Caribbean Dilemma

haggis_10000

As first time crusier we have a real dilemma and are looking from some tips from you well seasoned cruisers:confused:

We are due to sail on the Constellation in February 2011. We visit the following ports, St Thomas, Antigua, St Lucia, Barbados, Grenada, Tobago, Aruba & Curacao.

Of these, I wold like to know which one you would choose to skip the tours and just chillout on a beach? Any suggestions of great beaches would also be appreciated.:)

Amanda & Steve

As first time crusier we have a real dilemma and are looking from some tips from you well seasoned cruisers:confused:

We are due to sail on the Constellation in February 2011. We visit the following ports, St Thomas, Antigua, St Lucia, Barbados, Grenada, Tobago, Aruba & Curacao.

Of these, I wold like to know which one you would choose to skip the tours and just chillout on a beach? Any suggestions of great beaches would also be appreciated.:)

Amanda & Steve

Hi, welcome to Cruise Critic:)...I have been to all the ports

except Tobago and the beaches in Aruba gets a vote from me:)

You have a great itinerary that is for sure:D...all the places

are nice!

Hope you have a wonderful cruise:)

A and S, congrats on your upcomming honeymoon and first cruise. You will find that all of your ports have excellent beaches, some more than others. If you are truley beach people, you will find multiple shore excersions combining a beach visit by catamarran, or bus, maybe snorkling, a stop for shopping with a little history thrown in for all of these islands. Check the shore excersions on the Celebirty site for your cruise and plan from there! Don't forget fresh sunscreen as it doesn't keep. Have a great honeymoon!

Amanda & Steve

That is a dilema! Have you checked out the port boards here at Cruise Critic?

Hmmm I'll give you my thoughts on the ones that I've been to and things I've done and enjoyed:

St Thomas - good for a boating excursion and snorkeling (and great shopping....)

Aruba - we rented a boat for the day and snorkeled and spent time on the beach. I would recommend this location for beach day I think out of the others but it can get very warm there. It's more arid here than any of the others

Barbados - snorkeling/swim with turtles - fabulous

St Lucia - we hired a taxi driver to give us a bit of an Island Tour - beautiful lush tropical island!

Curacao - is very quaint - we just wandered and shopped but I would bet they have good beaches here.

The others, I haven't been to but I've heard fabulous things about Antigua!

What great destinations!!! Enjoy!

St. Thomas - take ships tour to St. Johns and then go to the beach. Must easier than messing with taxis and ferry on your own.

Barbados - Calabazzasaiingcruises - Upscale catamaran takes only 12 passengers. Drinks and food served in glassware. Swim with turtles.

Antigua - Eli's Eco tour or Eli's Extreme Circumnav if you like speed.

Amanda & Steve

Okay, there are no out islands (scheduled beach breaks) and you want to know where to go to the beach? Well, these are just my opinions:

I spend my time in St. Thomas shopping for liquor and jewelry. Antigua is a really beautiful island and I had a great time taking the Black Swan to the beach, so it's a possibility. I love the town in Curacao, with the pastel colored buildings and the really nice cafes. I have very little to say that I like about Aruba, so the beach may be worth going to see there. (The rest of the island is tacky and when you get to the interior, it's nothing but a desert.) I really liked the beaches in Tabago (Pigeon Point) but if you go, just take a cab since it's so, so much cheaper than the excursions. Tabago beaches have palm trees growing in the sand right on the beach, but there is a lot of seaweed growing in the shallow water, so it's not like the pure sand that you might expect. I've never stopped in Granada, I've played golf both times I've been to St Lucia, and I have family in Barbados that we visit, so no beach time there, but I hear the ones on the south end are spectacular. I hope that helps.

Hi

This is a great trip,

we are on the 26th feb sailing, I think you must be sailing on the 12th.

Firstly as has been said go to the port of call boards and also

the Islands web pages,such as visit tobago dot com or visit Barbados etc .

In ST Lucia we did a Zip Line tour and it is the only tour we have

ever booked thro the cruise line but it was the same price as booking direct

it was a great experience.

