Vaccinations necessary before we go to Cozumel, Costa Rica, Panama?

I was just asked last night if I'd gotten my vaccinations yet, to go on my cruise. I'd never even thought about it...I've taken cruises before to the eastern caribbean, but this person said because we were going somewhere with tropical rainforests, we should be going to the dr...Do all of you get vaccinations before you go on your cruises?

Any advice is appreciated!

I was just asked last night if I'd gotten my vaccinations yet, to go on my cruise. I'd never even thought about it...I've taken cruises before to the eastern caribbean, but this person said because we were going somewhere with tropical rainforests, we should be going to the dr...Do all of you get vaccinations before you go on your cruises?

First of all "who" asked you? The cruiseline or just a well-meaning friend. Unless you plan on going into the Rain Forest in Panama for an extended period of time, I would not worry about it. The only thing I would suggest is that you make sure your tentus booster is up to date.

If your normal inoculations are up to date I suspect that your doctor will laugh at you when you ask about inoculations for a cruise to those areas.

First of all "who" asked you? The cruiseline or just a well-meaning friend. Unless you plan on going into the Rain Forest in Panama for an extended period of time, I would not worry about it. The only thing I would suggest is that you make sure your tentus booster is up to date.

Actually - it was my daughter's teacher. We were there for an interview, and were telling him about our upcoming trip, and he asked. I thought it was kind of weird!!!

None are necessary. You could get Twinrix (hep A & B) but that is a matter of personal choice, there is absolutely no necessity in having it.

Funny thing I just asked my doctor this same question earlier this week..this is what he said! Other then maybe taking some mild antibiotics for tummy issues(cipro) and maybe some for a infection. That's all I do prior to taking a vacation in another country.

Iv'e been to most of these locations. My mother just got back from 2 weeks in Costa Rica. No vaccinations necessary for travel in any of these areas. don't suggest drinking ANY water in any port. Bring bottled or drink from only bottled water/liquids. Corona is great! :D

I would agree that your tetnus be up to date. Never know.

I just got my flu shot. Good timing as we're going to be around A LOT of germs.

Have a great cruise.

I've spent time in the mountains in Cost Rica on a missions trip ... didn't need any special vaccinations so I doubt you would for a cruise.

I would recommend like the others to make sure you are current on your tetnus shot and the Hep A&B are always a good idea to get.

For the malaria part ... just drink some gin and tonics and call it "medicine." The quinine in the tonic water has been used as an anti-malarial. Bug spray is a smart decision in any place where there are biting/blood feeding insects.

We just went on this itinerary in September and no vaccinations were needed for these countries. We brought bug repellent thinking that the mosquitos were really bad but we never saw one. Have a great time and don't stress out over vaccinations. :)

We've been all over Costa Rica - including deep in the jungle - and we've never had any special vaccinations. I checked with our doctor and he assured us none was required as long as we were up to date on our standard shots.

Only thing my dr. was concerned about was making sure my tetanus shot was up to date. Other than that, he said the risk of malaria is almost nothing on a day trip into port - that you'd have more risk from the meds. Just wear bug repellant.

I did get a pretty good lecture on water in port though, and to check the seals on bottled water or drinks we bought to make sure they were still manufacturer sealed and not refilled by someone trying to make a quick buck. :eek: Apparently a pretty common practice in parts of Mexico and Central America.

No shots needed, but you won't be able to give blood for a year after returning from Costa Rica, Belize or other Central American Countries if you go past the port area.

Odd, I've never heard of donor restrictions for any part of Central America, never even been asked that I recollect, and I'm a 10-gallon plus donor...

To the OP (and others) as a lot of folks have already said, this year's flu shot and current tetanus shots. I've always been told that if you can't remember the date of your last tetanus booster, go ahead and get another.

Hep A&B? If you plan on eating and drinking local food, get 'em. Otherwise, why? They hurt! ADDED: Even that calls for some common sense. A "name" restaurant is probably safe. Bottled beverages? Probably safe. Tap water? LEAVE IT ALONE! Same thing for fruit and veggies from local vendors and stores, unless you have some way to peel and wash them. (in that order)

Archived