I see London: I see France: I see Celebrity underpants...

trenter33

I know Celebrity has some contradiction in their formal and evening wear, but what I want to know is what people really wear. If I want to wear a nice dress shirt, dress slack w/out a coat or tie on non formal will that be acceptable.

On formal night do the men wear tuxedo, suit or what? Do the ladies wear evening gowns? What I really want to know is what you wear. Please post pictures. Please don't cut and paste Celebrity dress code b/c I know what it is I just want to know what people really wear.

on non formal my husband usually wears casual slacks and a ss tropical type shirt. He wears a tux on formal nights. I usually wear a casual dress or capris and a nice top on nonformal nights. I've usually worn a long formal but I think I will be bringing nice cocktail dresses this year.

On formal nights, my husband wears a dinner jacket [uK - black jacket with satin lapels], bow tie and waist coat [different one for each night]. I wear a long gown [different one for eah night]. I have now had my hair cut but, previously, I would also go to the hair dresser and have my long hair put up for formal night.

On other evenings, my husband wears a lounge suit [not sure what they are called in the US - he usually takes two] and I wear a cocktail dress [different one for each night].

I know that not everyone does this but you asked what we actually do. A cruise is one time when we have the time and the opportunity to dress properly for dinner. Incidentally, we have never felt over dressed.

The photograph shows us on Azamara which has no formal nights and is an example of what we would wear on a smart casual and above night on Celebrity.

Sue

513235883_Temp3.jpg.1e79604c307e5fc00fceb86082f95db0.jpg

On formal nights, I will wear a traditional black dinner jacket, bow tie etc. It is not uncommon to also see white/ivory tuxes. My wife will wear a long gown or sometimes black dress trousers with some kind of sparkly dressy jacket (sounds awful but look great) for formal nights.

On the other nights, I will wear normally dark trousers with formal but dressy shirts or I may occasionally wear what has been described above as a "tropical" print. My wife will wear a mixture of cocktail dresses, dressy tops and trousers etc

There will as others have said always be differences and of course it depends (more than I had realised) on the destination/itinerary - people tell me that cruises in Europe outside of the highest season tend to be more formal - maybe because of the average age of the passenger and the climate.

My brother and his wife are sooooooooooo excited about joining me on the Nov 20th Constellation Thanksgiving cruise. He called me yesterday to tell me that he have been shopping in vintage stores in Houston, and had just purchased his 4th tux for the cruise.

Needless to say, we shall be dressing up on more nights than are scheduled. I have a suitcase dedicated to beaded dresses and tops. The 5 ladies in my group can opt to use any that they want to(er, after I first select mine, of course....)

I hope that you have a fabulous cruise; I certainly will....:p

I always took lovely formal gowns and my spouse took his tux. We really don't like formal attire. It takes up too much space in the luggage. In 2004, we lost our luggage before we boarded a 2 week cruise. All that we had was the clothes in our carryons. Our bags remained missing for over a week. When we did get them back, my good clothes had been stolen. So we went to formal nights on the cruise in what you have on your back. My spouse even laughs about wearing his boat shoes. Nobody cared...and we noticed that there were many other people in the same condition. Delta left a whole load of luggage back at JFK. There were 88 people in this group. Celebrity was great. They gave us all tee shirts and did our laundry same day for free. They even offered us free rental for formal nights which most people turned down. I have also lost luggage on other trips. I now have a statndard travel mode. Travel light. Put the essentials in the carryon. Never pack anything in a checked bag that you would miss. I take older clothes that I am willing to toss if I want space for souvenirs. I am a whole lot more relaxed. I don't care what you wear. On recent cruises when I've seen people in cruiseline shirts, I know what has happened to them. I even met a lady on Azamara that was wearing their logo tee. We talked. She said that she agreed me after loosing her luggage. Pack light, carryon and don't worry about formal nights. If someone stares at you, they are being rude. Ignore them. Have fun and enjoy.

I know Celebrity has some contradiction in their formal and evening wear, but what I want to know is what people really wear. If I want to wear a nice dress shirt, dress slack w/out a coat or tie on non formal will that be acceptable.

On formal night do the men wear tuxedo, suit or what? Do the ladies wear evening gowns? What I really want to know is what you wear. Please post pictures. Please don't cut and paste Celebrity dress code b/c I know what it is I just want to know what people really wear.

No problem with what you mentioned on smart casual (non formal) nights, that is what most men will wear.

Formal nights most men will wear suits followed by sport coats and lastly tuxes. I have found the number in tuxes is decreasing yearly and the numbers of men in sport coast is increasing. Perhaps a few more tuxes on longer itineraries and European cruises...

Also, increasing number of people are skipping formal nights altogether.

I am not advocating any particular dress, only passing on what is realistically happening...

