Brazilian Blowout Review (long)

cruise kitty

Finally had my Brazilian Blowout done yesterday. I hesitate to say a hair treatment can be life changing, but this one just might be! My dry, frizzy hair has been transformed to pure silk that blow dries in less than ten minutes, perfectly smooth. No tugging, no straightening, didn't even need to use a brush on it as I dried it this morning.

So here's the process:

About me & my hair: I'm 43, my hair is medium brown, about 5 or 6 inches below my shoulders, hits right around my back bra strap. I don't color it or anything, so it's pretty much 'virgin hair'. I have long layers around my face. My hair gets horrid in any kind of humidity, (think finger in light socket) & has alot of loose curl & waves.

I paid $200, & it took just under 3 hours.

First my hair was washed with a clarifying shampoo, 3 times & rinsed till it was squeaky clean.

Now she began applying the product, she used a super fine comb & a paint brush to coat every strand, in tiny sections, kind of like when woman get their hair highlighted I guess, next she blow dried it (with the product still in) Once it was dry it already was smoother & silkier.

Now came the flat iron; she used the fine tooth comb to separate tiny sections and ironed it for a long time. I could see the steam coming off my hair as the product sealed in, but there was no smell or fumes...(the station they use for their BB's has a large vent fan above it) By the time she was done, my hair was super straight, super bouncy, & super shiny. A little over two hours had gone by already. It looked so great, but now it was time to wash it out:(

She rinsed my hair & applied the deep conditioner, left it on for about 5 minutes (at this point my cuticle is so sealed, it really can't absorb much conditioner) Another good rinsing, & it was time for the final blow dry & result.

She blow dried it just using her fingers & the warm setting. I couldn't believe the results, She turned the ends under with a round brush to finish it off.

The real test was this morning when I did my hair myself. (there is no wait period, you can wash your hair right away) Washed it with a sulfa free shampoo, used the BB conditioner, towel dried, combed it, & let it air dry while I had my coffee till it was just barely damp. I used my trusty round brush to finish it off with a quick blow dry (maybe 3 to 4 minutes)

It's a little after 2 here, & my hair still looks great, but the thing I can't get over is how quick & easy it was, no struggling for an hour and a half with serums, & sprays, & conditioners, & blow dryers & flat irons, only to have in look like a rat's nest half way through the day!

Reaction from DH has been very positive, he can't stop touching my hair!

So was it worth the $200? For me the answer is yes. I figure this is saving me a good 7 hours a week! I'll continue to get my $9 haircuts every 10 weeks at the cut & go, but you can bet that every 4 months or so I'll be going back to the real salon for this. (that's how long she said it would last with my type of hair)

I'm so looking forward to our cruise in about 10 days, to be able to get ready for dinner in record time & not have to wear a ponytail 24/7 is going to be a blessing!

Any questions, please ask away:)

Thanks so much for the report.

I've been wanting to do this, but I have a narrow face and need to be able to have volume, which I create with my blow dryer.

Would you be able to create volume if you wanted to? Or does the hair hang totally straight and close to the head?

Do you know which brand of products they used?

I'd also love for you to give us an update in a couple of months to let us know how it's holding up.

Thanks!

Hi Jane,

It was the Brazilian Blowout brand, (not blowdry, that's a knock off) The stylist said to always ask to see the bottles, & if they tell you to wait to wash your hair that you're getting the wrong treatment.

When I left the salon, my hair was very flat on the top of my head, because she just dried it using her fingers, & sort of turned the ends under with a round brush.

When I washed it & dried it myself I used my big round brush to give it volume at the crown, worked perfectly. My hair is very 'swishy' now, for lack f a better term, I can still curl it, & style it, it's just that all the frizz is gone & doesn't tangle any more, & it's super shiny.:)

I am into my second month with my BB. It has changed my life. My hair was not finger-in-socket frizzy but definitely sensitive to any humidity. I was really stressing what to do with it next year on our first cruise. I used to check the weather channel every day. Now I don't care. Once it grows out a bit you can get more volume. Best money I EVER spent.

I am into my second month with my BB. It has changed my life. My hair was not finger-in-socket frizzy but definitely sensitive to any humidity. I was really stressing what to do with it next year on our first cruise. I used to check the weather channel every day. Now I don't care. Once it grows out a bit you can get more volume. Best money I EVER spent.

April, isn't it amazing? If the weather was perfect, my hair would look great, but bring on the least bit of moisture, & I looked like a poof ball. What amazes me is that when I go running at night, I come back with perfect hair, & we live not far from the coast, so our nights are damp! It's freaky really, but the best money I ever spent.

Hi Jane,

It was the Brazilian Blowout brand, (not blowdry, that's a knock off) The stylist said to always ask to see the bottles, & if they tell you to wait to wash your hair that you're getting the wrong treatment.

When I left the salon, my hair was very flat on the top of my head, because she just dried it using her fingers, & sort of turned the ends under with a round brush.

When I washed it & dried it myself I used my big round brush to give it volume at the crown, worked perfectly. My hair is very 'swishy' now, for lack f a better term, I can still curl it, & style it, it's just that all the frizz is gone & doesn't tangle any more, & it's super shiny.:)

GREAT info. Thanks!

I'm going on a 2 night cruise on Monday and wish I had time to have it done before the.

Then the following week, I'm going on another 2 nighter. Maybe I can get it done between cruises? That would be fab. :)

Loved my Brazilian Blowout....spendy, yes.....but, well worth it for me, too.

I have very long thick hair......best hair days of my life. Lasted the exact 12 weeks.....time for another one..............Dear Santa: I've been good :D

Dreaming of Floating............................................

