Pugwash's First voyage on Queen Elizabeth

capnpugwash

We had a lovely dinner tonight, we both started with Lobster Bisque, a Dover sole was my choice, just plain grilled and Mrs P had the shrimps. Very nicely presented as all of the food has been. After dinner we followed our usual practice and my wife went to a theatre production while I returned to the Commodore Club. You meet some really interesting people there and I find that mostly everyone has an interesting story to tell. I met a very nice couple from Scotland who I have mentioned earlier and we chatted for a while and had a few drinks. They are really pleasant company. I was a little tired this evening for some inexplicable reason so I left the bar at 11.30 and made my way along the open deck to the stern entrance. It seems a lot quicker that way rather than walking through the ship’s corridors. Perhaps there is more to look at, certainly you have to be careful and attentive where you tread as the deck is quite iced up, but it is not as bad as it has been.

Tomorrow is the last day and we will have to get the suitcases out and packed. I hate that day, it is so flat everywhere. People are all thinking about the tasks ahead and not wanting to pack or to leave the ship and we are exactly the same. I don’t like 5 day trips although having said that, I wouldn’t have missed this one for all the tea in China.

We are in the English Channel now and the sea is very slight but there is a fair wind blowing and it was very fresh walking along the deck, but quite refreshing just prior to settling down for the night. We will be in Cherbourg tomorrow and who knows what that will hold for us, perhaps we may venture ashore although Mrs P doesn’t have a top coat with her so it is probably unlikely.

More later.

Thanks so much for the interesting trip to all the ports - and your very fine accomodations. The ice on the deck is hopefully not going to last until you depart.

By our transatlantic voyage, things should be warmer. We'll be on with you on June 3rd, 2011.

We went this year in early June and it was in the 40's (F) !! Had never been on a ship in June where we never even used the balcony. Do not want a repeat of that.

All the best and save us a seat in the Commodore, MaryAnn

As we are right at the stern, the shimmying of the ship is exaggerated in our cabin somewhat. I don’t think these Vista class ships sail particularly well so I am not sure that I would like this position on a trip where there was a lot more sea action.

Awww....she's just shaking her moneymaker!! :D;)

We are due to arrive at Cherbourg at around 8am having travelled the fairly short distance from Zeebrugge, it is quite a pleasant town which suffered heavy damage during the Second World War. There are a number of tours today to the D-Day landing beaches and the War Cemeteries which are further around the coast from this town. All very interesting and quite moving. The weather is cold and the sea state is very slight with a stiff wintery breeze. It is not due to get much warmer than freezing today.

As this voyage heads towards closure I would like to address some matters on board that in our view need addressing. The staff is mostly perfect, attentive and willing. Our butler, Prakash seems to us to lack some enthusiasm on some fronts, Mrs P asked him to get some crystallized ginger for her use in the cabin and he correctly pointed out that it was available in the restaurant so she had to get it herself which in itself is minor but what is his role if it isn’t to fetch and carry things that we require. Another small matter is the TV programmes available. There are films and other programmes on most of the day but quite often there is a 30 minute gap between the showings, isn’t it time that TV on demand was available at least in the Suites. As I say these are minor points but they really are irksome.

Is the Queens Grill worth the extra expense? It is very nice but my honest opinion is that it is overpriced and whilst it has been a very enjoyable experience for us, we would not repeat the experience especially in the Q1 suite. A room steward fulfils all of our requirements normally and the free alcohol, sodas and canapés are nice but unnecessary. The suite is far too big for us and whilst it has attractive parts, it really is over the top. The food in the restaurant is very nice but so is the food in the Britannia, they may not warm my teacup or have egg timers to show that the tea is brewed, and they may be responsible for more passengers but the level of service is still very acceptable. Perhaps I am on board too regularly but I prefer quantity over quality. I can do three or four trips in steerage for what I would pay in the Grills, this suits me perfectly. I can understand passengers who will only travel in the more luxurious surroundings of the Grills, but it isn’t key to my enjoyment. Chacun a son gout, as they say in Cherbourg.

More later.

It is a very grey day, about 2 degrees Celsius with rain showers, not the ideal sightseeing weather. 4 of our table companions are going to see the Bayeux Tapestry which is a 90 minute drive away so they have a 5 hour trip ahead of them. It is a very interesting artefact and we have seen it before as we used to holiday in France each summer on the campsites. These are normally maintained to an excellent standard in Europe and have great facilities for the whole family to enjoy. That is enough of a plug for them!

