Why cruise instead of doing an all-inclusive?

Meishie

For those of you who have experienced both vacations (and I know on these boards we're all cruise lovers) could you tell my either why *not* to go to an all-inclusive or tell me what about cruising makes it a better vacation?

I'm having issues with the quote I got for a balcony in May ($300 more than last year) and I can't deal with paying for an inside room for more than what I've paid for balconies. I can do an all-inclusive for five or six nights for less than the cost of a this May cruise, so it has my wheels turning.

I did an all-inclusive years ago. The first two days were beautiful and the rest of the week it rained and rained - windy too. At least on the cruise you have a chance of getting better weather because you go from port to port. I have a family of varying ages and the Cruise has something for everyone. It is so exciting visiting new places. On our first cruise we enjoyed St. Thomas so much that 2 years later we spent a week there at Christmas. It wasn't all inclusive though. It is a good way to get check out places for us that one day we would go to all-inclusive. Being on the moving ship is just so relaxing too.:D

The upside of an all-inclusive is that there is no nickel and diming. Once you've paid...you're done! No need to worry about that statement shoved under your door on the last night of the cruise.

The upside of a cruise is that you get to go to more places than just one. In case you're not fond of one your stops, you're lucky, tomorrow you'll be somewhere else :D

Well, the BIG difference is being on an ocean! To me, there's nothing like looking 180 degrees and seeing nothing but water water water!

However, I've done several all-inclusive resort vacations (Acapulco, Cancun, Bahamas, Bermuda), and have enjoyed each and every minute. It's just whatever you prefer.

My son cruised for the very first time in December, and although he really enjoyed the experience, he said he'll stick to flying to an island from now on, as he felt too rushed in each port. (I think he secretely wants to be Robinson Cruso reincarnated.):D

I agree with everyone else about the variety of locations on a cruise but I'd like to add the variety of entertainment. There are not many all inclusive resorts that give such a variety of things to do. So, you would need to leave said resort and dip back into your pocket for night clubs, shows, and dancing etc.... Also not many resorts have such an extensive children's program as the cruiselines do. (of course that only matters if you've got kids!)

That's just my thoughts.

Great question.....We've also done both. Spent many trips @ all-inclusives in Cozumel & absolutely love the place we stay. Have been on 3 cruises (trying to book another one April, 2006) & again loved each & every one of them. If you have to choose between the two, it's all very personal as it involves finances, personal likes/dislikes, etc. Both are awesome for their own reasons; we try to do a combination of both. Personally, I love to travel so the different ports/places that I can go to for the price is a good deal for me. I couldn't get to all these islands in one trip for this price (cruise) & Carnival is a good "bang-for-the-buck" cruiseline. It's a great way to see these places & then make plans to go back & stay for a longer time to get to know the island more (all-inclusive, for example). This is what has worked for us....wherever you go, it's what you make it.

We cruise because it's MUCH cheaper for us to do so. If we could do an all inclusive for the same price, we would do it in a heartbeat, and I'd probably try to do a combination of both, as we do enjoy cruising. Bottom line is that since we live in a port city, we can do a one week cruise for 4 for under $2000, whereas an all inclusive would be $2000 just for the airfare to GET to the resort!

Well, the BIG difference is being on an ocean! To me, there's nothing like looking 180 degrees and seeing nothing but water water water!

I think that pretty much sums it up. I'd be an excellent candidate for a cruise to nowhere because I don't much care about the ports, just the at-sea experience. You can't get that in an all-inclusive.

Having done both, I agree with Cotton and Joy.

I live at the beach (Galveston) and love the ocean. I've visited several all-inclusives in Mexico (Puerto Vallarta, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, etc.) and I've enjoyed my stays...

BUT...

There is nothing that relaxes me like being on a ship.

One of the reasons my husband and I decided to go with a cruise from a local port (Bayonne NJ/New York area) to Bermuda because like many other people, we HATE FLYING, plus I know Bermuda is gorgeous and cruising is so much fun, also less expensive that an all-inclusive resort and a lot more exciting. when you fly to a resort, you're stuck there for the week, not as exciting. and it is very relaxing to be on a ship. We chose the cruise to Bermuda as opposed to other cruises to various ports because we did not want to feel rushed and we wanted to have more days on one island. :o

You don't get rocked to sleep at night at an all-inclusive ;)

I love being away...any vacation to me is a good one, but there is nothing like being ON the ocean for me. There is a peace that comes with being out in the middle of the sea...no land to be seen, that can't even be described. And I do think the added bonus of the captain being able to steer away from bad weather is just icing on the cake!!

We have done Cuba a couple of times and Punta Cana, all five star resorts. We thought All-inclusive because at the time we had young children, thinking it would be nice to stay in one location. All though the resorts are beautiful the food fails. I always tell people doing all inclusive, do not go for the food especially in Cuba and the Dominican republic. We have booked the destiny in November and will be taking the children 3 and 5. I think they will enjoy camp carnival and the entertainment is alot better on the cruise ships.

But right about now any vacation will due!!!!!!

