Stores that carry "FIRE" season clothing

Joby

I have a bit more to say about the weight gain/stress weight gain. A few years ago, I learned a bit of information. It may or may not have come from this site:

http://40plusstyle.com/how-to-determine-your-vertical-body-shape/

but the information that I retained (see Anita’s comment about filing away the information you want to retain and then disconnect from the rest) is much the same. I dutifully measured and was surprised by what I learned. I always thought my torso was long and my legs short due to the fact that I must always hem dress slacks one hem length (1”) and the fact that I can’t wear jumpsuits. After reading and measuring, I learned that my bust to hip is the only out of proportion part of my body. It is shortest. My take-away from that exercise was that my weight gain would naturally show first where my body is smallest or shortest. I was using faulty reasoning. I am 5’ 5-3/4” or I was before age and deteriorating discs took over, and I fall between the petite and average clothing models. I have a larger bust that filled out my clothes in the jumpsuit era. When I learned these things, I was able to understand why tops look better outside rather than tucked in my pants. My skirts and dresses need to stop at the bend of my knee. Midi length looks very granny on me. Tops and toppers that end where my leg attaches to my body is my sweet spot because it elongates that middle area. My favorite of all time dress was a lavender polka dotted swiss material with a drop waist and flippy skirt trimmed in lace interwoven with purple ribbon. Mother made the second dress from that same pattern, purple flower bouquets on lavender background with a different sleeve and collar. When you can distinctly remember two different dresses from your high school freshman year at my age, you understand the importance.

All that to say that I may have stress weight gain, but I may also just really like to eat and, at this point of my life, I’m less disciplined than I should be. Maybe both.

AOknkentucky . I can agree that making the decision to retire is stressful .I retired at 59 and then returned for a year very part time . That year made me realize I was done so I retired for good at the end of the year . The first eight months were spent decompressing and then I started getting a new life . I joined a gym and met a lot of nice woman . We formed a lunch group. I also joined a book club and met more nice woman .My SO & I go out to dinner twice a week and we travel . I also travel on my own to visit my family and my daughter and grandsons . Plus I always have home projects . I have been retired 8 years and I have no regrets.Especially this week as I am recovering from a flu and thankful that I do not have to drag myself into work.

Hey there, Debbie.

You and I need to have a wine bottle sitting on a table between us, some beautiful long-stemmed glasses (maybe a bit of something to nibble on to keep us from getting really looped)... because we've got some fun talking to do! Buckle up!

I'm back from a great fun cruise with friends. Wow, do I have mixed feelings about the Oasis. This cruise was so different than the first one we went on. First of all, 6300 passengers. Holy cow. That's way, way too many people! AND, overrun by kids! This was the first cruise I've been on where I was repeatedly hit in the head by a kid's balloon, over and over again, at the Late Night Show in the Theater! Late Night Show! And had to endure almost all the performances surrounded by those careless people who have so much to say that they never, ever shut up. Never. Ever.

I have so much to say about the discussion you all have been having. Right now, I've got to get myself ready for an appointment. But, I'll be back this afternoon and can hopefully compose my meanderings and scattered thoughts into some sort of coherency. Fingers crossed!

Talk to everyone in a bit.

Gosh. My mind is going in so many different directions and I'm having a problem trying to filter out what I want to say and stay focused. Darn it. But, here we go... let me try.

Debbie. The most important thing I want to say to you is that you CANNOT look at that energy profiling information from the endpoint. In other words, we know that we are FIRE ladies. If you look at the store and style of dressing that is being promoted by the energy "system," then you are going to type yourself as a Type 1. You just can't do that because that woman has no fashion sense. Gosh, I'm giving my Type away with that statement! Blunt. A bit aggressive. Know-it-all personality. And, yes, I admit that I HATE it and I get OFFENDED when people call me "pushy" or "stubborn" or "bossy." Grates on my LAST NERVE, for sure!

OK. I got lost. Back up. So... in her energy system, she's determined that Type 1's should dress like FIRE, due to their bubbly "cute" nature, she dresses them in the bright, warm colors. Type 2 she dresses like AIR. Type 3 she dresses like EARTH, which leaves Type 4 to dress like ICE.

As I think I mentioned, she really doesn't come from the fashion world. She discounts the color for skin tone theories. She's just all about the type of energy that you have in relation to this world.

Unlike Sally, I just found the information fascinating. I mentioned it because it helped me so much but I think that I used her energy profiling concept as a start point to help with my understanding of myself in relation to the struggles that I've had with my personality and dressing style.

Like...

When CJW told me I was FIRE, I just wanted to crawl into a hole. Don't MAKE ME dress in those bright colors. For real, don't make me do that! And, when I came upon this energy profiling system, I really, really resisted the "typing" that is my energy relationship in the world. OMG. DON'T put me alongside those annoying women as my energy equivalents cause most of them I. Can't. Tolerate. Ugh. OK, well I do like Amelia Earhart and Katherine Hepburn. That's IT! The others are so darn irritating.

Anita helped me to see what Type my facial features and my body language put me into. Which... if you haven't guessed already... is Type 3.

