contact lens wearer-eyeliner on the waterline

victoriasmommy

I'm not the biggest make-up girl... but wanna look nice for some pics with bf when we dress up...

my bff is a makeup person. she bought me some MAC pigment powder and a brush... whenever I use this as eyeliner.. its get into my eyes and im miserable.

I've tried a pencil eyeliner, but putting it on the waterline is a big tricky... would it look that terrible to use eyeliner just below the water line? or would that be silly & just leave it off?

sounds like im 14 instead 24 here....

it's the part above the bottom lashes..

__15_After_JetSet.jpg

I've only used gel liner or pencil to do the waterline.. but I usually have a hard time getting it to stick so I do use the eyeliner on the lower lash line most of the time. I don't think it looks bad..

I recommend you experiment before you go and see if you like putting it on the lower lash line.

but i wear contacts and i get the running part, pencils really are the easiest but this is a very old school trick , if you light a lighter and run it over the pencil, it softens the tip, it wont burn you, it just warms it, then it will slide on your eyes easily and should end the problems but try it at home first.

I have no idea why anyone wants to put eyeliner on the inside of their eyelid, doesn't that just make your eyes look smaller? Plus, the fact that wearing contacts makes your eyes water more than average (at least mine do) it would just make the corners of your eyes have black (or brown) goo or crust in them all the time.

I use waterproof eyeliner, under my lower lashes and follow up with a tiny bit of powdered shadow on a slanted brush over it, to soften the color. I'm a bunch older than you as well, so I don't dare wear black eyeliner.

Why not try it both ways and take some pics of yourself, upload them and take a closer look. Seeing it on your computer screen may give you a better idea of how it really looks rather than just in a mirror. I know I've thrown out nail polish colors and given clothes to the Goodwill after seeing pics of myself in them.

We should all have huge 3-way mirrors like in the nicer department stores in our homes...plus natural lighting! Then we could see what everyone else sees ;)

If I want to line out the inner eye, I use a soft kohl eye pencil (YSL)with a good point. I close my eye and stick the pencil into my eye(!) at the inner edge then just pull it back through the closed lids and hey presto a line top and bottom! P.S. Make sure there are no splinters on the pencil. It really is not as painful as it sounds. Must say I tend not to do this much now cos it does make the eye look smaller.

I wear contacts, but my eyes do not water like the previous poster stated.

I vary my make-up approach depending on my mood. Sometimes I do the water line, sometimes only from the outer crease to the middle of my iris, and sometimes... no waterline and only go over the bottom lashes with my pencil.

I use a brown pencil from Rimmel which is already soft.

In order to do the waterline correctly, you need to be using a kohl liner. Many eyeliners are waterproof and will not work because it is your "Waterline".

Yes, rimming the waterline does make your eyes smaller; however, it is needed if you are going for the smoky eye look.

If you are not going for a smoky eye, going right at the lash line is perfect using either a pencil or an eyeliner brush with shadow.

Hope that helps.

In order to do the waterline correctly, you need to be using a kohl liner. Many eyeliners are waterproof and will not work because it is your "Waterline".

Yes, rimming the waterline does make your eyes smaller; however, it is needed if you are going for the smoky eye look.

If you are not going for a smoky eye, going right at the lash line is perfect using either a pencil or an eyeliner brush with shadow.

Hope that helps.

smoky eye is sexy for sure.

The waterline (eyelid margin) of your eye contains oil glands that help keep your eyes moist. It seems like putting makeup over them would clog them up.

A lighter to warm up a pencil? Just hold the tip of your pencil between your fingers for a minute, your body heat should be sufficient!

My eye doctor specifically told me that I should never put makeup on my waterline, and the last person who did makeup for me, said the same thing. One was for medical reasons, one for aesthetic reasons....

There are probably lots of things we shouldn't do and if we knew the risks we'd be horrified - I suppose sticking my Kohl pencil in my eye ranks up there with " probably shouldn'ts" My trick was taught to me by an Arab friend of mine - she used powdered kohl , spit and a wooden toothpick! The kohl is supposed to act as an antiseptic for the eye, but I'm not sure where the spit figures in that equation! She did have the most beautiful eyes, though.

