So is the balcony in Alaska a must?

kirbyrox

Because of the 20 hours or so of daylight in June, we have found an inside cabin to be more to our liking since sleeping during daylight hours is somewhat difficult for us. I wouldn't find any reason to spend extra money on a balcony in Alaska.

We actually thought a balcony was a must especially on a Princess ship since there is no place to go and sit without plexiglass. The Promenade deck generally does not have chairs and the buffet is for those eating although our trip before in 1994 was taken up with people watching the sites. We are thinking about May on the Golden Princess and can't think of a public venue outside where it would not be crowded. Skywalker's is nice but you can't hear the sounds of Glacier Bay. Someone told us to get a balcony and turn on the tv and listen to the ranger from our balcony. Isn't the ranger on the tv?

We will be doing our first cruise to Alaska next September. It was difficult to work out whether we wanted a balcony or not but we felt it would be a good idea seeing as we will be travelling from so far away. This might also be our first and only chance to cruise to Alaska so it did seem that spending a little extra for the balcony would be good.

Thanks to a great T/A here we are in a mini suite which was only $US50 more than a balcony on the Golden Princess and matched most of the rates for Suites that I found on the net as well. So all in all a great outcome for us.

As well as our Alaskan cruise we will be doing a couple of weeks driving through the Rockies pre cruise.

At the end of the day it really is up to what you are happy to spend your hard earned dollars on. Believe me even here in OZ our dollars can be hard earned. Our great benefit is that we can accumulate annual leave each year of 4 weeks which gives us a great reason to spend those hard earned dollars on overseas holidays.

What can I say but at the moment our Aussie dollar is just fantastic against the "greenback" so it makes the holiday even more affordable for us.

Cheers

Robyn:)

Maybe not a must, but having a balcony just makes an Alaska cruise so much better and more enjoyable. You get that extra space and the great views, plus comfort, convenience and privacy.

You can step out there in your PJs or bathrobe first thing when you wake up each morning and last thing each night with no need to get dressed or comb your hair or care about how you look.

If you wake up in the middle of the night, you get to view the night sky and the moon glow on the water. You can wake up, catch the beautiful early morning sunrise and then jump right back into bed.

If we had needed to waste time getting dressed to go dashing out to a public deck each time to get those wonderful views, we would have totally missed most of them.

Then there is simply convenience. Whether I want my jacket, book, magazine, sweatshirt, pen, sunglasses, binoculars, reading glasses, hat, gloves, spare battery, sunblock, whatever, if I am on the balcony I can just pop inside and it is right there close at hand.

If I'm going out to a public deck or lounge, I have to pack up and carry everything I might possibly want around with me. Otherwise, I will need to go running all the way back to the cabin to get it when I want it.

The advantage of having your own private balcony is somewhat like the advantage of having your own private bathroom right there in your cabin instead of always needing to get dressed and go running down the hall to use a public bathroom.

But a private balcony gets a lot more use than a private bathroom. We not only enjoy the wonderful views but also leisurely meals and beverages and snacks and daydreaming and reading and playing games and relaxing and chatting and planning for the next day's adventures on our balcony.

Only you can answer that. My first two cruises were ocean view. My 3rd cruise, I got a really great price on a mini-suite with a balcony and I have not gone back. If I couldn't afford a balcony, I wouldn't go on the cruise, PERIOD, no matter where it was.

I've had a balcony for our August cruisetour to Alaska, September New England/Canada cruise (rained almost every day) for our November Caribbean cruise (it did rain every day) and for our Oct Med cruise.

I prefer the solitude of my own balcony but still get the views of the water and the breeze while sailing, rather than fighting the crowds for space on deck (especially glacier viewing day).

There are others that sail in inside cabins to be able to cruise more often. They would put me in a straight jacket if I was in an inside cabin. I would rather only cruise once a year and be in a balcony/mini-suite cabin. But each person is different, you have to decide for yourself, all the rest of us can do is tell you our preference.

Have a great cruise.

I've been thinking about this million dollar question.

We have limited finances, and I would LOVE to able to do this cruise to Alaska.

After seeing this thread, I went and researched how much it would take for a balcony over an OV... I simply will not travel 'inside'... ever. It would be full, unobstructed OV, or not go. I will not travel for an entire week in a closet. I will not pay the thousands in airfare and cruise fare to be in a closet.

The whole purpose of cruising Alaska is to SEE those views...

And, traveling 'inside' or even 'obstructed', IMHO, completely defeats that purpose.

For me, the difference is SO worth it!!!!

Princess often has had 'balcony for the price of OV'....

And after researching, I found that even if we were not lucky enough to catch that kind of promotion... the price of the upgrade from full unobstructed OV to the entry level balcony would be WELL worth it.

I've only cruised twice...