I forgot to say...I am not using the BB shampoo & conditioner. The hairstylist who did it recommended the Enjoy hydrating and sulphate free brand. Less $. It works great and the shampoo lathers nicely, not all of them do. I just tried the BB mask and I have to say it really refreshed my BB nicely.

Thank you for this information!

I have been debating about doing this, and even asked my hairdresser about it.

My hair is just like yours, great if there is no humidity, but if there is the slightest moisture in the air, all of the work straightening it is gone. When I exericise, the roots get frizzy and the ends are ok, boy does that look crazy! And my hair is really thick, some strands coarse, some thin and straight. So it takes FOREVER to straighten and style.

I wash it every other day, and try to let it air dry, then style it the next morning, but it still is a MESS.

My hairdresser said I shouldn't do the BB as it damages and dries out hair.?? Not sure how, and if someone can enlighten me, I would be thankful. I would think all of the straightening and hot irons/blowdrying I do to it now would be worse for it.

Anyway, if she won't do the BB for me, I guess I'll find someone who will!

Thanks again!

Back from my cruise, & boy was this a life saver! Embarkation day was crazy weather, pouring rain, high wind gusts, I almost wish I'd bought my embark photo, I was wet, but hair looked ok! by the time we'd finally got to our state room it had dried, & looked nice! Not straight, because my hair is naturally wavy, but smooth & frizz free. DH was thrilled that instead of the usual hour and half that I take from shower to out the door, I was usually ready in about 40 minutes, my hair took maybe ten minutes after it was washed, I blow-dried it, stuck in a couple of big hot rollers, & it was done!

To chez gal-

I understand the Brazilian Keratin Treatment does dry out hair, the Brazilian blowout does not, it's sort of like a super deep conditioner, if you aren't allowed to wash your hair same day, then it's not the blowout & I wouldn't do it!

Thanks Cruise Kitty, maybe my stylist is thinking of the wrong Brazilian treatment? and maybe she isn't doing her research...I'll keep bugging her to get certified so I can have it done.

Thanks again, this only makes me want to have it done more!

Sounds like your hair is a lot like mine. Would love to be frizz free!

• 3 weeks later...

I have thick flyaway hair. Did the brazilian keratin over 4 months ago and it has been wonderful. The hairdresser said to wait three days before washing. My hair is soft, shiney, doen't need to be blown or flat-ironed. I use the Keratin shampoo and conditioner from the salon and have had no problems. It makes mornings so much simpler.

I've had the Coppola Keratin Treatment done twice now and will soon get my third one. They are AWESOME! I think the methods are very similar. The only negative is that I'm afraid to go underwater in the pool because I don't want the treatment to wear out faster. However, I was told that if I slather on some of the special non sulfate conditioner first, the chlorine won't harm my hair. It is seriously amazing to have gorgeous sleek hair every day pretty much straight out of the shower.

Oregon has passed a temporary ban on "most" straightening products until May , 2011. I have the list of ingrediants that are banned, but it boils down to formaldyhe and all of it's other sneaky names. I went through all of my products at work, and only had a few things to take off the shelf. But our shop is not really "edgy", very small rural town.

Oregon State Board is very strict in all of it's rules and regs. for anything to do with hair, nails, skin, etc. etc. I have rarely done straightening, and was out of those products anyway. Back to the flat iron.

I've had the Coppola Keratin Treatment done twice now and will soon get my third one. They are AWESOME! I think the methods are very similar. The only negative is that I'm afraid to go underwater in the pool because I don't want the treatment to wear out faster. However, I was told that if I slather on some of the special non sulfate conditioner first, the chlorine won't harm my hair. It is seriously amazing to have gorgeous sleek hair every day pretty much straight out of the shower.

How often do you have to have it done? And how long does the process take?

Thanks!

I love it! I washed it for the first time today (only because it was washed twice on Monday) and I couldn't get over how quick and easy it was to style. I do wish I had a little more volume at the crown but i will experiment with Velcro rollers or my round brush a little more.

We leave on the 7th for our cruise and I cannot wait for my hassle free hair! Oh and the sun and the rum punch :D

The BB was my best Christmas gift ever!

I saw a Dateline report about this hair treatment. They said it contained formaldehyde. Can cause some problems. I would be careful and research this product.

I believe there are 2 different treatments, Brazilian Blowout and Brazilian Blow-dry. Blow-dry bing the one with formaldehyde. It is the knock-off that dries the hair and can ruin it, where Blowout is the keratin treatment that nourishes hair.

I may be wrong, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am. :D

Not sure how accurate this article is but it states that the Brazilian Blowout does in fact contain formaldehyde~ again not sure how accurate this article is but its a good read~

http://fashionista.com/2010/10/the-brazilian-blowout-allegedly-contains-a-lot-of-formaldehyde-what-does-this-mean-for-the-future-of-hair-straightening-we-asked-an-organic-chemist/

I was just wondering why you do not like wearing your hair curly? I have curly hair.

Curly/wavy is cute. A frizzy rats nest (my hair before blow out, on a humid day) is not;). It's been almost 3 months and this is the best thing I've ever done, I'll be getting it again in Feb.

Curly/wavy is cute. A frizzy rats nest (my hair before blow out, on a humid day) is not;). It's been almost 3 months and this is the best thing I've ever done, I'll be getting it again in Feb.

Ditto.

Looks like I stuck my finger in a light socket on humid days. Not a "cute" look at all. :eek:

mine is going on 4 months and still looking good... I'll get it done again in Feb. also... love it!!!.... bring it on!

Archived