Dining with the Captain??

carib123

We are on the Celebrity in a few weeks in Concierge Class. I plan on requesting a tour of the bridge and possibily the engineering section, as these things always intrique me when we are on a ship

Here is my question that maybe someone can enlighten me on...is there any rhyme or reason as to who gets an invitation to dine with the Captain?? Is just at the whim of the captain. Is it because someone believes you are interesting. Is it because you expressed an interest in it. Or is it because you have met the officers during a tour or some function.

I think it would be cool to surprise my wife with an invitation to dine with the Captain

Any all comments or advice will be greatly appreciated

Briefly, I can tell you, they make that decision,

based on several factors. We have been asked to the Captains table on CELEBRITY several times, once

the very first cruise we ever took.

And, we cruise more on RCCL, and, just the last time was the FIRST time after about 20 cruises with them. We are always the same with everyone, but, I am not sure who decides that.

Once we had a Captains Club hostess ask our whole Main Dining Room table to join them the next night on a CELEBRITY cruise. We were laughing and, having fun when she walked up to our table.

The last time at RCCL, we met the Captain at a greeting session, and, it was there, he asked us and, our friends to join im.

This was the first time at RCCL and, the first time the Captain actually sat with us. At CELEBRITY it was never the Captain at his table but another officer.

Just smile an lot and, be yourself...is the best advise I have.

I also have dined at the Captains table numerous times. As an FYI, the true Captain only dines during second seating. At firsts seating you are likely to get the Staff Captain or other high level officer. It also helps to be an Elite cruiser or in a suite.

From our experience, those in the PH and RS usually get an invite along with those who may be celebrating a milestone such as a 50th wedding anniversary. Also, those who are very frequent cruisers usually get an invite. Other than that, it's the luck of the draw and the Captain's Club.

There is a process and it's handled by the Captain's Club hostess. The invites go to suites and the highest level repeat cruisers. She can then fill in with others she meets along the way. Looks like there will be just two dinners on your cruise one early seating and one late on formal night. And it very well might not be the captain. It will be tough with such limited opportunities. Your best bet is one of the social parties when the hostess is there, introduce yourself, be very social and let her know if she has any openings you would like to fill in even last minute. She'll have her set list she has to invite. If she gets people who turn it down, it is at her descretion to fill the seats. Be flexible late vs early dinning. Then check your cabin often on Formal day looking for a message on your phone. Call back promptly.

We went on a run of 8 straight cruises where we were invited. What happened was we did a favor for the event planner when the Cruise Critic list was not sent to her. I had one and passed it along. She worked with the SoHo to get us to a table. We went had a great time and apparently made an impression. Apparently, our experience with the officer was passed on to the SoHo and was added to our file.

We've found what gets the best response in dealing with the officers is talking to them about them, their family, and home. So often, they get the same old questions about the ships harbors and so on. It's gets rather repetitive.

Good Luck,

We, also, have dined at the Captain's table many times on Celebrity. We haven't missed one in 7 or 8 years. (we cruise 3 or 4 times a year, mostly on Celebrity) I have never asked to be seated at the table or asked how they determine who is invited, so I don't have a clue.

However, there are two things that we always do....

...when first boarding the ship we go and introduce ourselves to the Captain's Club hostess

...and I always send a hand written thank you note to whomever hosted the table.

Other than that, we just enjoy ourselves.:D

We were invited to dine at the captains table last time we were on x...our butler stated that the hotell director asked the butler staff to recommend passengers to do this....it was a lovely experience. I am not sure what qualities we had that he chose us over other passengers though...maybe my husbands stunning good looks.

It was not with the captain, but one of the officers, who was a very nice young man...we all met at the champagne bar prior, and were served champagne and hors doeuvres...they also took a nice potrait of the table, which the odficer signed, and which was delivered to our room the next day.

I was so happy to be invited!:p

Edited by WineDown17

You pay all that money for a cruise, why on earth would you want to dine with the crew ? We once had an officer at our dinner table practically every night for 14 nights on a P&O cruise and it certainly stifled conversation on the nights he was there. Never again. If I received an invitation to dine at the captain's table I would decline the offer.

You pay all that money for a cruise, why on earth would you want to dine with the crew ? We once had an officer at our dinner table practically every night for 14 nights on a P&O cruise and it certainly stifled conversation on the nights he was there. Never again. If I received an invitation to dine at the captain's table I would decline the offer.

Joke, right? ;)

As I mentioned above--I did read that many folks have had tours now.

They perhaps are indeed doing them again..they were not for some time.

Hi Karen Lynn,:) they are doing bridge tours. I would say for at

least 2 or 3 years now. I have been invited and it is quite interesting.

Sounds like you had a boring table:rolleyes: I have been invited several times

with either the Captain or one of the Sr Officers and I had the opposite

experiences from you. We had good conversation~not stifled at all and

the food and wine flowed nicely as well:D

To each their own....If I get invited again, I would graciously accept:)

Oh, its only once per cruise...not 14 nights.....

Edited by Lois R

We just cruised on the Summit to Canada/New England. This was our 25th cruise. The hostess called and invited us to sit at the Captain's Table. After accepting I was sorry thinking the conversation would be boring and that I would have to be on my best behavior. We ended up sitting with the Chief Engineer with 3 other couples, some first time cruisers, and one couple with 49 cruises. We enjoyed the dinner, the wine and the company of all those at the table. The Chief Engineer was so personable. I hope Staygulf gets invited again to sit at the Captain's table and accepts and I am sure he will find it to be a pleasant and enjoyable experience. I loved it.

Bridge tours are by invitation. You can ask at guest relations and they will add your name to a list and if you are lucky, you may get asked.

Engine room tours are now off the menu.

That is not true about Engine Room tours. They have them on Azamara and on Celebrity too. The Captains Club Hostess asked if we would be interested in an Engine Room Tour, but they did a Bridge Tour instead. It was only a 4 night cruise, so they did not have time for both.

Hi Karen Lynn,:) they are doing bridge tours. I would say for at

least 2 or 3 years now. I have been invited and it is quite interesting.

Well--last one we asked on was Princess and were told no--not since 9/11

I did see the Bridge on Oasis of the Seas though..

No Muushka, it's no joke. What kudos is there in dining at the captain's table / Just to tell your friends "we dined with the captain". As most posts indicate, it's not usually the captain anyway, but a senior officer.

No Kudos needed but it is always nice to meet and experience new things and people...

To the OP: It never hurts to politely ask for a tour or an invitation to the Captain's Table. IMHO, the request may be best phrased with an understanding that it may not be possible but that it would be a highlight for you. Maybe it will happen. If you have cruised with X before I would ask the Captain's Club host or hostess.

Yes, people do turn down invites to the Captain's Table......Last January we were on a BtoB on Summit and were invited twice to the Captains Table. Having read these boards I know there are many that really hope for that invitation and to us it really didn't matter. I turned down both invites so 2 other people each time could have the chance. I hope they enjoyed it.

Tne invites came from the Captain's Club hostess and the other from a butler..... we were in 6143 (the CC class room in "suiteland") and he was the butler serving the adjoining suites & PH. We enjoyed talking to each other in the hall.

Both were pretty surprised when I politely declined. I guess it doesn't happen much!