Princess compared to other cruise lines

imanewcruiser

I have gone on a couple of cruises in the Caribbean with Princess and really enjoyed the ships. The decore and amenities are great and I prefer a cruise that doesn't have a lot of young families. What other cruise lines are available in the Caribbean that are similar to Princess? Thanks!

I would suggest Holland America or Celebrity. Both are very similar to what you have experienced on Princess. We sail these three lines pretty much to the exclusion of all others and are well pleased with the product. Not too party-hearty, no belly-flopping contests/hairly legs contests by the pool, no rock-climbing walls, water slides, etc. I would think you would be pleased with any of the three. But - please understand that you will find families on these lines, especially in the summer/holiday times. Families enjoy cruising, too!

Travel during holiday or summer on any main stream line and I'd be surprised to find no families. Your best bet is during school, but lots of people here believe vacation over school so even that isn't a given. The rule of thumb would be the smaller the ship, the longer the cruise and of course the more expensive the cruise the fewer "young" families :D

I have gone on a couple of cruises in the Caribbean with Princess and really enjoyed the ships. The decore and amenities are great and I prefer a cruise that doesn't have a lot of young families. What other cruise lines are available in the Caribbean that are similar to Princess? Thanks!

You ma want to look at Celebrity Cruise Lines.

Keith

We also like Celebrity, Princess, and HAL. We've sailed more times on Princess because it's worked out better for our schedules and price-wise. But I'd gladly book another cruise on the other two. I'd even consider one of Royal Caribbean's smaller ships.

P&O Princess was all one line until '05, and I have found very little difference between the 2 lines now...even the fabrics are made in the same Yorkshire mill! Both will have ships in the Caribbean this winter. The main difference will be lots of Brits on board, and the tipping policies...P&O "suggest". Drinks are pub prices on P&O, with no tip. The two big ships will have families on board, in fact, Ventura is sold as a family ship.

Jo.

We have enjoyed Celebrity but have become Princess junkies only because of their rewards program. If you sail the Caribbean in January and February you won't find many children, if any, aboard.

Hopefully my son won't be only kid on board a huge ship this Jan. to the western caribbean on the Allure OTS! Like one of the previous posters said, some people believe in vacation over school. Fortunetly my son's school doesn't start until a week later!:D

If you really want to upgrade without families and want a small ship, try Silverseas or Seabourn.

My Uncle told me when he was 85, Pick the right paents and NEVER hang out with old people if you want to live past 70. I love kids, have 10 grandchildren and get down on the floor or ground and play with them. I teach them about bugs and spiders and how they work to save the planet. Old people make me sick, not literally but with their tales of surgery, ailments etc. Really, I am just kidding but went on NCL with 600 kids and 1000 adults,they were not a problem.

My Uncle told me when he was 85, Pick the right paents and NEVER hang out with old people if you want to live past 70. I love kids, have 10 grandchildren and get down on the floor or ground and play with them. I teach them about bugs and spiders and how they work to save the planet. Old people make me sick, not literally but with their tales of surgery, ailments etc. Really, I am just kidding but went on NCL with 600 kids and 1000 adults,they were not a problem.
Your Uncle had the right idea. Age is just a number. He was not old at 85. Some people are old at 50. You should not classify old people by age. We love our grandchildren and do what you do...but when we travel we want it without kids.

Archived