OK. How does this help me? Just opened up the Door of Permission. The one thing I did notice about her "bizarre" way of dressing Type 3's is that she gives them texture, movement, and grounding. So, I went into my closet and selected some pretty obscure combinations. I put together an outfit of my Desigual jeans with an animal print halter top and topped it with a mesh jacket in a light green. Almost giggling, I went to look at myself in a mirror and just stopped dead in my tracks. I LOVED IT! What?!?

So, I started really putting together some "interesting" combinations. As I reflected upon my reflection (see what I did there?!?)... I realized that I was stifling myself by trying to put way too much structure into my clothing choices. Force more conformity to a personality that doesn't really like to be that constrained.

So, that's it. That's my big Take. Away. from the whole exposure to the energy profiling system. It just opened up my eyes and made me see some new possibilities.

... to be continued after a lot more coffee...

Did I make a mistake and say "coffee" when I meant wine? :p

Anyway....

So, another thing. One of the energy dynamics of being a Type 3 is an aversion to anything that takes too long to do. It's kind of funny, some of the things that are brought up. One circumstance that made me laugh was the making of lists. Apparently, a Type 3 energy person can get really bogged down making lists, to the point where the first item on the list might be "Make a List" and there might be occasions where a Type 3 will do something that isn't already on the list... and <drumroll> add it to the list just so they can check it off! I confess. Yes, I've done that before and I have lists for just about everything that matters to me. It really bugs me when the lists don't get their items checked off!

Also, apparently, a Type 3 energy person might take shortcuts in order to get certain things done. Now, I confess that I can do this... but I'm not entirely drawn to that dynamic because I can be painstaking about certain things as well.

But, to relate this to fashion, etc.

It's a statement that Type 3's can make: "I can't be bothered." "This is taking too much time."

And, that's what happens to me in the area of accessorizing! And, in the area of makeup!

Explains why I have such difficulty getting myself all sorted with what I need to do to complete an outfit. AND, why my makeup routine can be short circuited, at times.

So, on this last cruise, I realized that a lot of it has to do with the amount of time that I have to spend with my hair. I've come to a better understanding of the nature of my hair, which allows me to spend LESS time on IT so that I can spend MORE time on my face. Sounds funny, but the truth is that after spending loads of time to get my hair to do something that it just doesn't want to naturally do, I'm exhausted and don't feel the creative energy left to put into making up my face. So, I just flick mascara on the lashes, polish on the lips, and I'm Out. Of. The. Stateroom... and onto bigger and better things like a glass of wine or conversation in the lounge.

This cruise... because I got my hair under less time constraints, I found myself actually playing a bit with the makeup. Face primer, followed by foundation, a swipe of blush. Eyeshadow base, playing around with blending 3 different eyeshadows, eye liner, mascara. Lipstick and gloss. Oh, Look! Put on some rings, necklace, bracelet, watch! Hey, I fitted myself out pretty good, didn't I? Wait a minute. Earrings! Yes! DONE. Off to the lounge and I felt so much more put together and ready for a party. And, I felt grounded... but also had a great deal of movement with all the accessories... and it really made me feel good.

Anita helped me a lot with this Type 3 identification. I resisted; I admit. But the final straw was when I read that Type 3's like to sit with triangles. What does that mean? Well, I looked down at the way that I was sitting while reading the book. I had my right foot lodged against my left knee. Picture that! And, my left arm had its elbow tucked on the top of the sofa, holding the IPad while my right arm was lodged against my waist and allowing my head to rest against it. Hmmm. 1...2...3 triangles right there. OK. I'm a Type 3. Well, there were other "clues," but I'm pretty solid about my opinion.

And, I'm not going deep into the subject matter, really. Just grazing, actually. Just to try to get an understanding of some of my roadblocks and what I can do to make a smoother fashion path for myself.

Statements of Friends and Other People on the Cruise.

How do these affect you? I had an interesting time perhaps because I am currently in an introspective space.

So, here goes....

I have mentioned several times about my hair. Here's the full story. I have always loved, loved, loved Meg Ryan's messy, wavy hair. I've gone into my hair stylist and told him how much I love Meg Ryan's hair and even shown him a picture! Yes, came loaded to leave the salon with Meg-Ryan Hair! Was told.... no. Hair wouldn't do that look. Left the salon with this hair that was worked on, worked on worked on. OMG. Blow out the hair. Use the hair brush in a specific way to straighten those strands. Spray. Spray. Add volume with some sort of foamy magical stuff. Spray some more. Leave the salon with hair plastered onto my head in a stiff style. Cry a little bit.

Spend loads of time trying to duplicate whatever hair style was given to me that (a) matched the shape of my face and (b) was supposed to be the best for the nature of my hair. Never achieved the "salon" look again. Cry a little bit.

Now, here is where I have fuzzy memory. I really don't know why I went to Miss Anita's hair stylist. Maybe it was because she was so, so happy with Stephanie and because she said that Stephanie could work with "problem" hair? I really don't remember why I went to this beautiful person Who CHANGED MY LIFE!

