I see London: I see France: I see Celebrity underpants...

trenter33

DH and I like getting dressed for dinners too even though we get dressed everyday for work/school. It bothers me a little when people don't put in any effort or respect the dress code.

I guess I'm not what you would consider a "real" cruiser, in that, for me, the cruise experience is ancillary to the itinerary. To me, the cruise ship is just a floating hotel getting me where I want to go. So that my explain my more casual attitude.

It's lovely to see everyone dressed up, but for me, getting all pampered for the formal night would eat into my snorkelling time in port. You can see where my priorities lie :)

I do put effort into going to dinner every night (do my hair, change into a nice dress) I just don't go all the way many people do.

Simple answer: Not Acceptable according to the dress code. Personally, I could care less what you wear.

What was not acceptable? Slacks and a shirt without a tie on NON formal night?

I think that was the only thing OP asked if it was acceptable, unless I missed something.

I think that's very acceptable on non formal night according to the dress code.

I think that was the only thing OP asked if it was acceptable, unless I missed something.

Gosh, if that's not acceptable for NON formal night, then forget it!:rolleyes: :mad::confused: That is what we had planned to bring for my husband. We decided to NOT pack even a sport coat for this trip. We are in the Caribbean, so we are going to be casual! But slacks and a nice buttondown short sleeved shirt seems acceptable to me!! Can't see anything wrong with that! Going to do formal nights on the balcony with room service for an intimate, romantic dinner!;)

Gosh, if that's not acceptable for NON formal night, then forget it!:rolleyes: :mad::confused: That is what we had planned to bring for my husband. We decided to NOT pack even a sport coat for this trip. We are in the Caribbean, so we are going to be casual! But slacks and a nice buttondown short sleeved shirt seems acceptable to me!! Can't see anything wrong with that! Going to do formal nights on the balcony with room service for an intimate, romantic dinner!;)

I didn't understand that post either. You are well within the norm. Have a great cruise.

I know Celebrity has some contradiction in their formal and evening wear, but what I want to know is what people really wear. If I want to wear a nice dress shirt, dress slack w/out a coat or tie on non formal will that be acceptable.

On formal night do the men wear tuxedo, suit or what? Do the ladies wear evening gowns? What I really want to know is what you wear. Please post pictures. Please don't cut and paste Celebrity dress code b/c I know what it is I just want to know what people really wear.

Just back from Solstice Carribean. Formal nights, about 20% of men were in tuxes, about 70% were in suits or sport coats, and about 10% didn't wear a jacket, just slacks and a dress shirt. Women wore anything they wanted, ranging from gowns, cocktail dresses, pants and a dressy top, and even a couple of young ladies wearing sexy little shorts (and yes, they were allowed into the dining room.)

By your posting, it sounds like you are going to Europe, so I don't know if the dress will be different.

My suggestion: wear whatever you are comfortable wearing and don't worry about it.

Just back from Solstice Carribean. Formal nights, about 20% of men were in tuxes, about 70% were in suits or sport coats, and about 10% didn't wear a jacket, just slacks and a dress shirt. Women wore anything they wanted, ranging from gowns, cocktail dresses, pants and a dressy top, and even a couple of young ladies wearing sexy little shorts (and yes, they were allowed into the dining room.)

My suggestion: wear whatever you are comfortable wearing and don't worry about it.

Hey remember all those 'formal wear' thread you started? Isn't it great that the attitude on board is a lot different than that on this board?

How did you like the ship? Have a fun time? Did YOU wear a tux?

Inquiring minds want to know! ;)

Whoops, my bad, missed the "non". Sorry, new glasses.

Hey remember all those 'formal wear' thread you started? Isn't it great that the attitude on board is a lot different than that on this board?

How did you like the ship? Have a fun time? Did YOU wear a tux?

Inquiring minds want to know! ;)

Yes, thanks for remembering. On the first formal night, I wore a full tux. About 20% of men wore tuxes, including one other at our table. On the second formal night, I just wore the tux pants and jacket with a black shirt, no vest, no tie.

The people on this board that insist that Celebrity is and must be 100% formal are incorrect and very misleading for the Celebrity novice, at least for the Carribean cruises. I was swayed, but that's OK because I didn't mind wearing the tux.

Cruise was great. I posted the thread "Solstice 9-26 Thoughts and Ramblings" to give you an idea.