We just had our breakfast which was very nice, Eggs Benedict really hits the spot and of course it is something that we never have at home. We have just received our baggage tags for disembarkation tomorrow and it looks that we will be off by 8.30am. Breakfast is from 6.30 until 8am and then we are supposed to wait in the QG lounge until we are called down to get off. I normally prefer to go down earlier and lurk in the Champagne Bar area so that I am close to the exit and don’t have the lift problem with 100 people trying to get into the lifts when given the instruction to leave. It just seems easier and less stressful.

But let’s not wish today away. Mrs P wants to go to some on board quizzes this morning and I would like to get a little gift for our kids at home, a couple of tee-shirts would suffice but of course the shops are closed as we are in port and won’t open until 6.30pm tonight when we are due to sail, I don’t know why they have that rule but they always do and it is strictly enforced.

More later.

Jim,

when we were in QG earlier this month, we had a rather nice Argentinian white with our lunch, but we forgot to take a note of what it was.

Norm thinks there was only about three on the listing and he would recognise it again if he saw it, so would you mind jotting down what they are, and the vintage, so that I can see if I can source a few bottle for him?

Really enjoyed reading about your trip. I agree with you that it is lovely to try, but the expense makes it prohibitive and I would rather have a few more trips in our normal cabins.

Safe journey home.

Jane x

I have just ventured out on our balcony and it is running in water and quite chilly but we are moored next to an old gun emplacement from WW2 on the end of a long mole. They have built a cruise terminal on this promontory and moored just behind it is a large submarine named “The Redoutable”. This is a strange spelling of the name so I am unsure if it’s French, American or from somewhere else altogether, but it is massive and looks as though it is still operational, who knows. QE is secured to the dockside by 7 ropes which are obviously brand new and they are a lovely light blue in colour which in a couple of years will be washed out and they will look like all the other ship’s ropes. Shame really as they look very jolly.

There is an enormous marina at Cherbourg, about 1000 yachts of various sizes; I am reminded of a friend on mine who tells of the two happiest days of owning a boat, the day that you buy it and the day that you sell it! In between it is, he says, a hole in the water that you throw large amounts of money into. It gives a whole different perspective to boat ownership!

We are just off to the quiz in the Pub, too early for a drink but I must get the brain cells working so coffee is the order of the day, I think. The quiz was one of these with numbers and letters where the answers are well known phrases; an example is 18HOAGC which means 18 holes on a golf course. We managed 17 out of 20 which proved to be a winning score so we collected 2 prize vouchers which can be exchanged for some low value prize this evening. We probably qualify for a bookmark or a pack of cards or something similar. Better than nothing maybe, but it is a close run thing.

More later.

Jim,

when we were in QG earlier this month, we had a rather nice Argentinian white with our lunch, but we forgot to take a note of what it was.

Norm thinks there was only about three on the listing and he would recognise it again if he saw it, so would you mind jotting down what they are, and the vintage, so that I can see if I can source a few bottle for him?

Really enjoyed reading about your trip. I agree with you that it is lovely to try, but the expense makes it prohibitive and I would rather have a few more trips in our normal cabins.

Safe journey home.

Jane x

Jane, I take it the patient is better!

SANTA FLORENTINA FROM FAMATINA VALLEY $29.50

CATENA ALTA CHARDONNAY FROM MENDOZA $52.00

GRAN LURTON FROM MENDOZA $44.00

BODEGAS LURTON FROM MENDOZA $34.00

Hope this helps

Jim

xXx

Cap'n as ever an excellent post and most enjoyable reading. You comment on Q1 cruising are similar to mine when I had the fortune to be upgraded to Club on QM2. An excellent cruise but the cost of club is way to prohibitive compared with cruising on say, deck 11 and Brittania dining. We did the Christmas Markets cruise on the maiden QV, it was also very cold:D.

The lack of Chart Room on QE, imo can easilly be overcome. In Cafe Carinthia, there is a section which currently has two illuminated glass panels and is adjacent to the stairs. I am sure this could have easilly been sectioned with glass panels, al la chart room, and servced from Cafe Carinthia. I found it a pleasant area when I was on board.

It is 12.30 and the snow has just started to fall, it is quite heavy but isn’t currently settling, I hope that it doesn’t stretch over to England or if it does I would be grateful if it cleared by tomorrow morning. It is very pretty but not when it hangs around and goes all dirty and slushy. It only snowed heavily for about 35 minutes and then stopped as quickly as it started. It is still very cold, damp and murky.

I had fish and chips for lunch with mushy peas, the batter was almost like Tempura batter, very light and lovely white fish, no idea what it was but it certainly tasted nice. Only two of our tablemates were back for lunch, the other 4 had gone to view the Bayeux Tapestry on a Cunard tour. They weren’t due back until after 2pm having left just before 9am.