Drama, much? But, seriously. When I was sitting in Stephanie's chair and we were discussing my hair, I told her that my hair was difficult to work with... very heavy, textured, prone to being frizzy. So dry. Thought that was because of my thyroid, etc. Stephanie told me that the dryness of my hair was because of its curl. I said, "oh, no. I know it's wavy, but just in a few places." She said, "Girl, you have curly hair." I said, "No. I don't." She said, "looks like I've got to prove that to you." And, she said, "It's too bad you're in love with straight hair styles." And I said, "No. I love Meg Ryan's hair!" And, she said, "Your hair will do that naturally." And, I almost came out of the chair and hit the ceiling. "No! You have GOT to be KIDDING me!"

Fast forward. Through a huge learning curve.

I threw away my hairbrush! Yeah! I got rid of my hair dryer! Yeah, again! At my latest hair stylist appointment, I was told to get rid of my comb. What?!? I'm supposed to use my fingers only as my hair tool. I'm supposed to just air dry my hair!?! This is a huge, huge difference for me.

So, what did my friend say about my hair?

Uh,

"I really liked your smooth hair style. You looked so sophisticated with your hair that way."

Now, what am I supposed to do with this information?

I said, "I'm over looking sophisticated."

So, then she said, "So you're going for sexy?"

Laughing. That cracked me up! No, not going for sexy. Just trying to work with the nature of my hair and letting it be OK.

More comments coming...

Edited by Member123
Cause I'm a Type 3 and can't stand typos

Debbie, I'm not having a monologue here! Please don't wait for me to finish whatever I am talking about to chime in with thoughts. I'm just wandering through my own mind and taking primrose paths wherever they lead.

Type 3 with strong Type 1, huh? I'm thinking I might be Type 3 with strong... maybe 2? I thought I was a Type 2 or Type 4 until Anita began talking with me and persuading me to look here... look there... consider this... think about that. You ladies are all familiar with little Miss Persuasive Anita, right? She is so good at analyzing things and putting thoughts together. And starting projects. And now I'm making myself laugh cause I know she's going to read this.

So, I was in the realm of comments from other people on the cruise. Some personal observations.

#1. My friend told me that she didn't even bother to try to find my face in a crowd. She just looked for the brightest top and then honed in on whether it was me, or not. She said most of the time it was me. Remember way back when, back where we first started wearing our FIRE colors? Those comments made me cringe. Now, I just think.... OK.

#2. Observations. I found myself thinking about the type of energy that each person at the table was exhibiting. It was pretty enlightening. You know what I mean? The person that has to come up with a better story or grab some attention from the person currently speaking. The person who just listens intently to whatever is being discussed and nods her head appreciatively and just smiles and reaches for her wine glass. The person who can't sit still and fidgets with the napkin or the silverware. The person who remains completely unruffled by anything, the delivery of a wrong entree or the water glass being empty while the other person is so distressed by the absence of a cookie with the delivery of her ice cream? "Why didn't I get a cookie?" Response: "You ordered sugar-free ice cream." Question: "Why did HE get a cookie?" Response: "He doesn't have sugar-free ice cream."

So, then I started looking at the style of dress and thought that there's really something to this idea of dressing to support your energy type. Then, I started looking at people's eyebrows and trying to draw circles and/or triangles on their faces and thought... well, that's just all kinds of wrong.

Debbie, a few posts back you were discussing something that I didn't quite understand. You said you were dressing Yang Classic. Correct my perception of what that actually is, because my feelings about that are... that's not Debbie. It feels, to me, just by defining the words, that is a buttoned up (Yang = Masculine), Classic = Traditional style. Let's talk about that.

What else? I saw a lot of gray skin tones! Hey, maybe one of the ladies at the table was as much a FIRE as I am! She sure grayed out in white and/or black, which were some of her favorite colors. She even bought a black diamond/white diamond/white gold ring. Did. Not. Have. The. Heart. To. Tell. Her. Plus, I pretty much think she wouldn't listen anyway. You know? No one is going to appreciate being given information they aren't seeking.

I think I'm exhibiting just how much introspection I've been doing lately. I can share this. I'm so much calmer than I was earlier in the year. I think I've hit some strides in understanding a bit more about what makes me tick, floats my boat, is my cup of tea, etc.

I want to be one of those people that others can take in large doses. Memorable remark from a British lady that I engaged in conversation in the MDR at breakfast. She said that she had a friend that she could only take in small doses, somewhere around a teaspoon. Just a little bit at a time. So funny. And so descriptive.

OK. Someone else needs to talk now.

I am sipping wine and doing some introspection. I hate change . I am one of those people who arranges their furniture and it stays the same until I buy new furniture . So with fashion once I find a niche I stick with it . I may modify it a little but I would never abandon it for a whole new style . That would make me crazy . I do change or modify my hair style regularly but it is only small changes like less layers .I would love to be one of those spontaneous persons but It is not going to happen. All in all I am happy with my wardrobe . Lots of tunics,leggings or straight pants ,ballet flats and wooden jewelry and scarves . I am more likely to wear a maxi dress or a satin pants with a fancy top than a gown.In fact I feel uncomfortable if I need to be too dressed up.I love sundresses especially linen sundresses. I would say my style is conservative with a kick. Looking at the energy styles I would say I am a 2.Thanks for starting this discussion.