Both times we were lucky enough to be upgraded or had a promotion for a balcony.

I am like the above poster who says it is either balcony, or maybe we can't afford the cruise to begin with.

I will say that we were scheduled to go to Alaska this past May but cancelled it unfortunately, however we watched prices closely and the ships that left from Seattle roundtrip (Princess and HAL to Glacier Bay) did not have flash promotions or drops in prices, however if you can afford the cost of airfare the ships that leave from Vancouver or Whittier are the ones that have deals for balconies as time gets closer. It was just cost prohibitive for us since one way or the other you will have to deal with air fare from or to Whittier, Alaska (Anchorage). More and more ships have moved to Seattle since people prefer leaving and returning to Seattle due to costs of air to Whittier or even Vancouver. I believe HAL has one ship that does a roundtrip from Vancouver and one can always fly into Seattle and take the bus or train to Vancouver.

We have cruised twice to Alaska twice in May (during first week of major cruise lines cruise season). First time we had an inside, and this last time had OV. Hated the OV--light was always coming in under the draperies! It is light for so long every day in Alaska in the late spring and summer, that I was longing for our inside cabin! We saw everything we wanted, as we could go to the Promenade deck every day, or if it was too chilly, stay indoors and look outside from the many viewing areas in public areas of the ship. Balcony for me--NEVER, but Alaska again in May 2011!

We have cruised twice to Alaska twice in May (during first week of major cruise lines cruise season). First time we had an inside' date=' and this last time had OV. Hated the OV--light was always coming in under the draperies! It is light for so long every day in Alaska in the late spring and summer, that I was longing for our inside cabin! We saw everything we wanted, as we could go to the Promenade deck every day, or if it was too chilly, stay indoors and look outside from the many viewing areas in public areas of the ship. Balcony for me--NEVER, but Alaska again in May 2011![/quote']

Cruz'nCouple, does HAL ships offer a place to sit on the Promenade decks? Also where else can you go where there isn't a crowd to see the scenery?

Not Cruzn Couple, but have sailed to Alaska three times on HAL ships (love it!;)). Yes, they have wonderful teak loungers on the Promenade deck with nice pads and several benches with the ship name printed on them. Inside those benches are warm deck blankets to bundle up with. Another great outdoor viewing space is aft on the Lido Deck at the Sea View Bar overlooking the outdoor pool. There are covered areas on each side of the ship to keep you out of the elements, and large windows with great views with several tables and chairs to enjoy a meal or a drink from the bar. It is not enclosed, so it may be chilly though the windows and the roof covering does cut down greatly on the wind. There are also containers with deck blankets out there, and lounge chairs around the pool as well. Which ship? We sailed on the Oosterdam twice (Sept. 2006 and May 2008) and the Amsterdam on May 31st of this year. The Amsterdam, as do her smaller sister ships, also have several "secret" decks on the aft of the ship. Deck 7 and 6 have large aft decks (go down the stairs at the very aft of the Lido deck behind the outdoor pool) on the Amsterdam that have lounge chairs and benches - you're blocked from the wind and the elements (both are covered), and the wake is mesmerizing! Excellent viewing on these little known and little used public decks - we never had a crowd (well, except for our little group from our Roll Call:D). Almost like having a huge aft balcony without paying the big bucks for it!

There are no musts! Everything comes down to budget and interest.

If you got the budget to do everything you want in port ( some things can cost upwards of 400 bucks/person, to free ) get a balcony. I'd never tradeoff a balcony for an excursion. There is just so much free deck space that spending on balcony at the expense of not doing a dream excursion is the wrong tradeoff.

Now did I read right, feb, you mean February? Where did you find a cruise that is going in February? :eek: You will need more then jackets in Feb!

Alaska season is from May to Sept.

Happy planning!

Well I'm back amigos, and I have Alaska on my mine... so I will be going to Alask in feb not sure which ship yet but it will be, whatevers leaving in and out of Seattle at the time... but yes I will be going with family and friends and they will all be getting balconys just woundering is it really worth it or is visiting them in their cabins be enough? This will be my first alaska cruise and a bit excited... what's the weather like in Feb? Sea conditions? Sea food selction more extravagant? How many jackets will I need to bring?

