Isn't it Time to Bring Back LUST FOR LIFE?

MrPete

If you want to make me happy forget about the commercials and bring back Shipshape dollars!!!

They really would get you active and involved on your cruise just to buy all that RCCL stuff!!

DITTO!!! Or the subsequent Vitality chips -- all of that was a great way to reward yourself for being involved -- I wish they'd take it even further and figure out a way to give the rewards for using the gym, selecting vitality meals in the MDR, etc.

Start a thread on this, I'd love to see who else agrees!

I always thought Lust For Life was a VERY odd song pick for a family oriented cruise line (well, ANY cruise line for that matter) considering the subject matter and lyrics.

HorrorFan...as much as I liked the tune and the bits of lyrics RCI used I agree, the rest of the song was disturbing.

Every marketing dept. or advertising agency likes to change things up a bit to keep things fresh (and justify their job). But when they finally build a mind link and plant an ear worm sometimes they ought to stick with it. everytime I heard the song on TV I zeroed in on the tube.

I always thought Lust For Life was a VERY odd song pick for a family oriented cruise line (well, ANY cruise line for that matter) considering the subject matter and lyrics.

Great song, no doubt, but not for a commercial.

Guess I'm not the only one who realizes its origins as a really downer, heroin-user, suicidal tune!!! I always chuckled inwardly at the advertising folks who must have thought this was an upbeat, cheery song... it was the irony of it that made it great. I always thought it was VERY strange as a cruise ship theme song...

Not that I love the "Nation of Why Not" either... but it's started to grow on me. That little "bom-bom-bom-bom" at the start, no lyrics or anything, gets my cruise juices flowing; if I'm wandering around my apartment (as I rarely sit down to actually WATCH the TV -- my kids refer to my viewing habits as "telelisten") -- I can visualize the scenes from the commercial in my head from previous viewings, the Aquatheatre, the happy faces, the beautiful dining room, etc.

We're all Pavlov's Dogs to some extent, we can easily be programmed to respond to a sound and say to ourselves "CRUISE". I remember one funny thread about a woman whose husband figured out how to imitate the "bonging" sound of putting your cruisecard into the entry machine -- always made her feel like she was about to step onboard!:D

Guess I'm not the only one who realizes its origins as a really downer, heroin-user, suicidal tune!!! I always chuckled inwardly at the advertising folks who must have thought this was an upbeat, cheery song... it was the irony of it that made it great. I always thought it was VERY strange as a cruise ship theme song...

Yeah, you'd think they'd do a little better homework. Alcohol abuse, heroin addiction and street sex aren't things you'd normally (well, in most cases :D ) associate with cruising.

Of course they DID cut out the lyrics. :rolleyes:

Catchy tune anyway.

Great song, no doubt, but not for a commercial.

The commercial, of course, never used the bad lyrics, and what they did use did fit. I wonder if the royalties got too expensive.

Don't flame me, but I think Carnival has the best commercials of any cruise line, especially with the horn sound at the end.

So yes, bring back Lust For Life, or something else more energetic.

I agree, Carnival's commercials actually get your attentional and I really like the horn sound too. RCI's have become too boring and I can't even remember what they are showing now. I loved the Lust For Life ones and the song was memorable.

So funny -- never had heard "Lust for Life" till it became the theme, so had no idea (till now) what the song was actually written about. Sort of like the whole "Born in the USA" thing, isn't it? Love those commercials, though -- makes you really want to go. And yes, I agree about that ridiculous visual of the RCI ship extending from the Bahamas to Cape Verde -- or is that actually based on Allure & Oasis' size?? :p

But what made me originally want to cruise was Lauren Bacall's throaty voice assuring me that I "had some Royal Caribbean coming"! :D

So funny -- never had heard "Lust for Life" till it became the theme, so had no idea (till now) what the song was actually written about. Sort of like the whole "Born in the USA" thing, isn't it?

Does it really matter?

There are songs from the 60's that I hear today that I used to just sign phonetically, not having a clue what it was about. Never been a lyric person.

I don't go into a tizzy when I hear "I LIKE TO PARTY", either.

Bring back Lust for Life!!! The commercial would come on, and I would stop whatever I was doing just to watch the commercial... dreaming that I was on it... Now with the "Nation of Why Not??" I'm kinda like scratching my head going WHY - Why not use Lust for Life for Oasis and Allure... if you want people to get out there on this ship... use LUST FOR LIFE!!!! :D

(forget about what the lyrics mean... it got your blood pumping and made you excited, bottom line!!)

Now I don't even notice when the commercials come on, and when they do I'm staring at Shrek going PLEASE don't sit next to me at the movie!!! :eek:

Yes! The old commercials were so much better.

The "Why Not" thing (especially in the current economy) actually has the opposite intended effect - it makes me start thinking of all of the reasons it might be better NOT to book a cruise right now. You know, ask me why not, and I'll tell you why not!

I miss all the older RCCL brand commercials. I liked Celebrity's commercials when they used that song, "Fame."

Me, too... I can still see those visuals in my head, too, with the "regular" cruisers walking down the dining room stairs with flashbulbs going off as if they were celebrities... definitely good branding.

DITTO!!! Or the subsequent Vitality chips -- all of that was a great way to reward yourself for being involved -- I wish they'd take it even further and figure out a way to give the rewards for using the gym, selecting vitality meals in the MDR, etc.

Start a thread on this, I'd love to see who else agrees!

It must be my fault, maybe they thought I was going to cost them too much. Below on the left is my wife and I on Freedom in 2008 and on the right is us on Navigator in 2009. We were ready to win all those bucks, but the program was gone. Well, we worked out anyway.

beforeandafter.jpg

Archived