HAL partners with Le Cirque

djhsolara

Interesting, I agree that it might jsut be another revenue generator. We usually try Pinnacle once each cruise and everytime I leave saying it was good, not great.

Kirk

How much do you think a dinner at the Pinnacle would cost at a resturaunt?

I don't get all the Pinnacle hate around here.

Hi,

I like the idea of Le Cirque being offered in the Pinnacle Grill. I have enjoyed dining in the Pinnacle Grill, but I think it would be fun to try something different. Also, I have enjoyed dining at Le Cirque in New York. However, if this is only offered one night during the cruise, will it be difficult to get reservations?

Chuck

How much do you think a dinner at the Pinnacle would cost at a resturaunt?

I don't get all the Pinnacle hate around here.

The Pinnacle costs $20 more than what you have already paid for your four course dinner in the main dining room that you do not eat the same night.

You ask about why the hate? I hated everything about our Zuiderdam PG dinner from the greeting, to the inter-staff hostility, to the food, to the pretension. I kept hoping at every unfinished course that it would get better, but it did not. The one thing I did not hate was finally getting out of there that night. (June 2010 Zuiderdam PG)

the cost will be $39 rather than the usual $20. It will be offered on all ships after Nov. 1 and on every cruise. I guess like the Chef's Table dinners, If it is a success they will continue or even offer other similar events, If not, it will disappear faster than the smoking bars.

The Pinnacle costs $20 more than what you have already paid for your four course dinner in the main dining room that you do not eat the same night.

You ask about why the hate? I hated everything about our Zuiderdam PG dinner from the greeting, to the inter-staff hostility, to the food, to the pretension. I kept hoping at every unfinished course that it would get better, but it did not. The one thing I did not hate was finally getting out of there that night. (June 2010 Zuiderdam PG)

To each there own, but i've been on five HAL cruises and the meals and service has always been great.

My question wasn't what it costs, I asked what you would expect to pay for the same service and food in a normal restuarant?

...that this is scheduled during the Master Chef Dinner - When the Pinnacle is always booked by folks attempting to avoid the mess in the MDR?

Well, if it's on the last night of the cruise, maybe we'll get a bonus. We already have Pinnacle reservations for the last night of our cruise (after Nov 1) and it only cost $20pp.:)

When we tried the Le Cirque night on the Oosterdam it was held on a Wednesday night; the cruise runs Saturday-Saturday. So it didn't interfere at all with the Master Chef Dinner; we went to both.

Msteve, the Le Cirque will, I understand, be HAL-wide eventually but right now it's being tried on the Oosterdam (maybe others too I'm not aware of). The reviews you're reading are what's happening now on the Oosterdam. And perhaps subject to change as always happens when a new feature is in the trial phase. I'm hoping before it goes fleet-wide there will be improvements to what we experienced.

AH -- so it was not held on the last night of the cruise.

Hope once it is brought to the other ships it will not be changed to the last night of the cruise.

Although we are somewhat off-topic here, I have to agree with you. It is not the cost, but the lack of food quality, the pretension and interminable delays between courses that we don't like. I can feel my knees locking up. My wife and I both agree that we are far more happy with the MDR (or lido for that matter).

To each there own, but i've been on five HAL cruises and the meals and service has always been great.

My question wasn't what it costs, I asked what you would expect to pay for the same service and food in a normal restuarant?

I would have to consult with the Sizzler chain to see what a dinner at the PG was worth.

Although we are somewhat off-topic here, I have to agree with you. It is not the cost, but the lack of food quality, the pretension and interminable delays between courses that we don't like. I can feel my knees locking up. My wife and I both agree that we are far more happy with the MDR (or lido for that matter).

Going really off topic Jimmy2x, DH was on the Oriskany in '67 as flight surgeon after the terrible explosion, and we bid her a sad farewell in Pensacola before she went down for the last time.

Going really off topic Jimmy2x, DH was on the Oriskany in '67 as flight surgeon after the terrible explosion, and we bid her a sad farewell in Pensacola before she went down for the last time.

