Boarding the ship

sboston06

DH and I are leaving for our cruise honeymoon in 2 short weeks! We are leaving from Barcelona and have a quick question. Is there a real benefit to showing up to the port super early when the terminal opens? We can enter the terminal anytime between 11 AM and 5 PM (ship leaves at 7 PM). However, there is a tour in Barcelona that we'd really like to go on, that starts at 11 AM and goes until 3:00. I think we'd have plenty of time to get our luggage and get to the terminal before 4:00, nevermind 5. But so many people get on the ship right as soon as it opens. Any particular reason for that?

THanks!

Most ships will not let you enter until a specific time anyhow. You might want to check with your cruiseline to see when boarding starts. There is also an area here that you can post within the same cruiseline you are going on that can usually tell you when they allow you to board.

DH and I are leaving for our cruise honeymoon in 2 short weeks! We are leaving from Barcelona and have a quick question. Is there a real benefit to showing up to the port super early when the terminal opens? We can enter the terminal anytime between 11 AM and 5 PM (ship leaves at 7 PM). However, there is a tour in Barcelona that we'd really like to go on, that starts at 11 AM and goes until 3:00. I think we'd have plenty of time to get our luggage and get to the terminal before 4:00, nevermind 5. But so many people get on the ship right as soon as it opens. Any particular reason for that?

THanks!

No, there is no reason you have to get the port super early and absolute no benefit for doing so other than maybe being the first to board. Many times you just have to sit around and wait until boarding begins. Even if you are able to board early cabins aren't available until 1:30 so you just have to go the lido cafe for lunch or hang out in one for lounges. As long as you are checked in and onboard the ship by the required time by the cruise line you should be fine for any pre-cruise tours. Have a great honeymoon.

If at all possible, I would consider checking out of your hotel, bringing your luggage to the port to hand over to the porter to be loaded on the ship, then go on your tour.

That way, if you tour runs late, you can go directly to the port from the tour and not have to worry about taking the time to go get luggage.:eek:

It is definately worth it to make the most of your time in Barcelona. It is an amazing city.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Lois

Assuming your cruise uses the main cruise dock in Barcelona (marked by A,B,C and D on this map http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html you would be able to go the specific terminal building just about anytime in the morning...but you would just have to sit until they start processing and boarding which is usually around 11:30. Getting to any of the terminals from a downtown hotel will take no more then 15 min (often less) and taxis are pretty cheap. If you have a safe place to leave your luggage (hopefully your hotel concierge will hold your luggage) there is no reason not to take your tour. The only down-side is that you will miss your lunch on the ship.

Hank

THanks!

When we cruised out of Barcelona we took the city tour first and really enjoyed it. Afterwards we went to the ship. The ship cabins aren't ready until after 1 or 1:30pm anyways so we didn't see any reason to rush over in the morning. Besides we wanted to see Barcelona, its a beautiful city. If your city tour drop off point is close to the ship so you can get there quickly you should be ok. Just make sure you have plenty of time just incase your a few minutes late in getting back from the city tour.

If at all possible, I would consider checking out of your hotel, bringing your luggage to the port to hand over to the porter to be loaded on the ship, then go on your tour.

That way, if you tour runs late, you can go directly to the port from the tour and not have to worry about taking the time to go get luggage.:eek:

It is definately worth it to make the most of your time in Barcelona. It is an amazing city.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Lois

I love this option! The tour we're looking at is a 4 hour bike tour from 11 AM to 3 PM. The ship departs at 7 PM so our goal is to be on board no later than 4:30 (2.5 hours before departure). I think we're going to play it by ear and decide when we get to Barcelona. The bike tour does not require us to book in advance, so we might just do a quick walking tour that morning and then board the ship at noon.

Thank you all for your advice!

Archived