Cruising Alone

Has anyone done this? I am desparate to go on a cruise between now and March 2011, and nobody seems to be available to go with me. My boyfriend owns a restaurant and can't take a week off in that time frame, my best friend *who normally loves to cruise* can't go because she's unemployed right now, my other friends all seem to have husbands or babies keeping them at home.

Any advice, thoughts?

Thanks!

Has anyone done this? I am desparate to go on a cruise between now and March 2011, and nobody seems to be available to go with me. My boyfriend owns a restaurant and can't take a week off in that time frame, my best friend *who normally loves to cruise* can't go because she's unemployed right now, my other friends all seem to have husbands or babies keeping them at home.

Any advice, thoughts?

Thanks!

I am considering doing this as well since I seemingly have had difficulty finding someone to go on a cruise for next May. I visited the Solo board on CC and I also inquired from a fellow solo cruiser on the Carnival board. I would also like to hear the advice as well.

Any advice, thoughts?

Thanks!

You could book solo for a cabin...since they are going to charge you the double occupancy rate, take your unemployed friend.....

... if you can afford it.:rolleyes::D

I priced out a 4 night Monarch cruise for the end of January, if I go alone its $315.07, if 2 of us go the cabin is $ 248.07 each ($496.14 total)...I would love to just book for 2 of us and take my friend but I'm not paying her airfare, cabs, excursions & seapass for the trip...Love her she's like a sister to me, but just can't/won't do it.

I don't think the $315 is too high for a single, plus I'd get my whole cabin to myself. I like alone time and don't think I would mind it, I just know I wouldn't be comfortable going to the main dining room for dinner, which is really one of the only things holding me back as we had such great experiences there on our last trip.

I priced out a 4 night Monarch cruise for the end of January, if I go alone its $315.07, if 2 of us go the cabin is $ 248.07 each ($496.14 total)...I would love to just book for 2 of us and take my friend but I'm not paying her airfare, cabs, excursions & seapass for the trip...Love her she's like a sister to me, but just can't/won't do it.

I don't think the $315 is too high for a single, plus I'd get my whole cabin to myself. I like alone time and don't think I would mind it, I just know I wouldn't be comfortable going to the main dining room for dinner, which is really one of the only things holding me back as we had such great experiences there on our last trip.

Hi!!! I would consider myself an "expert" solo cruiser!LOL

I dont know your age range ect, but I have never had a problem doing RCI dinner's solo. What I do is I go to the head waiter the day of embarkation. I tell him I am traveling alone and slip him a $20. I ask him if he can hand pick me a table of people my age. On their little computer screens it will say the sex/age of everyone at a particular table. This has ALWAYS worked for me. He has always sat me with fun friendly people in their late 20's-30's (I'm 28), these dinner companions have always made my cruise! I have such great memories of hanging out after dinner going to the shows and partying in the disco. Also, I have pretty much always had good luck making friends in my roll call. Just did a 7 night solo cruise on Epic and I had a great group of friends just from my roll call!

Do it! You cant believe how liberating it feels! And it kinda makes me feel bad ass too, like hey I'm cool I travel alone and nothings gonna stop me from seeing the world!!!

Now I'm getting married in 10 days on The Grandeur of the Seas so my solo sailing days are over, but I really feel like I needed those solo trips, I found myself, had an amazing time, and lots of great memories and new friends!

My mom went solo last year on the Dream out of NYC. Her friend backed out at the last minute, and when we cancelled and then rebooked, because she was a "senior" Carnival didnt charge us/her the single supplement, so she paid for one person, where they would normally charge you the same rate as two people occupying the cabin. She had the time of her life, and met many other singles her age and a little younger who hung out together on the ship, excursions, and switched tables so they could eat together.

Check the weekly specials from RCCL. (I don't have a link handy, but it's been floating around here on the boards, it points to a .pdf file that they update every week with their new specials.) These specials are the sales and they also sometimes have reduced single supplement charges.

They are usually pretty short term, so you'd have to be able to sail within just a few weeks or less, but that's probably going to be the best deals you can find.

Theron

With those prices I would jump on it. And if you feel uncomfortable in the dining room, after the first night, you can always eat in the Wind Jammer.

I am a single living in Orlando Florida and I have solo cruised on the Monarch 3 times. Best part of solo cruising is you get to do what you want, when you want, and have a stateroom all to yourself.

I first sailed alone on the Monarch last year and they set me up with a table of 4 other solo cruisers. It was fantastic hearing all of their tales

The following pic is the Table mates that I had on that cruise. I am the one that is standing.

100_0262.jpg.6d02d9867b0aa808249f5f7fc7c8f0b9.jpg

Ive also wondered about this. Ive divorced since my earlier cruise days so then I just cruised with my younger sons (teenage) but they are grown now and the last thing they want to do is crusie with MOM...so i am at the point where if i crusie it will be solo, not by my choice but my only choice. Dont want to but im not giving up cruise just cause it'd be solo. The only thing is,after going as a family and then going with just my sons i feel like i would have moments where i am alone, without them. We always cruised the same ship so i would have memories of them. But the big thing is cruising with the double rate, that is my killer. But id love to find a cruising friend but either they dont like to cruise or cant afford or they are married and wont go...etc

I have done two Alaska cruises, one Med cruise and two Caribbean cruises solo. I am now spoiled! I get to do what I want when I want. I go to the specialty rest. and don't think twice about it. Go for it, you'll be surprised how much you will enjoy it ( and may not want to cruise with anybody else).