Well, Sally, you know what they say about wine: Wine is Bottled Poetry.

Or, a favorite saying of my Dad, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

You hit a chord with me when you said you would love to be one of those spontaneous people but it isn't going to happen. I so relate to this. If I give a cruising example, part of me thinks how great it would be if I could just wake up (say, on a port day) and just meander off the ship and just meander around the port and just have the unfolding of a spectacular, fabulous day. But, you know what? I know, for a fact, that the best days have unfolded when I've applied myself to acquire information, have Plan A and backup Plan B, let the people I'm with know what choices they may have, and we do end up with a wonderful day.

I've been in the lounge and discussed a port day with others. I'm amazed at the people who can just shlep off the ship, discuss monetary compensation with some random taxi driver, go all over the island for a nominal price, enjoy themselves, and come back to the ship fully satisfied with their day! Who ARE these people?!?

I know, for a fact, that I'd be worried to death in that taxi. Will we get back to the ship on time? Does this person know what they're doing? Where are they taking me? How much ransom can my daughter send to them in a hurry? Well... maybe that last one is a bit hysterical, but admittedly truthful.

So, for me, it's all about the execution of a well constructed plan. I don't think that's a bit spontaneous, even though outward appearances may indicate otherwise.

Yeah, for understanding your nature and being happy. That's the goal, isn't it? If we're true to ourselves, then we have the foundation for reaching out to others and life unfolds beautifully.

Your statement about the furniture made me laugh, only because I don't think Miss Anita has had the same furniture arrangement longer than a few months. That need to shake things up and refresh her environment probably translates into her wardrobe in that she wouldn't be happy with a closet full of items from the same designer, etc.

On another note: have you found a brand of ballet flats that are comfortable and offer some cushioning support? I've tried a few of the more economical choices and they just aren't working out so I'm prepared to up my budget for a good pair.

OK, long post ‘a coming—

Pam, coffee, tea or wine—they’re all the same to me, so grab whatever you need, I feel a Loooong talking post in the making--

Blunt? A bit aggressive? Know-it-all personality? Pushy-stubborn-bossy? I resemble that remark!

I love that all of us process learning differently from different points of reference, kinda like Margaret said she discussed at her conference--turn the prism.

I saw such a better reflection of myself when I tried CJW’s FIRE colors. I was sooo excited, but sometimes I still felt like there could be a “more better” me. That’s why I pursued until typed as Light Spring. For all you True Spring people, it worked great, so I was very hesitant to mention anything. I kept thinking my eye for color just couldn’t see correctly. It was infuriating/depressing to put every dxxn color of green top known to man on the floor or on my person and offer up the picture—only to be told than none of them did me any favors. I could have screamed. I thought there were absolutely no other greens on the face of the earth that could possibly be considered. When I discovered that “Light and Warm” were my most important words, the lightbulb turned on and I’ve been content with my colors since. I had the wrong saturation of color. I still occasionally wear True Spring color items bought during that time, but I know now to lighten the look of those items with a topper over or a top under that fits my Light Spring self. It’s not perfect, but will suffice until those items are no longer usable.

I’m still working out how Debbie does Yang Classic/Dramatic Classic, because I know those look best on my body but I need a little “oomph”--maybe the 'kick' Sally mentioned. I could really relate to the outfits Anita mentioned in an earlier post. My mother sewed, so, one year in high school, I had a rust maxi-skirt/peasant blouse combo with ivory crochet lace trim, a multi-green vertical-striped wool midi pencil skirt and turtleneck comb, what I called “Alice in Wonderland”—light blue w-white polka-dots gathered knee-length dress with puffed sleeves and huge bow tied in the back, as well as two different blazer jacket outfits. I wasn’t allowed to wear mini anything. Since this was just before pantsuits were allowed at school, Mother and I devised a plan that allowed me to be different without looking old-fashioned. I loved it and didn’t care what anyone else thought. I was me.

Now, I put together outfits depending upon my mood for the day. Do I want to blend in with the crowd? Taupe sweater and taupe ponte jeans with ivory top and simple gold hoops and flats. Is today a relaxed Friday at work? Multi-colored geometric print textured open-draped long sweater with matching colored top and dark jeans—grab my thrifted Cole Haan boots or my Kern knee boots and I feel spiffy enough to countdown to the weekend. Do I need armor to face the day or impress? Pull out all the stops with my brown ponte suit—no-lapel zip jacket with pencil skirt, ivory top and light spring jewelry. Gear up with my brown heels and bring it on! That’s how I work my non-conformity.

Makeup? Five minute face was a breakthrough for me. I don’t remember where I first heard it, but I like it. I have never understood how it can take a woman all day to get ready. My DS talked about waiting and Waiting for a date to finish getting ready. I can take a shower, wash my hair, dry and fix same, makeup, dress and be ready to go out the door in an hour with time to spare. For me, those things are necessary but not the important. That’s not the fun part for me. The important involves interaction with others—not time spent on me.

Triangles? I’d never heard this, but yes—sitting with triangles.

