Nassau & CocoCay in Jan/Feb

Couple of questions...for those of you who have been in late Jan/early Feb what is the weather generally like? Also, do they tend to make it to CocoCay?

We're sailing Monarch 1/31-2/4 and I'm just trying to get a handle on what type of clothing we're going to need...we're going to be coming from Michigan so our temps here will be around 20f or below at that time. So even if it's not super hot there it will probably feel like it to us, lol!:D

Couple of questions...for those of you who have been in late Jan/early Feb what is the weather generally like? Also, do they tend to make it to CocoCay?

We're sailing Monarch 1/31-2/4 and I'm just trying to get a handle on what type of clothing we're going to need...we're going to be coming from Michigan so our temps here will be around 20f or below at that time. So even if it's not super hot there it will probably feel like it to us, lol!:D

HI Travelgirl,

We're on the same cruise! I'm hoping to get in some snorkeling, at least on CocoCay.. Hope to meet you aboard! Look for two tall ladies, one chunky and one slim. I'm going with my sister, who's 10 years younger than I am, and about 60 lbs lighter...lol We look alot alike apart from the age and poundage...lol

Looking forward to the trip!

We missed Coco Cay last January on the Majesty and headed over to Nassau and spent the night there. Unfortunately, the weather in Nassau was rainy outside, but, we had a great time onboard. The crew and Cruise Director were fantastic in keeping us entertained and busy.

HI Travelgirl,

We're on the same cruise! I'm hoping to get in some snorkeling, at least on CocoCay.. Hope to meet you aboard! Look for two tall ladies, one chunky and one slim. I'm going with my sister, who's 10 years younger than I am, and about 60 lbs lighter...lol We look alot alike apart from the age and poundage...lol

Looking forward to the trip!

Well I'll have to look for you. Have you gone over to the Roll call yet? It's my boyfriend & me going on this cruise...I'm short plump girl, he's a taller fitter chinese guy...lol...who knew, lol!

We have been at Coco Cay in both January and end of March and found it too cold to swim, but still had a great time. We did kayaks and jet skis, got a little wet, but nothing you Michigan folks couldn't handle, I'm sure !!

I have been in Jan/Feb a few times. We have always made it to the island. however to me, a FL native the water is COLD. Though many were snorkeling and a friend from Michigan said it wasn't that bad. The sun was always out and I actaully got a pretty good tan all the times.

BUT, if I were you I would at least keep an eye on the weather since it can and does get cold here in FL. At least a pair of pants ad a sweater/sweatshirt just to be safe even if the weather forecast is nice because it will get chilly on deck at night.

We are 2 for 3 when it comes to hitting Coco Cay in February... One time the seas were too rough and we were on an Eastern Caribbean cruise (7 day) ... We had a sea day and then went to San Juan... That won't be an option on your Monarch cruise...

Both times we made Coco Cay we were on Bahama cruises...

We're from Indy so we are coming from cold weather also... We have found Bahama weather to be warm enough for shorts and the water warm enough to get in...

As a packing note... Whatever warm clothing you wear going down to Florida, plan on wearing that home also... That way you don't have to take up valuable space in your suitcase with cold weather clothing... We usually leave our big old coats with whomever takes us to the airport... They bring 'em back when they pick us up and then we aren't stuck lugging that stuff with us to cruise... Are you flying in the day before the cruise leaves???

Enjoy Monarch... Really nice little getaway...

Last time I was in Nassau for a girls weekend cruise in Jan, it was very, very windy. We live in FL, so I was pretty shocked, because the weather back home was fine. Our hubbies were playing marathon golf rounds for those 3 days, without any wind. We even had a tough time sitting on the deck...silly girls eating ice cream under towels out on chairs...we finally gave up and went inside. For someone coming from anyplace other than FL, it will certainly feel warm.

Happy cruising...Joanne

Most of my cruises to Coco Cay (or Stirrup Cay-NCL's island next to Coco Cay) and Nassau have been in Jan/Feb timeframe. I guess I am very lucky--we've always made it (hope I'm not jinxing myself for my upcoming cruise). In addition, I've always snorkeled and not been cold. It's been amazing weather, actually. The only "cold" or "wind" I have experienced was on the way out of Miami.

Unfortunately, you never know what the weather will do. I count myself lucky and hope that my lucky streak continues :)

DH and I always cruise in January. We have almost always had great weather, since we're in Michigan great weather to us is anywhere without snow and ice. :)

I am hoping we will not have any problems getting to CocoCay on our Monarch of the Seas cruise. I've been there once, on my October cruise with my Mom. She didn't want to do much of anything though and I think we only spent an hour or two on the island before going back to the ship. :( I am so looking forward to going back and spending MORE time on the island, relaxing in a lounger in the sun, or in one of those inviting hammocks, and walking the nature trail, having lunch on the island, etc. DH has never been there. So I know we would be disappointed if the weather keeps us from getting there.

Poking my nose in here because we are in the same situation. So excited & looking forward to our cruise in February 2011. Slightly concerned about the amount of clothing a party of eight needs to bring when travelling from New England to Florida and the Bahamas. Most of us will want to swim. As we are sailing from Baltimore I expect the first and last day will be pretty chilly, but still warmer than home.

Archived