knot method. Paracord is pretty popular right now but there's tons of color options out there, my personal favorite being the reflective.

Find a tutorial here:

NOTE: the "needle" isn't required, it definitely makes it easier but its not a must have.

18ixwrwhob5gwjpg.jpg.62742a71691bc6c733565c5f75a5e9b8.jpg

Edited by shiznics

I've used an acrylic paint pen in a bright color (yellow, for instance) and made a dashed line all around the suitcase, on all sides. These pens can be found in craft stores. I used a chalk pencil and a yardstick to draw the line beforehand, so it was straight and centered. Straight lines are something even the least artistic can do!

We also have (easy-to-sew!) handle wraps in unique fabrics. These help when scanning the tops of luggage while, for instance, searching for yours in a sea of suitcases after disembarking the ship/before going through customs.

Another important tip is to take a photo of your luggage, and the distinctive details thereof, so you have it as reference for the airline should your suitcase go on walkabout.

Edited by QuilterGirl

We went on a tour of Ireland several years ago & the tour company gave us all bright yellow luggage straps. They are expandable to fit around all sizes of bags On that tour they certainly didn't help distinguish our luggage from others but everywhere else, ever since, they have been awesome. Plus they do triple duty: ID luggage; keep bad secure & give baggage handlers one more place to grab.

I have den several things. Brightly colored luggage tags, handle covers(say not yours), also recently got a luggage cover it crazy bright pattern that should stick out like a sore thumb lol. There are a lot of options now unlike several years ago when I was doing even more traveling

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have a Loqi luggage cover. There is little doubt what luggage is yours with it. I mostly use it when I get off the ship to help find my bag easily in the sea of bags but I have used it at the airport but not always. Not only does it help identify your bag it also protect it.

When I bought my Loqi it only fit a 25" bag. Not sure if that is still the case.

There are a few covers on Amazon too.

Shak

http://www.loqistore.com/collections/luggage-covers

https://www.amazon.com/Designs-Colorful-Painting-Suitcase-Protective/dp/B01126SZSO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467130375&sr=8-1&keywords=loqi+cover

I put our initials in neon duct tape on front & back. & I found a guy trying to walk off with it in San Juan (seeing it from across the building)

We have distinctive luggage tags, but I also write our last name in 1" high block letters on all 4 sides (especially near handles) . I use a black sharpie pen on lighter colors and a silver sharpie on our black bag. That way there is no excuse for " mistaken identity). As for permanently marking my luggage; well it is mine after all.

Last three flights my distinctive luggage tags have been broken off. 1 hard plastic (MedJet Assist tag). 1 metal photo tag. 1 covered leather tag . My personal opinion is luggage handling is getting rougher. Most flights something is wrong/ damage on bag.