What night do the waiters do their show during dinner

jenson47

True. My attitude could also be influenced by the fact I don't like baked Alaska. On every single cruise (the only one I've ducked out of the parade was on my recent Crown cruise), whenever I've asked for the dessert menu, I've been given a hard time. I'm asked twice, "You sure? Not even a little?" Even excellent waitstaff have treated me as though it's a lot of trouble. After a "gazillion" cruises, I've gotten tired of being questioned about why I don't want the baked Alaska.

I agree that the candles and sparklers were good (in their time) but as you say, times change and so do our tastes.

Ciao for now!!!

For me, it has nothing to do with lack of real flame or sparklers or artificial lights. I have no intention of eating it and don't care for it.

If you don't like mixed flavors (I don't), Baked Alaska holds little appeal. I guess I have to consider that another plus of Anytime Dining...Baked Alaska is just another item on the dessert menu.

I also heard that in Europe they have a limoncello night but you have to pay extra for it?

Is that correct & are there any other extra charges in the MDR (other than wine & drinks of course)?

On Italian night they have limoncello as the liquor of the evening and as with all alcoholic beverages you do have to pay for it. You can order it any night though. Now the limoncello sorbet is free(included) and that is also on Italian night I believe. That sorbet is always the one I like to order.

Well, personally, I like Baked Alaska and I think the whole parade is more of a celebration and a thank you for the waitstaff. I'm just so happy that this is the only "humiliation" that they put their waitstaff through... I'd really feel bad for them if they had to sing "Yankee Doodle" or "America the Beautiful" too... :(

If you don't like mixed flavors (I don't), Baked Alaska holds little appeal. I guess I have to consider that another plus of Anytime Dining...Baked Alaska is just another item on the dessert menu.

Having done both many times, I really prefer the service in Traditional. On my last cruise, I brought some friends with me to dinner (as we had 2 open slots) and they were thrilled as they said "they finally got decent dinner wait staff service". When I have had Anytime dining, they still push the Baked Alaska (or whatever it is called flambed something or another).

I think I will do what Pam does and just leave early on my next cruise.

My brother took me on a Carnival cruise a couple of years ago and I felt bad for the waitstaff having to perform on top of everything else they have to do. It was a little like a dog and pony show with human ponies. Then they had to convince someone in their section to get up and dance with them. Talk about a no win situation!

Barbara

My brother took me on a Carnival cruise a couple of years ago and I felt bad for the waitstaff having to perform on top of everything else they have to do. It was a little like a dog and pony show with human ponies. Then they had to convince someone in their section to get up and dance with them. Talk about a no win situation!

Barbara

It was my Carnival cruise where I came to the realization that everyone else in the world knew how to do the macarena but me.... I can live with that.

I remember my first cruise about 20 years ago on a now defunct line (Ocean Cruises?) where an actual flaming Baked Alaska was brought to the table...in an unusually playful mood, my wife flicked a piece on the woman next to her and burned a hole in her dress. :eek:

Archived