CNN released an article on why not to cruise

Animal 57

Recently, I came across an article, on the CNN opinion poll page by Robert Reid, titled, “To cruise or not to cruise”.*In this article Mr. Reid, though trying to play the political neutral, certainly asserted an argument that cruise vacations were “floating malls, Vegas on water, with structured camplike activities, and dodgy food” and “a place to receive 1,500 professional smiles form people who clearly dislike you”.*Additionally, Mr. Reid, went so far as to suggest that cruise vacations are nothing more then B-rated vacations for the travel novice.*This article went so far as to suggest that cruise ships also use bait and switch tactics to get you on board by advertising low rates, but then charge you multiple times what you expected once on board.

I can appreciate Mr. Reid’s opinion and although timing of this type of article in light of the Carnival Splendor’s recent fire at sea seems opportunistic at best.*However, I could not disagree with the assertions and arguments set forth in the CNN article more.*Now, let’s be very clear about the facts relative to cruisers such as myself.*As Mr. Reid correctly points out, we are a very loyal bunch.*We do often look for great deals on traveling, as many others do.*However, we are not budget travelers.*We do not blindly book a cruise and ignore other vacation opportunities.*For example, I have taken part in 3 separate trips to Walt Disney World with my family over the past 4 years, and have spent huge sums of money on these trips.*I have also cruised on board the Disney Magic and have found these vacations to both offer great value added services, a wonderful time and experience with my young daughter and wife.*Moreover, Mr. Reid, it should be noted, I incurred many expenses that though I anticipated, were fees I paid after my arrival in both situations.

Using Disney World or recent trips I have taken to all-inclusive vacation resorts in the Caribbean as a bench mark, I can tell you that though I do not know nor frankly care if the hosts actually like me or not, I received more smiles in those destinations then any of my 15+ cruises over the past decade.*With all due respect to Mr. Ried and his opinion, the expectation that I have as a cruise guest is to receive friendly service with a great deal of attention and an eye for detail.*I can not speak for every cruise line or resort, but I have only on one occasion in over 15 cruises had a negative experience with a room steward.

The funny thing about Mr. Reid’s article is that after making numerous negative comments about cruising he goes on to recommend traveling by rail.*In all honesty, I have never vacationed by train, but I have taken the trip from Delray Beach Florida to Boston one time, and I can state with the outmost certainty, this is a trip I will never do again.*It was cramped, there were no activities or food equal to the quality one might find on even the “budget friendly” Carnival cruise line.*I did not have a private room, a comfortable bed, private balcony to gaze out upon the sea, stops at locations allowing me to engage in conversation with the locals or tour new area or any other of the aspects of a cruise that I and my family have come to love.*

It is fair to say, that I have concluded that a cruise vacation is a wonderful and enjoyable trip for me and my family, and would highly recommend it to anyone who has never tried it.*As with any vacation though, each is a personal decision and a preference based upon what you and your family find important.*I for one, have a cruise booked on NCL in the coming months and await it with great anticipation and excitement.

I would think Mr. Reid would put all-inclusive resorts and Disney World in exactly the same category as cruise ships.

They all do everything they can to isolate the customer from reality.

Of course, that is exactly what many people are looking for on vacation.

Another reason to NOT listen to or read anything CNN says or writes. :cool:

Kirk

Communist News Network, where truth and facts have little to no priority when reporting on anything.

Thankfully, no one pays any attention to them.

Recently, I came across an article, on the CNN opinion poll page by Robert Reid, titled, “To cruise or not to cruise”.*In this article Mr. Reid, though trying to play the political neutral, certainly asserted an argument that cruise vacations were “floating malls that's the way the industry is going with these huge ships, especially the new RCI ones, Vegas on water Carnival, with structured camplike activities newlywed games, trivia, karaoke, you name it, and dodgy food other than specialty restaurants, that's what you are getting” and “a place to receive 1,500 professional smiles form people who clearly dislike you going a bit overboard on that one - no different than hotel workers”.*Additionally, Mr. Reid, went so far as to suggest that cruise vacations are nothing more then B-rated vacations for the travel novice.*This article went so far as to suggest that cruise ships also use bait and switch tactics to get you on board by advertising low rates, but then charge you multiple times what you expected once on board get YOU on board? nobody is advertising these as all inclusives and people who don't realize that are the problem.

It's all about expectations.

We all have different preferences and expectations and opinions, I don't think any of them are wrong.

When co-workers start talking about their trailers and camping trips, I cringe. When people reminisce about backpacking throughout Europe, I'm interested but I wouldn't ever do it myself. When anyone discusses a road trip with days/weeks in a car or RV I want to go hide, it's all I can do to keep a positive face, I loathe the thought of more than 2 hours on the road (or even in an airplane).

Cruising is a good fit for some of us. I have to agree the food isn't fabulous (to me), but I don't have to cook it or clean up, so I enjoy the dinners. The cabins are small, but plenty of space once you get unpacked, especially if you are fortunate enough to have a balcony. A person can avoid all the extra costs, all the announcements, all the other things he mentioned...if they really want to.

