Airfare Cleveland to Fort Lauderdale

kasualkathy

We still have not booked our airfare from Cleveland to Fort Lauderdale for March 2011 (March 17th or 18th)

A group of about 25 traveling which we may end up traveling at different days and times now.

The airfare is still in the mid $400.00 - that is crazy!

Do you think the airfare will drop as we get closer? I hate to book now but also worry because of all these mergers that the price will go up into the $500.00's. Any suggestions?

Do you think if we all band together and call one airline that we would be able to get a discount?

No, I don't think the price will go down. You are traveling during spring break.

Are you handling the booking for everyone? Or is each person booking separately? Yes, most airlines will offer discounts for group bookings. For example:

AA:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/businessPrograms/groupsMeetings/Associations.jsp

UA:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,3552,00.html

and so on. If you want to book these together, highly suggest you turn this over to a travel agent. It would be a nightmare for you to do so. IMO, this should have been booked months ago.

Was thinking I would book for 5 of us and not worry about the rest.

Everyone else is on their own.

Then forget about calling the airline for a group discount, as you mentioned before. For group discounts, the tickets must be booked together as a group, which is why others suggested getting a travel agent involved.

It's 1,000 miles and over 20 hours driving each way.

How can $400 for the ticket be "crazy". It may be "not as cheap as it used to be", but $400 is surely not an unreasonable price to pay.

Agreed. I routinely fly RT CHS-FLL for non-cruise related travel (and sometimes for cruises too, of course!). Advance purchase tickets are routinely in the $350 range, often approaching $400 with taxes/fees.

We still have not booked our airfare from Cleveland to Fort Lauderdale for March 2011 (March 17th or 18th)

A group of about 25 traveling which we may end up traveling at different days and times now.

The airfare is still in the mid $400.00 - that is crazy!

Do you think the airfare will drop as we get closer? I hate to book now but also worry because of all these mergers that the price will go up into the $500.00's. Any suggestions?

Do you think if we all band together and call one airline that we would be able to get a discount?

Have you considered chartering a bus?

I'm just saying it's in the $460-$480 range with and without all the applicable taxes and fees - some going into the $500's. We don't fly often and guess I'm just shocked that our last cruise in 2008 in March we flew to San Juan for $240...got lucky I guess.

We don't fly often and guess I'm just shocked that our last cruise in 2008 in March we flew to San Juan for $240...got lucky I guess.
Some air fares have been crazy at times in the last few years. Crazily and unsustainably cheap, that is; and it's been no wonder that airlines have been losing money hand over fist as a result.

Try Southwest Airlines. Just checking the middle of March I found several flights with 1 stop (usually my neighborhood airport -BWI) for about $164. I did notice that some of the better times were more expensive but as stated this is Spring Break. You can buy tickets then hope for a Ding sale where you cancel and rebuy new tickets. I have done this 3 times in the last year and it works! Remember to count in the luggage costs on other airlines also. SWA your bags fly free and that can add $50 pp. Remember for SWA tuesday, weds, and thurs are cheapest. Late afternoons and early mornings the most expensive (business people) and Friday evening HORRIBLE. Also try something creative like flying to baltimore (seperate ticket) and then flying BWI to FLL (seperate ticket) , There can be some strange routings with SWA and DINGs add to the fun as certain airports go "On Sale". Good luck Hope you get there.

Be sure to check alternate dates if you can have any flexiblity. If 8 ships with 3,000-6,000 passengers each are in port you will be lucky to get there at all. Huge ships cause the airlines to add extra seats. Some of the routes get really strange too (like through Detroit for FLL)

I just flew in and out of Cleveland on Southwest and it was a very nice experience.

Thanks all. I am now over my sticker shock of 450-480 so we are good to go.

I want to book now but hubby says wait a little bit - so we are working on that issue.

Also need to check with RCI to make sure if we decline the airline trip insurance that the insurance we purchase from RCI Cruice Care will cover airfare we book separately.

We normally don't purchase insurance but with MIL health issue recently diagnosed we need to purchase it.

Also need to check with RCI to make sure if we decline the airline trip insurance that the insurance we purchase from RCI Cruice Care will cover airfare we book separately.

We normally don't purchase insurance but with MIL health issue recently diagnosed we need to purchase it.

In general....cruiseline supplied "insurance" is far less comprehensive in its coverage than third party products. Many reports of cruiseline "insurance" being worth less than the electrons they are printed upon.

Remember....the cruiseline is in the business of selling as many "products" to you are possible. Do your own independent comparison of policy coverages - and yes....that means reading the fine print. And reading it again.

You did read the fine print when you took out your mortgage? Financed your car?? Took out insurance on the car and the house?? Or did you just take the word of the person saying "just sign here".

kathy- Sorry to hear about your MIL. I'd really look into your own TI regardless of how you book your air. If your MIL's health has a direct or indirect affect on your trip, it has potential impact to everything, not just the air portion.

Also really read the TI fine print....since your MIL was "recently diagnosed", any medical-related cancellation is a pre-existing condition. Burden of proof in case of a claim is yours. There are several good TI brokers online- tripinsurancestore.com insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com are the big ones. The first one in the list is my personal fave and if you call their toll free number they will be happy to guide you through the maze and match you with an appropriate policy.

Of course I hope you buy TI and never use it!

Archived