Cruise for Christmas gift. What if we can't go after payment?

First, I apologize as I'm sure this has been covered a 1000 times here and secondly, I "could" call RCI but prefer not to (do everything online for starters and am also not a fan of the folks running the phones at RCI).

SO, I'm going to buy a cruise for the wife and I mid to late Jan 11. I assume I'll have to pay in full, etc. I'm 99% sure we can go but with it being a surprise gift I can't exactly ask her if it's a go or not.

What happens if I have to cancel? Any other pertinent info greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

As far as I am aware, if you plan to book for January 2011, like you said, you will have to pay in full. Im not even sure you can obtain trip insurance, no less some sort that would cover you for "not being able to go", unless it is a health related issue. Your employer not giving you the time off is probably not covered....And RCI will not give you your money back.

Someone correct me if this has changed.

A surprise on this sort of scale really should be discussed before planned. I think in theory, it is a wonderful and thoughtful idea, but before paying for it, talk it over with the Mrs!

I agree. Why not "surprise" her with it today, and then plan together. Or, if it's an issue about her getting off work or something, could you perhaps contact her boss and ask for time off for her?

Much appreciated! :) I know her quite well and we've discussed the cruise in question in the past so I'm sure I have the right one picked out.

I thought perhaps it might be handled similar to a canceled airline ticket (most I fly with anyway). If you have to cancel you still have the credit (for a year in most instances) but have to pay a "rebooking" fee when you actually do fly. $100-$200 per person usually.

And be aware, most trip insurance only covers cancellation for stated reasons -- usually illness or death of a travelling companion or things like that. I am not aware of any "I changed my mind" or even "my boss decided I can't have the week off" insurance out there.

And be aware, most trip insurance only covers cancellation for stated reasons -- usually illness or death of a travelling companion or things like that. I am not aware of any "I changed my mind" or even "my boss decided I can't have the week off" insurance out there.

Yes, there is. It's called "cancel for any reason" insurance, and as stated above, is much more expensive than other policies and must be purchased very soon after booking the cruise.

http://www.insuremytrip.com/cfar.html

Actually, this is not necessarily true. I just purchased travel insurance for our upcoming cruise. There were policies available (albeit at higher prices) that included clauses for 1) job related issues and 2) cancel for any reason.

Do some research on travel insurance policies (not the one RC offers) *before* you make final payment. Most insurance must be purchased with in 10 days of payment of the trip. A quick internet search will turn up several sites that do a 'compare policies' thing. Most will tell you upfront if these extra clauses are available and how much extra they tack on to the regular price.

There may be ways, again expensive ways, to insure your trip.

Having said all that, if DH paid for a cruise without consulting me, there might be trouble in our household. ;) I'm just saying...

31 - 60 days before cruise: $250 pp

8 - 30 days before cruise: 50% (taxes excluded)

0 - 7 days before cruise: 100%

This pretty much answers my question..Since the cruise is late the last week of Jan I could "escape" with a $250 pp penalty. As I said before, it's a 99.5% probability the cruise will be a go. I like those odds. :) My wife trusts my judgment when it comes to all things travel related (not one complaint after dozens of vacations over the years)! We've talked about this cruise before as well.

Thanks much for all the input and please feel free to add any other thoughts, etc.

Having said all that, if DH paid for a cruise without consulting me, there might be trouble in our household. ;) I'm just saying...

I, on the other hand, WOULD LOVE IT if my husband did that! He never will, though, as he doesn't share my love for cruising and has to be talked into it every time.:(

My DH surprised me with an anniversary cruise...here's how he did it, so adjust for how your wife would feel....

1.He got the childcare taken care of, and arranged for grandparents to watch the kids for the week

2.He picked out a cruise that he thought we'd like, and printed out the itinerary map from the RCI website. He wrote on it "Happy Anniversary...a Cruise for TWO!" (we have 4 kids)

3. He put it in a ring box, wrapped that, and gave it to me.

This worked for me because I would much rather have a cruise than a ring. So, I was really happy when I opened up the ring box and saw the little map.

Also, it worked for me because I'm a planner. I love reading here, researching, etc. etc. etc...I obsessed about picking the cabin, the excursions, the flights, and all of that, and I LOVE doing that. So, I was SO happy that he "gave" me a cruise, but I got to do all the planning :)

Maybe the present could be a suite instead of a balcony and surprise her that way. Would love my DH to do something like that for me - I am the planner.

Good idea! If I don't go for the complete surprise that would be a pretty good substitute. Then again, maybe do both! :) I'm the planner here too, totally. I suppose that plays a big role in the replies and thoughts on this matter.

Thanks again and thanks for the well wishes. Don't want to kill the thread though so any other contributions are more than welcome!

I like the idea of wrapping up a toy cruise ship and spending Christmas morning picking out the ship and itinerary.

If you are dead-set on booking it now, you can try what I did. I have a secret trip to Vegas booked for my husband during my spring break in March. I told him that my mother, brother, and nieces were all going to Wisconsin Dells then, and that we have to go as well. I did this to ensure that he will get the time off (my original plan was to work it through his boss, but nobody in that company can keep it a secret). He begrudgeningly agreed since Wisconsin Dells isn't that much fun (nor is spending tons of time with my family ;)).

So you could tell her that you need to go visit family or something, and casually ask which week would work for her to tag along.

Maybe the present could be a suite instead of a balcony and surprise her that way. Would love my DH to do something like that for me - I am the planner.

I'm the planner as well and would also be THRILLED if by DH thught to do this for me.:)

Based on your original timeline you would fall into the 50% penalty period if

you cancelled after Christmas .

You seem to want to have it as a done deal.

I would think twice about commiting to the cruise in advance of speaking

to your spouse .

Let her be part of the process, looking over the itinerary, selecting the room

and planning what excursions she would like.

The idea of a gift under the tree, still has the element of suprise and shows

what you want to do for her.

THE ONLY REASON TO PRE PACKAGE IT is that your afraid that she might not

want to or cant go - back to my title "I thought the gift is for her "

PS the is the male of our team speaking.

I wouldn't be happy if DH booked a cruise without talking it over with me first. He actually gave me a cruise as my Christmas present this year. I was tickled because he asked if I would like a specific ship and sailing date for my gift. It was a surprise, and I have the enjoyment of being part of the planning. So, my suggestion is to talk to your wife before doing anything.

Archived