What night do the waiters do their show during dinner

jenson47

Hi all. I will be on the Crown for a 5 night cruise. We want to do the crown grill, but i don't want to miss the waiters doing their thing. Can anyone tell me what night they do this? I also heard formal night has a good menu in the main dining room? Suggestions on when to go to Crown grill would be great. If it helps we have late traditional dining. Thanks for your help!

Hi all. I will be on the Crown for a 5 night cruise. We want to do the crown grill, but i don't want to miss the waiters doing their thing. Can anyone tell me what night they do this? I also heard formal night has a good menu in the main dining room? Suggestions on when to go to Crown grill would be great. If it helps we have late traditional dining. Thanks for you help!

Only in traditional on the last night, the Baked Alaska parade.

Go to the Holland board and do a search on Master Chef's Dinner. You will find plenty of information there about it.

We did a one week cruise on the Oosterdam the end of June and were "treated" to this mess. It is a 3 act dinner with running around of the waiters, juggling of plastic fruit and vegetables and the slowest of service you can imagine. Not that the waiters are at fault at all, but because this is just a silly evening. There are other comments on the HAL board that can explain it so much better than I can, but I will say, never again would I go to dinner for that. Was so surprised that they did anything like this on their ships. I'd read that Holland was supposed to be a bit more upscale, but this put them at the bottom of the barrel for us. Really felt sorry for the waiters having to be involved in this.

Hmm Interesting, i didnt know Princess did this. I will stay for the show/dance or whatever they do, if it's anything like Carnival's then it should be fun!

-David

There is no show/dance. At the end of the meal in the traditional dining room, they introduce the Head Chef and the Maitre d' and then the waiters parade around the room carrying Baked Alaska desserts and everyone waves their napkins. That's about it... no singing, no dancing. It's sorta fun, and the Baked Alaska is good, especially with the chocolate sauce!

4855090476_a4e06b3c41.jpg

I will stay for the show/dance or whatever they do, if it's anything like Carnival's then it should be fun!
It's a stupid parade in the Traditional dining room. They dim the lights, the assistant waiters parade around with a baked Alaska with a battery-operated candle, for god's sake, and they introduce the chefs and remind us how wonderful they are. We don't like baked Alaska so we duck out before the parade starts. Whenever I'm on another cruiseline and the waitstaff start singing/dancing, I'm outta there. That has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

It's a stupid parade in the Traditional dining room. They dim the lights, the assistant waiters parade around with a baked Alaska with a battery-operated candle, for god's sake, and they introduce the chefs and remind us how wonderful they are. We don't like baked Alaska so we duck out before the parade starts. Whenever I'm on another cruiseline and the waitstaff start singing/dancing, I'm outta there. That has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

I think I missed something Pam, what was your favorite part? :D:D:D

I think I missed something Pam, what was your favorite part? :D:D:D
Dinner. :)

Ok, I don't want to see a song and dance routine from the waiters either, but I think the Baked Alaska parade is a nice Princess tradition. My kids like me to make Baked alaska for their birthdays, which is a PITA, by the way.
To me, the baked Alaska parade lost it's flavor when they substituted battery-operated candles instead of the real thing. Maybe I'm just an old fogie but it was no longer "special" to me.

To me, the baked Alaska parade lost it's flavor when they substituted battery-operated candles instead of the real thing. Maybe I'm just an old fogie but it was no longer "special" to me.
I'll agree on this one Pam, what is the point of a non flambé parade in the dark anyway? The battery candles may be safer, but they are nowhere near to deserving the dimmed lights to observe their 'romantic glow'.

I think the part that got to me was on my first cruise on Carnival. They had the last night be United States night and had all the foreign wait staff sing "I am a Yankee Doddle Dande" and I felt so bad for them. Not only was it rediculous, they had to sing a song about something that doesn't represent them.

Could also be that after taking a gazillion cruises, many of the things that used to be "special" are now "old hat", but newer cruisers may enjoy them. Different strokes for different folks. :D

Could also be that after taking a gazillion cruises, many of the things that used to be "special" are now "old hat", but newer cruisers may enjoy them. Different strokes for different folks. :D
True. My attitude could also be influenced by the fact I don't like baked Alaska. On every single cruise (the only one I've ducked out of the parade was on my recent Crown cruise), whenever I've asked for the dessert menu, I've been given a hard time. I'm asked twice, "You sure? Not even a little?" Even excellent waitstaff have treated me as though it's a lot of trouble. After a "gazillion" cruises, I've gotten tired of being questioned about why I don't want the baked Alaska.

Dinner. :)

Yes, the batttery operated candles took away much of the wow! Didn't they used to use sparklers, or am I thinking of something else entirely?

True. My attitude could also be influenced by the fact I don't like baked Alaska. On every single cruise (the only one I've ducked out of the parade was on my recent Crown cruise), whenever I've asked for the dessert menu, I've been given a hard time. I'm asked twice, "You sure? Not even a little?" Even excellent waitstaff have treated me as though it's a lot of trouble. After a "gazillion" cruises, I've gotten tired of being questioned about why I don't want the baked Alaska.

I have struggled with this also. I am not supposed to eat ice cream so I am interested in something else! The weird thing is that since they have changed the menus, there are other menu items that is on the dessert menu (like entrees) that we were not given earlier.

For me, it has nothing to do with lack of real flame or sparklers or artificial lights. I have no intention of eating it and don't care for it.

Yes, the batttery operated candles took away much of the wow! Didn't they used to use sparklers, or am I thinking of something else entirely?
I think it may have been an evolution, or perhaps different cruiselines. On our first couple of cruises, they were actually lit bombe's, carried just a short distance to the tables, and flaming was actually part of the process to firm up the meringue. Then came the sparklers, now it's plastic candles with batteries.

Archived