Ok—now hair. Several years ago, a hairdresser let me in on the secret of not using a brush or comb on my hair and having a hairstyle that works with the hair I have—in terms of both amount of hair and texture. I have begun to use a brush again occasionally on dry shampoo days and I use a flat-iron to put a little bend in the ends of my hair and give a finished look. My hair was much thicker when I was younger. Whether age or surgery anesthesia caused it, I’d like to hold on to what remains. Less processing hopefully means less damage. I know it means that I can get it finished and be on to much better things. (Type 3, you say?)

Sophisticated? Sexy? They should have seen us at the campground!!!

Not Yang Classic? For me, yang is opposite of yin. Yin is ruffles and bows—feminine touches. I like wooden accessories and natural materials, but I don’t think my best look is Yang Natural. So, again with the “I’m not This or That, I’m a combination of This AND That”—I’m not FIRE or AIR—I’m in between—I’m Light Spring. Like my Type 3 with strong Type 1, maybe I’m a Yang Classic with strong Yang Natural. I’m uncertain about this still. My current body needs pencil skirts and body skimming tops that end at high-leg break or tunics with a curved hem where the side seams end at high-leg break. Non-tucked v-neck sweaters or tops with open-drape front sweater toppers work well. Texture is good. Different textures—knitted in different patterns but all the same color in one topper is really, really good.

Sally’s talk about spontaneity and Pam’s reply caused me to think about me and my BFF. She’d rather be spontaneous at the cost of almost anything and I make lists and plan with contingency plans in place if no one else is willing to do it. If someone else (Kim!) is willing to do the planning AND more importantly, if I feel confident in their abilities, I'll gladly give up that job to another. We’ve agreed that we are the best of all combinations because we come at every endeavor from opposite ends of the spectrum yet always wind up on the same page of the same book. Our core values are the same.

I heard this somewhere: Friends mean well, but when it comes to fashion, sometimes their remarks are more about what they think looks good in general or what looks good on/to them rather than what looks good on you. They mean well. They are misinformed.

Woo-eee! Somebody else talk awhile--I need a drink of water!

Edited by aoknkentucky

Sally...it was with shock that I realized that I have actually lived with the same furniture configuration in our fireplace room for most of this year. After I rearranged after we took the Christmas tree down... I have regularly rearranged furniture my entire life. I recall rearranging the furniture in my childhood bedroom...I had a twin sized bed that was a dark reddish wood of some sort...a single-wide dresser. I recall having to sit with my back up against something in order to use my legs to move the furniture around...yes, I was in grade school rearranging my bedroom furniture...

DH and DS can tell you that was a regular occurrence. DS actually asked me once if it was about time for me to rearrange the room...

It just that a part of me constantly analyzes the placement of the room and whether or not it could be improved...very Type 4. And finally my Type 1 is too thrilled with the idea of the new room...and bingo!...the furniture has been rearranged. Often pulling and moving furniture around from other rooms...I shocked DH once with my ability to move book shelves up and down stairs by myself...that was in Kansas...

I'm a planner though...not a super spontaneous person...but what's funny about my planning, is that I tend to like to learn enough to know what my options would be...and then go with the flow of the day based on the knowledge I've gathered...that's a vacation example. Like when we used to go to Disney. Structured spontaneity.:rolleyes:

I do enjoy change. Sometimes I like change JUST for the sake of change. Like things have been the same for too long...there just NEEDS to be a change. Maybe that's when the furniture gets rearranged...

Totally Type 1.

Anyway...

Debbie...I think you are a take charge kinda gal...very Type 3 to me. Even Tuttle says to not have your friends tell you what they think you are...so I won't belabor the point of my opinion on the matter, but just sayin'.

I tried to look up the whole Ying Yang Classic Natural etc. stuff and that was just a bit too much for me to wade through right now...

I'm feeling more accepting of myself just understanding the whole energy...

I bought new polish...it's glitter. It's called "Frenzy"

Frenzy_922_Bottle.png

I thought glitter would look really juvenile...but it was so fun looking and the overall effect is actually a kind of periwinkle purple kind of color...and I discovered that if you keep putting on coats of polish...eventually, your entire nail can get covered in glitter!! And it looks awesome! At least on my toes...

So festive.

Maybe a little more New Year's than Thanksgiving...but oh well...don't care...and my Type 1 self is in love with my glittery nails! So fun! So happy!

I had told Mom that I just needed a new color...there's too many days in the year, I already can't wear all the colors I have, BUT...I wanted this color and I didn't have it...so there.

I'm also loving my easy care hair. I've been growing out my hair, I felt very butch with the other cut. But what I've really come to realize is that I hated not having any movement to my hair. I thought because I wore my hair in a ponytail all the time that it annoyed me in my face...and while that may be true...I really love a ponytail...swish swish...lots of movement...anyway, I didn't think it would bother me to chop it all off, it was away from my face...

But lack of movement.

I would have a bob cut and that would look fine, but it drove me crazy...I thought because it was in my face...wouldn't stay behind my ear very well...but really it was the weight of my hair...I needed it to be LIGHT...lifted up a bit...

So my current cut with all the layers...loving it so much. I just have to decide how long to let it get...I'm just so happy to have figured out what I really want for my hair...