That was when the flare was ignited during the taking on of ammo. According to reports it was tossed into the "flare locker" in a moment of panic by one of the younger sailors. Truly a tragic incident. Most of the life lost was the younger aviators whose berthing area was beneath the bow area.

I was still in boot camp when that happened and wound up serving for twenty years as an air traffic controller.

You are not alone. While the food (eventually) in PG on Maasdam (Aug 2010) was good, the Chef had to cook my steak 4 times as I asked for medium ("pink in the middle") and it kept getting more well done. It was embarrassing. The Chef even came out the third time, had me cut it while he waited, and when he saw it was very well done, asked if I would like to try a rib-eye. After he left my DH said to me "Perhaps he should try to get what you have right?". I than had to ask them to re-cook my mushrooms because they were cold. The proper procedure is to re-cook everything on the table so it's all the same temperature.

I think dinner in the PG is hit and miss. I have had good ones and not so good ones.

It seems increasingly to be the venue where officers dine - often apparently with their partners. Service certainly was lavished on them - on our last cruise they seemed to have rock star status. :eek:

Life on a ship...

Smooth sailing...

That was when the flare was ignited during the taking on of ammo. According to reports it was tossed into the "flare locker" in a moment of panic by one of the younger sailors. Truly a tragic incident. Most of the life lost was the younger aviators whose berthing area was beneath the bow area.

I was still in boot camp when that happened and wound up serving for twenty years as an air traffic controller.

Ships were redesigned after that incident forcing any possible explosions outwards, and this incident as you described did lead to truly tragic deaths in the resultant fire, smoke and gapping ship's chasms torn apart after the explosion. There are a number of videos out there describing this incident as well as her path to becoming an artificial reef dive site. She went down just beautifully and we were able to watch the live video action.

It was also as I am sure you well know the ship John McCain left when he was shot down in Vietnam. It was nothing but one huge floating ammo box with a group of very talented, dedicated pilots who flew off her decks and too often never returned, or in John McCain's case, not until years later.

It was also as I am sure you well know the ship John McCain left when he was shot down in Vietnam. It was nothing but one huge floating ammo box with a group of very talented, dedicated pilots who flew off her decks and too often never returned, or in John McCain's case, not until years later.

I was based at Cubi Pt. when the release took place. An emotional moment for all. As I recall, McCain also set a cross-country record while attached to the Oriskany (single seater F8).

eat in the Pinnacle Grill or at LeCirque? Cindy can afford it. I just wanted to tie up the 2 separate postings on this topic. No harm intended.

I think Cindy buys the ship and brings in her own catering staff. :cool:

Hopefully, you did not leave a gratuity!:)

Does anyone know if 3 Star + Mariners, who normally get a discount in the specialty restaurants, will also get the discount off the LeCirque dinner? I think that would be great even though we'll probably give it a try on our upcoming cruise anyway! :) Thanks.

I have pre-booked and paid for a dinner in Pinnacle Grill one night during my upcoming NIEUW AMSTERDAM cruise. This was all done before the Le Cirque announcement.

How do I know that the night I booked in Pinnacle is not the night when it's transformed into Le Cirque? If they do coincide on the same night, are they going to try to charge me more or move my reservation?

Ernie

Does anyone know if 3 Star + Mariners, who normally get a discount in the specialty restaurants, will also get the discount off the LeCirque dinner? I think that would be great even though we'll probably give it a try on our upcoming cruise anyway! :) Thanks.

yes they do.

I have pre-booked and paid for a dinner in Pinnacle Grill one night during my upcoming NIEUW AMSTERDAM cruise. This was all done before the Le Cirque announcement.

How do I know that the night I booked in Pinnacle is not the night when it's transformed into Le Cirque? If they do coincide on the same night, are they going to try to charge me more or move my reservation?

Ernie

I would think they would give you the option of paying the extra for Le Cirque if it is your reservation night or changing to another night. That sounds fair to me. I wouldn't expect the PG to give me the LeC dinner for the regular PG price.

Archived