I would also suggest you visit the roll call for your sailing and see what plans others have, it may be that you can join them, 16 of us fro ma roll call arranged a Glass Bottom Boat trip on Tobago and that was really good, booking tours yourself will save you plenty of $$$'s,but make sure you arrange to be back

at the port in plenty of time.

Have a look at this site for your visit to St Thomas

http://www.independence44.us

This is a great trip and Captain Pat and Ray will take you sailing to St John and you will have a superb day.

Aruba is a great day for chilling on the beach, the Raddison has day passes

that cost $16 pp and give you access to their pool and their beach chairs.

Have a great trip,

Great itinerary -

The first thing I'd suggest is checking to see how many other ships are in port with you - here's a website to get an idea of what you'll be dealing with:

http://cruisett.com/ships.php

We've found it to be reasonably accurate, enough to do some general planning.

St Lucia is a favorite island of ours for everything - if you haven't tried it yet, zip-lining is a blast. The people are lovely, beaches are ok but not the best you'll find on your trip.

St Thomas - great snorkeling and beaching. St John has stunning beaches and snorkeling, just watch your time if you don't take a ship's tour. If you want to stay on St Thomas, try Magens Bay - very pretty, has bath houses and food, but gets CROWDED if several ships in port.

Aruba's not a favorite of ours, so I won't comment. We haven't been to Curacao but friends tell us that the snorkeling and scuba is not to be missed.

Antigua has lovely beaches - we've been to several. Cruise around online for ideas. There are several resorts that offer day passes.

We'll be visiting Tobago for the first time in April - I can't wait!

Have a wonderful trip

After reading several recent reports about problems in St. Thomas: I would chose to take the tour over to St. John. We love this island.

St. Thomas doesn't seem to be safe in several places. If as they are reporting drugs and shootings are common place; why risk spoiling a nice cruise vacation.

We live in SWFL; and, we are beach people. Addtiionally, we have visited beaches at most of the ports on your ite=inerary. Therefore, you may wish to considering eschewing excursions at any of these ports, and simply catching a cab to your favorite beach.

Jack, not everyone lives at the beach:eek: and some excursions are

fun,:) whether you think so or not.

I could comment on all of these except for Antigua and Tobago but I'll limit myself to two comments:

Of the places you mentioned I'd rate Curacao for the best beaches - go to the Curcao port of call forum and read the threads on Kontini Beach and Playa Porto Mari - I have a lot of comments there and links to my photos. While the beaches in Aruba might have once been at least as nice they are all busy and lined with hotels. Porto Mari is beautiful and very quiet with no hotel there.

St. Lucia leads my choice for the place where an excursion is most necessary. The beaches that are an easy cab ride away are my least favorite of the islands you mention that I've been too. But the island is very nice as are the distant beaches and/or an organized tour excursion there is very nice. Look in the St. Lucia port of call forum and pay special attention to the private tour guide and excursion companies reviewed and recommended there. We went with Cosol and had a fantastic day a couple years back. After going to St. Lucia several times we now make that port a ship day if we're on a busy itinerary. While the excursions there are nice I prefer not to have to get up early and head out on excursions very often during a cruise so I save my early morning excursion days for a couple nice day sails at other islands.

Do yourself a favor and do check out the port of call boards - also don't limit yourself to ship's excursions but consider private tours and day-sails (with or without snorkeling) as well. As far as excursions go we normally book our own in the Caribbean unless the ship offers something special that appeals to us.

Jack, not everyone lives at the beach:eek: and some excursions are

fun,:) whether you think so or not.

By the way, I never indicated that some excursions were not fun. You may wish to re read my observations. Additionally, I did not indicate that everyone lives at the beach.

Vis-a-vis St. Lucia, you will find Choc beach is nice; and, you can access same by taking the public bus which is located about a quarter of a mile from the port. Simply take a left turn after exiting the entryway. The fee for the bus is very low, about $1.00, per person.

Aruba is our favorite island. We spent 14 days there last winter and will be spending 17 days there in Feb. It is very easy to get around without an organized tour. You can hire a cab to show you the main sights for a few hours. Another idea is to visit Eagle or Palm Beach for the day. You can take a taxi or a bus right from the port area. If you want some more adventure, you could rent a 1/2 jeep tour to the wild side of the island, with a swim/snorkel stop at baby beach. You might have to book the jeep tour through the ship. There are lots of wonderful things to experience in Aruba. Enjoy!