When the urge strikes to do that drastic cut (it usually does every so often...the urge for change...) I'll know what has potential to be a longer term happy change cut.

I haven't played too much with my clothes yet in light of all this...

I did buy some thigh high socks though...saw a picture of someone wearing them with tights and they looked so fun...I thought it would be a fun winter look.

On another note: have you found a brand of ballet flats that are comfortable and offer some cushioning support? I've tried a few of the more economical choices and they just aren't working out so I'm prepared to up my budget for a good pair.

I used to swear by Born flats but lately they have been so -so . I do find some easy spirit flats that work . Flats for me are everyday wear so I do throw some money at them . Actually I also throw money at most of my clothes picks . I have bought some t shirts from Target only to have them fall apart so I would rather buy my tops from JJIll and wear them until I get sick of them. I looked at my furniture today to see if I wanted to move it and No, I did not want to change a thing . I do change pillows and accessories regularly . I have had my spontaneous moments . They usually involve giving great unexpected gifts to my loved ones.

I feel like I'm late to the party but I'm going to try to catch up because I think this conversation is so helpful.

Anita's comment that my having a "uniform" is very type 3 is spot on, and yet the manifestation of it is SO type 1. When I think about my job, my relationships, and what I value through the prism of typing, I get a lot of clarity. Shaped but loose tops with pattern, sweater coats, neutral color straight leg pants, a little heel -- all very type 1. Swirly energy up and out.

I retired at 60 because I could - I was a one deep position & there are 5 people doing what I did.

Melody, one of the things that I love and hate about my job is that it is one of a kind, so I'm "it." I feel valued and unique, which is great, but I also feel a greater responsibility to be present when I'm supposed to. Which, btw, is valid because when my dad was sick and I took some time, things really didn't go well in my absence. I often think that 60 will be my magic number, because I know at some point I'm just not going to want to be held to such a rigid schedule.

At the same time, I've been offered better jobs, i.e. more pay, more hours, but I always refuse them because I don't want the routine-ness that goes with them. I like having something new happen every day! How type 1 is that??? Look at all my punctuation... how type 1 is that!!

I dutifully measured and was surprised by what I learned.

Tops and toppers that end where my leg attaches to my body is my sweet spot because it elongates that middle area.

ME TOO! After typing myself, I came full circle (circle, ha ha) with regard to the body typing. In Shop Your Shape I learned I was a spoon. Then I read another website that said, ignore your legs, just look at your torso, and I discovered I was a rectangle. That was helpful because it helped me refine what kind of tops I was buying (no stripes, no plaids, nothing that emphasizes my short waist). After typing myself, I've reverted back to the spoon idea because it seems a better visual manifestation of what I am. One of the photos I saw that related to my type was of a tree, the kind with a tall straight trunk, and the leaves and branches like a spray at the top. So apropos.

All that to say that I may have stress weight gain, but I may also just really like to eat and, at this point of my life, I’m less disciplined than I should be. Maybe both.

I've said before that I'm a stress eater, and I know that's an issue for me. I also have had endocrine issues since puberty that put a lot stress on my body. I have long periods where I'm in balance and then things will change and I'm wacko again. It's very depressing when that happens and it's hard to get back on track. Most of the time I cannot trust what my body is telling me it wants, and I have to think about what I really need at that moment instead (more protein? a glass of water? a nap? what??).

Also, I like food! I love to sit around the table for hours with friends, talking and eating. Forging connections. When you think about it, the table is a very type 1 environment because the focus is all on the upper body and face. I actually eat pretty healthy during the week when I'm in my routine, but when the weekend comes my type 1 self is all "let me out!"

Jeepers, I haven't even gotten to Pam's comments yet....

Edited by MJC
read Pam's comment about typos :)

Margaret...so glad that you have time to post today!

I have a very hard time with routines...if I am starting a new routine...I can get caught up in the newness of it all and that will fuel my motivation to follow the routine. Once the honeymoon is over, so to speak, I can easily fall away from the routine...UNLESS one of the following is true:

1. The routine is fun. The yardwork has fallen on me with DH's new job. I can't deal with the gas trimmer, etc., that we had, so DH insisted we get better tools for me. (Something that we've been needing for a while, but DH just dealt with what we had, but he researched out better tools for me). Anyway, we got battery powered everything...mower, trimmer, blower (something we didn't even have before)...and they are all this bright neon green yellow color. They look like Matchbox or Hot Wheels toys. And they are fun to use. And I happen to like making the patterns in the lawn...so the lawn routine is fun. I can even look forward to it...

2. The routine pleases someone I care about. Pretty self explanatory there...

That's it. I don't find comfort in routine. At all. For me, it is restrictive. I mean, I rarely cook to a recipe...Mom will follow a recipe to a "T"...I look at it and half the time, I'm making changes to it the first time I do it. Baking is the exception...that is more of a science than just cooking...and that explains why Mom LOVED to bake and DH is known as the cookie maker in our house.

Ready to hear more from Margaret...:)

I posted this on the earth thread, but since the discussion is really here, I thought I would copy and paste it.

