NCL, please make Cape Canaveral a full day!

drbabe

I also do not see the appeal of going to Cape Canaveral, I too would like to see a mix up in the ships leaving NYC. I would like to see Key West or another island close by. The 10 night cruises (gem & jewel) go to the same old places. After trying that route twice i need a change. I do not fly so I prefer NYC. I did the RCl cruise that mixed in Bermuda with the eastern Carrib. That was a good break. I will like to return to Bermuda but I am not sure of spending 3 days there.

A few years ago, NCL did schedule Key West from New York. But no NCL ever sailed that itinerary, which was changed back to the traditional itinerary long before a cruise to Key West.

Why?

NCL would have had to run their ships so fast that azipods bearings would be wearing out faster than they do now. I repeat again, I don't know of many cruise lines that invent itineraries requiring faster than 19 knots for prolonged periods.

About four years ago we were on the NCL Dawn (our first NCL cruise). We were supposed to go to Key West, Bahamas and another stop. I don't quite remember. What I do recall was that we never made it to Key West because the Dawn left NY with an azipod not working properly and we were docked in Norfolk for two days. Could not go anywhere south because there was a storm moving up the coast and the Captain made the decision to return to NY. There was a tremendous riot on board and it was just a mess. I believe that they changed the itinerary shortly after that cruise.

I do not fly so I prefer NYC. I did the RCl cruise that mixed in Bermuda with the eastern Carrib. That was a good break. I will like to return to Bermuda but I am not sure of spending 3 days there.

I would love to see more itineraries out of New York. I too would rather not fly with all the problems that surround flying these days. Leaving from New York is a great experience, very stress free. I would like to go on the Alaskian Cruise, however, I don't see that one leaving from NY anytime soon, lol. As you already know, Bermuda is beautiful and amazing. Staying at the Dockyard on the Dawn this past August was great. I would take the Bermuda itinerary over the Bahamas anytime. I have done Bermuda 3 times and Bahamas 2x. All a great time, however, Bermuda is much nicer. :)

I have done one of the seven day cruises out of NY and three of the 10 days ones. I spoke with a rep of NCL about this 5 years ago. The seven day sell very well(so much in fact that they put two ships on them). The Dawn had the heck kicked out of its engines by doing these every week for a few years(almost at full speed). Most cruise lines like to do leisurely cruises from Florida at much lower speeds. These long distance high speed cruises are expensive on Fuel too. Personally even a full day at Canaveral is insufficient for Disney/Universal or anything in Orlando IMO.

and I am scheduled for a one week with the grand kids in feb(on the Jewel 2/13)

so don't hold your breathe. I do think an 8 day would be better...but they like coming and going on the same day.

Adding Key West after dropping Port Canaveral to the itinerary means dropping another port, so your three port of call cruise turns into just two. I don't think a two port weekly cruise will sell.

It's 44 hours from New York to Port Canaveral, and an additional 17 hours between Port Canaveral and Key West, which must be traveled twice for a round trip cruise.

Port Canaveral to Key West = 368 miles. 19 knots = 22 mph

368 / 22 mph = 16.7 hours

So skipping PC means arriving in KW the following morning where it would spend a day before departing. Well, that's was a port day in the Bahamas lost.

You all are asking for the "physically" impossible in a one week cruise, like spoiled little children. Get real, and start suggesting for longer than weekly cruises.

I suppose NCL could switch one ship to a 8 day and 6 day cruise so Key West could be added on the 8 day cruise, but how do you squeeze three ports into a 6 day cruise? I again repeat, not many folks will buy into a two port cruise over 6 days, they're going to want three ports.

The idea that one ship sails the traditional 7 day itinerary while the other sails 8 day itinerary doesn't work. NCL tried 8 day itineraries from L.A. to reach a far away port and that experiment died a fairly quick death after two years. And now, two years removed, NCL had to drop that homeport because business was so bad. To add, that port was the second largest metro area in the US.

Currently the FLA/Bahama run has 1.5 sea days going south and 2.5 sea days heading north. If they sailed to Key West with 2.5 sea days they would have plenty of time to get there. From there they can then go to GSC and Nassau. If they left Nassau at 4:00 pm they could make it to NYC in 1.5 days. They do not need 2.5 sea days for the trip north. They eliminated Freeport as a 4th port to increase revenue with an extra sea day

As someone who hates to fly and drives down to NYC from Canada, I would love to see more options. I think the beach at Port Canaveral is beautiful and I like the option of taking the kids to the theme park. However, it is much too short a stop to make economic sense to visit the theme parks for a portion of the day.