If you are traveling with children then a cruise is your best bet. At an all inclusive there is limited things for them to do. They can swim in the ocean, swim in the pool, go sight seeing, maybe do a few land excursions, but after dinner is over there is absolutely nothing for them to do. Unless you bring board games, cards etc. On a cruise ship there are shows to see, and music to listen to, and teen and children activities to do. There is so much more variety of activities for you and them to enjoy. You don't have to sit in the sun all day if you don't want on a ship, there are tons of other things that you can do instead. We did some all inclusives but then decided that my kids had the most fun on cruises. That was 13 cruises ago, the rest is history.

Guest Time2gocruzn

Well...I know you ahve asked for people that have done both... we have done NEITHER, lol...yet. But I will tell you that I am a person who REALLY researches my options, and I will tell you why we choose cruising. We have really never got the chance to go on vacation since we have been married. No honeymoon, due to our jobs at the time, nothing after that due to kids that were too small. NOW we have the opportunity and the means so I wanted to be absolutley sure we chose the right thing.

What it really came down to for me is that I want to see as many places as I can. On this cruise not only do I get to see 4 different and beautiful places, but I get to stay on a beautiful floating resort. So I go to a port and hate it? No problem I can get back on the ship and go somewhere else the next day. I LOVE the idea that if I stop at a place I don't like I can just go back to the ship and not have to worry about being stuck there.

Now if I were to go to a resort...I get to see one place and one place ONLY. If I hate the location (country/region) of the resort..I am stuck. If I hate the resort itself I am stuck. To me spending $$ on a place I have never been to and comitting myself and my family to 7 days there is a little bit scary to me, due to the what if's.

Now if I go on this cruise and fall in love with one of the places we visit THEN I would consider going back there and doing an all inclusive or something...but not until I see these places first! Good luck whatever you decide!

If you are traveling with children then a cruise is your best bet. At an all inclusive there is limited things for them to do. They can swim in the ocean, swim in the pool, go sight seeing, maybe do a few land excursions, but after dinner is over there is absolutely nothing for them to do. Unless you bring board games, cards etc. On a cruise ship there are shows to see, and music to listen to, and teen and children activities to do. There is so much more variety of activities for you and them to enjoy. You don't have to sit in the sun all day if you don't want on a ship, there are tons of other things that you can do instead. We did some all inclusives but then decided that my kids had the most fun on cruises. That was 13 cruises ago, the rest is history.

It depends on what all-inclusive you use. We've been to Beaches Turks & Caicos 3x's since NOV 2002. They have a kids camp that is comparable to Camp Carnival. There were shows everynight, childrens talent shows, movies, etc. We were able to scuba dive, snorkel, sail and most importantly post up at a pool bar. There were 9 different restaurants to choose from and the food was great. No S&S card shock upon departure.

Granted, when our youngest turned 2 y/o we were back on the Miracle a month later. Why -we like the variety that both vacations have to offer.

The all-inclusive is less regimented and therefore more relaxing. the cruise had much more traveling - that made it nicer in that regard. Frankly, we like doing both - we find they are complimentary.

We have done both. Club Med before our daughter was born and Disney Cruise after she was born.

For us the Club Med was great because my husband loves to scuba and I like to snorkel. This gave us the opportunity to go with our own groups and do what we wanted to do. We met up later in the day for sunning and dinner and entertainment. We didn't have a problem with going off on our own.

My husband was afraid that a cruise would cramp his style. Not give him enough freedom, but after the cruise he changed his mind. I think that he would prefer the all inclusive but as you can see we are going on another cruise.

The food at Club Med was fine - just as good as the cruise ship.

Kathleen

We've got around and around especially this year regarding this topic. I did hours of research but we came down to booking a cruise. We have never done an all-inclusive and there are all prices, etc. You can go to the Dominican Republic for week and only spend $1000 a piece but was concerned about safety, food and what happens after a couple of days...there is really nothing else to do but beach and sun which is fine but not for 7 days. The Cancun route has many more options but gets pricey just like a cruise can. It was my husband's call this year and he said he'd rather go on a cruise especially with an itinerary that has 4 stops (Glory).

Well, I agree with most everyone. I just have a different solution. I do both!! I cruise to see many ports and I go to all-inclusives to lay on the beach and read and do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! I think they are both a great way to vacation. The similarities: good food included, room included, entertainment included, activities included. Difference: one location (just being totally lazy) vs. different locations (sightseeing, hustling, bustling)

We've got around and around especially this year regarding this topic. I did hours of research but we came down to booking a cruise. We have never done an all-inclusive and there are all prices, etc. You can go to the Dominican Republic for week and only spend $1000 a piece but was concerned about safety, food and what happens after a couple of days...there is really nothing else to do but beach and sun which is fine but not for 7 days. The Cancun route has many more options but gets pricey just like a cruise can. It was my husband's call this year and he said he'd rather go on a cruise especially with an itinerary that has 4 stops (Glory).

But - You can choose how long your all-inclusive vacation will be go for 5 days if 7 is too long. Also - you can start and stop your vacation whenever you like - you are not limited to the cruise line sailing schedule. There are just some times when a SAT/SUN sail date don't work.

And you can even get a bonus 180 degrees -- get the full 360 view if you're on the upper decks! :D

Archived