A $30 burger?

nobog

Hi Don and Cindy:).....maybe people are thinking it is 5.00 per crepe?
It is 5.00 for all you care to eat~soup, pannin's, regular crepes, dessert
crepes...the whole meal is 5 bucks. Not bad:D

[quote name='Infi']Agree with this 100%. To those who complain about the charge, think of how many things one wastes $5 on in daily life...Starbucks coffee, bad fast food, etc. I'd rather have one of Bistro's crepes for that price. $5 is a bargain for the quality meal you get.

My one concern is that because Bistro is always so empty, X will eventually get rid of it. But they keep putting it on S-class ships, so it must either be making money, or at least, it isn't losing that much money.[/QUOTE]

On 3 S class cruises including a TA the only people I ever saw in the Bistro were the workers standing at the entrance watching people walk by. I'm a Celebrity fan but hung up on the $5. Maybe they should have never said it was going to be included.

The announcement turned me off. When i first read it i too thought $30 for a burger and pizza. As long as they offer Blu I am sold sold.

[quote name='Lois R']Hi Don and Cindy:).....maybe people are thinking it is 5.00 per crepe?
It is 5.00 for all you care to eat~soup, pannin's, regular crepes, dessert
crepes...the whole meal is 5 bucks. Not bad:D[/quote]

I think you're right, Lois. It's a good bargain for $5. You'd be hard pressed to find a full meal on land for that price. Not saying that you could eat all of those items at Bistro and still come out alive, either! ;)

[quote name='Brad1185']On 3 S class cruises including a TA the only people I ever saw in the Bistro were the workers standing at the entrance watching people walk by. I'm a Celebrity fan but hung up on the $5. Maybe they should have never said it was going to be included.

The announcement turned me off. When i first read it i too thought $30 for a burger and pizza. As long as they offer Blu I am sold sold.[/quote]

I agree with you that they never should have said Bistro on 5 was free and then charged the $5. I remember the outcry when they changed it, though I do understand they did it to maintain the quality and so the place wouldn't be swamped. But, that was over two years ago now, and I'd bet most people have forgotten about it or never knew it was originally going to be free.
We ate there for lunch on our last cruise (trying to skip the awful MDR Brunch) and there were three tables other than ours, one of which was staff. I think the problem is that it's not really in a well-trafficked area. If one does go to deck 5 midship, it's for Cafe al Bacio or the specialty restaurants, not for Bistro. It doesn't get much traffic from the forward end (upscale shops and Molecular bar) either.

As for the $30 pizza and burgers...I think Celebrity would be foolish to charge $30 for lunch. Most will be fine with $30 for dinner, but that much for lunch is asking a lot. $5-10 would be appropriate, IMHO. If they have trouble getting people into Bistro for $5...well, they can't go much higher for another lunch venue. But, maybe the restaurant will get more traffic and interest because of the expanded Lawn Club. Time will tell.

We ate at Bistro on boarding day...empty and fast service! I had the BEST chicken ceasar salad I've ever eaten. The dressing was very obviously made like the old fashioned dressings, with egg, etc. And the server was able to give me a half portion salad, and a half portion panini. I couldn't finish the panini, but it was very good as well.

My husband had soup and a crepe (the cowboy) and really enjoyed it. The server was surprised when we didn't want dessert. He told us he would have to call security. :) Very good service and worth $5 not to carry my luggage to the crowded buffet.

We also kept forgetting that it was open until 2am. (and open at 6am).

There were certainly times at 10:30 that I would have loved a salad or soup, and forgot it was open.

Here's a question, the menu said gelato was available when the gelateria was open...would that be included?

OP here, thanks for all the great comments. At min it looks like this hit a nerve. The food thing is just not big of a deal for us. Thats what makes a $30 burger (or $5 or whatever) just not worth it - especially considering the quality of the MRD. Happy eating whatever venue you pick :).

JK

Funny how threads evolve. This started out about the new S-Class modifications, and especially the removal of the glass-blowing and being replaced by a dining venue that may cost $30 and could for a lunch also......should be interesting to see how it really evolves. But now we are talking about a $5 crepe because someone wouldn't pay that amount.

Personally, I hope enough people don't realize its $5 for the entire meal (heck, you can order 2, 3 or more servings so you could get the crepes down to $1 each!). But don't tell anyone...just enough of us to use it to keep it open.

By the way, not sure what people expect for $5....but a good crepe, even one I think would suffice. And at Bistro's, you can add a panini, soup, salad and a drink...and it covers tip since it really is for service. For those that still worry about the $5, my wife and I went there one night and had a light crepe each. That was it. our waitress wanted to make sure we understood we could have more, but we just wanted a light snack. When she brought the bill, she only charged us for one, $5. Very nice.Added the extra $5 as an additional tip.

Now back to wherever this thread takes us. As I said before, enjoyed the glass-blowing, and glad is remains (at least for a while) on the original S-Class ships, but like the idea of changes....and this is a business so not sure why anyone questions them adding something that increases their revenue, and doesn't cost you a dime since it isn't a required venue to take part in.

Den

Archived