On formal night DH wears his tuxedo (north american version: black jacket, satin lapels, black trousers with satin stripe down each outside seam), one evening with a vest, long tie and puff, the other evening with a bow tie and cummerbund. I wear long gowns.

On non-formal nights DH wears dress trousers and an open dress shirt (almost always striped), either with or without a blazer. I wear a knee length dress, or a blouse and knee lenght skirt, or a blouse and dress slacks.

Dress shoes with all above outfits.

On non-formal, my husband wears khakis or jeans (no rips or tears of course), with an open collar sport shirt or dress shirt.

I will wear a casual dress, capris or jeans with a dressy top.

On formal, I wear a short cocktail dress. My husband used to always wear a tux, but now feels very outnumbered, so has switched to a black suit. For the Med, he did bring his tux, but he was still outnumbered.

I saw something on our last cruise that almost had me rolling on the floor laughing.

We we're heading into the formal night late seating and it was soon after they opened the doors, so there was alot of people heading. I saw the Maitre D's head popup and do a quick swivle before he rushed in against the flow past me. A couple of steps behind me was a guy that was not wearing a jacket. The Maitre D. actually put the jacket on the guy and was done before he could finish "Sir, would you please wear this jacket". It happened in a split second...almost a reverse robbery.

That same night there was also an older gentleman rocking a tux with a blue ruffle shirt. Believe it or not, it actually looked good! It has almost inspired me to hit some vintage stores.

No problem with what you mentioned on smart casual (non formal) nights, that is what most men will wear.

Formal nights most men will wear suits followed by sport coats and lastly tuxes. I have found the number in tuxes is decreasing yearly and the numbers of men in sport coast is increasing. Perhaps a few more tuxes on longer itineraries and European cruises...

Also, increasing number of people are skipping formal nights altogether.

I am not advocating any particular dress, only passing on what is realistically happening...

Finally an accurate and realistic answer to the OP question..

Like you I am not an advocate of any particular view point, but the reality is every year cruising become less formal and formal guidelines less adhered to reguardless of the fervent formalwear crowd's objections ...

Thats the reality of cruising today, and the future. It's either good news or bad news depending on your preference, but it is the truth.

Srpilo

Thank you for all the great comments. There is a difference between what is posted on the Celebrity website, what is posted on CC, and the actuality of what people wear on the ship. That is what I wanted to see, the differences. We all see the great pictures of people wear a tux or a really nice suit, beautiful evening gown, elegant black cocktail dress. What we don’t see (but we see them in the MDR) is the picture of people wearing shorts, jeans, and a potato sack. They aren’t on CC or they won’t post the pics.

Thank you for all the great comments. There is a difference between what is posted on the Celebrity website, what is posted on CC, and the actuality of what people wear on the ship. That is what I wanted to see, the differences. We all see the great pictures of people wear a tux or a really nice suit, beautiful evening gown, elegant black cocktail dress. What we don’t see (but we see them in the MDR) is the picture of people wearing shorts, jeans, and a potato sack. They aren’t on CC or they won’t post the pics.

You will see very few people if any wearing shorts in any of the MDRs. Usually they allow it on the first night because they know people may not have received their luggage. Other nights, very rare and most of the time from my experience they are not permitted into the MDR...

I'm going to have to get me one of those potato sacks. Will they allow a generic one or does it need to be a designer label?

Is burlap allowed on formal night or only smart casual?

60591135_c14f8480d1_m.jpg

I think this was on formal night on Carnival Conquest. The FUN SHIP!

Okay, that's one of the best laughs this week!

My favourite formal night outfit I've ever seen was a woman in a capri outfit and "dress" Crocs, where the capris, t-shirt, jacket and crocs were all embellished with either sequins or rhinestones, or both.

• 2 weeks later...

On our recent Eastern Caribbean cruise, Solstice, early seating:

My husband wore a navy blazer, dress slacks, dress shirt and tie for formal night. There were many others dressed similarly. The largest percentage of men wore dark suits. The minority were in tuxes. We saw two gentlemen enter the MDR on formal night without jackets. The maitre d' very quickly arranged 'loaner jackets' for them.

On formal night the women were flashy in very elegant evening gowns, cocktail dresses, evening pants with sparkly tops and Sunday best dresses. Some wore sundresses with dressy accessories.

Casual and above nights:Khakis and golf shirts for my husband and that seemed to be the norm. I wore slacks and skirts with dressy tops. There were also many women in cocktail dresses on casual night and a few men in sport coats.

Archived