HAL mattress for sale?

DaveOKC

I remember reading awhile back that you could purchase a HAL mattress just like the ones on the ship (which are so comfortable!). Now that some time has passed, I was wondering if anyone on the board who purchased one can report on how they have held up.

Would you recommend purchasing one or not? Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

DaveOKC

We got a topper (down topper) for our bed about 2 years ago from Bed Bath and Beyond and it makes the bed extra cozy and feels to me just like the HAL beds. Cost was around $100.

The only problem has been I just don't want to get out of bed now in the early morning.

:D

~TC

On our Westerdam cruise in March, we watched the crew throwing some of the passenger mattresses in a dumpster while we were docked in Aruba. (It was the last cruise before drydock.) DD joked that she wanted to rescue one to take home, because that was some pretty expensive bedding they were throwing away!

As I recall there was an initial interest to buy HAL mattresses after they were first introduced. First blush was that they were wonderful but I think follow-on reviews said that many were disappointed with the mattresses, mostly because they didn't seem to be holding up. I think others found the manufacturer's brand and bought those for less than the privately branded HAL version but with the same long range result. Anyhow, after the initial rush the interest in purchasing HAL branded mattresses seems to have fallen off.

I have it and love it. Purchased it in Summer of 2005 and it is fine in holding up. It's made by Serta (Called the Mariners Dream). I am from the Seattle area and called the factory here and they made me a sweet deal as long as I picked it up. I think that you can only order it through the website on HAL now though. It's still almost perfect. It's pretty much the same as their European top mattresses that are available at Macys.

I have it and love it. Purchased it in Summer of 2005 and it is fine in holding up. It's made by Serta (Called the Mariners Dream). I am from the Seattle area and called the factory here and they made me a sweet deal as long as I picked it up. I think that you can only order it through the website on HAL now though. It's still almost perfect. It's pretty much the same as their European top mattresses that are available at Macys.

Maybe you can tell folks which model Serta HAL uses. I assume they just changed the tag to "Mariner Dream" but it is probably a match to one that Serta sells through major retailers.

Maybe you can tell folks which model Serta HAL uses. I assume they just changed the tag to "Mariner Dream" but it is probably a match to one that Serta sells through major retailers.

The old scam that Mattress Manufacturers use is they concoct a different name for the same mattresses (some may have minor construction differences) sold by different retailers. This makes it nearly impossible to "price shop" as the different names make it tough to determine that what you’re getting is indeed the same one sold somewhere else.

I remember reading awhile back that you could purchase a HAL mattress just like the ones on the ship (which are so comfortable!). Now that some time has passed, I was wondering if anyone on the board who purchased one can report on how they have held up.

Would you recommend purchasing one or not? Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

DaveOKC

One word...."eeeeeyoooo"

I bought one in June 2005 and we still use it. Couple of problems with it. 1. it only has one side so you cannot flip it only rotate the mattress:( 2. it did start to sag after about a year but I find if I rotate it frequently it is not so bad as well as I added a fluffy Down mattress pad which works really well with it. At the time the prices were very good better than many equivalent mattresses plus it had free shipping. Would I buy another one?, probably not, when I invest in a mattress again it will probably be Tempurpedic one. In the very beginning it did feel just like HAL but I think the problem is that HAL mattresses are all large singles that are then placed together for the King or Queen. We ordered a California King which is one big mattress with less suppport in the middle which gives for more sagging.

Here's another thread about the mattress...See post Number one...The poster is very unhappy with hers..She says she is on her second warranty & she claims it is not the same bed..[

There are more posts from unhappy people on the same thread../SIZE]

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1117187&highlight=mattresses

Cheers...Betty

Archived