I wish the Gem and the Jewel had different itiniaries - Key West would be great. I'd take an even longer cruise to get to the Mexican stops.

Alternatives from New York could be the ten and/or eleven day itineraries with two cruises in three weeks. NCL could do an Eastern Caribbean/Bermuda itinerary, but this would be significantly more expensive than a one week cruise. It will probably be cheaper and easier for many to do a fly/cruise for one week from Miami...

NCL could also get to Key West and the Bahamas with a ten and/or eleven day itineraries from New York too. The question is would cruisers pay at least a half again more for a ten and/or eleven day itineraries when many complain about the fares for one week cruises?

Eight day cruises should be avoided as if they were the plague. NCL paid dearly with those from LA in a vain attempt to get to Acapulco with as short an itinerary as possible. These had to be discounted as no one wished to pay for an extra day from LA either..

Its either seven, ten/eleven, or 14 day cruises folks... Keep in mind time and distance sailing at 19 knots, as no cruise line wishes to implement quicker, gas guzzling itineraries...

NCL/Apollo is going public. The new stockholders will hold management accountable... Stop dreaming of eight day cruises.... The main problem with eight day cruises is that they visit their ports of calls on different weekdays every week with the probability of not having any place to dock the ship from week to week... Get real folks....

To add, ~22 mph is ~19 knots. Few cruise lines, if any, invent itineraries that require averaging 20 knots or more. The only realistic way for NCL to arrive in Port Canaveral at 7 am is to leave New York City 5 hours earlier, meaning the ship will have to arrive in New York City 5 hours earlier too. I don't know of any cruise terminals open in the wee hours of the mornings.

NCL ships take 44 hours per the itinerary to reach Port Canaveral at 19 knots. The best they can do at maximum speeds, sailing at 24 knots, is a journey of 35 hours (9 hours less). Again, I repeat, few cruise lines schedule itineraries requiring 20 knots or more speeds, why should NCL be the only one that does?

The reason NCL places two ships running the same itinerary is because they have enough business to sell both ships with it. They don't need to have different itineraries to sell both ships. Another major advantage of using the same itinerary for both ships is having less shore excursion vendors under contract. A different port of call, Key West, Miami, etc, would require having additional shore excursion vendors under contract.

Why should NCL be the only one that does?

Because that's how they sold many New Yorkers on the NY-Fla/Bahamas when they began cruising the Dawn backi in 03, I believe.

My wife and I cruised on the Dawn back in April 04 with my 2 daughters. The advertising and the brochures highlighted a full day to enjoy the Orlando theme parks. I believe the ship arrived around 9am and stayed until 10 pm. I might be off by an hour on either side.

But we were easily able to get in a full day at Walt Disney World. We took the 1 hour or so drive to Disney and stayed in the park until about 7 and got back to the ship a good 2 hours before departure. We had a good 8 hours of WDW and did not feel too rushed.

We also took advantage of the airboat/ everglades tour in Miami and a wonderful beach day at GSC.

Having said that I agree with those who say NCL should mix it up abit. I am one who does not like taking the same cruise more than once. If NCL were to add Key West or Turks into the mix I would be trying to book NCL out of NY in the near future. Instead, If I cruise out of NY I am looking at the other cruiselines.

Why should NCL be the only one that does?

Because that's how they sold many New Yorkers on the NY-Fla/Bahamas when they began cruising the Dawn backi in 03, I believe.

My wife and I cruised on the Dawn back in April 04 with my 2 daughters. The advertising and the brochures highlighted a full day to enjoy the Orlando theme parks. I believe the ship arrived around 9am and stayed until 10 pm. I might be off by an hour on either side.

But we were easily able to get in a full day at Walt Disney World. We took the 1 hour or so drive to Disney and stayed in the park until about 7 and got back to the ship a good 2 hours before departure. We had a good 8 hours of WDW and did not feel too rushed.

We also took advantage of the airboat/ everglades tour in Miami and a wonderful beach day at GSC.

Having said that I agree with those who say NCL should mix it up abit. I am one who does not like taking the same cruise more than once. If NCL were to add Key West or Turks into the mix I would be trying to book NCL out of NY in the near future. Instead, If I cruise out of NY I am looking at the other cruiselines.