I always took lovely formal gowns and my spouse took his tux. We really don't like formal attire. It takes up too much space in the luggage. In 2004, we lost our luggage before we boarded a 2 week cruise. All that we had was the clothes in our carryons. Our bags remained missing for over a week. When we did get them back, my good clothes had been stolen. So we went to formal nights on the cruise in what you have on your back. My spouse even laughs about wearing his boat shoes. Nobody cared...and we noticed that there were many other people in the same condition. Delta left a whole load of luggage back at JFK. There were 88 people in this group. Celebrity was great. They gave us all tee shirts and did our laundry same day for free. They even offered us free rental for formal nights which most people turned down. I have also lost luggage on other trips. I now have a statndard travel mode. Travel light. Put the essentials in the carryon. Never pack anything in a checked bag that you would miss. I take older clothes that I am willing to toss if I want space for souvenirs. I am a whole lot more relaxed. I don't care what you wear. On recent cruises when I've seen people in cruiseline shirts, I know what has happened to them. I even met a lady on Azamara that was wearing their logo tee. We talked. She said that she agreed me after loosing her luggage. Pack light, carryon and don't worry about formal nights. If someone stares at you, they are being rude. Ignore them. Have fun and enjoy.

I really am not crazy when people put in posts, its your vacation wear what you want. Certain types of dress are still not allowed in the dining room and they may deny you entrance. I saw it occur on my most recent cruise in August in both dining room and theater. Did you ever think that the cruise line knew you didn't get your luggage. Its not about someone staring at you, its about being admitted to certain venues. Telling someone to wear what they want doesn't serve anyone....

Since I drive to the port of embarkation, I will bring as much as I want to with me. I don't like to wear an outfit more than once; and since I can do this, I do. I am too old to let a board dictate my habits.

If you wish to dress down, so be it. If you want to dress up, so be it. If you want to skip meals or dine elsewhere, so be it.I am on MY vacation with MY friends. NO stranger is gonna spoil it for me.

I really am not crazy when people put in posts, its your vacation wear what you want. Certain types of dress are still not allowed in the dining room and they may deny you entrance. I saw it occur on my most recent cruise in August in both dining room and theater. Did you ever think that the cruise line knew you didn't get your luggage. Its not about someone staring at you, its about being admitted to certain venues. Telling someone to wear what they want doesn't serve anyone....

Sure it does - take this 'outfit' for example;

4l29ok.jpg

NOT Acceptable for Celebrity - but on other cruise lines....:rolleyes:

casual: DH wears dress pants and a collared shirt, I where skirt/pants and a blouse.

formal: Tux for DH and I wear a dressy pant suit, long gown or fancy cocktail dress.

I, Too. would miss formal nights if they were discontinued.

I agree with one of the poster who said it depends on the itinerary. I have only ever sailed in the Caribbean and, like most things Caribbean, are a bit more relaxed. Some people get dressed to the nines, and the rest of us use the extra luggage room for snorkel equipment and souvenirs.

I can see how people who are retired like the idea of having a night to get dressed up. But since I am still working and have to get dressed professionally, and do my hair and makeup every day, I prefer a more relaxed approach. I take nice sundresses to wear at dinner, and my husband takes long pants and collared shirts, formal night or no.

Just returned from Century's 12 nite cruise of Western Europe. We had two formal nights and since this was my first cruise I rented a tux and black shoes for the two dinners. I was told 90% wore formal wear but I found out that it was the reverse, only 5-10% wore tux/formal wear, the rest in suits and ties.

One guy at our table showed up both nights in a fancy shirt and dress slacks but NO Jacket at all! The rest of the dinners was "smart casual" which meant dress slacks and sport shirt.

Dh wears khaki pants and collared shirt for informal and dark suit for formal nights

I wear pants and business casual tops for informal and black pants with dressy tops on formal nights.

BUT, you will see everything.

DH and I like getting dressed for dinners too even though we get dressed everyday for work/school. It bothers me a little when people don't put in any effort or respect the dress code.

Formal nighs: Me in a long gown or a dressy cocktail dress; him in a dark suit or tux.

NonFormal: Me in nice capris with a "business casual" top or dress; him in khaki's and a collard button down.

Have a great cruise!

This is good keep it going. We are going on the eclipse Dec. 11th. 20th wedding anniversary and wifes birthday. it will be a great cruise.

Hi Trenter!

There is a great Roll Call going for the Dec 11th cruise. Stop over at the Roll Call forum and sign up!

See you there!

Sara

Here is a photo of me and DH on formal night. Sometimes I were long gowns , sometimes more cocktail dresses. DH always wears a suit.

34ox6k4.jpg

oops , my photo came out too big........

ojoy9s.jpg

Here are the kiddos on formal night..they love getting dressed up!

Kim

Whether we were working or now retired, we always dress for dinner on a cruise ....it's the only place we get to do this, and we feel really good dressing up. After all, the ship is part of the vacation and the elegant atmosphere is part of the shipboard experience. And we love seeing everyone else dressed up as well.

For smart casual, my wife dresses in dressy suit, cocktail dress etc. I have a two sports jackets and two pairs of slacks, three ties, and three shirts which all were bought to mix and match (easy packing choices). Going really informal would be long sleeved shirt, slacks and tie, sans jacket. We did this even when there was a totally casual night(s), except for the last night if we were catching a flight the next day and not overnighting in a hotel.

For formal night, my wife has a couple of evening gowns and I have a tux (formerly I had a dark suit).

Bill

Simple answer: Not Acceptable according to the dress code. Personally, I could care less what you wear.

Archived