I have packed one of my cases and it just needs my clothes from this evening to complete it. I also have a suit carrier in which I hang my jackets, dinner suit and trousers, that will go out when I get back tonight after the Commodore Club. I will need to wander around tonight distributing some hard earned cash to a few good souls on board. I know that the automatic tipping is supposed to deal with it but people love a little folding being stuck in their little hands. I enjoy giving it to them, it is not massive amounts but every little helps I believe.

Tonight is elegant casual dress code which is the most relaxed Cunard get, I wear a tie because I don’t really think an open necked shirt looks correct with a jacket. We have had our third set of luggage tags delivered and our disembarkation time keeps moving earlier, we are scheduled to leave by 8.15am, this will put us nicely in the Southampton rush hour, great planning! We are sat in the Suite just making the most of all the facilities that are here, I do wish we could sit on the balcony or dine outside in the Al Fresco facility of the QG, but it would be madness to even think about it.

Tonight as we cross the English Channel we will only have 100 or so miles to go so we will be travelling very slowly and will probably arrive at Southampton early. The ship seems very quiet at the moment as people contemplate the ending of their trip, it really is not a pleasant feeling and everything seems flat and depressing. It is stupid really because it happens every time so we should be well used to it. If I have a chance I will report further tonight or failing that I will do so tomorrow when I am home. Thanks very much for your encouragement and your kind words and thank you for allowing me to share our experience with you.

My next trip is at Christmas down to the Canaries with P & O on the Artemis which is a lovely little ship and I am really looking forward to that. Again, thank you all.

Thanks very much for your encouragement and your kind words and thank you for allowing me to share our experience with you.

My next trip is at Christmas down to the Canaries with P & O on the Artemis which is a lovely little ship and I am really looking forward to that. Again, thank you all.

Thank you Jim for sharing this voyage with us, it has been a delight to read.

Best

Judy

It is 12.30 and the snow has just started to fall, it is quite heavy but isn’t currently settling, I hope that it doesn’t stretch over to England or if it does I would be grateful if it cleared by tomorrow morning.

Sorry to disappoint but I think the south east is quite badly hit today

The Met Office has issued heavy snow warnings for Yorkshire and Humber, east Midlands, east and north-east England, London and south-east England.

My husband and I have become quite obsessed by your menu choices and can't wait to find out after every meal. I know, we need to get a life, but will really miss this when you get home. Bizarrely he guessed you would have lobster bisque and fish last night. Thank you so much for your entertaining and informative thread BUT do you still prefer QM2?

My husband and I have become quite obsessed by your menu choices and can't wait to find out after every meal. I know, we need to get a life, but will really miss this when you get home. Bizarrely he guessed you would have lobster bisque and fish last night. Thank you so much for your entertaining and informative thread BUT do you still prefer QM2?

Yes I do :eek:

My steak tartar was prepared for me by the Maitre D’ whose name is Ico, he is a Croatian and it was lovely. Mrs P had a soufflé starter followed by Dover Sole, the fish was horrible and rubbery. I had Lamb Shank but the staff were mortified that her last meal was inedible. Having been served this dish she really didn’t fancy trying anything else. The waiter, David, who has been so attentive throughout our short trip was insistent and she ordered a small fillet steak, very well done. It was about three times the size of what she wanted but she made a valiant effort. We said our goodbyes to one couple who would get their breakfast in the Lido and said goodnight to the others as we would see them in the morning. It was a very nice table and we were pleased to meet all of them. Mrs P went back to the cabin to conclude her packing while I went to the Commodore Club to say my farewells. I got a little hijacked with some tricky Iced Tea cocktails but managed to get out by midnight which is really 11pm. Fantastic. Back to the suite and I finalised all my packing and put the bags outside nearly an hour early. It is unheard of!

That is it, the trip is over but we met a Royal Navy Frigate this evening at about 8.15 and it fired a salute to this ship with its’ cannons. Absolutely wonderful and we responded with our whistle three time. It makes the hair on my neck stand on end. It’s over now, we will be in Southampton soon and then home to reality, the butler will be a thing of the past and we will have to warm our own teacups. Life is so tough, but in 20 days we are on the Artemis to the Canaries for Christmas so life goes on. Thanks again and please take care of each other.

So glad you're enjoying your special upgrade! Just wondering: is the Ipad with newspapers something available to all QG passengers...or a perk of the Q1?:)

Upgrade fairy struck and I ended up in a Q2 on the 10NOV TA - the iPad with newspapers was offered (and welcomed) - no Gray Lady though (New York Times) - the International Herald Tribune (yesterday's NYT) was there along with USA Today (aka "Reading the Radio" or MacPaper) plus other international papers.

Archived