We have had wonderful service and I truly think there are people working on the ship who are happy to be there. Of course, it depends on how you treat them, some of the pleasantries may have to be forced from crew and staff for the more sourpuss passengers.

We've cruised enough to know how to get around the extra expense (exception, wine, we love wine with dinner). We don't shop, gamble, drink many sodas, buy art and usually just get one photo per trip. If we choose an expensive shore excursion, we understand it would cost us that amount even if we were taking the excursion from a land hotel...so I don't include that expense in the cruise fare.

I have no idea why this article was written after just one incident where no one was harmed or lost their life, merely inconvenienced for a couple days. Perhaps the author doesn't care for cruising (would love to know if he has actually been on a cruise :confused::rolleyes:) and has a bone to pick. I hope if this is the case, he has picked it clean and can now go on with his life.

We all have different preferences and expectations and opinions, I don't think any of them are wrong.

When co-workers start talking about their trailers and camping trips, I cringe. When people reminisce about backpacking throughout Europe, I'm interested but I wouldn't ever do it myself. When anyone discusses a road trip with days/weeks in a car or RV I want to go hide, it's all I can do to keep a positive face, I loathe the thought of more than 2 hours on the road (or even in an airplane). We've cruised enough to know how to get around the extra expense (exception, wine, we love wine with dinner). We don't shop, gamble, drink many sodas, buy art and usually just get one photo per trip. If we choose an expensive shore excursion, we understand it would cost us that amount even if we were taking the excursion from a land hotel...so I don't include that expense in the cruise fare. I have no idea why this article was written after just one incident where no one was harmed or lost their life, merely inconvenienced for a couple days. Perhaps the author doesn't care for cruising (would love to know if he has actually been on a cruise :confused::rolleyes:) and has a bone to pick. I hope if this is the case, he has picked it clean and can now go on with his life.

Nicely done ... I could have written this myself. What Mr. Reid fails to address, however, is the fact that a cruise is the only vacation that many folks can afford. Two people can spend a week away for under $1000, including meals, entertainment, and stops at places they otherwise couldn't visit. It's the very reason that the industry has grown the way it has. It's a wonderful family experience, as well. Kids love cruising, and the cost isn't anywhere near that of a land-based vacation. On a morbid note, I'm certain that planes crash more often than cruise ships go dead in the water.

CNN is so phony and biased, that I only watch them when it's absolutely necessary. It's all about the money, and playing off the recent Splendor fire to get more viewers, get more commercial sponsors, thus raising their profit!! I remember when you use to could trust what the newsman said without a second thought, now you have to think twice!!!

I found the article an interest read. Like all things on the internet you read and think it thru.

Of course his writing comes from one point of view that is not shared by many others.

I for one can see his point, don't agree or disagree but do know given a choice I cruise maybe once every year or every other year and do a lot of other things for many of the reasons he sites. I also have very close friends that I vacation with that we have a blast but have cruised and will NEVER cruise for the exact reasons stated in the article, to each his own. Why people slam CNN just because they don't like it is funny, just don't read it.

If you think cnn is biased and full of bull try FOX news. They will give you the right wing load of bull. I rememember when you could turn on the evening news and get the news not opinions. The local news seems to be closer to that then the networks. I find that if you want to have a great cruise you can and you can have a terrible cruise if that is what your looking for. It's all in the attitude. I must admit some of my 40+ cruises have been better than others but I have never had a BAD one.

Let us be a little fairer to Robert Reid and CNN. This thread attributes to him the views of people he quoted in a generally positive column about cruising in the aftermath of the Carnival mess.

He wrote of concerns about cruising: "Another big one is whether anyone should bother taking a cruise in the first place. Already, cruises tend to be smeared by the 'rea' travel community as floating malls, Vegas on water, with structured camplike activities, dodgy food and, as writer David Foster Wallace called it, '1,500 professional smiles' from people "who clearly dislike you."

Reid goes on to resent a much m ore positive view of cruisers and cruising. You'll find the piece at http://articles.cnn.com/2010-11-16/opinion/reid.cruise.travel_1_cruise-ships-cruise-lines-international-association-carnival-splendor?_s=PM:OPINION

The "real" travel community seems to be coming around to the beauty of cruising. Only in her fifth or sixth season on the Travel Channel did Samantha Brown get around to taking a cruise, and now she loves it.

If you think cnn is biased and full of bull try FOX news. They will give you the right wing load of bull. I rememember when you could turn on the evening news and get the news not opinions. The local news seems to be closer to that then the networks. I find that if you want to have a great cruise you can and you can have a terrible cruise if that is what your looking for. It's all in the attitude. I must admit some of my 40+ cruises have been better than others but I have never had a BAD one.

Well, lets all get political and announce if we are left wing or what?

Two things not to discuss in public, religion and politics...unless you want to alienate half the people you are talking to.

Let us be a little fairer to Robert Reid and CNN. This thread attributes to him the views of people he quoted in a generally positive column about cruising in the aftermath of the Carnival mess.