Unfortunately, Carol Tuttle's videos aren't captioned so I haven't gotten too far. I've followed along with the visual clues, but I haven't had too much progress just yet. It gets kind of boring when you can't follow along and have to wait for pictures, lol.

Not anyone's fault, just comes along with having a hearing loss!

I tried looking at the stores where she has clothes for the different types, but that didn't help in the least...I had trouble relating?

I'm going to try and focus on what you all say and comment to help me out a bit. I know that I treasure and value traditions, yet I always want new ones. I have fears, but I also try to meet them head on. For example, I'm afraid of heights yet I went to the Grand Canyon, and I've gone zip lining. It was very difficult, but I really wanted to set myself free of that.

I think one thing of interest is the different between wanting to change, and not being able to. For example, I too love to rearrange the furniture. But the shapes of the rooms I have here limit me. But then I work on other ways to make the changes. Then there are things like budgets - it may not matter that I desire change...maybe I have no choice but to keep using what I have? And does the overuse of an elipsis mean anything? (an elipsis is the ... thing)

Excuse my rambling, but I find this all so interesting. I even think about some of the items we have talked about liking and not liking. A few pages back, did you say something about polka dots, Anita? My gosh, I can't stand them, lol. I hate geometric prints, polka dots...quite a few plaids, even. But I don't dislike prints. I like them a lot, but I'm very selective. I find them, I don't know, distracting?

But here is a picture of my family room, now that the built ins are done, the room is repainted, we have the new sectional, etc. It feels so good to me.

The shelves don't look like this at the moment, as the arrangement was bothering me. And the pictures are no hung up.

20161010_215622_zpshcrjduqj.jpg

20161111_090148_zpsldxocdyl.jpg

Does any of this help at all as to the types of energy?

Hey Laurie...If you find this discussion interesting...I would recommend reading the pertinent chapters in the free ebook:

https://www.amazon.com/Dressing-Your-Truth-Discover-Beauty-ebook/dp/B004JU0JIK/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1430769153&sr=1-1&keywords=Carol+Tuttle

The Kindle version is free. I know you have a nook. Not sure if you can get a Kindle app for your Nook? I know there are Nook apps... Or if you have a computer that could have a Kindle app on it? I think I have one for my laptop...

Anyway...just to be clear. I don't necessarily recommend reading anything beyond the few chapters that actually define the four different energy types. It is more than a personality type, and it can tend into some thinking and vocabulary that is associated more with "new age" thought...but aside from that, the typing focuses on your basic movement in the world, the way you interact with things that are beyond your own skin.

So there are two basic flows of energy...outward flow and inward flow. Combine this with varying levels of movement...from high movement, medium to medium-high movement, low to medium movement, and then no to low movement.

An example of high movement would be people who literally have a hard time sitting still. People who use their hands while they talk. People who are very animated with facial expressions and lots of movement to help punctuate their speech.

An example of low movement would be someone who can easily sit quietly, virtually completely still, feet flat on the ground and hands resting quietly in their lap.

Imagine the difference?

So Type 1 is the highest movement, the most animated with an outward flow of energy. Type 3 is less movement than Type 1, slightly less animated and also with an outward flow of energy. Type 2 has low movement and an inward flow of energy. Type 4 has the least level of movement and an inward flow of energy.

Type 1s are associated with facial features that are circles or hearts or stars (I think). This begins with the shape of their face. Could have a round tip on the their nose. A humped forehead that is rounded. Apple cheeks. A round area on their chin. When they smile, especially, these are the ones that their eyes seem to have that extra spark. Their skin tone may have some ruddiness...especially red cheeks.

Type 3s are associated with angles and triangles. Their cheekbones and jaw lines can be parallel. Jaw lines might be more pronounced. Nose tips may have a triangular look. The bags under their eyes may come to a point. Their inner eye may come to a point. Their skin is best described as textured. They may even have permanent lines on their face (like from the nose corners to the mouth corners).

Type 2s have lovely skin. They are associated with ovals. There may not be much definition in their cheeks with a smooth kind of transition from cheeks into jawline. They tend to have a downward look. Their eyebrows slope down on the outside. Their eye shape tends to seem like it is pointed down. The tip of their nose looking like a pear with a larger oval shape on the end. Shape of face is oval.

Type 4s have the most porcelain skin...the smallest pores. They are associated with parallel lines. Their eyebrows may be straight across. Their eyes looking straight across. A straight nose. They have the most symmetrical face. A typical Type 4 smile doesn't show teeth.

The books details all these things. Talks about hands too.

In general, Type 1s have big ideas and think that anything is possible. They are the starters (but can have a hard time finishing). They can get overwhelmed by their ideas and have a hard time getting started even because the idea gets to be too big.

Type 3s get things done. They are results oriented, sometimes sacrificing the process to get to the end. Type 3s have lists. A funny Type 3 thing to do is to add things that have already been done to their list of things to do that day, for example, so that they can immediately check off those items that have been done. Very satisfying.

Type 2 are very detail oriented. They need lots of details to make decisions. They can put off making decisions because they feel the need to get all the information possible before making a decision.

Type 4 is the big picture person. They tend to evaluate things and work on perfecting things.