Another contact lens wearer here. Actually I just use my contacts to put my makeup on (extremely far-sighted) then switch to glasses. My eye doc told me not to use eyeliner this way as it causes too many problems for me. Besides, it caused some of the liner to gather in the corners of my eyes, not exactly flattering.

I'm not about to leave the house without makeup so I found a trick that works very well for me. I like liquid eyeliner best as I've found it stays on a lot longer. Mac is one of the best. I make tiny dots with the tip of the applicator but I do it right IN the lash line. Then smudge it a bit. Works like a charm.

Love this thread.....I have just started to wear eyeliner on the inside of my lash but it all wears off.....I found that the Mac Powerpoint liner (I think it is waterproof but it doesn't smudge at all) stays on longer then my Urban Decay Waterproof glide on pencil which does wear off slowly.

I have also used the Urban Decay 25/7 Glide eyeliner on the waterline. It works pretty darn well for me. I did it today (I had a presentation to do) - put it on at 6:00am and it is still looking good at 8:00pm. Between my Urban Decay colors (best selection I've seen) and some of the basic MAC colors I have, both seem to work. I wear a contact in one eye and had a lens replacement in the other. So far, the Urban Decay and MAC have not caused any irritation.

That being said, I only do the underline when I want to look a little bit made up. Usually, it's just some liner on my upper lids and Blinc Kiss Me mascara in the purple.

I'll throw something else in there...permanent eyeliner. I'm not a huge makeup person at all, but it has been the best thing for me. I had the upper and lower lid done, right in the lash line. It really didn't hurt very much and it looks perfect all the time, after shower, crying, etc. Before getting this done, I would cover the waterline. I can still do this, or add to the permanent line to make it more dramatic. I can't wait to save makeup time on my cruise in two weeks...and have no smudging or running at the pool.

I have used Tarte too and I like them quite a bit. I also have tried a new Tarte gel like liner that came with a kit and I love it and the brush that comes with it is tiny so I can get precise with it. I attened two funerals on the same day this past friday and it lasted through all the tears..which was a lot.

As for making the eyes look smaller, I guess it depends on how you apply it. Some only go as far as half way and then use a light color on the corner of the eye to make it look brighter. It's all in how you do it I guess and what look your going for.

I used to be a professional dancer, and we would line the waterline with pale blue for photos because it makes the white of your eye look whiter. On a daily basis we would just sweat it off though.

As a contact lens wearer, my doc told me never to do this with lenses in because of the risk of infection.

I'll throw something else in there...permanent eyeliner. I'm not a huge makeup person at all, but it has been the best thing for me. I had the upper and lower lid done, right in the lash line. It really didn't hurt very much and it looks perfect all the time, after shower, crying, etc. Before getting this done, I would cover the waterline. I can still do this, or add to the permanent line to make it more dramatic. I can't wait to save makeup time on my cruise in two weeks...and have no smudging or running at the pool.

I had this done too and love it! :DThen a few months later I had my lips done (just color not liner). All I need to carry is lip gloss! I chose a pink so could wear red lipstick if I needed to.

• 1 year later...

two things...

always run a clean finger over the waterline first, so that it is dry before applying.

and always, let the makeup sit for a while........then put your super clean contacts in. make sure they are super clean with clean hands so that there is no fuss once they are in....cuz if there's a tiny piece of dust......there goes your makeup job!

also........go to youtube and see what others do. great tutorials are there, and you are bound to find the best one for you.

Experiment before cruise day!

I only just learned about 2 weeks ago that people actually put eyeliner there. I don't see the point. It will smudge off in minutes or get in my eye and clump up near my tear duct.

I always line under the lashes and it can be lightly smudged for impact. Seems common for redheads (like me) to prefer to line the lower lids and not the upper for some odd reason.

but i wear contacts and i get the running part, pencils really are the easiest but this is a very old school trick , if you light a lighter and run it over the pencil, it softens the tip, it wont burn you, it just warms it, then it will slide on your eyes easily and should end the problems but try it at home first.

I used do that back in the 80. As I got older I realized that just wasn't very healthy for my eyes and switched to a fine dark line immediately under thelower lashes and over the upper lashes and it looks just fine.

Archived