First time cruise, activities suggestions, tips

DrNex

Hi,

I know you guys probably hate these types of threads, but I'm a first-time cruiser and kind of lost.

I've already booked a cabin (cove balcony) on the Carnival Dream 9-night holiday cruise from Dec 23 2010 to Jan 1 2011. I did read a bit about the Dream and am hoping that the smell will not be an issue?

The ports of call are Nassau, Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, and Isla Roatan. Can someone point in the right direction re: what activities I should book, whether through Carnival or otherwise?

Also, what tips do you suggest for taking advantage of our cruise to the fullest extent (e.g., shipboard activities, etc.)

Thanks!!!

I have not sailed Carnival so can't comment specifically on that ship, nor on most of the posts of call. But I can comment on how to best get the most out of your cruise.

Put aside all of your preconceived notions. Read the daily newsletter and try everything. Go to the shows; leave if you don't enjoy them. Try different foods. Walk on the deck late at night under the stars, and early in the morning when the sun is coming up. Stay up late and get up early. Enjoy breakfast on your balcony or on an upper deck. Talk to people you wouldn't normally socialize with. Dance. Sing karaoke. Listen to music. Play a trivia game. Look for the stars late at night when there isn't any ambient light. Just generally soak it all in because a cruise is what you make it. :)

My advice is not to worry about trying to do everything. Just look over the daily newsletter (you should get it the night before when the steward does the turn down service) and see what interests you. Pick out a few activities. If you feel like just kicking back one afternoon, then do that. Don't stress out over it.

As for excursions, don't stress over that too. You don't have to do "something" in each port. We usually don't book excursions, but look around and check out a few attractions from my research. But I would recommend going with excursions booked through Carnival if you are unfamiliar with a port. Don't book something at the pier -- you won't know anything about the outfit.

What excursions/activities you do will depend on what interests you! If you don't love snorkeling, for instance, don't book snorkel excursions!

Get a guidebook on your ports--libraries have them, or buy one at a bookstore--and find out what is in each country! THEN, you can decide what you'd like to do/see in each place!

Each cruise line offers a variety of tours in each port. Their aim is to have something for everyone and to have everyone book a tour with them. Look over the list of tours for each port and find the ones that appeal to you.

You may also want to join the Roll Call for your cruise. There you can meet people sailing with you. Often there will be people planning private tours and looking for others to join them.

To join, go to the boards menu and scroll down to Roll Calls. Click on your cruise line. Then click on your ship. Finally, click on the thread for your sailing.

Each cruise line offers a variety of tours in each port. Their aim is to have something for everyone and to have everyone book a tour with them. Look over the list of tours for each port and find the ones that appeal to you.

You may also want to join the Roll Call for your cruise. There you can meet people sailing with you. Often there will be people planning private tours and looking for others to join them.

To join, go to the boards menu and scroll down to Roll Calls. Click on your cruise line. Then click on your ship. Finally, click on the thread for your sailing.

The advice from Patty about not trying to do everything is the best. There is so much to see and do that there is no way to see/do everything you will want to.

There are many activities at all of your ports of call. From zip lining to beach breaks to just shopping and hanging out. Some people have an active excursion booked for every port others are explore-on-your-own types.

As far as alcohol, rum runners seem to have a good success rate. (We don't use them.) Realize up front that if they are detected the contents will be dumped. I've never heard of any other penalty other than the loss of your liquor.

Charlie

Also, what tips do you suggest ..... (e.g., shipboard activities, etc.)

Thanks!!!

You have gotten the best tip with joining the Roll Call for your cruise.

I would also suggest that you go to the Ports of Call area and check out those threads. You will find others sharing their experiences with each port. After reading, ask away on those specific boards.

Don't feel like you have to be off the ship the entire time it is in port. On our first cruise we all decided to get up and take morning excursions. This worked out well for us. We were back in time for lunch and in most ports got off again in the afternoon to shop or just poke around in the nearby area. There was also time to nap or hang out at the pool. It can get very hot in the Caribbean and we were all glad we weren't going nonstop for the entire day.

I've never had an issue with my own alcohol. Small bottles, packed well into some clothes in your luggage, not your carry on. I've travelled with some that do large bottles, but I guess it just depends how much risk you want to take. I'll be on the Dream with you, see you then.

Archived