Not Cruzn Couple, but have sailed to Alaska three times on HAL ships (love it!;)). Yes, they have wonderful teak loungers on the Promenade deck with nice pads and several benches with the ship name printed on them. Inside those benches are warm deck blankets to bundle up with. Another great outdoor viewing space is aft on the Lido Deck at the Sea View Bar overlooking the outdoor pool. There are covered areas on each side of the ship to keep you out of the elements, and large windows with great views with several tables and chairs to enjoy a meal or a drink from the bar. It is not enclosed, so it may be chilly though the windows and the roof covering does cut down greatly on the wind. There are also containers with deck blankets out there, and lounge chairs around the pool as well. Which ship? We sailed on the Oosterdam twice (Sept. 2006 and May 2008) and the Amsterdam on May 31st of this year. The Amsterdam, as do her smaller sister ships, also have several "secret" decks on the aft of the ship. Deck 7 and 6 have large aft decks (go down the stairs at the very aft of the Lido deck behind the outdoor pool) on the Amsterdam that have lounge chairs and benches - you're blocked from the wind and the elements (both are covered), and the wake is mesmerizing! Excellent viewing on these little known and little used public decks - we never had a crowd (well, except for our little group from our Roll Call:D). Almost like having a huge aft balcony without paying the big bucks for it!

Thanks so much for that great info. We normally cruise Princess and have been wanting to try HAL. Oosterdam does leave from Seattle and goes to Glacier Bay.

I could do without a balcony on most cruises but not Alaska. The beauty of this state is beyond belief and I want to see as much as I can. Since I have done so many of the shore excusions before, I am really out for the wildlife viewing and gorgeous scenery. Fresh air is also a plus!

I had a balcony while doing the Alaska cruise in May (Pearl) and it was AWESOME!! When we visited Margerie Glacier, he pulled up to the glacier, and I was on the balcony listening to the "crack!!!" as a piece would fall into the water. Was so quiet and peaceful. bThen, I went up on the top to see it, and finally went right back to my balcony...was pretty crowded on deck, with everyone trying to get pictures, etc. The balcony is worth every penny, in my opinion :)

We actually thought a balcony was a must especially on a Princess ship since there is no place to go and sit without plexiglass. The Promenade deck generally does not have chairs and the buffet is for those eating although our trip before in 1994 was taken up with people watching the sites. We are thinking about May on the Golden Princess and can't think of a public venue outside where it would not be crowded. Skywalker's is nice but you can't hear the sounds of Glacier Bay. Someone told us to get a balcony and turn on the tv and listen to the ranger from our balcony. Isn't the ranger on the tv?

We love the outdoor viewing on the Princess promenade decks. There are very comfy deck chairs positioned all down both the Port and Starboard sides of the deck.

I paid a huge premium for a balcony, on the Infinity and it was not worth it! The balcony was small and we preferred to sit in the large buffet restaurant. There were tables right by the huge floor to ceiling glass walls. People were whale watching and having their coffee, at the same time.

To see Tracy Arm Fjord, we all went up to the top deck. It was so much more exciting seeing it with others. When we were sitting on the balcony, it was somehow less awesome.

I would spend the extra money on another excursion, rather than a balcony.

So funny the different perspectives on this. Crowds on the deck just irritated me LOL I needed the quiet of the balcony to enjoy it.

I am a loner a lot of times in life, anyway, so that's probably why :)

I enjoy being by myself.

My husband and I are like you. We avoid crowds whenever possible. We'll be on the pearl right after you next year in June. We'll be in a suite, which we love becuase we enjoy the quiet of Cagney's

So funny the different perspectives on this. Crowds on the deck just irritated me LOL I needed the quiet of the balcony to enjoy it......
I feel the same way. All that chattering and crowding in the public areas often ruins the experience when watching glaciers or wildlife or what should otherwise be a beautiful, peaceful sunset. I want to hear the natural sounds of the location, for example the rumbling and cracking noises made by a calving glacier, without the voices of a hundred gabbing passengers and vendors hawking drinks.

My .02 worth:

We absolutely loved our balcony... used it a lot! We were lucky with the weather though.

I fully recommend a balcony for Alaska. I got some CRAZY cool pics just because I happened to be out there and watching the world go by. Probably would have missed them otherwise. Also, while watching off our balcony, a whale jumped and then swam alongside the ship right under our suite!

I can see some destinations where you might not want a balcony, but for sure Alaska has enough scenery to warrant it!

I just booked an Alaskan cruise this week on the Norwegian Star for May. After much research I decided the balcony cabins were not worth the extra cost and we could use the money for the excursions instead, which will really be the highlights of the trip for us. I chose the Star because there are inside cabins on Deck 12, which is just about 50 or so feet from the pool area. So all we have to do is walk down the deck to the outside, or take the steps up to deck 13 and we have a panoramic view as compared to just one side or the other with a balcony cabin.:)

I agree druke.

we had an inside cabin on the June 2010 cruise and we were never in the cabin. One day , the first full day at sea we had horrible waves and the inside cabin was very cozy on that day. The rest of the time we were out on deck as much as possible. I made quilts for everyone of my family members and during MUTS we were comfortable. My hubby and I are returning in Sept 2011 without kids and this have a balcony all the way on the aft...I am wondering if it is really worth the money.

Archived