Aruba is our favorite island. We spent 14 days there last winter and will be spending 17 days there in Feb. It is very easy to get around without an organized tour. You can hire a cab to show you the main sights for a few hours. Another idea is to visit Eagle or Palm Beach for the day. You can take a taxi or a bus right from the port area. If you want some more adventure, you could rent a 1/2 jeep tour to the wild side of the island, with a swim/snorkel stop at baby beach. You might have to book the jeep tour through the ship. There are lots of wonderful things to experience in Aruba. Enjoy!

Both of these beaches are very nice; and, as I recall the bus fare is about $1.00, person. Actually, it is probably more fun than a cab, since you have an opportunity to chat with a number of interesting folks.

Pidgon Point beach on Tobago was one of the most beautiful beaches we have ever been on- just take a cab. You can also do the glass bottom boat there on your on if you want.

These ports sound great! Enjoy.

We did a land vacation to Aruba, and the beaches are the most beautiful I have ever seen. I would recommend Eagle Beach over Palm Beach or Baby Beach. Palm beach is wall-to-wall high rise hotels, and a very crowded beach. Baby beach is great for snorkeling, but not a nice, white-sand beach like Eagle. Also, Baby beach is right in front of the huge oil refinery on a not very nice part of the island, so that kind of spoils the view. Eagle beach is the "low-rise" beach...fewer, smaller hotels spread farther apart. The beach is the widest, whitest, most beautiful in the world. The water is beautiful blue-green and super calm. Get a taxi from the cruise port, and ask the driver to let you out between the Bucuti Beach resort and Manchebo Beach hotel. That is the best part of the beach. You will love it! It is a very short taxi ride from the cruise port.

We did a land vacation to Aruba, and the beaches are the most beautiful I have ever seen. I would recommend Eagle Beach over Palm Beach or Baby Beach. Palm beach is wall-to-wall high rise hotels, and a very crowded beach. Baby beach is great for snorkeling, but not a nice, white-sand beach like Eagle. Also, Baby beach is right in front of the huge oil refinery on a not very nice part of the island, so that kind of spoils the view. Eagle beach is the "low-rise" beach...fewer, smaller hotels spread farther apart. The beach is the widest, whitest, most beautiful in the world. The water is beautiful blue-green and super calm. Get a taxi from the cruise port, and ask the driver to let you out between the Bucuti Beach resort and Manchebo Beach hotel. That is the best part of the beach. You will love it! It is a very short taxi ride from the cruise port.

It is a very nice beach; and, it is a very interesting ride on the bus.

We did a land vacation to Aruba, and the beaches are the most beautiful I have ever seen. I would recommend Eagle Beach over Palm Beach or Baby Beach. Palm beach is wall-to-wall high rise hotels, and a very crowded beach. Baby beach is great for snorkeling, but not a nice, white-sand beach like Eagle. Also, Baby beach is right in front of the huge oil refinery on a not very nice part of the island, so that kind of spoils the view. Eagle beach is the "low-rise" beach...fewer, smaller hotels spread farther apart. The beach is the widest, whitest, most beautiful in the world. The water is beautiful blue-green and super calm. Get a taxi from the cruise port, and ask the driver to let you out between the Bucuti Beach resort and Manchebo Beach hotel. That is the best part of the beach. You will love it! It is a very short taxi ride from

the cruise port.

I stay at Manchebo. It is definitely the most beautiful part of the beach. However, the resorts at Manchebo and Bucuti next door try to keep it just for guests. They will not let you use any of their lounge chairs or palapas. They have cabana boys on the beach to watch over it. You can ask the driver to let you off at Eagle Beach, just down the road. It is less crowded than Palm Beach, although a lot of people really enjoy going to the Radisson and Holiday Inn in Palm Beach. They offer day passes. You should email them if you are interested. Sometimes Amsterdam Manor on Eagle Beach can offer day passes, based on availability. You would definitely need to email them to check.

Archived