And that was with a brand new ship which this itinerary wore out quickly and when fuel was cheaper... None of the cruise lines today wish to guzzle fuel anymore or sail as quickly, its now 19 knots at best over a long distance...

I suppose NCL could copy RCI and sail nine and five day itineraries out of New York, nine days to the Virgin Islands and five days to Bermuda... But you would have only one day in Bermuda most likely, not three days...

The key is maintaining the same days at the port of calls as well as at the home port.... Otherwise you run the risk of having no place to dock....

If you check the NCL NY itineraries, you'll see they do offer 10 day Caribbean cruises from NY in January and early February. This year (or really 2011) the Gem and Jewel are each doing four of those cruises, and in 2012 one of ships will be offering that itinerary.

By the way, not all of us are that upset about NCL offering the same old, same old Port Canaveral/Bahamas cruises (not that I would object to some variety). We've done it a few times already, and are doing it again on Dec 12, and one more time two months later on Feb 12. We view the ship as a floating resort hotel offering everything we need, and I doubt I will even get off the ship, other than perhaps to stretch my legs for a few minutes. I love sitting at the pool in the relative peace and quiet found on port days.

I'm not upset either. I go for the ship so I can just hang out and rest and relax. As far as PC goes, IF we get off the ship on Tuesday, we might head over to Walmart. I'd just prefer to go else where so that Walmart isn't the big attraction for me. lol

A few years ago, NCL did schedule Key West from New York. But no NCL ever sailed that itinerary, which was changed back to the traditional itinerary long before a cruise to Key West.

Why?

NCL would have had to run their ships so fast that azipods bearings would be wearing out faster than they do now. I repeat again, I don't know of many cruise lines that invent itineraries requiring faster than 19 knots for prolonged periods.

That's right. We booked that cruise on the Dawn because of the stop in Key West and were very disappointed to find that they changed the itinerary. Hopefully one day they will figure out how to stop there from NYC. When they do, I will be first in line!!:D

I don't think most of us are "upset" about the current itineraries. We were just throwing ideas around to suggest some changes. I would go on any of the NY sailings again in a hearbeat! :)

When I read words like "PC is boring", "It's not worth it", "take us anywhere but PC" and "Port Canaveral is the worst destination on the itinerary", I would say there are definitely a significant number of upset people. ;)

When I read words like "PC is boring", "It's not worth it", "take us anywhere but PC" and "Port Canaveral is the worst destination on the itinerary", I would say there are definitely a significant number of upset people. ;)

It goes right along with all the "suggestions" to change out Bollywood in the past. If you go on the same ship over and over one should expect to get bored with the offering. A great solution would be to hop on a plane and fly to another departure port and a whole new set of ports await.

Just a thought to assist jump starting the economy. :D

PE

It goes right along with all the "suggestions" to change out Bollywood in the past. If you go on the same ship over and over one should expect to get bored with the offering. A great solution would be to hop on a plane and fly to another departure port and a whole new set of ports await.

PE

Variety is the spice in life. It also doesn't hurt if you cruised on another line which goes to different ports. It may require some compromises with price and rules, but the other ports of call are available...

NCL chooses their bread and butter Florida/Bahamas cruises from New York as its the most profitable and popular one week cruise for the fares they can generate. Other more expensive and upscaled cruise lines may do different itineraries which are the most profitable for them...

PE

Variety is the spice in life. It also doesn't hurt if you cruised on another line which goes to different ports. It may require some compromises with price and rules, but the other ports of call are available...

NCL chooses their bread and butter Florida/Bahamas cruises from New York as its the most profitable and popular one week cruise for the fares they can generate. Other more expensive and upscaled cruise lines may do different longer itineraries which are the most profitable for them...

PE

I was on the Dawn again recently and skipped all the shows since they were the same from the last time I had been on. (16 months prior)

Hoping to see some new/fresh shows next week. :D

I agree about the Bahamas/Florida itinerary. It is getting old. Time for a change to different ports. People have been complaining on these boards for quite some time now. You would think that NCL would try to change something so it is not the same from year to year. Please NCL make a Change. :(

One suggestion is to move the 2 sea days at the end to the front and instead of getting in on tuesday get in on wednesday.

One posters mentioned that going down they are fighting the Jet Stream. With having the additional time on the front end it would save on fuel as the ship would not need to go as fast as it now does. And on the way back it gets the speed boost from the jet stream which again should save on fuel.

I know Carnival does 7am to 7pm in Port Canaveral on wednesday with the Pride out of Baltimore.

Archived