He wrote of concerns about cruising: "Another big one is whether anyone should bother taking a cruise in the first place. Already, cruises tend to be smeared by the 'rea' travel community as floating malls, Vegas on water, with structured camplike activities, dodgy food and, as writer David Foster Wallace called it, '1,500 professional smiles' from people "who clearly dislike you."

Reid goes on to resent a much m ore positive view of cruisers and cruising. You'll find the piece at http://articles.cnn.com/2010-11-16/opinion/reid.cruise.travel_1_cruise-ships-cruise-lines-international-association-carnival-splendor?_s=PM:OPINION

The "real" travel community seems to be coming around to the beauty of cruising. Only in her fifth or sixth season on the Travel Channel did Samantha Brown get around to taking a cruise, and now she loves it.

Thank you for posting. This is a very good point and a good lesson for all, myself included. When someone posts an "article" that is actually just a series of statements with no link, you shouldn't be so quick to judge.

In fact, as a poster above mentioned, even if that was the article, I don't think we all need to start bashing CNN. We can all respectfully disagree, and I too think he brings up some interesting points in the article, not that I agree with them, but they're definitely thought-provoking.

Recently, I came across an article, on the CNN opinion poll page by Robert Reid, titled, “To cruise or not to cruise”.*
Whoo-hoo! One less person in front of me in the buffet line!

Seriously, why should we care what one individual thinks about cruising? Is it going to change your opinion or mine? Is it even going to make us stop to pause a moment? I don't think so.

Nicely done ... I could have written this myself. What Mr. Reid fails to address, however, is the fact that a cruise is the only vacation that many folks can afford. Two people can spend a week away for under $1000, including meals, entertainment, and stops at places they otherwise couldn't visit.
I disagree. I could plan a very nice vacation for two for less than $1000 (especially since you're going to have to go off-season and/or in a low-level cabin for that price). Admittedly, another vacation wouldn't hit as many islands in one week, but I don't think of cruising as a budget choice.

Communist News Network, where truth and facts have little to no priority when reporting on anything.

Thankfully, no one pays any attention to them.

I'm happy to say on my cable package I have the choice of a number of news organizations from around the world, including CBC, CTV, BBC, CNN & Al Jazeera.

Didn't read the article, but figured since it's an opinion piece, that's what it is -- an opinion. Whether or not he's been on a cruise would speak to the credibility of his piece and whether someone should consider NOT to take a cruise on that basis is ridiculous.

I have never been on a backpacking trip or camping trip (probably the only person in girl scouts for five years who never went on an overnight or longer camping trip), nor do I have any desire to. But I certainly wouldn't poo poo someone else who likes this type of vacation. After all, different strokes for different folks. But it would be a shame for someone not to go on a cruise just because someone writes about it as if he's familiar about cruise vacations.

I remember about six years ago, a fellow mom at my girl's school had just returned from a family reunion cruise to the Mexican Riviera. I asked how she liked it and she wasn't raving about it. Would rather have flown somewhere and do a land trip. So she probably may never go on another cruise. For me, the ship is the destination and anytime I can go somewhere without the hassle of flying, that's great.

I can have food that's better than food I can cook -- and I don't have to clean up. Already a plus. I can take part in trivia (camplike activities????) and watch production shows. I know what the cruise is going to cost (with a good guess at how much extra we're going to spend). To me, that's not a bait and switch.

Another thing to think about is if Mr. Reid is a travel writer (again, I didn't read the article and don't have a clue why he wrote it other than to pick on cruising), he may get travel comped (or get to deduct expenses from his taxes). So there may be other factors (maybe first class airfare, luxury suites in hotels, etc.) that make his travel so different from our experiences.

If you think FOX news is biased, you should try CNN!!

I don't understand why people get so huffy about a travel writer giving his opinion on a cruise as a vacation.

It reminds me of the other thread someone posted about why they didn't understand people don't cruise.

Everyone has their own opinon, who cares what others think? If you enjoy it, that's all that matters. Go fry some bigger fish instead of attacking the people that don't share your opinion.

I don't understand why people get so huffy about a travel writer giving his opinion on a cruise as a vacation.

It reminds me of the other thread someone posted about why they didn't understand people don't cruise.

Everyone has their own opinon, who cares what others think? If you enjoy it, that's all that matters. Go fry some bigger fish instead of attacking the people that don't share your opinion.

Obviously, some people do care what others think and are prone to respond with their opinions.:eek:

That is what happens on interactive message boards.

Al Jazeera:confused: Then you've got CNN:eek:

Just because a news organization reports on things from a non-american perspective; it doesn't necessarily make them anti-american. Every news organization will slant things slightly toward the bias of the country/region in which their based, but that doesn't make the new invalid. Frankly, the BBC is the best of the bunch; with Fox, CNN and Al Jazeera (in that order) being the least neutral.

Of course there are some news organizations who do it for pure entertainment purposes (see Fox above), which is when it stops being news.

Archived