Judy

Check the weekly specials from RCCL. (I don't have a link handy, but it's been floating around here on the boards, it points to a .pdf file that they update every week with their new specials.) These specials are the sales and they also sometimes have reduced single supplement charges.

They are usually pretty short term, so you'd have to be able to sail within just a few weeks or less, but that's probably going to be the best deals you can find.

Theron

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

Cruising solo is my favorite kind of vacation. For several years, until had my baby, I cruised by myself for at least 7 days over my birthday week. My spouse hated it, but I loved it!

I always splurged and got a veranda cabin and just loved sitting out on the balcony watching the ocean go by, knowing that no one needed anything from me at that moment.

I could do as much, or as little as I wanted, eat 2 lunches and a snack and drink as much or as little as I wanted..w/o anyone else knowing. The freedom to just be selfish and just do what I wanted, when I wanted, was fantastic.

My favorite memory is of waking up from an afternoon nap with the balcony door open and just laying there watching the ocean and listening to the sound of the waves, knowing that I didn't have to move until I felt like it. Heaven.

Now that I have a toddler at home..I DREAM of that moment.

My third cruise I desperately wanted to cruise and no one else could go with me. I took the leap, booked the cruise, and had a fantastic time. Didn't have to worry about pleasing other people with excursions or dining times, etc. Could sleep all day and no one would care. It was so wonderful I've done it a few more times since then.

Hubby and I cruise all the time together but he's having a hard time taking off a few days from work, so I'm striking out on my own for a quick 3-nighter on the Eclipse next month. Looking forward to some quiet time and will treat it like a spa getaway. We had a super busy 12-nighter in the med last month and there was very little down time. Looking forward to just relaxing and reading a book.

Good luck on whatever you decide....happy cruising...Joanne

Out of 32 cruises Ive traveled solo 10 times. Im going solo jan 3 on Jewell. I got a great price on a balcony room . I can get away whenever I want but a lot of my friends and my wife cant . My wife knows I like to cruise so she says to GOOOOO . Ive never had a bad cruise . I meet a lot of great people . In augest 5 of us went to alaska. A friend of mine went with me . Ill never go again with him . Snores so loud the walls moved, turns all the lights on when gets up at night , never ready to go, Ill go solo rather than go through that again . Watch for deals , I got Jewell on sale for 30% single suplement. Thats a great rate . Ive got 12 friends and my family plained for alaska in aug. Then well all go , till then Im solo and loving it . CARL

Out of 32 cruises Ive traveled solo 10 times. Im going solo jan 3 on Jewell. I got a great price on a balcony room . I can get away whenever I want but a lot of my friends and my wife cant . My wife knows I like to cruise so she says to GOOOOO . Ive never had a bad cruise . I meet a lot of great people . In augest 5 of us went to alaska. A friend of mine went with me . Ill never go again with him . Snores so loud the walls moved, turns all the lights on when gets up at night , never ready to go, Ill go solo rather than go through that again . Watch for deals , I got Jewell on sale for 30% single suplement. Thats a great rate . Ive got 12 friends and my family plained for alaska in aug. Then well all go , till then Im solo and loving it . CARL

I'm doing the Jewel cruise solo in April. I've done five other solo cruises and enjoyed all of them. I do have a couple of friends I could invite but both of them snore like freight trains, and don't like to do the same things I do. Also, neither person is very independent and I don't want someone attached to my hip for 10 days straight. I do have some friends I'd travel very well with, but most of them either don't have the money, don't have the time, or have a bunch of kids they can't leave.

That's OK, I always meet lots of nice people on board.

Solo cruising is awesome. On my solo to Alaska a met a lady who said the following "cruising by yourself is the perfect excuse to be selfish, do what you want, when you want." Don't be afraid of the dining experience.

Ander, I couldn't agree more with your post about the Monarch. The solo prices are the best there is.

Ander Posted.....

"I am a single living in Orlando Florida and I have solo cruised on the Monarch 3 times. Best part of solo cruising is you get to do what you want, when you want, and have a stateroom all to yourself.

I first sailed alone on the Monarch last year and they set me up with a table of 4 other solo cruisers. It was fantastic hearing all of their tales

The following pic is the Table mates that I had on that cruise. I am the one that is standing. "

Well thanks everyone I'm 99% sure I'm going to go for it! My boyfriend owns the restaurant with his dad and said he would talk to him one more time about being able to go *sometimes he has to be pestered 1000 times before he agrees to something*. I really hope he gets to join me but if not, I'll most likely be going solo!

THanks!!!:)

I am crusing solo on the Oasis on January 29. I have met wonderful people on my roll-call one group form Seattle has asked me to join them at dinner and we contacted Royal and had our reservations linked. Another lady and her sister have asked me to join them at Chops but I think I will stick with the dinning room. This will be my second cruise and my second solo. I have been to Vegas several times solo and Atlantic city and New york City solo as well. It is what you make out of it. I say go for it and have a great time. John

Archived