There is more details in that little book, but that's a taste.

The thing that I think all of us agree on, is that we don't like the way that Tuttle deals with color. She admits that she isn't concerned with skin tone or anything related to whether or not a color actually looks good on a person. Her color philosophy seems to be more focused on a generally accepted perception of color and whether or not your energy is in harmony with the generally accepted persona of a color.

So...because Type 1s are high movement, outward energy...she associates them with warm, bright colors. Someone who is wearing a bright coral color would generally be thought of to have a friendly, make a connection with everyone kind of energy. Type 4s, with low movement and inward energy...are a better fit for wearing black, for instance, a serious kind of color to match what comes off as a more serious kind of energy.

What becomes more valuable with this is the whole idea of what types of clothing is really comfortable...something that feels like "home" when you wear it. That you feel really resonates with yourself.

For me, being Type 1...it explains why I really can't stand pencil skirts. Being a high movement person...I like things that move. Type 1 is associated with air...I like A-line skirts or any skirt with a lot of movement. Mom said that a we always had to test the twirl factor of my skirts. The photographer of my wedding picked up on this and there are photos of me twirling around in my dress, which had fabulous twirl-ability.

In contrast, I don't necessarily need things to always be loose. I understand now why the majority of shirts and dresses I own are sleeveless...because I love the freedom of movement that sleeveless tops have. I really dislike restrictive sleeves...with a passion...and have a very hard time with sleeves of any sort.

Things being LIGHT is associated with Type 1. Now I understand why I like the jewelry I like...that is...why I have issue with so many necklaces. They need to be LIGHT, as if I'm not wearing a necklace. So chains with a simple pendant...nothing with too much weight...which is most weight. And of course...

That would also hold true for clothing. I try to like jeans...But as I think back...I've never really found jeans to be all that wonderful. I think because they are kind of heavy...and some styles are tight and restrictive. I can wear them...but looking through the ones that I have and the one that I normally grab to wear...first...the one I wear is the lightest color denim...it is the lightest weight denim...and it is the least tight pair with a straight leg at and below the knee and a not too tight (but fitted enough to be flattering). But I will still take them off at the first opportunity...

All this also explains why activewear is so attractive for me. It's generally lightweight. It isn't restrictive and allows for freedom of movement. It is available in fun colors and patterns. It is associated with movement by its very nature...the thought that you might be active (even if it's like that video Margaret posted the link to...which is still quoted in our house.)

Figuring all this out is really just another factor to understanding how to build a successful wardrobe...that is, clothing that can be applicable to any number of situations and circumstances that I am happy to wear, where the majority of the clothing is actually worn regularly...and again, happily.

Well, I've downloaded the book & will read it on the plane to FL. Without looking at it, after reading Anita's marvelously detailed (thank you) explanation I think I'm a Type 1 with some Type 3 for balance.

Laurie, I love your new room, looks like we should all be curled up on that sectional with you enjoying a glass of wine & watching the snow fall (hope you weren't buried this weekend). I love to move things around, but we have an older home with odd sized rooms, especially in our family room. We bought new power reclining furniture (2 recliners & sofa) in burgundy leather. I have a burgundy/gold sand wall on the moss rock fireplace wall, the other walls are a taupe/grey with grey/blue carpeting. I've accented with grey/blue & cream pillows & throws in different textures. I'll try to get a decent picture. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I love Miss Anita.

I read Laurie's post before I went to bed last night. One of my last thoughts was that I needed to synthesize that Tuttle information into a nutshell so that Laurie could benefit from it, take what is appropriate for her without having to get bogged down into a ton of superfluous detail, be careful not to give her inappropriate opinions (but, I think it's ok to state the obvious which is with Laurie's love of chunky jewelry, I just don't see a Type 1 being a comfortable "fit" for her).

My last wish before falling asleep was that Miss Anita had read Laurie's post and would have some thoughts to send her way.

Mission Accomplished!

Everyone understands that this is just a tool for thinking and conversation, right? There's nothing about the Tuttle "system" that I would advocate. Like Anita said, she now understands why the chunky necklaces just never became a part of her wardrobe. It's kind of funny, because I don't care for much weight around my neck either. But I don't think I'm as adverse to it as Anita is. Just degrees of difference.

And, by the way... I had to reflect on something that Anita said about me following a recipe to a "T." I think that I love baking more than any other kitchen activity. Maybe it's the following of a list or the precise attention to detail? Anyway, the first recipe I ever cooked was cornbread. My Mother was working and I was getting old enough to start dinner before she came home. As I got more and more involved, it became that I actually cooked the majority of the dinner before she came home. One night, I cooked spaghetti and added cloves to the sauce. It was a major topic of conversation at the table. And, my Mother said to me that cloves was inappropriate for spaghetti sauce, that it is a cookie spice. Well, guess what? I liked the taste of cloves in that spaghetti sauce and I've added cloves to my spaghetti sauce ever since. I think I'm pretty stubborn. I was always called that like it's a bad thing. Whatever. :D

Also, another question. If you read the reason for edits, does that make you more of a Type 3? Inquiring mind wants to know! I'm laughing (with or at myself) this morning! :cool: