Rough sea in southern Caribbean?

Mizsuzee

My husband and I have been on several cruises; Alaska, Mexico, and New England/Canada but we have never cruised the Caribbean before. That happens early in November when we go to the Southern Caribbean... I'm so excited but also am wondering if the waters are generally rougher than in the areas I mentioned above? We have never been in any REALLY rough water, and I guess I just want to know what to expect --- and how much Bonine to bring! :) Thanks for your input! :-)

Like all large bodies of water, weather can and will make for rough seas. The southern Carib. in general is usually calm. We have had some moderate seas, but usually further north. Bill

I have had the same experience. I believe that the Southern is out of the Trade Winds, and therefore, doesn't usually have the conditions that go with it.

We've done several S. Caribbean cruises and they have always been quite smooth. Sometimes a day or two will be a little rockier, but it's never been very bad. We often cruise in December, but haven't been in November.

Weather is, of course, unpredictable, but your chances are good for a nice smooth ride. The Southern Caribbean is our favorite itinerary.

If your cruise sails southward on the Atlantic side of the Eastern Caribbean islands, before moving into the Caribbean, you may encounter some "bumpiness". Once into the Caribbean, things should be pretty smooth, barring, of course, a storm.

One of the few times we had significant roughness was on a Southern Caribbean cruise following the route described above.

Have sailed the Southern Caribbean twice and no rough seas for me.

If you've sailed through the Gulf of Alaska and didn't have any trouble with that, you shouldn't have any trouble with the Caribbean.

Have a great time!

Archived